Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
ShiaChat.com
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله

Wedding Hijab

Rate this topic

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

when you have friends and perhaps even family pressuring you not to wear hijab on your wedding day, and an immense amount of frustration trying to find something appropriate to wear, i'd say it does deserve a "pat on the back"! just because something is wajib does not mean it is easy for everyone. as long as we are not giving someone a "pat on the back" for doing something WRONG, let's give some positive encouragement :)

hijab itself is meant to make a woman look not provocative and not to show herself in a way that makes men drool. however, it is not meant to "uglify" women. there is nothing against looking pretty in a modest sort of way. nowdays "beauty" and "sexual attractiveness" have become interchangeable, but, in fact, they really can be two different qualities. there are some beautiful paintings of hazrat zahra (saa) or the virgin mary or other holy women which are beautiful in their own way but are not provocative. so i think they are doing the best they can :)

regarding "transparency" that refers to cloth that shows the skin... in the above pictures, the "transparent" cloth was above solid cloth so it is within the letter of the law

hijab is not the only thing that will be accounted for on yawm al qiyamah, in fact it is most likely not the biggest thing. there are much deeper issues that we have to conquer and face. a horrible woman can put on a scarf and will still be a horrible woman even though she is doing her one wajib duty. so while hijab is a duty, we should be careful not to over focus on it and think of it as a "ticket to jannah" because the price is much higher than just that.

btw i know you are in the UK and language differs over there, but where i live, calling someone "honey" can be interpreted as flippant and maybe even a little disrespectful sometimes... i'm sure you didn't mean that but i just thought i'd let you know that that's how it can be interpreted in my shoes. also, telling someone their "personal opinion" may differ from "the facts" (as presented by yourself) is not the best way to approach people particularly when it is not an issue of cut and dry fact (such as 2+2=4).

regards :)

I'm not against looking pretty on the a wedding day..in fact a bride has to..especially for a husband. A woman is glowing on her wedding day and along with that natural glow, she dresses up and looks a lot more wonderful. All I am saying is that in the presence of na-mahram, it is islamically incorrect to be dressed up and looking ultra beautiful because that is not hijaab. yeah well done to them for wearing hijaab in the first place, but that is their islamic duty and therefore it is a MUST- i.e WAAJIB. We don't really need a pat on the back for that because it is as much our duty as salaah is. And I don't see people saying 'It is a big thing that she/he is reciting her prayers- because some people don't do it at all'.

We don't compare ourselves to those who don't wear hijaab because that is not going to help us on the day our sins and deeds are accounted for. For example, we don't look at non-muslims (or the so called muslims) who go out and drink and party..and then we don't do our salaah because ' Oh they're doing what is worse than me, so I should be okay because I am abstaining from so much worse that they do'..is that the point you are trying to make? I tried to give my example a bit clearly but It's been a long day and I'm having a hard time writing out my thoughts into words.

I really don't understand why brides/grooms take the biggest step of their lives, the sunnah of the Holy Prophet in an unislamic way- sure there will be a lot of barakah in a marriage such as that :rolleyes:

And regarding segragated wedding ceremonies- that is a bit obvious isn't it, because there are numerous types of haraam that can happen in a mixed wedding ceremony.

Anyway...I'm just stating the facts honey- your personal opinion may differ to them :)

Edited by BintAlHoda
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Advanced Member

Assalaamalaikum

Arrange for segregated ceremony as here in India ,wedding halls usually have 2 parts-one for men and the other for ladies.The wedding party is kept at the same time ,the same place ,the only difference that women have to be in separate hall.Everything is the same in both adjoining halls the decoration,the food.

Change needto be brought on a large scale.For this first the rich people should have immense faith and help their poor by constructing such wedding halls like adjacent to each other or one above another and give it on an affordable rental basis.Otherwise it will be mere words and no practical implementation.Sometimes mixed parties do happen because of lack of space,lack of proper arrangement of curtains to divide the hall in two if less space is required and also due to financial constraints.

You can't and also in my opinion should not expect a bride to be wearing a black burqa just because there are namehram around or she won't dress up in some plain cotton shalwar qamees with the color of kafan(white) just because men find her attractive.Instead men should be politely requested to sit separate and not enter the ladies section ,be sabir and not look at the bride.If they want to see the bride,one idea ,a passport sized photograph of bride and groom can be put in the doorway so that people know who is getting married.

May I be forgiven if I said too much.

