Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله
Sign in to follow this  
Dr_Mehdi

Bio of Anousheh Ansari Mashadi:1st Woman Space Tourist

Rate this topic

Bio of Anousheh Ansari

By THE ASSOCIATED PRESS

Anousheh Ansari is scheduled to travel into space Monday aboard a Russian rocket, becoming the first woman space tourist.

Age: 40, born Sept. 12, 1966, in Mashhad, a city in northern Iran.

Education: Bachelor's degree in electronics and computer engineering from George Mason University in Virginia; master's degree in electrical engineering from George Washington University.

Career: Co-founder and chief executive of telecom technologies inc., a maker of software for switching signals on phone networks in the Dallas suburb of Richardson, Texas. Company was sold in 2000 to Sonus Networks Inc., which says it paid $552.6 million in Sonus stock. Was a vice president at Sonus. Co-founded venture-capital and home-networking-technology firm Prodea Systems Inc. in Plano, Texas. Helped finance the Ansari X Prize in 2002, which paid $10 million to the operators of SpaceShipOne for being first to make two successful privately financed manned trips into space.

Family: Lives in Plano with husband, Hamid, who co-founded the Ansari companies. No children.

Quote: "People think they reach the height of their life at age 40. I'm hoping this is just the beginning of another hill that I will be climbing."

060824_ansari_vsml_2p.jpg

"By reaching this dream I’ve had since childhood, I hope to tangibly demonstrate to young people all over the world that there is no limit to what they can accomplish..." --Anousheh Ansari

Anousheh wants to serve as a true space ambassador. She wants to be able to share the spaceflight experience with as many people as possible, and use her experience to help educate. She intends to document her mission in as much detail as possible, so as to completely communicate the spaceflight experience for future spaceflight participants. She also wants to use the mission to further educate children on the importance of space travel and life in space.

During her flight, Space Adventures will make regular updates to site so you can follow her progress.

http://www.spaceadventures.com/anousheh-ansari

Anousheh Ansari expects to become the first female space tourist ever.

Video (3 minutes - 300kbps)

http://cosmos.bcst.yahoo.com/up/news?ch=61...035〈=en

http://cosmos.bcst.yahoo.com/scp_v3/viewer...98&rn=497...

"By reaching this dream I've had since childhood, I hope to tangibly

demonstrate to young people all over the world that there is no limit

to what they can accomplish", said Anousheh Ansari, chairman and

co-founder of Prodea Systems, Inc., a revolutionary digital home

technology company that is sponsoring her efforts. "I'm thankful to

both Space Adventures and Dice-K Enomoto for providing me this

opportunity".

"We are pleased to announce this historic event, the world's first

female space tourist, and are overjoyed that Anousheh is ready for

flight. She has been training diligently for several months now and has

been certified for flight", said Eric Anderson, president and CEO of

Space Adventures. "We celebrate Anousheh's dedication in her

spaceflight preparations and wish her a successful and awe-inspiring

mission".

r3644028171.jpg

Anousheh Ansari is president, founder, and CEO of telecom technologies,

inc. (tti), a supplier of softswitch based solutions for network and

service providers offering end-to-end solutions for next generation,

carrier-grade multi-service networks.

More slideshow here

http://www.siliconiran.com/company_profile.../officers/ano...

The world's first female space tourist

http://english.people.com.cn/200607/24/eng...724_286119.html

Edited by Dr_Mehdi

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/science/nature/5355022.stm

_42098696_ansafp.jpg

The first woman space tourist has blasted off on a Russian Soyuz rocket from Baikonur in Kazakhstan.

The mission is carrying Iranian-born businesswoman, Anousheh Ansari, along with a fresh crew for the International Space Station (ISS).

Ms Ansari, a 40-year-old US citizen, is thought to have paid at least $20m (£10.6m) for the mission.

Lift off took place at 1010 local time (0410 GMT) and the Soyuz has entered orbit successfully, officials said.

The mission is expected to reach the ISS on Wednesday.

The Atlantis shuttle, which undocked from the ISS on Sunday, is expected to land back on Earth on Wednesday.

'Fragile Earth'

Ms Ansari is accompanying Russian cosmonaut Mikhail Tyurin and US astronaut Michael Lopez-Alegria, who will join German astronaut Thomas Reiter on the station.

She is the fourth space tourist.

Ahead of lift-off Ms Ansari said she was an ambassador for attracting private investment into space programmes.

Ms Ansari, who made her fortune in telecoms, also said the trip would put the planet into perspective.

"You'll see how small and how fragile the Earth is compared to the rest of the universe. It will give us a better sense of responsibility."

On the ISS, Ms Ansari will carry out experiments on back pain for the European Space Agency.

Ms Ansari replaced Japanese businessman Daisuke Enomoto, who dropped out due to unspecified medical reasons.

Cosmonaut Tyurin said Ms Ansari had been "very professional" in her training.

Ms Ansari will return on 28 September with two other space station occupants.

The returning Atlantis crew has seen the addition of two massive solar panel wings for the station's power generation.

(bismillah)

(salam)

The fact that she's Shia isn't rare. It would be more rare is she was a practsing Muslim woman. Shia or Sunni, as long as she has her deen strong, then I would be more interested.

B.T.W., 26 million $ isn't worth it.

I read an article about this. She is form mashad and said once she gets to teh space station she is goign to take four pics: her house in mashad and three places that hold close to her heart within that region. She is probably going to look at kerbala, najaf, and kaaba.

She arrived to the us when she was 16 and created a huge telecommunication service in LA. SHe and husband sold the company for millions.

Err not as an insult or attack or anything - but how do you know she's shia at all? Just because shes iranian doesn't make her shia. She could be Sunni, Jewish, Zoroastrian, etc...

-

rahat

Err not as an insult or attack or anything - but how do you know she's shia at all? Just because shes iranian doesn't make her shia. She could be Sunni, Jewish, Zoroastrian, etc...

-

rahat

my assumption is based on her last name, location in iran, and the fact that her husband and brother in law have shia names.

Enjoy further comments about her by clicking here

Ansari and her family left Iran a few years after the Islamic revolution, in part because the opportunities for a young girl to study science were becoming limited there.

Speaking no English when she arrived as a teenager with her family in Virginia, she went on to earn bachelor's and master's degrees in engineering within a few years.

She and her husband married in 1991 and later moved to Texas to start a company that made signal-switching software for phone networks.

In 2000, at the height of the telecommunications boom, they sold their suburban Dallas company to Massachusetts-based Sonus Networks Inc. for $550 million in Sonus stock.

The value of those shares slid from $40 to under $5 as the telecom industry collapsed but her husband said they had "enough opportunity to sell enough shares to earn financial independence."

The timing of some stock sales led to shareholder suits against Sonus and nine people, including Anousheh Ansari. The plaintiffs accused her of illegal insider trading in the sale of $26.3 million in Sonus stock.

A spokeswoman for the couple said the Securities and Exchange Commission never accused Mrs. Ansari of insider trading.

Edited by Dr_Mehdi

I read an article about this. She is form mashad and said once she gets to teh space station she is goign to take four pics: her house in mashad and three places that hold close to her heart within that region. She is probably going to look at kerbala, najaf, and kaaba.

She arrived to the us when she was 16 and created a huge telecommunication service in LA. SHe and husband sold the company for millions.

Why would you be happier if she had her Kaaba in some place slse like Bombay or Bankok, Singapore or may be even in the Congo or the Amazon or Ladakh /Tibet?. I say get a life man. Sho should she and forget about having pics taken from space of holy spots she shoud also just plainly enjoy the experience