Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله

Converts to Shiism

Rate this topic

Fedayin

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Advanced Member
MEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!! Alhumdulilah!

Actually, I am not a revert to Islam, but I changed to Shia :D

Allahu Akbar!

You know me RayRay! I'm a Shia who converted from Christianity!! :D

Alhamdililah, Alhamdililah, Alhamdililah!!

Edited by hijabikel

• Advanced Member

(salam)

It's through dad. We were all sunnis then. :)

My story: Me, my father ..

Then there's elder sister's fiance; she got him convert to shia. And him in turn, convert his three friends and his sis.

Isn't that wonderful..it's like paying it forward

:wub:

Edited by Sarah

• Advanced Member

It brings much optimism to my heart to know that so many have found the right path hence truth, Alhamdulillah what a blessing MashAllah. I always wondered what i would be without the love of Ahul Bayt a.s despite being born a pure shia...All i can say is Alhamdulillah!!

DrEaMa...

• Advanced Member
(salam)

It's through dad. We were all sunnis then. :)

My story: Me, my father ..

Then there's elder sister's fiance; she got him convert to shia. And him in turn, convert his three friends and his sis.

Isn't that wonderful..it's like paying it forward

Salam

Thanks for the link. It was nice mashallah. May Allah grant you the utmost patience and increase you further in knowledge, Imaan and ma'arfat, ba haqe Ahlulbayts (as).

I'd really have liked to read other references too, since different hadith's and various aspects affect different people differently.

Your story reminded me of a really good Sunni friend back from school days. Once he said : 'Yesterday at the madressah, I learnt about the Prophet's (pbuh) father's father's father.' Then I asked him whether if he knew anyhting about the Prophet's (pbuh) grandson's grandson's grandson....

Anyhow the book 'Then I was guided' by Dr. Tijani is exceptional in regards to this and very detailed too.

Kind regards

Malek

Edited by Malek-e-Ashtar

• Advanced Member
I am a convert, from athiesm to a simple belief in God, to Sunni Islam, and finaly, alhamdulillah, to the path of the followers of the Ahlul Bayt.

(salam)

Wow what a journey! May God bless you and guide you to the right path always.

May I ask...what convinces you to believe that there's a Creator when you were once a disbeliever? I really like to know. :)

wassalam, Sarah

• Veteran Member
you're so boring, you didn't have a rollercoaster like we do :D

I didn't know I was Shia until I was 11, and lived in Saudi Arabia for 11 years, grew up in a Sunni/Salafi environment, didn't even know there was a split in Muslim sects, came here (Canada) and learned about Shiaism from pretty much scrath; does that count as a rollercoaster?

Edited by Ali_Imran

• Advanced Member
I didn't know I was Shia until I was 11, and lived in Saudi Arabia for 11 years, grew up in a Sunni/Salafi environment, didn't even know there was a split in Muslim sects, came here (Canada) and learned about Shiaism from pretty much scrath; does that count as a rollercoaster?

Same here. When I lived in Pakiland, I didn't know about Shia/Sunni differences. It was when I got to the USA that I started learning more.

• Advanced Member

I do not profess the Islamic faith myself, but from the Qur'an and various ahadith that I have read, it does seem clear that Muhammad had indeed appointed 'Ali as the authorised interpreter of his words.

I'm also aware of other non-Muslim authors, both past and present, who have held the same opinion. Examples would include Edward Gibbon and Edward G. Browne.

For those who are interested in a non-Muslim view of the whole Sunni-Shi'a debate.

• Advanced Member

(bismillah)

(salam)

Machjo, thanks. As I see it, if one were to take a very literalist approach to the Quran, they would deduce similar conclusions as the Shia on matters of basic Sharia. However, I do think it takes a bit of logical reasoning to understand the station of Immamate and such.

