Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله

Mosques ~ Parties

Rate this topic

Mahdiyah

• Advanced Member

786 - 092 - 110

Salaam Srs :)

At Wilaadah and Khush-haali, does anyone feel that our Masjid and Husayniyah (Imambargah) are becoming places for dress competition? I mean people dressed like it is a wedding or a party or other personal occasion.

My Khoja friends who are not well off feel embarrassed and have stopped going and say even their black clothes worn for Muharram need to be fashionable and expensive otherwise they will not fit in the community :mad: and the women will give them unpleasant looks!

• Veteran Member

Well I'm not gonna' comment on fashion in Muharram, but wearing good clothes on Jashan and Wiladat, what's wrong with that. As long as your intentions are not to show-off or compete with someone out of jealousy or anything, and only Allah can judge that. It is a personal occasion as well, since these are the days of the birth of your Imam or Prophet; especially if it comes to 12th Imam, as he is living with us today.

Though since this is in the sister's forum; and I do know things are a bit different on the ladies side :Hijabi:... Allahu Aalim.

Edited by Ali_Imran

• Advanced Member

Ali Imran have u been going to the womens' side!!!!! Jk :lol:

Sis I don't see anything wrong with getting al dressed up wen u do to the masjid for joyous occasions like wiladats think abt it thgis way wouldn't u get all dressed up if u were going to a friends bday party so why not for our holy Prophet's or one of our Imams but as Ali Imran just said depends on ur intentions :D

• Veteran Member

Well what is nice? Anything simple and clean for me does it (but I'm a guy :Hijabi:), I know it isn't the case in the ladies, as everything needs to be unique and what not. Not being able to afford nice clothes, doesn't mean you get jealous of others, or get initimiated by the pressure. Thank Allah for what one already has. Okay man I'm getting outta' here, I don't know why I'm here :Hijabi:

Edited by Ali_Imran

• Advanced Member

Isn't the idea of wearing hijab to not show off our beauty? And aren't we meant to not draw attention to ourselves? Didn't one of our blessed Imams repair his own clothes rather than get new ones and show off?

When I dress to go out to work, to a social gathering or to a religious gathering, I always ask myself "would Allah approve of what I am wearing and would the Prophet (pbuh) be pleased?"

It always helps keep me in check :)

• Veteran Member
Isn't the idea of wearing hijab to not show off our beauty? And aren't we meant to not draw attention to ourselves?

Err...who says you have to hide your beauty or wear hijab in front of other women :huh:. That's what the question was, during Jashans @ the mosque.

would u like to share some of ur stories with us??

One incident was when I had to clean their washroom :sick: :no:!

Edited by Ali_Imran

That's funny - at our gatherings we have the exact opposite problem.

NOBODY dresses up!

Which is sort of frustrating - coz you go to a wiladat and there you see all the women sitting there dressed in their ugliest clothes, not even taking their hijabs off - it's like it's muharram the whole year. A lover of Ahlulbayt is happy when they are happy and sad when they are sad - it's thawab to dress up for happy occasions, but if you as much as wear a colourful hijab you'll be the odd one out.

You don't have to wear something expensive - just something that's a little nicer than what you wear every day. I don't know the exact circumstances of your friends, but I don't think they should care about the aunties giving them ugly looks - just show up for the ahlulbayt!

• Advanced Member

LOL LOL LOL :!!!:

well on the 17 Rabi ul Awwal jashan, guess what happened at my mosque. they shut the tv so the ladies wouldnt hear the moulana speakin, and they started the ladies "fashion show."

:wacko:

They made all the ladies get up and do the CAT WALK, yes the cat walk! the first lady demonstrated for everyone how to do it :shaytan: so they had to walk in the middle of the room and everyone would vote who had the best clothes :lol:

And there were 2 judges, these aunties who own their own boutique store, and they gave cash prizes, first place was $100 :squeez:

• Advanced Member
One incident was when I had to clean their washroom :sick: :no:!

LOLLLZZZ bro thats sho funni...poor u...the bathrooms r disgusting (if ur talking abt the one here..u no wut i mean...)

as for original topic, that happens in some places...my cuzins were telling me abt one...it's weird

Edited by amTul786

• Advanced Member
LOL LOL LOL :!!!:

well on the 17 Rabi ul Awwal jashan, guess what happened at my mosque. they shut the tv so the ladies wouldnt hear the moulana speakin, and they started the ladies "fashion show."

:wacko:

They made all the ladies get up and do the CAT WALK, yes the cat walk! the first lady demonstrated for everyone how to do it :shaytan: so they had to walk in the middle of the room and everyone would vote who had the best clothes :lol:

And there were 2 judges, these aunties who own their own boutique store, and they gave cash prizes, first place was $100 :squeez:

If this is true I mean not a joke, then it is a disgrace.

Another time could have been arranged for this sort of thing.

• Advanced Member

If Lady Fatima (as) gave away her new wedding dress to a poor beggar and wore old clothes to her own wedding...

I think that should be a good indication of how much relevance clothes truly have.

I can never imagine the Ahlul Bayt (as) being any less pleased with us if we wore 'ugly' clothes to their jashans- provided we had the pure celebratory intention within our hearts- than they would if we dressed fancy.

In fact, forking over some cash that could've been used for such extravagance to charity instead would clearly please them very much.

@ queenjafri: That's downright disturbing. :cry:

• Advanced Member

yup yup its true. not as bad as the 13 rajab jashan last year, where all the girls thot they'd look so cute if they wore prom dresses. :shaytan: :wacko:

clearly the aunties were not impressed by the disgusting skin show, and all hell broke out.

them girls were so embarassed and had only their mothers to stick up for em. :!!!:

• Advanced Member

^ Wowzers.

I still can't get over the idea of a fashion show within a place of worship, though... During a jashan... With prom dresses...

We have the whole 'halaal fun' ideology in some 'progressive' Muslim families down here...

Interestingly enough, it's those same families that, though quite religious at their cores, end up with kids who commit zina, practice "hijaab" AND dating, and follow Islam only by name. :(

Edited by LightTheWay786

• Advanced Member

im not khoja or pakistani or whatever... but i went to one of those occassions where we had to dress up and stuff, i swear to god i felt so shallow and i really think i wasted my night. i could have gone to another masjid, heard a better lecture , and avoided the shallowness of the people of the masjid.

theres nothing wrong with dressing nice or celebrating the birth of the masomeen and all but theres a difference when u go to these weird khoja gatherings. its TOOOOOO MUCHHH

i only went one night and i could tell some people took hours and spent A LOT on their clothes. i cant imagine doing that year long for every happy occassion thats freakin sick!