Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
ShiaChat.com
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله

The nur of Rasulullah (saaw)

Rate this topic

• Advanced Member
(salam)

What is the shia prespective on the Noor of Rasulullah (saw).

Do they say its literal or a metaphor etc..

There are a bunch of views within sunnism on this as well.

Wassalaam wr wb

This is also unclear, however when the Prophet was born:

A light ascended from the Holy Prophet's body towards heaven and illuminated a distance of many leagues along its path.

It isn't of very great importance for the Shia if this light was literal or metaphorical, so long as the Muslim believes in the light.

From The Life of Muhammad The Prophet by Syed Saeed Akhtar Rizvi http://al-islam.org/lifeprophet/

The "Noor" (Light) is created

When Allah intended to create the creatures, He first created the "Noor" (Light) of Muhammad. Al-Qastalani (in Al Mawahibu'l-Ladunniyah, vol. 1, pp. 5, 9, 10) has quoted the Prophet's traditions to this effect as transmitted through Jabir ibn 'Abdullah al-Ansari and 'Ali (a.s.). The well-known historian al-Mas'udi (in his Maruju 'dh-dhahab) quotes a lengthy tradition from 'Ali (a.s.) to the effect that when Allah created, first of all, the Light of Muhammad, He said to it: "You are My chosen one and the Trustee of My Light and Guidance. It is because of you that I am going to create the earth and the skies, lay down reward and punishment, and bring into being the Garden and the Fire." Then the tradition goes on to speak about the Family of the Prophet, about creation of the angels, of the souls, of the world, of the covenant taken from the souls which combined the belief in the One God with acceptance of Muhammad's Prophethood.

This is why Ibn 'Abbas narrates saying that the Prophet said: "I was Prophet when Adam was between soul and body (i.e. when Adam's creation was in its preliminary stages)" (at-Tabarani, Al-Mu'jjam al-Kabir; Al Khasa'is al-Kubra, vol.1, p.4).

Muhammad's Light adorned the 'Arsh (Throne) of God. When eons later, Adam was created, that Light was put in his forehead. It continued its journey, generation after generation, through numerous prophets and their successors till it came to Prophet Ibrahim (a.s.). From Ibrahim (a.s.), it came to his eldest son, Prophet Isma'il (a.s.).

perhaps these links might help:

The Message by Ayatullah Ja'far Subhani

http://al-islam.org/message/

A Glance At The Life Of the Holy Prophet:

http://al-islam.org/glance/

The Unschooled Prophet by Martyr Ayatollah Mutahhari

http://al-islam.org/unschooled/

wa'salaam

Edited by daudtaft
  • Advanced Member

(salam)

Bro Shi'a perspective on Nur is like yours, we believe he was created by Nur, as were the Imams (as) and there are clear Shi'a traditions on this. In fact we believe that Rasulullah (s) and Imam Ali (as) were created from one single Nur, and this is attested in a plethora of Sunni books, like Riyadh al Nadira.

• Advanced Member
(salam)

Wa 3laikassalaam

What is the shia prespective on the Noor of Rasulullah (saw).

Do they say its literal or a metaphor etc..

There are a bunch of views within sunnism on this as well.

Wassalaam wr wb

Noor was there alright.. but Noor cannot be corporeal... I guess it could be collected in a bodily form.. like the spirit.. I am speculating with my limited knowledge that only a Noor can travel with another Noor (Hadrat Jibrael [as])... wassalaamun alaikum

• 2 weeks later...
  • Advanced Member

they are the noor of Allah

they are the names of Allah

they are the proof of Allah

i dont mean this as a metaphor, i mean this with all yaqeen.

the names of Allah, asma' Allah al 'husna, appeared in Mohammad, Ali, Fatima, Hasan, Hussein and the Imams from the sons of Hussein.

the aya that say that i am human just like you, this has a deeper meaning.

Rasulullah is meaning to say, Oh humans! you shall never reach a knowledge of Allah, for He is too great for you know or understand Him. the only way to reach Tawhid, is through me, Rasulullah, as I have been sent in the form of a human being, just like yourselves.

If Allah had sent Rasulullah in this world in another form, then nobody would have been able to achieve al Tawhid.

However, in the afterworld, there is no doubt that this great being, Mohammad, is much higher than human, in fact he is from the Noor of Allah, and he is Hijabullah, in which he has reached a knowledge of Allah that no ordinary human being will ever understand.