Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله

Is this true? Ayatollah Ali Khamenei issued a fatwa forbidding

Rate this topic

• Advanced Member

(salam)

I remember reading this on Wikipedia's site about Iranian Nuclear program at the following address.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nuclear_program_of_Iran

It is mentioned in the end of the Article where it mentions, "Timeline".

August 9, 2005: The Iranian Head of State Ayatollah Ali Khamenei issued a fatwa forbidding the production, stockpiling and use of nuclear weapons. The full text of the fatwa was released in an official statement at the meeting of the International Atomic Energy Agency in Vienna.

A search on GOOGLE and there are alot of references to the above fatwa.

Was this fatwa really issued? :Hijabi: If yes, then I am not able to think why? Are we not supposed to ARM ourselves so our enemies can't even look at us with bad eyes? :huh:

If someone has a link to the whole fatwa please link me there.

Wa'Salam

(salam)

I remember reading this on Wikipedia's site about Iranian Nuclear program at the following address.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nuclear_program_of_Iran

It is mentioned in the end of the Article where it mentions, "Timeline".

August 9, 2005: The Iranian Head of State Ayatollah Ali Khamenei issued a fatwa forbidding the production, stockpiling and use of nuclear weapons. The full text of the fatwa was released in an official statement at the meeting of the International Atomic Energy Agency in Vienna.

A search on GOOGLE and there are alot of references to the above fatwa.

Was this fatwa really issued? :Hijabi: If yes, then I am not able to think why? Are we not supposed to ARM ourselves so our enemies can't even look at us with bad eyes? :huh:

Wa'Salam

i doubt it.

• Advanced Member
(bismillah)

The nuclear weapon is an evil weapon, whose advocacy comes only from evil people.....i.e., Christo-Fascists(as they are the only ones to employ them. Even the atheists have never used nuclear weapons).

assalamalaikum

when have atheists ever had a country?

• Advanced Member

^ China is officially atheist.

The Patri0t what can a nuclear bomb achieve? It's a mass killing device which can devastate cities and countries and ruin every form of life. It sure doesnt classify as a weapon, nuclear bombs are mechanical monsters.

Edited by Mohsin
  • Advanced Member
^ China is officially atheist.

The Patri0t what can a nuclear bomb achieve? It's a mass killing device which can devastate cities and countries and ruin every form of life. It sure doesnt classify as a weapon, nuclear bombs are mechanical monsters.

(salam)

Just speculating, but it would do good when an enormous fleet of enemy warships are out in the middle of the ocean :)

• Advanced Member
? Are we not supposed to ARM ourselves so our enemies can't even look at us with bad eyes?

Muslims should have enough nuclear wepons to detor an attack, if america attacks Iran then Iran in return nukes a couple american city then i doubt america will attack iran again, also if Iran gets a nuclear wepon befor america tries to invade them (Inshallah i dose not happen) I doubt thier invade iran out of scardness just as they don't invade north korea or China.

• Advanced Member
Muslims should have enough nuclear wepons to detor an attack, if america attacks Iran then Iran in return nukes a couple american city then i doubt america will attack iran again, also if Iran gets a nuclear wepon befor america tries to invade them (Inshallah i dose not happen) I doubt thier invade iran out of scardness just as they don't invade north korea or China.

You seem to have a fundamental misconception of how nuclear war works. If in response to a conventional attack by the US, Iran nukes anything even remotely connected to America, that day will be the last day of Iran's existence on this planet....

• Advanced Member

(salam)

Wo wo wo. I am not saying ATTACKING any country with it. All I said is you need weapons to defend yourselves and if a country has a Nuclear weapon, will it's enemies dare to attack that country? Have the countries with nukes been officially attacked by another enemy country?

I was hearing Mahateer Mohammad few days ago. He was talking about muslims having enough to defend themselves and he did mention Nukes too. The idea here is not of ATTACKING with nuke but preventing YOU from being attacked. Is that not true?

You seem to have a fundamental misconception of how nuclear war works. If in response to a conventional attack by the US, Iran nukes anything even remotely connected to America, that day will be the last day of Iran's existence on this planet....

