Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله
Sign in to follow this  
Changed

Body-Building

Rate this topic

Which parts do you like to works on, and what do you find most difficult and the which is the easiest?

Do you payt attention to every part or just focus on arms.

Whats your schedule and diet suitable for your body, etc?

Do you depend on heavy weights or just free hands?

Any special diet like protien shakes etc?

I started working out about 2 months ago. I quit protein shakes and energy drinks as it is better to keep it natural (in my opinion). I voted shoulders because it looks kinda wierd with big biceps and no shoulders..

But i cant seem to get my chest much bigger :angry: all i notice after training chest is that it sort of changes position.. any tips?

Does anyone have a good workout schedule that splits the entire body? I mostly look for a 4-day a week split.

Edited by Ya Abul-Fazl Abbas

I've been bodybuilding for just over a year now, and I focus on the entire body over 3 sessions per week. So I work on my arms and chest one day, repeat the second, and then work on my stomach, legs and back the last. My favourite part are triceps because I happened to be blessed with good genetics in that area. However, seeing as I use to be quite skinny, my wrists have really taken a toll over the years and they're now to the point of agony. Inshallah they'll get better though.

I started working out about 2 months ago. I quit protein shakes and energy drinks as it is better to keep it natural (in my opinion). I voted shoulders because it looks kinda wierd with big biceps and no shoulders..

But i cant seem to get my chest much bigger :angry: all i notice after training chest is that it sort of changes position.. any tips?

Does anyone have a good workout schedule that splits the entire body? I mostly look for a 4-day a week split.

Try doing dumbell presses (I recommend 5x10 or 5x6 and until you cannot do another one) followed by regular bench presses, and then try to do inclined or declined bench pressing:

ibp.jpg

I think that doing a combination really does hit the spot. Also, try butterflies.

I've been working out for 5-6 years (on and off because of school)

After 5-6 years I have put on ~30 lbs of muscles.

I have taken/do take protein shakes.

eat a lot of sushi :D

take creatine and drink a lot of water.

Take essential oils

hmm...

ya, and rest well :)

depending on genetics certain parts grow faster than others.

I chose chest because my chest grows fast and looks good ;)

Which parts do you like to works on, and what do you find most difficult and the which is the easiest?

I gotta say biceps is the most easiest with legs being the most difficult.

Every part is important.. Your smaller muscles grow from the stimulus it recieves when you work your bigger muscles

Weight train 4 days a week with cardio everyday.. I watch my diet very carefully too and its very high in protein

My goal right is weight loss so i focus on not that heavy weight but i pay a lot of attention to my form.

Protein shake, Caffeine OR NOS and Multivitamin

No creatine yet but i have a fresh bottle sitting on my closet just itching for me to open it. Soon inshAllah

But i cant seem to get my chest much bigger all i notice after training chest is that it sort of changes position.. any tips?
Try doing dumbell presses (I recommend 5x10 or 5x6 and until you cannot do another one) followed by regular bench presses, and then try to do inclined or declined bench pressing:

Good advice

I do incline presses followed by bench presses followed by butterflies with either dumbells or cables. You can super set it by doing push up right after using a fitness ball or medicine ball

The most important thing is you dont grow in the gym you grow out of it.. Increase your cals and check if you are sleeping good

The legs. Trying to work out the legs with 80 lbs is a killer when it gets easier.

I pay attention to mostly the chest area. Using the dumbells with the extension of the arm half way to the top. Weights are usually at 75lbs or lower.

I eat eggs without yolk everyday. Eating high fibre whole wheat flakes. I work out every alternate days to give my muscles time to grow.

Free hands is more effective.

Soy bean milk. Two bottles everyday.

I work out every alternate days to give my muscles time to grow.

Cannot stress how useful this is. Seriously, guys DO NOT work out everyday. You will only wear out your joints and wonder why you're not getting any bigger. Sleep is good, and a days rest can be just the thing that your body needs to rebuild itself.

Cannot stress how useful this is. Seriously, guys DO NOT work out everyday. You will only wear out your joints and wonder why you're not getting any bigger. Sleep is good, and a days rest can be just the thing that your body needs to rebuild itself.

you COULD workout everyday, as long as you workout muscles per day...

One muscle group per week, except abs and calves... you can do those more :)

I've changed my schedules, presently I take two parts a day, and in my opinion thighs are very tough. And if you've good stamina biceps work out is good and most rewarding specially if you wear half sleves T-shirts and Chest is like second, but I think people must pay great importance to chest to keep it in perfect maculine shape otherwise it will score negative marks for you.

