Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله

Four Penguins Die

Rate this topic

Zuljenah

• Advanced Member

http://www.wthr.com/Global/story.asp?S=5254895

Four penguins die after truck carrying Indy Zoo birds crashes

Aug 9, 2006 01:59 AM

Marshall, Texas - Four penguins traveling from the Indianapolis Zoo to a zoo in Texas died Tuesday in a truck accident. Two zoo employees suffered minor injuries when the truck overturned on a highway near Marshall in east Texas.

Twenty-one penguins stood on a Texas highway Tuesday morning after surviving a early morning truck accident. The refrigerated truck carrying the birds flipped over. Four penguins and an unknown number of exotic fish died.

5254895_BG4.jpg

Two zoo employees, who suffered minor injuries in the accident, took care of the birds at the scene. "We know that we have a king penguin with a broken wing. We have another two that appeared to be suffering from shock - couple of cuts and dings," said Karen Burns, Indianapolis Zoo.

The accident comes just a few days after the penguins made their last public appearance at the Indianapolis Zoo. The penguins, who are a crowd favorite, were traveling to a zoo in Galveston, Texas, while their Indianapolis home undergoes a year of renovations.

"They're just very playful with the public," said Tammy Root, one of the employees who suffered cuts and bruises in the accident. She talked with Channel 13 last year about taking care of the birds. "When we do a physical exam, we take blood, we check their heart rate, we trim their nails, we open up their beak just to make sure everything's okay."

Hoosiers grow fond of the birds every time a baby penguin is born, and all of us enjoy watching the penguins grow up. The employees who take care of the birds.. Grow attached to the penguins. Zoo officials say the injured penguins will get medical attention at a zoo in Tyler, Texas.

5254895_BG1.jpg

With the penguin exhibit closed until June of 2007, zoo-goers enjoyed the other animals on Tuesday, saying they're sad to hear about the penguins who died.

"I think it's pretty sad. We were disappointed today because we wanted to see the penguins," said one visitor. "It's awful. It's sad. It's terribly sad. It's a great loss," said another.

Zoo employees Tammy Root and Kelly Hodge suffered cuts and bruises. An octopus, crabs, starfish and urchins were also on the truck. Indianapolis zoo officials say they're not sure.. how many of those animals survived.

Other zoo employees are heading to Texas right now to help the injured employees and the surviving penguins.

[Poor penguins :( See link for more pictures...]

Edited by Zuljenah

• Advanced Member
Poor things, I really have a soft spot for animals. Maybe because they don't open their mouths and say stupid and naive things, they just get on with their lives content with what they have.

Yeah, so true :( they worship Allah better than most humans do, too...

and people are laughing and don't even care. :( god

Animals mourn the loss of their dead loved ones too :cry:

• Advanced Member

"Other zoo employees are heading to Texas right now to help the injured employees and the surviving penguins."

They should call the Red Cross too!! :P

Penguins are sooo cute, :wub: the way they walk, poor things :cry:

Edited by Rky

• Advanced Member
(salam)

if poeple brushed their teeth this would not have ever happened

What does brushing teeth have to do with this? :unsure:

*sigh* See the pictures of the poor penguins among the wreckage? What a picture... :cry: Cute animals don't deserve to die in this way... True say :(

• Advanced Member
(salam)

SIS I CRY AS I TYPE MANY TEARS FOR THEM BUT SIS I ASK YOU WHAT GOOD ARE FAT BIRDS THAT CANT FLY?

AND YES INDEED IT IS ALL BECAUSE PEOPLE DONT BRUSH THEIR TOOTHS

:o Rudeness! What good are fat humans that can't fly either? :dry:

WHAT IS GIONG ON WITH ALL THE TEETH BRUSHING COMMENTS?!?!?! :mad:

Someone tell me :cry: I don't see what brushing yoru teeth has anything to do with this!!!

• Advanced Member
:o Rudeness! What good are fat humans that can't fly either? :dry:

:D

WHAT IS GIONG ON WITH ALL THE TEETH BRUSHING COMMENTS?!?!?! :mad:

Someone tell me :cry: I don't see what brushing yoru teeth has anything to do with this!!!

I think they mean that the bad breath of the penguins made the driver lose concentration :unsure:

• Advanced Member

(salam)

Mashallah I am glad to see that people are seeing it my way. Indeed lack of hygine caused the crash.

Please beloved sister penguins are not good. yes, they wear suits and all that but what good are suits in the polar regions?! This is vanity and mix that with hatred of brushing ones teeth and you get a tragedy waiting to happen.

• 7 months later...