Of course you know that there shall be no nuclear exchange; the prices are just too heavy for all of humanity, and you know how that works.

Edited by Cyan_Garamond
  • Advanced Member

(salam)

How are the following Ayah's of Qu'ran explained?

وَأَعِدُّواْ لَهُم مَّا اسْتَطَعْتُم مِّن قُوَّةٍ وَمِن رِّبَاطِ الْخَيْلِ تُرْهِبُونَ بِهِ عَدْوَّ اللّهِ وَعَدُوَّكُمْ وَآخَرِينَ مِن دُونِهِمْ لاَ تَعْلَمُونَهُمُ اللّهُ يَعْلَمُهُمْ وَمَا تُنفِقُواْ مِن شَيْءٍ فِي سَبِيلِ اللّهِ يُوَفَّ إِلَيْكُمْ وَأَنتُمْ لاَ تُظْلَمُونَ {60}

[shakir 8:60] And prepare against them what force you can and horses tied at the frontier, to frighten thereby the enemy of Allah and your enemy and others besides them, whom you do not know (but) Allah knows them; and whatever thing you will spend in Allah's way, it will be paid back to you fully and you shall not be dealt with unjustly.

[Yusufali 8:60] Against them make ready your strength to the utmost of your power, including steeds of war, to strike terror into (the hearts of) the enemies, of Allah and your enemies, and others besides, whom ye may not know, but whom Allah doth know. Whatever ye shall spend in the cause of Allah, shall be repaid unto you, and ye shall not be treated unjustly.

[Pickthal 8:60] Make ready for them all thou canst of (armed) force and of horses tethered, that thereby ye may dismay the enemy of Allah and your enemy, and others beside them whom ye know not. Allah knoweth them. Whatsoever ye spend in the way of Allah it will be repaid to you in full, and ye will not be wronged.

[Pooya/Ali Commentary 8:60]

Every infidel community was a prospective enemy of Islam.

Quwwat literally means "force or strength". It implies: Be always on the alert, fully prepared for defence and offence, and keep yourselves well armed and quipped with the best weapons, fully trained in the art of war, so that the enemy may not think that you are weak and surprise you with a sudden attack as was done by the Makkans at Badr.

The preparation is to maintain peace by preventing the enemy to commit aggression against you. If you are fully ready to counter their attack they will think twice before launching an offensive adventure.

If the enemy offers peace, rely on Allah and accept it. In case of deception on their part have faith in Allah. He will help and protect you through His chosen friend, Ali ibn abi Talib.

Refer to the commentary of al Baqarah: 190 to 193 and 217.

In Tafsir Durr al Manthur, Jalal al Din al Suyuti quotes Ibn Asakir for reporting the following sentences, written on the arsh, on the authority of the Holy Prophet:

Allah! I am alone. There is no partner with Me. Muhammad is My servant and messenger. I help him with Ali.

The history of Islam fully confirms this declaration.

Aqa Mahdi Puya says:

Ali played a decisive role in Badr, Khandaq, Uhad, Khaybar, Hunayn and other battles, but Allah attributes the actions of the Holy Prophet and Ali to Himself because both of them were the hands of Allah, and through them He made effective His will. On this basis the Holy Prophet declared before the conquest of the fort of Khaybar:

Ali will not come back until Allah wins victory for us through his hands.

Edited by The Patri0t
  • Advanced Member

Salaam,

Ayatollah Khamanei has explicitly forbidden Nuclear Weapons technology, on numerous occasions, and publically. A device built to kill hundreds of thousands of civillians is against the will of our Holy Imam, and ALL of our Maraja are united in this regard.

-

rahat

(salam)

Wa'Salam

(salam)

the fatwa was issued, it is true, nuclear weapons are haram.

• Advanced Member

(salam)

Thanks all for replies.

@rahat: All of our Maraja are united in this regard? Can you please point me to authentic references from other Marajas?

@Katayon: So this means Iran will never try to have a nuclear weapon? Does a nuclear weapon not guarantee peace?