A real masculine chest is like square with even the higher ( upper) chest as well as lower chest to bulge out and be in same line other wise upper chest is zero while the lower chest is bulging out it looks akward and disgusting, so I make it sure to work very sharply on chests.

Triceps are also a headache :wacko: but they add a great look on your arms.

One muscle group per week, except abs and calves... you can do those more :)

It's not that simple, your body doesn't only use one muscle when you're working out. For example, when working your biceps, you may also be working your triceps, chest and back alot of the time. When working your stomach you may also be working your legs.

One muscle group per week

no, don't do that! It's one muscle group per day. Do the biceps for one day, and let that muscle rest for a couple of days, while you work on your chest or your legs.

Working on a a single muscle group 5 consecutive days will over stress that muscle, and you will not gain much, and possibly even be exposed to injury.

Anyway, i haven't started lifting weights yet, but i do about a 150 pushups, 100 crunches & 30 pullups everyday along with a little jogging as well....might start weight lifting by the end of this year.

Edited by Fahad 110684

(salam)

Is Creatine Haram?

Edit-----

http://www.herbalremedies.com/micrmopo600g.html

It says that is vegetarian creatine, I really want to add creatine to my diet, but the possiblity of it being haram is preventing me to do so. Can anyone check ( I am checking too ) if this is really vegetarian creatine.

Wait.... I think creatine is halal

http://www.betterbodz.com/library/generic_..._monohydra.html

naturally it is found in fish and beef, but commercial creatine is made by using halal ingriedients... I think.

Please check with me.

Ws

Edited by SlaveofGod

(bismillah)

(salam)

If you workout daily; thus being fit, then you don't need much sleep because you get rest more efficiently and quicker then someone who doesn't workout.

Well, I used to workout during my fitness classes; that's pretty much all.

I work out practically every day. I've been working out for 2 years and 8 months as of now. I'm able to bench-press 300 lbs. I change my work-out routine every 4-5 weeks, really. That way your body can continue to be shocked into the work-outs, and so that it doesn't adjust to your routine (which slows your progress).

I mainly stick with freeweights and resistance rods. Some work-outs, like for legs, I'll use machines.

As of now, my routine is as such:

Day One: Chest, Triceps, 10-20 min. cardio, abs

Day Two: Biceps, Back, 10-20 min. cardio

Day Three: Shoulders, Legs, 10-20 min. cardio, abs

I don't really go for the protein shakes myself. Although I will be soon enough. In a few months, after I trim down some more fat, I'm going to be going on Protein and Glutamine.

Edited by Philosopher

No doubt you are pretty strong but bro every article i have read suggest you should give your body enough rest. Trainers have gone as far as saying that if you can work out the next day using the same muscle then maybe you didnt hit them hard enough.

My routine is

Back

Chest/Abs

break

Legs

Shoulder and arms

break

break

I guess in the end it depends on what works for you..

If you are looking to trim fat then right now would be the perfect time to start protein. I take Glutamine with protein mixed with malto or dex as my Post workout shake, yummy good!!!

No doubt you are pretty strong but bro every article i have read suggest you should give your body enough rest. Trainers have gone as far as saying that if you can work out the next day using the same muscle then maybe you didnt hit them hard enough.

My routine is

Back

Chest/Abs

break

Legs

Shoulder and arms

break

break

I guess in the end it depends on what works for you..

If you are looking to trim fat then right now would be the perfect time to start protein. I take Glutamine with protein mixed with malto or dex as my Post workout shake, yummy good!!!

Often times I will rest after the third day, but I don't have to. The problem is when you don't give your body parts enough time to rest. Like, if you work chest two days in a row that's not a very good thing. But I usually give at least 3-4 days in between body parts.

One muscle group per week, except abs and calves... you can do those more

That's only going to puncture your muscle growth. This will only cause a buildup in lactic acid which is pretty much harmful to your muscles and will not stimulate proper development. An alternate day basis is guaranteed to help develop your muscles much more efficiently. If you're planning to work out everyday, don't work the same part of your muscles, move on to the next part of your body.

i started working out about 8 months ago.

I go to the gym 4 days a week, monday, tuesdays, thursdays and fridays.

the hardest part for me is the calves and abs. i don't have a fat belly but its really hard to develop that six pack.

