Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله
Sign in to follow this  
Changed

Body-Building

Rate this topic

(salam)

yeh change is good.. keeps you motivated.

Why dont you try and do 2 workouts a week ...

1. Upper body ( i.e. chest arms back shoulders and torso)

2. Lower body (Legs, torso, lower back)

what you do is... do 2 workouts for each body part for example.. incline and decline for chest, Lat pull down and seated row for back, 2 bicep workouts 2 tricep workouts, and 2 shoulders exercise)

and the same for lower body..

gives you more time to get fit and do cardio .. which is more important.

Thanks, man. I think I'm going to give this a try in two weeks. I think only having to lift twice a week will coincide nicely with my exam schedule, that way most of my gym-days will be devoted to cardio.

mehhh, I'm going to have to put a condition on the whole shoulders thing, personally. For women who tend to be more pear-shaped or hippy, developing the shoulders will actually give a better silhouette balance. Also, if you have a thicker waist (aha post-childbearing years, you'll see!), building up the shoulders will make it appear smaller as well.

I'm for full body workout, not just developing one "part" of the body. Personally, we women are very underdeveloped in our upper body strength, and the majority of the reason is not lack of testasterone, but lack of use.

Enough of the women-specific stuff. Here's some generic thoughts I wanted to jot down here:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Cardio is good, I do about 30 minutes every day, treadmilling (I'm a trekker, what can I say), sometimes at an incline. However, if one is doing cardio to lose weight or fat, the person also needs to realise that once they lose a certain amount of weight, the cardio the person is doing is only going to serve to maintain, not to lose more. So, there are three options:

1. increase cardio time/intensity. But honestly, unless you enjoy it, who'd want to (not me, anyway). I see ladies who have lost weight, but still have more to go, doing cardio for 1-1.5 hours a day. And nothing is happening.

2. Eat less. A lot less. But shoot, WHY? At least, if you do any sort of daily cooking, odds are you'll be eating it, too.... Plus, you're just as likely to burn off your muscle by cutting back in calories, and specifically by cutting back on certain macronutrients (like protein-- garshhh u MUST eat protein!)

3. lift weights, and get some muscle mass. Muscle burns about 30% more calories than fat, PLUS it is more dense/small in size. Right now, I'm at 220 lbs, and a size 20. About five years ago, I was 230 lbs (I was sick and lost weight through illness,not diet and exersize-- then promptly gained it back) and I was a size 28. Now just how is that? Because I've more muscle now than I did then.

Lots of ppl talk about "toning" but that's just a code word for fat loss which shows a bit of muscle definition.

FYI, spot reduction of fat is a MYTH! Don't think that doing a zillion cunches is going to flatten your stomach. It just won't. overall fat loss does, and each person's body sheds the fat in it's own way (which is too bad for me, of course!) Now doing something like weighted ab work will help folks who want to build up the six-pack, but only fat percentage loss is going to let them peek through

To Philosopher- I keep thinking about splitting up my workouts, but at this point, full body, 3 times a week has worked so well for me. Right now, though, I've tweaked my workout again, starting something different.

1. Compound movements first- bench, squat, deadlift, pullups (asissted, for me, boohoo!), dips, lat pulldowns.

2. some isolation work for each (main) muscle. 4 sets, stacking weight up, lowering rep.

3. One muscle worked to exhaustion in drop sets (starting high, repping until can't, lowering weight, repeat until all the way down to.. five pounds? LOL) in a workout-- that particular muscle not drop setted for another two weeks or so... (make sense?)

I'm looking to see just how strong I can get, actually. (naturally, of course! shudder.) Not so much working towards "bodybuilding" though, although I don't mind getting muscles in the process...

Most bodybuilders at my gym say they work one part each day. Five day split, four excersizes each day, about 12-15 sets total per part/day. Make sense? They actually lift low(er) weights but with medium reps (like 10) compared to the powerlifters at the gym, who lift HEAVY heavy, and lower reps. Of course, there's exceptions, but the Q is what you're working for specifically- muscularity or strength or both...

uh, anyway. Hey I upped dumbell weight on flys (40s!) and barbell weight on my bench (which is still nowhere near respectable, though).

