Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله
Sign in to follow this  
Ibn al-Hussain

Kissing Disease

Rate this topic

(bismillah)

(salam)

Alright so I was reading this on an other forum:

ok, my sister has mononucleosus, or kissing disease, and she gets to skip around 2 weeks to 2 months of school. Now, I really don't want to go to school, so what's a good way to get sick without actually kissing her lol. Any tips?

Thanks!

What the heck is kissing disease!? My cousin told me a person in her class had it as well. What on earth is it, and why would a person miss school ;).

Guest SayedM'sSister

(bismillah)

(salam)

maybe its a deasease causing u to run around kissing neone in site :D

Edited by SayedM'sSister

(bismillah)

(salam)

You guys are useless :dry:

Infectious mononucleosis, commonly called mononucleosis, or "mono," is an illness caused by a viral infection, most often the Epstein-Barr virus. Mononucleosis has been nicknamed the "kissing disease" because Epstein-Barr virus commonly is transmitted in saliva during kissing. However, sneezes and coughs also can transmit the virus occasionally. In about 15% of cases, mononucleosis is caused by cytomegalovirus and human herpes virus-6, viruses that, like Epstein-Barr virus, are members of the herpes family. HIV infection, hepatitis viruses and even the parasitic infection toxoplasmosis can mimic infectious mononucleosis.

Mononucleosis typically occurs the first time a person is infected with Epstein-Barr virus. Once a person is infected, the virus remains alive in the body for the rest of his or her life. After the initial infection, it rarely produces any kind of illness, but it can be transmitted to others. The initial infection with Epstein-Barr virus does not always cause mononucleosis. It often causes only a mild illness, like a cold, or no illness at all. Epstein-Barr virus permanently infects more than 90% of the people on Earth, but it causes mononucleosis only in a small minority of them. In developed nations, such as the United States, mononucleosis most often develops between the ages of 15 and 25, although it can occur at any age.

Symptoms

The first symptoms of mononucleosis typically include fever, headaches, muscle aches and unusual fatigue, such as the need for 12 to 16 hours of sleep daily. These symptoms are followed very shortly by:

Sore throat

Enlarged lymph nodes

Chills

Joint aches

Loss of appetite and slight weight loss

Nausea and vomiting, occasionally

A red rash, usually on the chest — much more common if the person has recently taken the antibiotics ampicillin or amoxicillin (both sold under several brand names)

Abdominal pain

Enlarged spleen

Other rare symptoms include jaundice (yellow skin and eyes), difficulty breathing, coughing or irregular heart rhythms. In rare cases, an enlarged spleen can rupture. This is most likely to occur if the person is struck in the abdomen, possibly during contact sports or other activities. The spleen is a small organ near the stomach that houses many infection-fighting white blood cells, and purges worn-out red blood cells from the circulation. Untreated, a ruptured spleen can cause life-threatening internal bleeding.

Diagnosis

Your doctor will ask you about your medical history and current symptoms, as well as about your recent exposure to anyone with mononucleosis or mono-like symptoms.

During a physical exam, your doctor will look for signs of mononucleosis, especially fever, a reddened throat with enlarged tonsils (possibly covered with pus), swollen lymph nodes in the neck and elsewhere, an enlarged spleen (located in the upper left side of the abdomen) and a red rash, usually on the chest.

Your doctor also will do blood tests to help make the diagnosis. The results of these blood tests may not be abnormal until the person has been ill for a week. There are two types of blood tests that help to make the diagnosis:

Differential white blood cell count — This test identifies the number of each different type of white blood cells circulating in your blood. In the first few weeks of mononucleosis, the number of a type of white blood cell called lymphocytes is quite high. There also are large numbers of lymphocytes that look unusual — called atypical lymphocytes. Other conditions can increase the number of lymphocytes, but few other conditions produce atypical lymphocytes.

Heterophil tests — Mononucleosis causes white blood cells to make an unusual kind of antibody called heterophil antibody. Few other conditions cause this antibody to be produced. It can be measured using several different tests called heterophil tests. The traditional heterophil test usually takes one to two days. Newer tests give more rapid results, without sacrificing accuracy. For that reason, they are used more often.