The part i like working out the most is the pecs.

Calves are genetics so there is only so much you can do about it. try doing standing/sitting calf raises. Its true when they say abs are made in the kitchen not in gym so its mostly on your diet. Bring your body fat down to 11-10% and you should see them in all their glory

Often times I will rest after the third day, but I don't have to. The problem is when you don't give your body parts enough time to rest. Like, if you work chest two days in a row that's not a very good thing. But I usually give at least 3-4 days in between body parts.

Take a look at this site

http://www.exrx.net/Lists/Directory.html

Your body uses different muscles as stabilizers. for example on Wed i do chest, in bench presses you are engaging your tri's too at the same time so there is no point in hitting them again the same day instead i give them three days and hit em hard at that point. Same thing when you do squats and deadlifts.. etc etc

so even though you are doing one muscle group a week you are hitting them twice because they are being used as stabilizers.

The above is just what i follow ofcourse your way of doing things is right too after all you are much bigger guy then me so you must be doing something right. One thing is for sure i lose/gain in my sleep especially on Saturdays lol.. i dunno why but on Sat my measurements always change like clockwork maybe its the squats

Edited by Logic

I lift weights, though certainly not a bodybuilder (hehe!) :!!!:

Been lifting for almost a year now, free weights since April of '06.

Currently doing total body 3 days a week, cardio 5 days a week (30-45 min), and yoga for one hour twice a week.

What can I say, the stuff works. I've lost about 90lbs during this time. waka waka!

Since women gain muscle differently, lower body and core are the best. squats and deadlifts and calf raises +++

upper body coming along. curling @ 25 lb dumbells, pressing @ 80 lbs barbell or 30 lb dumbells (both press and flys)

I chose triceps, for some reason they seem to be a whole lot stronger than the over-rated bicep, I say.

My trainer gave me a few workout variations lately. I had been doing the beginner lifting routine of 2 sets of 12 reps, doing between 2-5 items per muscle or muscle group.

The new routine is as follows, and gender isn't an issue, except for maybe the actual weight you'd end up lifting:

*figure out your one rep maximum weight, then for regular lifting, lift about 85% of that for reps. (this is one way to go)

*some folks have a heavy lifting day, then a light lifting day, etc...

My current one beginning this week will be pyramiding (sp?) my weights. Example:

dumbell chest press:

set 1: 12 reps 20# dumbells

set 2: 10 reps 25# dumbells

set 3: 8 reps 30# dumbells

set 4: 6 reps 35# dumbells (mommy!)

set 5: 12 reps 20# dumbells

Anyway, you can change it for your own ability, of course. The only things I'm not pyramiding are side bends (45# weight is fine), and back extentions (machine @ 170#, not freeweights). Those two I just keep at 2 sets of 12.

Some folks stack the weight going up, some stack it going down, the final low weight set being "do as many until failure". Just sort of depends on what someone wants, if they're trying to break a plateau, build strength or muscle mass or just to maintain...

Food- eat protein. Why drink it if you can eat it, lol. Yeah yeah, supposedly the body absorbs liquid better, but yuck, I'd rather have cheese or fish or something. Good multivitamin, and glucosamine chondroiten because I'm getting to be an old far+.

exrx.com is by far the best site, for SURE.

some other interesting ones are:

http://www.biofitness.com/

http://www.stumptuous.com/cms/index.php (women-centric, but the info is just as good for men. lots of beginning stuff here too. Also explains away a lot of myths, such as spot-reduction, the idea that women will "bulk up like a man", etc)

http://www.exrx.net/Nutrition/FoodExchanges.html food exchanges at exrx. I'm on a food exchange type diet (was put on it a year ago when they said I was fixin for a heart attack/diabetes) and it works well. I've lowered one carb and upped a protein, though, since I've lost fat and gained muscle.

http://bodybuilding.about.com/ decent hub, without all the dumb-o "in their underwear" photographs

http://drsquat.com/home/index.php Well, Dr Squat is just famous, so why not.

http://www.trainforstrength.com/ training without weights, anoher option

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Weight_training wikipedia has some decent info, on not only weight training but also bodybuilding, power lifting, etc.

I have my last (pre pyramid) workout posted on my blog somewhere, but it's already outdated, as I've moved up in weight amount lately (on the weights, not me, alhamdulillah!)