Leila

Edited by scarymuslimah

(bismillah)

(salam)

leila..thats soo good..hamdillah my dad put me in the gym since i was really small......but i love doing cardio..and some dumbell lifting...not too heavy though...i dont want to bulk up....i eat mostly fresh fruits and vegges..all whole grain carbs..amd mostly chicken and fish for protein.....

:D :P

wassalam

i havent been to the gym for months an ive lost so much mass and tone..hopefully it all comes back when i start going tomorow:D i dont really look at what i eat i just try to eat as much as possible and not the nasty stuff people do like eat raw eggs or make a tuna and banana smootie... :sick:

you may have some problem getting to the gluteus medius as it is hiddent under the gluteal fascia...

The muscle i find hardest to exercise is the pectoralis major - abdominal part(also known as the lower chest)...

True, but if you come to think about it, if one can build his tendons and ligaments which are profound internal tissues, then perhaps the gluteus medius could be exercised at an easier ratio.

Pectoralis major requires deep pull down and upright row. However, since the perctoralis minor is near, performing sets of dumbbell Inclined bench chest press is quite relative to building the chest muscles.

Cardio is good, I do about 30 minutes every day, treadmilling (I'm a trekker, what can I say), sometimes at an incline. However, if one is doing cardio to lose weight or fat, the person also needs to realise that once they lose a certain amount of weight, the cardio the person is doing is only going to serve to maintain, not to lose more. So, there are three options:

1. increase cardio time/intensity. But honestly, unless you enjoy it, who'd want to (not me, anyway). I see ladies who have lost weight, but still have more to go, doing cardio for 1-1.5 hours a day. And nothing is happening.

2. Eat less. A lot less. But shoot, WHY? At least, if you do any sort of daily cooking, odds are you'll be eating it, too.... Plus, you're just as likely to burn off your muscle by cutting back in calories, and specifically by cutting back on certain macronutrients (like protein-- garshhh u MUST eat protein!)

3. lift weights, and get some muscle mass. Muscle burns about 30% more calories than fat, PLUS it is more dense/small in size. Right now, I'm at 220 lbs, and a size 20. About five years ago, I was 230 lbs (I was sick and lost weight through illness,not diet and exersize-- then promptly gained it back) and I was a size 28. Now just how is that? Because I've more muscle now than I did then.

Lots of ppl talk about "toning" but that's just a code word for fat loss which shows a bit of muscle definition.

FYI, spot reduction of fat is a MYTH! Don't think that doing a zillion cunches is going to flatten your stomach. It just won't. overall fat loss does, and each person's body sheds the fat in it's own way (which is too bad for me, of course!) Now doing something like weighted ab work will help folks who want to build up the six-pack, but only fat percentage loss is going to let them peek through

To Philosopher- I keep thinking about splitting up my workouts, but at this point, full body, 3 times a week has worked so well for me. Right now, though, I've tweaked my workout again, starting something different.

1. Compound movements first- bench, squat, deadlift, pullups (asissted, for me, boohoo!), dips, lat pulldowns.

2. some isolation work for each (main) muscle. 4 sets, stacking weight up, lowering rep.

3. One muscle worked to exhaustion in drop sets (starting high, repping until can't, lowering weight, repeat until all the way down to.. five pounds? LOL) in a workout-- that particular muscle not drop setted for another two weeks or so... (make sense?)

I'm looking to see just how strong I can get, actually. (naturally, of course! shudder.) Not so much working towards "bodybuilding" though, although I don't mind getting muscles in the process...

Most bodybuilders at my gym say they work one part each day. Five day split, four excersizes each day, about 12-15 sets total per part/day. Make sense? They actually lift low(er) weights but with medium reps (like 10) compared to the powerlifters at the gym, who lift HEAVY heavy, and lower reps. Of course, there's exceptions, but the Q is what you're working for specifically- muscularity or strength or both...

uh, anyway. Hey I upped dumbell weight on flys (40s!) and barbell weight on my bench (which is still nowhere near respectable, though).

Leila

Your committment sounds excellent. For me personally, I tend to label myself as a body-builder in a sense that I have concentration work-outs, targeting specific muscle groups at a time. I'm not into competitions or anything - I find that stuff to be kind of tasteless.