@SlaveofGod: Please! I know Allah is with us but you need to have WEAPONS in order to fight.

No body has explained to me the Ayah I posted above. *sigh* So I am going to post it in the Qur'an section.

Thanks.

• Veteran Member

(bismillah)

(salam)

Bro Patriot, I do believe every country has the right to protect itself from predators, however, I think our scholars were more concerned about the massive effects of these weapons (i.e., the deaths of millions), and the rise of a greater war.

As sister Natalie stated, only terrorists desire WMD's.

• Advanced Member

(salam)

I dont think the fatwa is entirely true as it is quoted in the mentioned articles. I am going to ask Sayid Khamenei's office about this issue and will post it inshallah.

From my understanding of reading up on the issue is that it is haraam to use nukes but building them is not because they act as deterrents.

Now someone could ask whats the point of building them if its haraam to use them, the answer is simple.

When a marjae makes a fatwa they dont close the door on building off of this fatwa. So if the fatwa says its haraam to use them, i believe, and I could be wrong, to use them in an offensive manner. But by using them on military targets, ie. a US base in the Indian Ocean, in response can be justified in my view.

For me I think Iran is not pursueing nuclear weapons but are building all the facilites and gaining the know how to be able to build one if it becomes necessary.

Wasalaam

Edited by Guiding Light
  • Advanced Member
Bro Patriot, I do believe every country has the right to protect itself from predators, however, I think our scholars were more concerned about the massive effects of these weapons (i.e., the deaths of millions), and the rise of a greater war

i agree with ya

bro

take pakistan as xample

we needed NUKES for pur defense against india

it s a detternece for us

and when NUKES are an instrumesnt for peace in our particular case with india then i think its ok

• Advanced Member

Ok so according to the reasons given by people above guns,tanks,arrows,swords should be haram too cuz they have killed more people (maybe not all at once but over time) historically than any other weapon (swords).

Patriot posted some very relevant ayahs too in this regard.

If lebanon had nuclear war heads, would Israel have attacked it?

• Advanced Member
lemme aswer

pakistan

How come I never heard that. :dry:

Ok so according to the reasons given by people above guns,tanks,arrows,swords should be haram too cuz they have killed more people (maybe not all at once but over time) historically than any other weapon (swords).

Patriot posted some very relevant ayahs too in this regard.

If lebanon had nuclear war heads, would Israel have attacked it?

Finally someone who understands my point. THANKS!!! I am talking about being capable of them so the enemy knows we have them and they won't attack.

Edited by The Patri0t
  • Veteran Member
@Wise Muslim: Ok, if that's the case then which muslim country has mastered, "precision-guided bombs"???

(bismillah)

(salam)

So your saying the best form of protection are WMD's. Well, it's also more then enough to wipe half of the world population. Lets say a Muslim country does possess WMD's, and any country sets a surprise attack, well, that Muslim country hesitates to the best form of protection, and well since WMD's are so precise and massive, they decide to use them. The consequences are beyond eternity for hell.

I mean, every country has a reason to attack. No country would urge to use WMD's at anytime except terrorist. Isreal invaded Lebanon with war planes and heavy shelterd bombs, and Hizbollah fought back with the neccessary weapons. They didn't use long range missle rockets that could reach Tell Aviv, because this would be more then protection.

Point is; weapons of mass destruction are not instruments used to protect, but create war and destruction.

• Advanced Member
(bismillah)

(salam)

So your saying the best form of protection are WMD's. Well, it's also more then enough to wipe half of the world population. Lets say a Muslim country does possess WMD's, and any country sets a surprise attack, well, that Muslim country hesitates to the best form of protection, and well since WMD's are so precise and massive, they decide to use them. The consequences are beyond eternity for hell.

I mean, every country has a reason to attack. No country would urge to use WMD's at anytime except terrorist. Isreal invaded Lebanon with war planes and heavy shelterd bombs, and Hizbollah fought back with the neccessary weapons. They didn't use long range missle rockets that could reach Tell Aviv, because this would be more then protection.

Point is; weapons of mass destruction are not instruments used to protect, but create war and destruction.