Expected Duration

Symptoms of mononucleosis usually are most intense during the first two to four weeks of the illness. However, mononucleosis symptoms, especially fatigue, can sometimes last for several months.

Prevention

This disease is most contagious during its acute stage, while the affected person still has a fever.

Someone with mononucleosis does not need to be kept isolated from others. However, to help prevent the spread of mononucleosis, many doctors recommend that the patient avoid kissing others while he or she is feeling ill. Some authorities recommend that a person with mononucleosis also should avoid sharing food, drinks or eating utensils with other people during the first few weeks of the illness, although the value of this is unproven.

Treatment

Mononucleosis usually goes away on its own, and most treatment focuses on making the person more comfortable. Because there is no medical cure for mononucleosis, the basic treatment plan usually calls for getting plenty of rest and fluids and treating any uncomfortable symptoms. For example, cold drinks, frozen desserts and gargling with salt water can help to relieve minor sore throat pain. Ibuprofen (Advil, Motrin and others) or acetaminophen (Tylenol) can be taken to fight fever and body aches.

Steroids, such as prednisone, are not used often, but can be of value if the tonsils are so swollen that it is hard to breathe, or when certain rare complications occur, such as anemia. To protect the spleen from rupture, a person with mononucleosis should avoid strenuous activities, especially contact sports, for at least four weeks.

When To Call A Professional

Call your doctor if you develop the symptoms of mononucleosis. If you have been diagnosed with mononucleosis, contact your doctor immediately if your breathing becomes difficult or noisy, if you experience intense pain in the upper left side of your abdomen, or if your symptoms seem to be getting worse instead of better after one to two weeks.

Prognosis

Most patients with mononucleosis recover completely. About 10% of people with mononucleosis develop strep throat (a bacterial infection) that needs to be treated with antibiotics.

(salam)

What Is It?

Infectious mononucleosis (pronounced: mah-no-noo-klee-o-sus), sometimes called "mono" or "the kissing disease," is an infection that is usually caused by the Epstein-Barr virus (EBV). EBV is very common, and most people have been exposed to the virus at some time in childhood. Not everyone who is exposed to the virus develops the symptoms of mono, though. As with many viruses, it is possible to be exposed to and infected with EBV without becoming sick.

People who have been infected with EBV will carry the virus for the rest of their lives - even if they never have any signs or symptoms of mono. People who do show symptoms of having mono probably will not get sick, or have symptoms, again.

How Do People Get Mono?

One common way to "catch" mono is by kissing someone who has been infected, which is how the illness got its nickname. A quick smooch between friends probably won't do any harm. But if you have never been infected with EBV, intimate kissing with someone who is infected can put you at greater risk for getting the disease.

But what if you haven't kissed anyone? You can also get mononucleosis through other types of direct contact with saliva (spit) from someone infected with the virus, such as by sharing a straw or an eating utensil. Some people who have the virus in their bodies never have any symptoms, but it is still possible to pick up the virus from them. Although experts believe that EBV can spread from people who have the virus but don't have symptoms of mono, people are most contagious while they have a fever.

How Do I Know if I Have It?

Symptoms usually begin to appear 4 to 7 weeks after infection with the virus. Signs that you may have mono include:

* constant fatigue

* fever

* sore throat

* loss of appetite

* swollen lymph nodes (also commonly known as glands, located in your neck, underarms, and groin)

* headaches

* sore muscles

* larger-than-normal liver and

* spleen skin rash

* abdominal pain

How Can I Get Better?