Anyway, I've been strongly considering the 5-day split. I'm just trying different things right now, just so I can keep my muscles in shock-mode, so I get better results. The reality is I go on many muscle-building cycles and fat-burning cyles. You cannot do both at the same time. It is not possible. Now, of course you might get some muscle build if you're in fat-loss mode, or lose fat when you're in muscle-mode, but the effectiveness of doing both at the same time isn't plausible.

I'm in fat-loss mode right now. :/ Basically, I have shed a good 20 lbs of fat (and about 25 lbs in total) in the past 3 months (I'm averaging about 2 lbs of loss a week). What you said about cardio and eating less is right, Leila. Here's the biggie, though: people losing fat should eat moderately. Eat 5-6 meals a day to speed up the metabolism, lift weights, do cardio, and take breaks.

Here's a good way of knowing how many calories to take: find out how much you weigh and use a calorie calculator to figure out how many calories your body needs to MAINTAIN your current weight. Then, take that number (the number of calories you need to maintain your weight) and multiply it by .20, and that will give you a healthy target for how many calories you should be taking in. Eat 20% less, do 30 minutes of cardio, and lift weights for 30-60 minutes a day, and the fat will come off. Split up your calorie intake to 5-6 meals a day (no big meals). This is how you kill your body fat.

That's what has worked for me. I'm still doing my current routine, but I'm looking to change it up soon. I've been eating a lot of protein bars during my fat-burn phase because I want to maintain my muscle mass, and not lose muscle-weight. That's why I keep popping protein bars in me. Nice 20 grams of protein at a time (and about 300 calories each, nice enough for a small meal).

everything you said above is spot on. i think the mods need to encourage someone to write a sticky guide since there are some bad advice on fat loss all over the place

I've been eating a lot of protein bars during my fat-burn phase because I want to maintain my muscle mass, and not lose muscle-weight. That's why I keep popping protein bars in me. Nice 20 grams of protein at a time (and about 300 calories each, nice enough for a small meal).

correct me if i am wrong but these bars have high amount of sugar alcohol which is bad since it causes insulin spikes along with the fact that they are expensive

while losing fat i was taking a scoop of isopure protein w/water (0 sugar - 25 grams protein) along with handful of almonds/flaxseed oil which puts my meal right around 275 cals but zero sugar and carbs which helped in keep my levels steady throughout the day..

Whoah, I come back to SC after a month, and this topic is still up on the first page, LOL!

Well, here goes... comments and all that..

(bismillah)

(salam)

leila..thats soo good..hamdillah my dad put me in the gym since i was really small......but i love doing cardio..and some dumbell lifting...not too heavy though...i dont want to bulk up....i eat mostly fresh fruits and vegges..all whole grain carbs..amd mostly chicken and fish for protein.....

:D :P

wassalam

Girl you won't bulk up, we don't have the proper hormonal balance/androgen amounts that men do. You'll get some muscle, but you'd have to have four things to be a bulked up woman- 1)very very specific genetics 2)steroids 3)a huge caloric intake, and 4)years of hard training. All of them together, mind you! I do know a female bodybuilder online(the "physique" kind, not the skinny "figure" kind) who is steroid-free, but she's been lifting for nearly a decade as a powerlifter AND she's eating over 7,000 calories a day. It won't happen to you! Check the stumptuous.com website on female weightlifting, has a ton of good info there

(bismillah)

(salam)

I'm currently working on building my gluetues minimus, medius and maximus. Also, my sternocledomastoid needs effort. I tend to essentially build my weak spots first.

Well the minimus you won't actually see : http://exrx.net/Muscles/GluteusMinimus.html

but the medius you will... http://exrx.net/Muscles/GluteusMedius.html (upper butt, lol)

Hip abduction stuff for the medius, whether those cybex type machines (where you push the legs out-- the ones going in is for the inner thighs/adductors)

Bext things for the uhh maximus is of COURSE the squat and the stiff legged deadlift (or romanian deadlift/stiff back stiff leg dl, etc). Good mornings are good, and lunges as well. Hyperextentions are excellent, too, although they target the hamstrings more. I do most of those (no lunges, I hate them for some reason, and no good mornings since my deadlifts do the same thing), and they work very well. If you don't do squats already, go have a professional show you how-- and not one of those dweeby personal trainers, either. Try to find powerlifters or sports coaches. Or buy the Rippetoe book called "Starting Strength" and the sequel book, name I've forgotten lol.