I never said WMD's are precise. They are massive which will feed enough fear in the hearts of your enemies. They will not attack. "No country would urge to use WMD's at anytime except terrorist." What does this mean? Explain it. The terrorists don't live on a lunatic island in this world. They live among other human beings. How can you justify using WMD's against them then? :wacko: My point never was and never is of attacking with WMD's but to have them in order to "CREATE FEAR IN HEARTS OF YOUR ENEMIES". If Lebanon had WMD's, would Israel attack it?

Following is something I found from book of "Ayatollah Ibrahim Amini" called, "Al-Imam al-Mahdi, The Just Leader of Humanity".

http://al-islam.org/mahdi/nontl/Chap-14.htm

Dr. Jalali: I have heard that the Imam of the Age will rise with a sword. This is something that does not seem to be right. The reason is that so far humankind has created and discovered various kinds of weapons to be used on the battlefields. Nuclear proliferation and weapons of mass destruction are recent additions to the array of weaponry in human arsenals. With the use of chemical and biological weapons, including remote detonation devices for binary weapons, thousands upon thousands of people can be destroyed in one blow. The question arises that with all these weapons existing now, how can one imagine that the Mahdi and his soldiers will be triumphant fighting with swords?

Mr. Hoshyar: Yes, indeed the subject of the Mahdi's rise with the sword is mentioned in the traditions. Let me cite some examples. Imam Baqir relates:

The Mahdi resembles his forefather, the Prophet, in that he too will rise with a sword to wipe out tyrants and those who mislead people, the enemy of God and the Prophet. He will attain victory by sword and scare, and none of his troops (lit. flags) will return [with a defeat].[24]

However, the rise with the "sword" is a metaphor for warfare. It indicates that war and bloodshed are part of the official task of the Mahdi. He is commanded by God to make Islam a universal faith and to confront injustice and tyranny, even by force and by means of a sword. His circumstance is contrary to his forefathers' careers, which did not require them to face the situation in that forceful manner, as their charge was limited to admonition and counsel. Consequently, "to rise with a sword" does not mean that his weapons of defense are limited to a sword, and that he is to restrain himself from using any other kind of weapons. To be sure, he too might employ the weapons of the day or even create new weapons to overpower all the known weaponry of his time.

The truth is that our knowledge about the future events of the world is limited; nor do we know in any detailed manner about the future destiny of humankind and the course of its technological enterprise. As such, we do not have the right to judge the future on the basis of the past without any evidence. We do not know which country or nation will have a technological and civilizational advantage and superiority over others. It is possible that the weak and divided nations of the Islamic world will wake up and put aside their minor differences to create the universal brotherhood under the mighty banner of tawhid, the Unity of God, and adopt and implement the Qur'anic guidance as the constitution of the universal Muslim nation. The united Islamic peoples could then utilize their natural resources to their advantage and come out of a self-cultivated laziness and self-imposed isolation to take up the challenge of becoming leaders of human civilization in sciences, industry, and ethics. They can bring under their control the unleashed and boundless energies of the east and the west in order to channel them into preparing for the final launching of the Mahdi's revolution. At that time the Mahdi can appear and destroy the unjust and tyrannical powers with the help of the mighty forces at his disposal. Furthermore, with divine assistance and promises of victory, in addition to the extraordinary energy that emanates from the position of the wilayat (the exercise of divinely-ordained sovereignty under the Imamate) he can lay the foundation of a just and equitable government of God on the earth.

At that moment the scientists and scholars whose research made possible the discovery of all the tools and technology will feel sadness and remorse because their discoveries had not been used for the betterment of human life but were instead employed to colonize and to suppress the peoples of the world. Hence, in order to give recompense for the abuse of their scientific contributions, they will see no other way but to respond to the call of the Mahdi to fight for justice and work for the good of the peoples of the world. We cannot foretell how people in the future will abandon their arrogance and stubbornness, come out from their ignorance and work towards the eradication of weapons of mass destruction and the decisive implementation of the nuclear non-proliferation treaty. But all the wealth that is now being used to produce such weapons could then be diverted for the elimination of poverty, the advancement of education and the well being of humankind.