Leila

Since women gain muscle differently, lower body and core are the best. squats and deadlifts and calf raises +++

same goes for men too. I hate them both but they really are the core of my regiment

I chose triceps, for some reason they seem to be a whole lot stronger than the over-rated bicep, I say.

I made this mistake for 6 months before realizing my stupidity. Never paid attention to my triceps whereas they are a bigger muscle then my bi.

dumbell chest press:

set 1: 12 reps 20# dumbells

set 2: 10 reps 25# dumbells

set 3: 8 reps 30# dumbells

set 4: 6 reps 35# dumbells (mommy!)

set 5: 12 reps 20# dumbells

Whoa!!

you are one strong lady!

2 more good sites i use are

http://www.shapefit.com/

bodybuilding.com

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/exercises.htm

color with video/gif

hey thanks for those sites, logic. And thanks for the compliment! I thought I was pretty darn cool when I typed that, but then the next day, a lady came into the Y (AND she was slender healthy, not bulky whatnot) and just picked up a 40 lb dumbell and started to do all sorts of stuff with it. Popped the old inflated head immediately!

ilovegod-muslima-- well I already have, and I'm most definetly a woman, lol. Do you lift weights? It's a gooddddd thing, especially for weight loss and the whole body composition change

ilovegod-muslima-- well I already have, and I'm most definetly a woman, lol. Do you lift weights? It's a gooddddd thing, especially for weight loss and the whole body composition change

no it's not that i want to enlarge the size of my muscles in some area in my body

but i'm always afraid from sports..

hey thanks for those sites, logic. And thanks for the compliment! I thought I was pretty darn cool when I typed that, but then the next day, a lady came into the Y (AND she was slender healthy, not bulky whatnot) and just picked up a 40 lb dumbell and started to do all sorts of stuff with it. Popped the old inflated head immediately!

You are welcome

I have been told never to worry about weights but instead focus on your form and mind to muscle connection. Take about 5 sec per rep and you will see more gains. heavier weights will come in due time..

As for lifting more heavy all you gotta do is take some NOS and you will be like superman only if you do supps that is.

(salam)

Brother, for noticeable chest improvement, it takes a LONG time :) at least 1 year to show significant improvement.

I personally love exercising the biceps :D however I've not been to the gym in about a month :dry:

no it's not that i want to enlarge the size of my muscles in some area in my body

but i'm always afraid from sports..

Well I don't really see much to be afraid of when it comes to strength training. The worst I've had in the last year was my own dag fault: I was lifting a 45 lb barbell weight, making sure my back was straight so I wouldn't injure it. Of course, in the process, I ended up twisting at my hips and yanking my knee, which put me out of workouts for about a week or so. (d'oh! Murphy's law!)

Injuries happen, but it's usually from lame things like that. Any other injury is very preventable; you just have to be shown or learn about how to do weight lifting forms correctly so you don't unknowingly pull something. That EX rx website is pretty good because it shows animations and all. I don't know if you're in my area (I'm in the US), but I just got a book on women and strength training that explains a lot of good excersizes, both beginning and advanced. I knew most of it, but even for me, I found out some things I didn't know at all. PM me if you're interested to know more.

Leila

You are welcome

I have been told never to worry about weights but instead focus on your form and mind to muscle connection. Take about 5 sec per rep and you will see more gains. heavier weights will come in due time..

As for lifting more heavy all you gotta do is take some NOS and you will be like superman only if you do supps that is.

No doubt, form must be kept! I don't do Uber slow reps like that, although I've read about that method as well. I usually do an average 1-2 second lift/relax, pretty much standard I suppose. I see a lot of guys who do very slow negative reps, but I doubt I'm up to that sort of caliber yet (if ever). The lady I saw lifting the 40# dumbells also had perfect form, although I admit it was the weight that impressed me more. The only time I have those or anything higher is for sidebends or dumbell rows, and she was doing standing flys with them! Arghh!!!

No idea what NOS is. I don't take any supplements (loaded term, isnt it!) aside from a decent multivitamin, glucosamine/chondroiten to prevent joint problems, and some extra vitamin C. Currently eating more protein nowdays to prevent muscle loss as I am still losing weight, and it seems to be working OK, even if the weight loss is slowing down the "smaller" (heee!) I get.

Superman, lol. Err, not quite me, I'd have to say. But able to lift heavy loads and build up basic endurance- very cool indeed. I'd love to be able to do unassisted dips (unassisted pullups may be a dream in my case).