Leg presses will only do so much, freeweight stuff will get faster and better results:

good mornings:

http://exrx.net/WeightExercises/GluteusMax...oodMorning.html

squat:

http://exrx.net/WeightExercises/GluteusMaximus/BBSquat.html

Lunge:

http://exrx.net/WeightExercises/GluteusMaximus/BBLunge.html

Step Ups:

http://exrx.net/WeightExercises/GluteusMaximus/BBStepUp.html

SBSLDL:

http://exrx.net/WeightExercises/GluteusMax...egDeadlift.html

etc...

you may have some problem getting to the gluteus medius as it is hiddent under the gluteal fascia...

The muscle i find hardest to exercise is the pectoralis major - abdominal part(also known as the lower chest)...

Decline Barbell or dumbbell Bench Presses (or so say every weightlifter in the gym, lol)

http://exrx.net/WeightExercises/PectoralSt...BenchPress.html

Incline Benches will work the clavicular (spelling?) pec- up above the armpits

Your committment sounds excellent. For me personally, I tend to label myself as a body-builder in a sense that I have concentration work-outs, targeting specific muscle groups at a time. I'm not into competitions or anything - I find that stuff to be kind of tasteless.

I consider myself someone who lifts weights, lol. Now if I end up with a healthier or more aesthetically pleasing figure, then yay for me!

Anyway, I've been strongly considering the 5-day split. I'm just trying different things right now, just so I can keep my muscles in shock-mode, so I get better results. The reality is I go on many muscle-building cycles and fat-burning cyles. You cannot do both at the same time. It is not possible. Now, of course you might get some muscle build if you're in fat-loss mode, or lose fat when you're in muscle-mode, but the effectiveness of doing both at the same time isn't plausible.

How long have you been lifting? Most advanced folks I know do the one part a day/five days a week thing. But it also seems like a lot of ppl are moving towards the Rippetoe 5X5 stuff.

You can lose fat and build muscle, but it's very rare for more advanced or intermediate lifters. There's the whole "newbie gains" thing which happens to beginners (like me), or people (also like me) who began as obese or overweight, and who lost fat (because it just happens as a byproduct of working out and diet change) and also gained muscle (newbie gains again!). I've seen some intermediate/advanced people bulk with a minimal of fat gain, which I think would be more ideal, rather than dirty bulking or somethin...

I'm in fat-loss mode right now. :/ Basically, I have shed a good 20 lbs of fat (and about 25 lbs in total) in the past 3 months (I'm averaging about 2 lbs of loss a week). What you said about cardio and eating less is right, Leila. Here's the biggie, though: people losing fat should eat moderately. Eat 5-6 meals a day to speed up the metabolism, lift weights, do cardio, and take breaks.

Yep, I'm still losing fat, too. Unfortunately, now that I've been doing this a while now, about 10% of my weight loss is actually muscle-- and I'm not very happy about it. So far, strength is still rising, but my fat moniter has pointed out that I've lost about 3 lbs of muscle along with the 30lbs of fat I've dropped the last 2 months. NOT happy!

I switched my diet (diet as in regimin, not DIET DIET!) over to more of a BB eating. Upped the protein to match my lean body mass and added more good fats. Upped the calories about 300 cals, too-- and stilll losing-- and shoveling in an OBSCENE amount of food 6 times a day as well. I'm seriously loving it.

I know some folks who begin this stuff do things like the body for life program (which I find to be more about testimonials and marketing, although the program is good for beginners). It works for them, but eventually they have to move onto something more personally tailored-- trail and error...