Patriot, I remember reading somewhere that some ayatollah in Iran voiced his own opinion regarding this; something to the effect that it is allowed if absolutely necessary. However, I don't remember who or where. Also, there is the opinion of the Iraqi Ayatollah Sayyid Ahmad Baghdadi, who I believe thinks such a thing is permissible in defense (I gathered this from some interview of his, though I may be wrong).

• Advanced Member

(bismillah)

(salam)

I have heard Sayyid Khamenei say in many speeches broadcasted on public television in the Islamic Republic that, one Iran is not after nuclear weapons, and two, that it is unislamic to have and to use them.

Now, being the supreme leader of the Muslim world he would not lie, so definately Iran is not after them at the time being.

Also, according to him, it would be haram to go after them. the arguments posted about defending one'self or having them as deterants were most likely thought of and rejected by him. the arguments about Pakistan having them and because of that India doesnt attack or if Lebanon had them Isreal would not have attacked are a little far-fetched in my opinion. If Pakistan nukes India the nuclear wave would reach them as well, and this is definately true for Israel. Also, Iran is prepared to defend itself against any army. America and Isreal, with all of the nuclear weapons that they have, are scared to come into Iran.

just my opinions...

• Advanced Member

(bismillah)

(salam)

Here is the respone that I got from Sayed Ali's office.

--------------------------------------------------------------------

Question

Asalaamu Alaikum,

What is the view of Sayid Khamenei on the issue of nuclear weapons? Is is haraam to build them? Is it haraam to use them? Please give me as much information as possible on this issue.

Wasalaam

Answer

Salamun `alaykum wa Rahmatullahi wa Barakatuhu.

As the Leader (d.) and officials of the Islamic Republic had repeatedly declared that weapons of mass destruction (including nuclear, biological and chemical weapons), whose usage leads to large bloody massacres that do not exclude even innocent people, are not permissible. Therefore, to be armed with, or produce such weapons, that will be of no use, has never even been included in the Islamic system's agenda. But, on the other hand preparing and developing various nuclear technologies for peaceful purposes (like electricity, medicine, agriculture, etc.) are highly insisted upon and at the top of the agenda for the Islamic state.

For more details you can refer to the speeches of His Eminence, the Leader of Muslims on this topic available at www.khamenei.ir

With prayers for your success,

Webmaster.

Edited by Guiding Light
  • 2 weeks later...
Guest DjibrilCisse

In reply to Brother ThePatriot, I would say that Iran is well-armed, especially in defence. As you can see from the above statement from the office of Syed Khamenei, a WMD would be "of no use" to the IR because they would never use such a weapon.

Also, note that Iran's nuclear program is a peaceful one. If they start producing weapons then they will only confirm the accusations of the US and its allies suggesting that Iran's intention is to produce weapons and not energy.

• Advanced Member

(salam)

Nuclear weapons (even low yield, >1 megaton) are not effective for defense. The reason is that if used (even small ones) they create regional enviromental catastorphe (from the radiation released into the air, ground and water) which usually kills many more people then the actual blast itself. Anyone interested should investigate the issue of the use (by the U.S. military) of depleted uranium shells in Iraq.

Here is a good, short article with alot of links for those who wish to learn more:

http://www.geocities.com/iraqinfo/gulfwar/du.html

If small amounts of non-nuclearized uranium with no associated blast would cause such catastrophes the effets of the use of weapons which would spread radiation over hundreds of square miles is too horrible to contemplate.

This is why the major nuclear powers developed I.C.B.M's, to use these weapons offensively to attack another country. Such an attack is haram, as it would cause the death of millions of civilians. Robust, non-nuclear defense capabilities are a sufficient deterent to attack. A nuclear weapon provides no clear DEFENSIVE deterent in a real battle, as no country would unleash the destructive effects of nuclear radiation in or near their own country. Those who talk about "low yield" battlefield nuclear weapons only need look to the case of depleted uranium shells (which are not even nuclear weapons) to see the flaw in this argument.