Leila

How are you lifting for your chest? Which excersizes, how often, how many sets and reps, what weight and for how long? Sort of hard to say. After training... do you mean it "changes position" right after a workout? That would just be post-workout muscle pump (my arms do that, and then deflate by the next workout, lol). Or do you mean it's more of a long-term shift?

There's a lot of good four day splits online, check some of those sites, and you'll probably find one that uses the routines you enjoy or are familiar with. Change your workout every month or so, or so I've been told...

Leila

I recently grew a passion for weight lifting..ppl say girls shouldnt bulk up and look like guyz, they lose their feminity. But its impossible to bulk up like a man does after weight lifting, unless ur on heavy steroids :s

anyway, my favourite is bicep curls and tricep extension and shoulder press..feels awsome! :)

Watch out Khadija, a girl may not be bulking like a man, you can become broader in your shoulders than is generally considered beautiful for a woman. You may encounter probs buying clothes, as the size you need on your shoulders is too wide around your tummy.

Personally I take cardiovascular training on a crosstrainer, which does wonders on the typically ladies' problem zones too, esp combined with an abs routine and pilates-stolen thigh trainings. (if you use your arms while crosstraining too, it works great for your obliques)

(salam)

well ur right sis Zaynab..but that's only if I lift really heavy weights..I obviously cant do more than 10 lbs at a time..but generally, weight lifting has helped me tone up sooo much Alhamdulillah..that my clothes dont fit me any more..My size went down drastically! The first time in my life I was actually 'happy' with the way I looked :cry:

wasalam

(if you use your arms while crosstraining too, it works great for your obliques)

yeppp tht really does! ^_^

My work-outs have been really on the ball as of late. I've incorperated intensive 35 minute cardio at the end of short, intense weight lifting. That's always the best, or so I've noticed.

I've been doing a three-day split, but I think I might increase the days and do less body parts a day (I currently do two body parts a day).

I'm thinking of doing:

Day 1: Chest, Cardio

Day 2: Biceps, Triceps, Cardio

Day 3: Cardio only

Day 4: Shoulders, Back, Cardio

Day 5: Legs

Day 6: Cardio only

In 35 minutes of cardio I'm burning off a little bit more than 500 calories. The best way to really boost your metabolism and burn off a lot of fat is by doing 2-minute high-intensity interval circuits. I usually use the elliptical, and go 2 minutes of relative intensity (6.5-7.5 speed), then I got 2 minutes of very high intensity (9-11 speed). If you do that for 30-35 minutes then you're set.

That, coupled in with a good 5-6 meal (smaller meals) routine and I'm looking at good fat burn, while keeping my muscle and strength in tact.

This is what I'm going for in a few weeks. Really boost my cardio and continue to spread out my weight training, so I'm doing even less body parts per day (even though I'm a bit skeptical about the biceps-triceps-in-one-session work out).

I know not to lift for more than an hour. Usually 45 minutes is excellent. It's all about intensity in the lifts. Inshallah I reach my goals with this routine.

(salam)

Philospher .. instead of doing bicep and triceps on day 2.. you should do chest and triceps day 1, and Back and biceps day 3, Day 4 shoulders, day 5 legs and cardio in between .... its the most effective workout regime.

thats what i do to condition my athletes.

(salam)

Philospher .. instead of doing bicep and triceps on day 2.. you should do chest and triceps day 1, and Back and biceps day 3, Day 4 shoulders, day 5 legs and cardio in between .... its the most effective workout regime.

thats what i do to condition my athletes.

Excellent. Thanks, brother. I'm very consistent and persistent on doing chest/triceps and biceps/back together in the same work out, but I understand that I should regularly change my routine (i.e. change the body parts I do together). I've been doing chest/triceps, biceps/back, legs/shoulders routine for about two months. I'm splitting up the shoulders and legs right now, but I just wanted to keep it fresh and different with chest by itself and biceps/triceps together.

(salam)

yeh change is good.. keeps you motivated.

Why dont you try and do 2 workouts a week ...

1. Upper body ( i.e. chest arms back shoulders and torso)

2. Lower body (Legs, torso, lower back)

what you do is... do 2 workouts for each body part for example.. incline and decline for chest, Lat pull down and seated row for back, 2 bicep workouts 2 tricep workouts, and 2 shoulders exercise)

and the same for lower body..

gives you more time to get fit and do cardio .. which is more important.