This week the kids have school off for turkey day (I don't believe in thanksgiving- it's a historical/political thing on my part, lol), so I had to reduce my workout time this week. So for this week I decided on split- M and W- chest, triceps, shoulders, abs T and F- back, legs, hip, and biceps. It's worked very well, and I'm actually thinking of trying it out for a few more weeks--

If you want to do more bb type training, maybe a 5 day split will work for you, esp if you've been doing this a while. Some of the folks at my gym are doing that--- and they pound that part really hard with a number of exercises for the day. If I had a chest day, I'd include triceps, though since they work a lot in bench press-- and save shoulders for at least two days later. Same with back and biceps together- pullups tend to use both...

Here's a good way of knowing how many calories to take: find out how much you weigh and use a calorie calculator to figure out how many calories your body needs to MAINTAIN your current weight. Then, take that number (the number of calories you need to maintain your weight) and multiply it by .20, and that will give you a healthy target for how many calories you should be taking in. Eat 20% less, do 30 minutes of cardio, and lift weights for 30-60 minutes a day, and the fat will come off. Split up your calorie intake to 5-6 meals a day (no big meals). This is how you kill your body fat.

Good rule of thumb, although fat percentage and lean body mass also plays a part. I mean me eating 1800=2000 calories at my weight is less than my friend who weighs about 170 and who eats 7000 cal-- but she's almost all muscle, too.

terracotta.googlepages.com is an interesting website, too. Ignore the marketing part on the book buying-- all the info needed is there-- but for anyone thinking to try it, you HAVE to do the workout along with the eating, or it's a bit pointless

www.fitday.com is a good calorie and macro tracker, and so is www.nutridiary.com

That's what has worked for me. I'm still doing my current routine, but I'm looking to change it up soon. I've been eating a lot of protein bars during my fat-burn phase because I want to maintain my muscle mass, and not lose muscle-weight. That's why I keep popping protein bars in me. Nice 20 grams of protein at a time (and about 300 calories each, nice enough for a small meal).

try whey protein instead, it's better than those bars (although I've had a few of those myself). think a scoop of whey, skim milk (if you're cutting), and a tb of natural peanut butter and some ice. smoothie time, lol

everything you said above is spot on. i think the mods need to encourage someone to write a sticky guide since there are some bad advice on fat loss all over the place

correct me if i am wrong but these bars have high amount of sugar alcohol which is bad since it causes insulin spikes along with the fact that they are expensive

while losing fat i was taking a scoop of isopure protein w/water (0 sugar - 25 grams protein) along with handful of almonds/flaxseed oil which puts my meal right around 275 cals but zero sugar and carbs which helped in keep my levels steady throughout the day..

Some of them do, but there's a lot of bars that have no sugar alcohol. However, some have a lot of regular old sugar, too- high fructose stuff, or palm kernel blah blah, etc. I'd just check the dietary info. I have them occasionally when I've got a "gotta eat cake" thing going on, but that's about it...

I keep hearing about flaxseeds too, Ive not tried those yet. I hear a lot about fish oil, but I eat so much fish I definetly don't need it.

I would cut out the milk too if i was cutting. somehow my cutting routine is a lil different with no chances. I know manufacturer labels have hidden things which a bird brain like me cant figure out so i just simply avoid it. Flax seed oil is very convenient way of getting healthy fat although with the wrong brand it can taste awful.. I would use almonds sometimes if i was really hungry

Currently my fav body part to workout is back day i just love doing shrugs and the worst still remains squats somehow i cant prep myself for leg days no matter how hard i try. I D/L max o/t plan but didnt follow that yet plus i am super interested in the 5x5 program it looks promising..

as for my stats since ramadhan i have gone up 12 plus pounds gained out of which 3-4 is fat (thanks to low metabolism) another 4-5 is creatine water retention standing at 162 with a target goal of 180-185 by march when i will start cutting. lost all taste for tuna and i really need to bump myself to the mid 3000 plus calorie mark

I would cut out the milk too if i was cutting. somehow my cutting routine is a lil different with no chances. I know manufacturer labels have hidden things which a bird brain like me cant figure out so i just simply avoid it. Flax seed oil is very convenient way of getting healthy fat although with the wrong brand it can taste awful.. I would use almonds sometimes if i was really hungry

Currently my fav body part to workout is back day i just love doing shrugs and the worst still remains squats somehow i cant prep myself for leg days no matter how hard i try. I D/L max o/t plan but didnt follow that yet plus i am super interested in the 5x5 program it looks promising..

as for my stats since ramadhan i have gone up 12 plus pounds gained out of which 3-4 is fat (thanks to low metabolism) another 4-5 is creatine water retention standing at 162 with a target goal of 180-185 by march when i will start cutting. lost all taste for tuna and i really need to bump myself to the mid 3000 plus calorie mark

My squats suck. Still working on flexibility and body weight only. Weight isn't the problem, but my ankles are verrry inflexible. Sometimes I put plates under my heels, but I'm afraid I'll end up relying on them too much.