Edited by Muslim_shia
  • 1 month later...
  • 8 months later...
  • Advanced Member

Salam sisters,

I think that the bride on her wedding day must look beautiful. From her dress to her make up etc etc... Even if you try to do as much as you can to cover up and get a loose fitted dress and have alittle make up on, you will STILL have something that is unislamic somehow...

If you want to start your marriage life with the angels cursing so be it, and if you want to start your marriage life with the angels asking for forgivness have a separate wedding....

The bride can wear whatever she wants and the girls will feel comfortable without men around them anywayzzz....

good luck girls..

salamz

• 3 months later...
  • Advanced Member

(bismillah)

(salam)

As my parents are on pilgrimage these days so i have to attend marriage ceremonies.Yesterday i visited a marriage ceremony in my neighbourhood.They had a mix set-up and it shook me to my heels when i saw the bride wearing really a vulgar dress without any sleeves and what else.I can't post her picture right now because it's so weird.They were sunni and the Maulvi sitting next to bride was feeling shy and said to the bride"can you please cover your head as i have to start the Nikkah cermon" so it's the condition here in Islamabad and i think it's not islamabad but it's turning to be westernabad.one can only hope so that Islam will inshallah prevail in Islamabad.

(wasalam)

• Advanced Member
(bismillah)

(salam)

As my parents are on pilgrimage these days so i have to attend marriage ceremonies.Yesterday i visited a marriage ceremony in my neighbourhood.They had a mix set-up and it shook me to my heels when i saw the bride wearing really a vulgar dress without any sleeves and what else.I can't post her picture right now because it's so weird.They were sunni and the Maulvi sitting next to bride was feeling shy and said to the bride"can you please cover your head as i have to start the Nikkah cermon" so it's the condition here in Islamabad and i think it's not islamabad but it's turning to be westernabad.one can only hope so that Islam will inshallah prevail in Islamabad.

(wasalam)

whats worse is there are so many hijab friendly pattersn for wedding dresses!! my mom found one and made my sister one chador and all!! it was so beautiful when all th elayers were on and the chador could even come off and the dress was still islamic cause it had asmaller under thingy and she even has on a "wedding veil" i can ask her if i can get ahold of and post apic with the faces blurred out!! my dad even walked he rto sit at the nikkah table!! yall saw my dress which was a last minute purchase and it still looked great for the ocation!! 9i didnt feel right wearing white cause i ummm was 2 months preg due to a mutah nikkah done before the perm nikah and it was with the same man and instead of letting the mutah lapse he said "lets get married" meaning he wanted to have a liscense and written contract in perm nikkah!!) what is it with these girls wearing the immodest attire? whats so wrong with these?

http://stylishmuslimah.blogspot.com/2009/0...dress-sale.html

or these?

http://www.buyweddingdress.net/islamic-bri...-with-hijab.php

i mean come on there are so many hijabi styles out there why go with the skanky (sorry couldnt find any better word...) attire?

• Advanced Member

Salam,

I covered during my wedding, yet not like the pictures I seen. I tied my hair low in back and wraped it tight to my head and tied at my neck. Then I pinned a light pretty sheer veil on. I think sisters tend to over do the hijab veil with these tall ones, looks silly to me. And why do sisters tend to pile up the make up? Its not a good look. Make up should enhance and not overwhelm

Yo can still see her hair, so why cover at all?

(salam)

I just found this online. Its beautiful!! :wub:

bala662818x603sq1.jpg

Salam-

Every family and people have their ways. You should encourge the sister.

(bismillah)

(salam)

(wasalam)

• Advanced Member
At all the Pakistani weddings I've attended, men and women were separated; usually in different halls/rooms altogether- which is how I think an Islamic wedding ideally should be.

Sister, Where in Pakistan this happens???? i would die to attend such a wedding... with proper seperation

• Advanced Member
WHAT EXACTLY IS THE PURPOSE OF A BRIDE WEARING HIJAB?? SHE'S GOT ALL THE MAKE-UP, JEWELLERY ETC.... I DON'T THINK THERE IS ANY USE..... WHAT SHUD BECOME COMMON IS THAT THERE SHUDN'T BE MALE VIDEOGRAPHERS AND WAITERS IN MARRIAGES...IT SHUD BE COMPLETELY FOR "LADIES" .......

