Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله

Name for a Masjid/Mosque

Rate this topic

• Advanced Member

(salam) ,

I'm not sure if I have posted in the correct forum, but mods you can switch this to whichever forum is best.

My family has mashallah se found land to construct a masjid on. We really needed one here in richmond, VA and we are very happy that now we can finally build one for all the community members here :)

One problem we are facing though, is naming our masjid. We want to keep the name centered around Imam Mehdi [as]. We were thinking of the name Imam Mehdi Center, but we arent too sure about it. Then we all thought and agreed on "Bait-ul-Asr'' yet when we asked moulana about it, he said that this name doesnt make sense because its translated into 'house of time'. so now that name is sort of pending. then moulana suggested naming it ''bait-ul-imam-e-asr'' but that seems too long. or we could keep ''bait-ul-mehdi''

hmmm i'm not sure, but if anyone here has any suggestions on names for our masjid, please let me know :)

it doesnt have to revolve around Imam Mehdi[as] of course, but thats kind of like our 'theme' i guess.

Thank you and please make dua for us and this masjid, so that inshallah it may flourish :)

• Advanced Member

Congratulations,

The author S. A. A. Razwy once said that we should try to name our centers (in the US) so outsiders can easily understand them.

If I were a non Muslim interested in Islam, I would be more prone to going to a place called the "Islamic Center of Richmond" then a center called, "Imam-e-Zaman Center."

You should keep the word Islam. How about, "Imam Mahdi Islamic Center." Nice, simple, and because it has Islamic in it people will know exactly what it is.

In New York, there's a center called "Islamic Center of Suffolk County" but it more commonly known as "Shah-e-Najaf Center." So you can have two names also.

Good luck and may Allah keep your endeavors pure. Ameen.

Wa Salaam,

Dhulfiqar

• Veteran Member
(salam) ,

I'm not sure if I have posted in the correct forum, but mods you can switch this to whichever forum is best.

My family has mashallah se found land to construct a masjid on. We really needed one here in richmond, VA and we are very happy that now we can finally build one for all the community members here :)

One problem we are facing though, is naming our masjid. We want to keep the name centered around Imam Mehdi [as]. We were thinking of the name Imam Mehdi Center, but we arent too sure about it. Then we all thought and agreed on "Bait-ul-Asr'' yet when we asked moulana about it, he said that this name doesnt make sense because its translated into 'house of time'. so now that name is sort of pending. then moulana suggested naming it ''bait-ul-imam-e-asr'' but that seems too long. or we could keep ''bait-ul-mehdi''

hmmm i'm not sure, but if anyone here has any suggestions on names for our masjid, please let me know :)

it doesnt have to revolve around Imam Mehdi[as] of course, but thats kind of like our 'theme' i guess.

Thank you and please make dua for us and this masjid, so that inshallah it may flourish :)

Mabrook!

How about Baytullah or Musjidullah? :unsure:

Edited by JawzofDETH
  • Veteran Member

(salam)

(bismillah)

It would help if it's called Islamic Centre of "Whatever," because people who are looking up an Islamic Centre in the phone book or online will most likely look up Islam or Muslim when they are searching. This could help if people are looking to learn about Islam. They aren't going to search for Arabic/Urdu/Farsi etc. words to find a masjed, they will search "Islam." :)

Edited by Ali al-Mahdi
  • 2 weeks later...