Don't like tuna fish... well you're bulking, add chicken and turkey (I bet halal turkey is on sale right now too, LOL) and even red meat, if you can get it leaner. Unfortunately, the state of halal meat in my area is horrible- most ground beef is ground fat, so I don't mess with it, lol.

I cycled onto creatine again. I usually only put on 2-3 lbs of water, and it drops off after the first week or so. Some folks at the gym today were talking about NOXplode, but I don't know much about it or nitric oxide-- might be something you want to research first and look for scientific studies on it or something. I know bodybuilding.com forums has a science section (stay out of misc, there's some real jerks there, though).

What's your diet look like. Are you eating 1.5-2g protein per lb?

LOL everyone is bulking, I'm the only one who cuts in the winter and lets everything go in the summer. It's the anti-Muscle Beach effect..

No shrugs for me- I'd rather be a pencil neck in that regard. Women with upper traps.... nope, it doesn't work for me, though some strength is good for overall stuff. I've been working on my rows and lat pulldown forms- pinching the blades together and squeezing at the end of the ROM-- seems to be coming along ok..

Cutting progress- 33 lbs down the last few months, 3 lbs of it lean body mass (dern!). Trying to cut until my birthday in May- hopefully down to a normal BF% (20-24% inshaAllah). Then I plan on figuring out maintenance calories for a few months, and then go from there- see if I want more LBM or just maintain.. Depends on how much LBM I lose along with this fat.... Plus I want to bench 135 by next fall (i've got 45lb plate envy haha) , so maybe a teensy bulk cycle...

Don't like tuna fish... well you're bulking, add chicken and turkey (I bet halal turkey is on sale right now too, LOL) and even red meat, if you can get it leaner. Unfortunately, the state of halal meat in my area is horrible- most ground beef is ground fat, so I don't mess with it, lol.

Chicken is alright but i dont have the skills to prepare it :D .. In the summer i was B-bqing it for the entire week since i was serious abt weight loss but now i am going all out. I keep telling myself i am gonna improve but last night i had a bag of fries and half a medium pizza lol

I cycled onto creatine again. I usually only put on 2-3 lbs of water, and it drops off after the first week or so. Some folks at the gym today were talking about NOXplode, but I don't know much about it or nitric oxide-- might be something you want to research first and look for scientific studies on it or something. I know bodybuilding.com forums has a science section (stay out of misc, there's some real jerks there, though).

Remember i mentioned Nitrous to you some time back? Well that is No-Xplode and i am currently experimenting with BSN Mass Stack..

NO-Xplode is the bomb though, One of the best supplements i have ever taken. Now i feel like i cant work out unless i down a scoop which is not really a good thing for me. According to T-Nation No-Xplode has some harmful components but BB approves it.. I dont know and i dont care cause it works on me real good

What's your diet look like. Are you eating 1.5-2g protein per lb?

Protein is always high.. Need to make it through solid food instead

No shrugs for me- I'd rather be a pencil neck in that regard. Women with upper traps.... nope, it doesn't work for me, though some strength is good for overall stuff. I've been working on my rows and lat pulldown forms- pinching the blades together and squeezing at the end of the ROM-- seems to be coming along ok..

add deadlifts to that and you got my back workout routine along with some cable pulls. It is alright but need more resistance

Plus I want to bench 135 by next fall (i've got 45lb plate envy haha) , so maybe a teensy bulk cycle...

This is one of the biggest mind game to me.. While cutting i couldnt do nothing but since bulking and creatine intake my gains have gone by atleast 30%.. I dont bench extremely heavy weights cause i feel it in my shoulder plus i have heard some horror stories about blowing their pecs and shoulders so i am tilting more towards dumbells.