• Advanced Member

I am a convert/revert to Shia. Becuase I have deep personal beliefs in justice and strong humanitarian values, I could not in good conciense practice Christianity, with its history of Crusades. (And they talk of Islam weilding a sword!?) I could not follow Judiasm, the religion of my father, because the politics of Amercan Jewry is diametrically opposed to my personal veiws and politics. (Neo-cons who promote war.) I have a strong faith in God, and wanted to be closer to him, and to follow the way of Justice. Sunni did not seem as humble. I love salt-of-the earth humble people, who live like Isa/Jesus. Not those who preached about Jesus while wearing a Rolex watch.

• Advanced Member
(bismillah)

(salam)

Machjo, thanks. As I see it, if one were to take a very literalist approach to the Quran, they would deduce similar conclusions as the Shia on matters of basic Sharia. However, I do think it takes a bit of logical reasoning to understand the station of Immamate and such.

Interesting. When I read the Qur'an, I simply try to understand its meaning. I don't impose any interpretation upon it at all, or at least try not to. A literal interpretation is the worst way to understand any book; any linguist, grammarian or literary critic will know this.

• Advanced Member
I am a convert/revert to Shia. Becuase I have deep personal beliefs in justice and strong humanitarian values, I could not in good conciense practice Christianity, with its history of Crusades. (And they talk of Islam weilding a sword!?) I could not follow Judiasm, the religion of my father, because the politics of Amercan Jewry is diametrically opposed to my personal veiws and politics. (Neo-cons who promote war.) I have a strong faith in God, and wanted to be closer to him, and to follow the way of Justice. Sunni did not seem as humble. I love salt-of-the earth humble people, who live like Isa/Jesus. Not those who preached about Jesus while wearing a Rolex watch.

Interesting. At one point, I'd seriously considered adopting Islam after having had read the Qur'an. I found its laws more progressive or more advanced than those of the New Testament. But I remember thinking that, with all the terrorism on TV and all, I'd probably not fit in well since I'd be adopting the Qur'an and Ahadith, not political Islam. Honestly though, despite Zionism and all the politics around Christianityand Judaism, it's the same. You have to judge them by their books, not the actions of the followers. Had I jusdge by the actions of followers, there'd be no way I could respect Islam with all going on in the world today. So why do I respect it? Because of the contents of the Qur'an and Ahadith themselves, irrelevent of what individual Muslims may or may not do.

• Advanced Member
Interesting. At one point, I'd seriously considered adopting Islam after having had read the Qur'an. I found its laws more progressive or more advanced than those of the New Testament. But I remember thinking that, with all the terrorism on TV and all, I'd probably not fit in well since I'd be adopting the Qur'an and Ahadith, not political Islam. Honestly though, despite Zionism and all the politics around Christianityand Judaism, it's the same. You have to judge them by their books, not the actions of the followers. Had I jusdge by the actions of followers, there'd be no way I could respect Islam with all going on in the world today. So why do I respect it? Because of the contents of the Qur'an and Ahadith themselves, irrelevent of what individual Muslims may or may not do.

Salaams..

thats an excellent point u make Machjo.. If only all sensible minded people would do the same..

Unfortunately what happens alot these days is the media seems to be the tool that is used to portray the religion in a very negative manner.

You are right.. i have heard some converts in the past say similar things.. eg.. "if had known any Muslims before i converted, i never would have"..

Finally, while i believe Islam is perfect... Muslims are not.. & that how the viewpoint should be...

• Advanced Member

(bismillah)

Allahumma Salle Ala Muhammad Wa Ale Muhammad Wa Ajjil Farjahum

And there are many converted shias in BD including myself. I know 55+. :)

In fact all most all the active shias here in Bangaladesh are converted from sunnism! :D

Shukranlillah!

Hamdanlillah!

Hubbanlillah!

Salawat!!!

Fee Amanillah.

Edited by shukranlillah

• Advanced Member

Salams,

I'm a revert.. however, this is an interesting topic because I'm working on conducting a survey of Shi'a reverts.... I would like to reach as many as possible and create a data base of names and e-mails. This would be a great way to keep the community of reverts together..inshallah.

masalaama

sis Jennah

ps.. I went right to Shi'a and became a Shi'a Muslim the day I recited shahada.