BUT UNFORTUNATELY THIS IS NOT VERY COMMON... GENTS USUALLY DO COME IN ATLEAST IN MY PLACE...INDIA..

so do here in Pakistan... :cry: :cry: :cry:

i wish weddings were more segregated so that all te hijabis would feel comfortable... besides mix gatherings isn't according to teachings of islam (especially when one is not doing hijb)...

Edited by Fida wal muqawamah
  • Advanced Member
Here are some ideas:

these are all umm nice in color but the cut is the oh my god snatch the daughter/dauhghters up and make them wear an over garment at least!! and i will make my daughters wedding segragated and no skin tight dresses will be worn at her weding we just dont roll that way! why even bother to wear hijab if you wear cloths tight enough that people can see the curves and sizeing of your body? im not being judgemental just asking a simple question if thats yalls cup o tea then its yalls cup o tea but it aint mine!!

umm on a side note whats up with the tickers mine is suposed to say that ive been bf for 2 months 7 days!! did they have to reset the server?

Edited by ORLITHDM
  • Veteran Member
so do here in Pakistan... :cry: :cry: :cry:

i wish weddings were more segregated so that all te hijabis would feel comfortable... besides mix gatherings isn't according to teachings of islam (especially when one is not doing hijb)...

More and more wedding ceremonies in Pakistan are mixed these days. There is no harm in mixed gathering if women observe proper hijab.

• Veteran Member
^ i dont want to go to a wedding where i have to wear my hijab ... thank God weddings here dont have mix gatherings

I prefer mixed gatherings. Gives me a good chance to find a nice looking hijabi :P

• Advanced Member

my grandma threw a fit at my sisters reception dinner when she found out it was gonna be seperated! she made grampa leave i wasnt gonna leave so i took my daughters carseat out their car and stayed at moms after for a few days! they even offered to shift so they could sit with each other! grandma only saw the curtain not the solution! shes not muslim but comeon its a dinner!

Edited by ORLITHDM
  • Veteran Member
Mixed gatherings are stressful - you have to be careful all the time and give the prescribed impression --> :angel: and for some of us, this can be exhausting.

A suggestion to avoid exhaustion --> Just be who you are all will be fine. :P

• Advanced Member

Being who you really are might be interpreted as impolite and rude ..... and not only this you might be called many other names too / no for mix gatherings life is not easy with other females judgeing you and we dont want males to be in the formula too

• Advanced Member
I prefer mixed gatherings. Gives me a good chance to find a nice looking hijabi :P

True it's beneficial for single men however I would feel bad for the bride , poor woman every bride wants the look the more attractive possible for her husband on such a beautiful day-wedding day yet in these mixed wedding, she has to wear a loose dress!?No make up at all?!Almost all covered?! Nah, that's not the best .

Separate weddings are A LOT more fun for women. :!!!:

Mixed gatherings are stressful - you have to be careful all the time and give the prescribed impression --> :angel: and for some of us, this can be exhausting.

They are fun! Fun for us and for the bride herself, she can wear the most attractive dress and a pretty hair style and look like a gorgeous angle to her groom. As for stressful, I do not find mixed weddings stressful for me, I ignore the existence of men (who is worth stressing us anyway?) and stick to my table with my friends and relatives.

• Veteran Member
True it's beneficial for single men however I would feel bad for the bride , poor woman every bride wants the look the more attractive possible for her husband on such a beautiful day-wedding day yet in these mixed wedding, she has to wear a loose dress!?No make up at all?!Almost all covered?! Nah, that's not the best .

For some reason the bride is considered exempt on that occasion even in mixed gatherings.

This is how usually brides and grooms dress up on our weddings. Not too bad?

Google Images:

3413566-Bride_and_Groom-Pakistan.jpg

pakistan-bridal%20clothing.gif

d5.jpg

• Veteran Member

Wow - those are beautiful costumes - very exotic !!

As for young women at mixed gatherings>>It may be different for some, but I do not have a large family to hide in and am often by myself and the target of intrusive people and every move I make is scrutinized. I find it very stressful and, personally, would much rather snuggle up in a granny style flanelette nightgown, eat cold macaroni and watch TV for the evening.

• 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Advanced Member

There's no such thing as a modest 'wedding hijab'... seriously, unless you're a convert who may have a mixed wedding as they'll invite their non Muslim family, why on Gods name would you have a mixed wedding. This is very prevalent in countries such as Iran and Egypt. Come on, who would want to wear a hijab on their wedding day??

Edited by Hawraa29