My goal still is to hit 225 by March..Gotta up it by 5lbs every chest day

I wrote a huge reply and due to Shiachat being down i lost it all!!!!!!!

I don't know much about nitrous, I'm not going to try it without more info because of my heart prob. Do you have the T-nation article?

well forget the article then cause i can tell you off the bat its not for you. It will raise your heartbeat level and maybe blood pressure too

You have long arms, don't you. Those short lever people can bench tons and bring the bar down to their chests- they have less to travel! I've got a huge wingspan (even for a tall girl), and I noticed a shoulder pinch as well. But I fixed it! Widen the grip (lower weight at first until used to it). Try to move elbows a little closer to the body (not totally though, or it's all tricep) instead of at a right angle from your body. I've switched to that, and I don't have any shoulder probs now. Be careful if you do upright rows for your shoulders too-- that can mess with your rotator cuff (I do mil press or clean and press instead)

I got reqular arms but so far it only happened once and that too cause i went on my max and i am thinkin it could be due to overextending or a faulty grip... Will give it another shot by warming up my shoulders this time

my grip has always been wide cause i know triceps will come into play and i dont want that at all.

Chicken is alright but i dont have the skills to prepare it :D .. In the summer i was B-bqing it for the entire week since i was serious abt weight loss but now i am going all out. I keep telling myself i am gonna improve but last night i had a bag of fries and half a medium pizza lol

chicken is easy, especially if you get the boneless skinless chick breasts (best for cutting- low fat this way). Seriously easy to make- cut it up and stiry fry with non-alcohol cooking spray and veggies, or wrap one of them in aluminium foil with some spices and lemon (or put in a pyrex dish and cover with foil) bake it for like 35-40 min at 350-400. There you have it. Make several at a time, and you can go a few days or just eat all chicken.

Remember i mentioned Nitrous to you some time back? Well that is No-Xplode and i am currently experimenting with BSN Mass Stack..

NO-Xplode is the bomb though, One of the best supplements i have ever taken. Now i feel like i cant work out unless i down a scoop which is not really a good thing for me. According to T-Nation No-Xplode has some harmful components but BB approves it.. I dont know and i dont care cause it works on me real good

I don't know much about nitrous, I'm not going to try it without more info because of my heart prob. Do you have the T-nation article?

Protein is always high.. Need to make it through solid food instead

Ergh, protein shake X 100. Add milk, a banana, and some natural pb at least!

add deadlifts to that and you got my back workout routine along with some cable pulls. It is alright but need more resistance

I usually do SLDL, but I'm off of them for a few weeks (medical stuff). Working on more abdominal core meanwhile, since I noticed it's my weaker point compared to the obliques and low back...

This is one of the biggest mind game to me.. While cutting i couldnt do nothing but since bulking and creatine intake my gains have gone by atleast 30%.. I dont bench extremely heavy weights cause i feel it in my shoulder plus i have heard some horror stories about blowing their pecs and shoulders so i am tilting more towards dumbells.

My goal still is to hit 225 by March..Gotta up it by 5lbs every chest day

You have long arms, don't you. Those short lever people can bench tons and bring the bar down to their chests- they have less to travel! I've got a huge wingspan (even for a tall girl), and I noticed a shoulder pinch as well. But I fixed it! Widen the grip (lower weight at first until used to it). Try to move elbows a little closer to the body (not totally though, or it's all tricep) instead of at a right angle from your body. I've switched to that, and I don't have any shoulder probs now. Be careful if you do upright rows for your shoulders too-- that can mess with your rotator cuff (I do mil press or clean and press instead)

I use DB for flys, though I used to press them, too. I've never heard of anyone blowing their pecs, lol. Shoulders yes, but pecs?

225 is VERY respectable!

I'm still relearning squats. I've got a major ankle flexibility problem. You do those, too?

As for the two naysayers above-- There's a big time use for weightlifting-- HEALTH and Weight Control! When they have an earthquake in Oklahoma, I'll go lift rocks.... until then, I'll just use mine to carry all my grocery bags in one hand :)

ppptthhtht!