There is no cure for mononucleosis, but the good news is that even if you do nothing, the illness will go away by itself, usually in 3 to 4 weeks. Because mono is caused by a virus, antibiotics such as penicillin won't help unless you have an additional infection like strep throat. In fact, certain antibiotics can even cause a rash if you take them while you have mono.

so people keep your saliva to yourself :P

Guest iraqi_jewel

SO the motto of this story is dont go kissing guys and girls ya muslim youth tsk tsk ali we told you man stop kissing

Guest iraqi_jewel

(bismillah)

(salam)

^:!!!: I got it before you :P

I think it's when people go around doing haram kissing other people a lot, suckers!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

whayoo your a genius now mashallah bravoo ;)

Guest SayedM'sSister

(bismillah)

(salam)

yeppy.....thts why u should never ever ever ever never ever kiss ever!!!

(bismillah)

(salam)

^:!!!: Well yah, I don't think divorce would be a good idea. It does say that the disease is curable...

Divorce is one of the worst things in the eyes of Allah :Hijabi:...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Though you might wonder how your spouse got it. . . . .

Mono is really NOT something you want to get, one of my freinds got it and had to repeat college courses because she missed so much school. People who get it end up sleeping practically 24/7 and are too weak to do much of anything till they recover.

Though you might wonder how your spouse got it. . . . .

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

i got this after 3-4 reading and after that I was ROFL ROFL ROFL :!!!: :!!!: :!!!: :!!!: :!!!: :!!!: :!!!: :!!!: :!!!: :!!!: :!!!:

good one sis

:dry: :dry: :dry:

Dont make fun of people who have this disease :angry:

I had it too...and it certainly wasnt fun :angry:

Psshh...and i certainly dont kiss anyone :dry:

I blame all my paki aunties...who come up to me and give me those slobery kisses on the cheek

Anyways..in all seriousness...this is an airborne disease. it is passedd through saliva. You can get it even if someone sneezes on you or something.

It is most definately sucks. You feel extreme exhaustion for 6 months - 1 year.

(bismillah)

(salam)

^Yah that's what I was trying to say when they said that one of the couple might just have it...cuz' it says you don't have to kiss someone to get it :dry:...

I blame all my paki aunties..

:!!!: I can just imagine..

AAOI PUTTRI! ITHAI AAOI PUTTAR! *MUWAH MUWAH* HY MERA BACHA KITNA JAWAAN HO GAIYA HAI *MUWAH MUHWAH MUWAH* JEO! Allah LAMBI ZINDAGI DAI PUTTAR! *MUWAH MUWAH* HY KITNI SOHNI AKHIYAN HAI! *MUWAH* Hy NAZAR NA LAG JAYAI *MUWAH*.

Edited by Ali_Imran

:dry: :dry: :dry:

Dont make fun of people who have this disease :angry:

sorry sis if we hurt u we were just speculating if one of our spouses have it..?

I blame all my paki aunties...who come up to me and give me those slobery kisses on the cheek

Guess where did those aunties got it from ?? see below for answer:

AAOI PUTTRI! ITHAI AAOI PUTTAR! *MUWAH MUWAH* HY MERA BACHA KITNA JAWAAN HO GAIYA HAI *MUWAH MUHWAH MUWAH* JEO! Allah LAMBI ZINDAGI DAI PUTTAR! *MUWAH MUWAH* HY KITNI SOHNI AKHIYAN HAI! *MUWAH* Hy NAZAR NA LAG JAYAI *MUWAH*.

Hey Ali u must be a hunk to get those aunties going for u....

Guest Musulmano

(bismillah)

(salam)

Alright so I was reading this on an other forum:

What the heck is kissing disease!? My cousin told me a person in her class had it as well. What on earth is it, and why would a person miss school ;).

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I swear you can get the kissing disease if you kiss someone with the same disease omg omg is she muslim ? is she iraqi? omg omg whats her name?!!!

ahhh sod it... her mouth must look sore..

Guest Qt-Maram

loll.. hehe

is it the same as what the woman in the book 'holes' (there is a movie of it as well i think) has.. :huh: or was that different, dunno.. anyway..

that book was boring :dry:

u guyz shud not be talking about these stuff.. ur too young for it -_-

no but seriously, the topic was on a 'kissing desease' then after a few replies, it turned into a topic of muta and divorces :huh:

Edited by Qt-Maram