Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله

2 Somalis killed for watching World Cup

Rate this topic

• Advanced Member

SourceBy SALAD DUHUL, Associated Press Writer

1 hour, 23 minutes ago

MOGADISHU, Somalia - Radical Islamic militia fighters in Somalia shot and killed two people who were watching a banned World Cup soccer broadcast, a radio station reported Wednesday.

The hard-line Muslim fighters, who have banned watching television, opened fire after a crowd of teenagers defied their orders to leave a hall where a businessman was showing Tuesday's Germany-Italy match on satellite television, according to Shabelle Radio, an independent local station. It said the businessman and a teenage girl were killed.

Hard-line Muslim fighters, who wrested control of the Somali capital from warlords in June, have forbidden people from watching television or movies in line with their strict interpretation of Islam.

The militants of the Supreme Islamic Courts Council, who have established control in much of the south, have recently moved into parts of central Somalia, including the Mudug region where Tuesday's shooting occurred.

The leader of their group, Sheikh Hassan Dahir Aweys, has spent the past weeks in central Somalia recruiting fighters in his clan's native region.

Washington has accused the Islamic group of harboring al-Qaida leaders responsible for deadly 1998 bombings at the U.S. embassies in Kenya and Tanzania.

Somalia has been without an effective government since largely clan-based warlords overthrew longtime dictator Mohamed Siad Barre in 1991 and then turned on each other, dividing the nation into a patchwork of rival fiefdoms.

A U.N.-backed transitional government is established only in the southern town of Baidoa, where leaders on Wednesday met officials from a regional East African group, the African Union, European Union and the Arab League to discuss plans for deploying peacekeepers.

The 24-member delegation held talks with President Abdullahi Yusuf, Prime Minister Ali Mohamed Gedi and parliamentary Speaker Sharif Hassan Sheikh Aden.

The team is expected to visit Mogadishu Thursday for talks with the Islamic group that controls the city and opposes the deployment of peacekeepers.

Edited by ProudAmerican
  • Advanced Member

Some one posted an interview with the new guy there. He seemed pretty normal. Apparently he is as stupid an awful as every other leader in Africa. Soon he'll be naming streets after himself and giving out somali business interests to members of his family.

(salam)

They're following Salafi/Wahabi school of thought, so obvious ignorance there. That's just plain murder.

ws

You mean plain ignorance here^^^^. They aren't wahhabi. This happened a couple of weeks ago too,..what I've heard is that the ICU doesn't have control over some of their militiamen who are young and prone to lashing out with violence at the slightest provocation. But the leadership had already issued orders to not implement a world cup ban,..this is why people were even attemtpting to watch the italy-germany game.

Some one posted an interview with the new guy there. He seemed pretty normal. Apparently he is as stupid an awful as every other leader in Africa. Soon he'll be naming streets after himself and giving out somali business interests to members of his family.

This comment is so stupid. Firstly, Shaykh sharif shaykh ahmed isn't in control anymore,...secondly,..you don't know his opinions on what happened. For all you know he is very much upset about the whole incident.

Edited by Akwa
  • Advanced Member

(salam)

You mean plain ignorance here^^^^. They aren't wahhabi. This happened a couple of weeks ago too,..what I've heard is that the ICU doesn't have control over some of their militiamen who are young and prone to lashing out with violence at the slightest provocation. But the leadership had already issued orders to not implement a world cup ban,..this is why people were even attemtpting to watch the italy-germany game.

What is the reason that watching World Cup is banned? was it not for bid3a?

(salam)

What is the reason that watching World Cup is banned? was it not for bid3a?

They take the feed from neighboring foreign stations,..that means alcohol commercials and other unsavory things, these are the reasons the leadership gave previously.

Edited by Akwa
Like Akwa says, if these guys arent Wahhabis, then if "normal" Sunnis are this [edit] in the head, I wonder if there is any hope for Somalians? Wait a minute, I don't care...

If thats your picture i feel sorry for you.

Edited by Abdulhujjah
Guest Katayon

This comment is so stupid. Firstly, Shaykh sharif shaykh ahmed isn't in control anymore,...secondly,..you don't know his opinions on what happened. For all you know he is very much upset about the whole incident.

(salam)

thanks for the clarification bro akwa, and ignore the ridiculous comments of others.

i hope the somalis are successful with their implementation of a government suitable for the people and overcome the sort of violent mentality displayed by the incident in the article.

(salam)

• Advanced Member

Lester... there's hope for you yet. With very few exceptions, your statement is quite accurate.

• Advanced Member

(salam)

They take the feed from neighboring foreign stations,..that means alcohol commercials and other unsavory things, these are the reasons the leadership gave previously.

I see, sorry I jumped the gun there. I thought they followed the Wahabi creed.

ws

• Advanced Member
(salam)

They're following Salafi/Wahabi school of thought, so obvious ignorance there. That's just plain murder.

ws

But bro, saudi has been to world cup before and they watch the event in saudi. So I think there is more to this story.

The Islamic Courts Union has arrested the militiamen involved in the shooting,...they say they will be prosecuted them under Sharia law. Furthermore, there IS NO ban on worldcup soccer,..thats what they said. What happened is exactly as I predicted,....a few zealot militiamen simply went over the top,...it happens everywhere.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/africa/5153800.stm

This is what happens when certain people in the above posts talk without having the facts. You people expect Americans to give muslims the benefit of the doubt while you don't even give your own muslim brothers the benefit of the doubt.

exactly

No. "Radical" Islamists,...like you're claiming they are don't much care about press coverage, if they were the taliban would they give a hoot what the new york times thought?? No. Islamists don't operate by polls (unlike Bush), if they think something is correct they do it regardless of how much heat they get. The taliban got significant heat prior to blowing up the buddha statues, did that stop them??

And if you read the article you would see that the Islamist leaders said they NEVER issued a ban on the worldcup, this is the work of some over zealot militiamen. Remember the ICU is a loose patchwork of courts, not a clear cut administration.

Edited by Akwa