I wrote a huge reply and due to Shiachat being down i lost it all!!!!!!!

well forget the article then cause i can tell you off the bat its not for you. It will raise your heartbeat level and maybe blood pressure too

I got reqular arms but so far it only happened once and that too cause i went on my max and i am thinkin it could be due to overextending or a faulty grip... Will give it another shot by warming up my shoulders this time

my grip has always been wide cause i know triceps will come into play and i dont want that at all.

I was reading some article (who knows where it was now, I forgot) about benching. I tried out the advice and "pinched the shoulderblades together" while doing the lifts-- that helped me too...

You gotta buy the Rippetoe book, it is exhaustive as heck!

when i do chest i tend to tuck my elbows in, that way u use your triceps which help you push heavier.....

right now i am doing a full body workout 3 days a week, mon -wed - frid . i basically do 2 sets of every muscle group with high reps of 15 on the first set, and if i am able to push 15 on the second set without a spot then i would up the weight next session.

ill be doing this for the next 3-4 months , then i will start focusing on 2 muscle groups perday going 5 days a week, pumping heavy weights, with low reps to bulk up during the winter

the reason for the high reps and full body work out is to gain strength

salams

deebo

high reps gives you tone, if you want strength do low reps and a heavier weight.

but how are u going to build up your strength if u have none to begin with

going heavy with low reps at the start can be dangerous, u could harm yourself

if u go high reps, i feel that it builds up ur strength and ur stamina, hence when u are ready to go heavy low reps u will be able to perform alot better at it

salams

deebo

p.s just an opinion of coarse lol

^everyone has some strength so you do a weight that is heavy for you, not one that you are not going to be able to lift. although if someone has hardly any strength and is just a beginner, they would probably have to start with high reps.

wieght lifiting is way overrrated, if you really wnat to get in shape, play sports, and play alot, run, do natual excersises such as push ups pull ups chin ups and crunches

if u look at some of the best atheletes who had the greatest physiques, they barely ever weight trained

Muhammad Ali is a perfect example

and so is Michael jordan, by far two of the greatest athletes of all time

Id rather have a MJ body then arnold shwagnegar cuz u feel so light on ur feet,

but i guess its because i prefer quickness over strenght, the more mass u put on, the more speed and athletism you compromise, of this there is no doubt

Edited by mohammad16

it depends on your body type, some people just naturally have a large body...personnaly i think its best to do a mixture of both weights and natural exercises, in my workout i include pull ups and chin ups but i need to use weightlifting to do heavier weights, and my ab workout is completly natural exercises.

it depends on your body type, some people just naturally have a large body...personnaly i think its best to do a mixture of both weights and natural exercises, in my workout i include pull ups and chin ups but i need to use weightlifting to do heavier weights, and my ab workout is completly natural exercises.

yea it does, most football players are broad, it depends on ur needs

but me personally, Id rather be light and all muslce then really big

bruce lee is a perfect example, he combined everything i think weights and alot alot of natural methods, his body was near perfection

bruce lee is a perfect example, he combined everything i think weights and alot alot of natural methods, his body was near perfection

his body was too skinny he may have been perfectly toned but more mass looks better, i suppose in the end its upto you what you think looks better.

his body was too skinny he may have been perfectly toned but more mass looks better, i suppose in the end its upto you what you think looks better.

well if u body build just for looks then i dont knwo what to say

bruce lee i think perfected it, and he did it to perform more then look good, and thats what i want to do

Ergh, protein shake X 100. Add milk, a banana, and some natural pb at least!

I use DB for flys, though I used to press them, too. I've never heard of anyone blowing their pecs, lol. Shoulders yes, but pecs?

225 is VERY respectable!

I'm still relearning squats. I've got a major ankle flexibility problem. You do those, too?

Funny thing is i hit 225 within 2 mos instead of 6 only i was being helped by a spotter who kept the bar straight with very light support just enough for me to get 5 reps in

Got a bad case of GI illness last month so i cant eat nor do i enjoy going to the gym. I have lost about 7lbs of muscle already and my bench has gone down to 175. I am just taking it easy now with the mass gaining plan on a backburner. Its time to start cutting but no gas or motivation for me to do so. very very depressing month :-(((

Edited by Logic