Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله
Sign in to follow this  
kareema

Importance of education for women...

Rate this topic

(salam)

What do you think about the importance of education for women?

What do you think about that when some immigrants move to the western countries (as refugees or other immigrants) and they want their women to stay at home and not go out alone?

What do you think about that if some Muslim immigrants don't want to let their girls go to school or apply for work because they don't want them to get mixed with men?

What do you think about that some people expect to get money from the government (unemployment benefit) although they don't want to do their own part which is completing the school, studying a profession, look for work to support themselves...? Unemployment benefit is conditional here. You get it if you are registered as unemployed and are ready to study or work if the employment office offers something. What if you don't even want to study or work?

If these men don't want their women (mothers, sisters, wifes...) to go to work why don't they do exactly that what they talk about: go to work themselves and support all the women of their family? Why do they want the help of the government for that?

The truth is that one person can't support a complete family here without others getting some benefits from the government. However, most of the government's benefit are conditional...

So, the question is: what purpose does it serve not to let women study to get at least the minimum profession? They say that the men will take care of them but who says that there will be always men in the family to support? Doesn't this make women helpless because one day they might have to go out alone whether they wanted it or not and find help for themselves. Doesn't Allah help those who help themselves?

What do you think if you hear that some of your sisters stopped even primary school because they don't want to get mixed with men and in same time they don't study otherwise (eg. home school) to get the certificate? No, they don't want to study even on their own and go only to the exams because they don't want to get mixed with men. Completing primary school is the key to other schools anyway. Didn't our Prophet (pbuh) tell us that it's wajib on both men and women to look for knowledge? What are these sisters going to do if their fathers, brothers and husbands die or become sick?

I know there are difficulties which come from mixing with men but which one is worse: mixing with men and fighting to keep good hijab or stop studying and become totally dependant on the men of the family? Sooner or later the woman might have to go out alone, go to the food shop at least, help the sick husband and other sick members of the family who are unable to help the women. And we know how difficult it's to get work even for immigrant men in west...

Or should we women just think that "it's our right that men take care of us"? Isn't that quite big risk not to have plan B for emergency situation? Or is the plan B that then you will be helped by some other relatives? What if you lose all those men who are supposed to help you? Then what?

Looking forward to your opinions...

Edited by kareema

Education is very important not just for women but for everyone...its the uneducated that usually get up to no good LOL...not all the time though (sometimes educated people are worse LOL :Hijabi: ..like that free masonist that has 33 degrees)!!!

(salam)

One thing that most people dont understand is that the women of ahlul bayt didn't step out of their home to pursue knowledge because all the knowledge originated from their household.

But we need to take the path of their followers. Men and women (follower of ahlul bayt) all flocked to them as source of guidance. Refer to history for numerous evidence when ppl came to see The Imams of ahlul bayt and also their womenfolk for pursuit of knowledge.

(salam)

Its interesting you post this i was discussing this with someone who i know very well whose family do not want her to continue her education simply becuase it is seen as a deternt to marriage. considering further or higher education in her culutre speaks volumes ( don't ask even i don;t understand).

anyway throughout the discussion she continually said education isnt necessary especially for a women. a women is expected to cook, clean, look after the family home etc and that leanring these important skills was the most important , what she didint seem to understand was that learning these skils is an education in itself!!

Now i'm a firm beleiver in the fact that education is something that every person should be entitled to and should be made available to eveyrone no matter what race, sex, or class they come from.

It is extremly important because a lack of knowledge is just a lack of what i feel basic skills.

The Ahlul bayt encouraged seeking knowlegde

If i;m not mistaken the Prohpet Said "seek knowledge even if you have to go to China" and this to me means everyone not just men.

What do you think about that if some Muslim immigrants don't want to let their girls go to school or apply for work because they don't want them to get mixed with men?

Um, personally i feel sorry for them as much as i dispise their decisions i feel that they are being extremly small minded and denying what I'd call a basic skill. sis if they were that worried about their daughters interaction wiht the namahram well there are single sex schools and in your day to day life your going to have to meet and work along side the opposite sex.

My personal view is that they are extremly small minded and if they really cared for thier daughters well being well they;d not deny her of a basic right.

ma'salaama

sorry if ive repeated any points i was watching the footy at the same time eng aren't doning to well at the mo !

(salam)

One thing that most people dont understand is that the women of ahlul bayt didn't step out of their home to pursue knowledge because all the knowledge originated from their household.

thats a really good point and another point which i think many forget is something Imam Ali (A.S) said very nicely

"your time and your childrens times are very different, do not think that everything stays the same" Just to be on the safe side do check that up thou .

ws

Education and working are two different things! So basically it should be two questions not one!

(salam)

What do you think about the importance of education for women?

Is there any doubt as to the importance of education regardless of sex?

What do you think about that when some immigrants move to the western countries (as refugees or other immigrants) and they want their women to stay at home and not go out alone?

Its pretty natural, they probably come from conservative societies and it is a very big change to move to another country and not to mention the language, cultural differences are completely different. It is natural to be very protective of your family and loved ones. Its very easy to judge from outside and think what in the world are these people doing, but unfortunately we forget that it is a big change for them!

This would only be possible if they come from a very conservative society , thus promoting the need of having muslim especially shia schools / high schools!

What do you think about that some people expect to get money from the government (unemployment benefit) although they don't want to do their own part which is completing the school, studying a profession, look for work to support themselves...? Unemployment benefit is conditional here. You get it if you are registered as unemployed and are ready to study or work if the employment office offers something. What if you don't even want to study or work?

umm every thing in this world is organized as a natural curve. So i wouldnt doubt that ppl like these exist, but they should be very few in number! There could be many reasons why someone would feel this way.

1- They are very afraid of the american society and have had a rough time in their lives.

2- They dont have any purpose or aim in life. This usually happens when they dont have direction in life and have very low decision making power.

If it is the second part , then it is a matter of time that they will start to develop decision making power! When a human being starts seeing that due to his/her actions they will remain hungry , be shelterless etc, basically their very survival in this world is becoming hard then it opens eyes and they start getting their act together. Best thing is to advice these kind of people to realize this issue and what will happen if they dont work, the faster they realize it , the faster they will start working.

If these men don't want their women (mothers, sisters, wifes...) to go to work why don't they do exactly that what they talk about: go to work themselves and support all the women of their family? Why do they want the help of the government for that?

Seems like some one hates men or doesnt like the male dominated world ;) anywayz, umm lack of direction in life :dry:

The truth is that one person can't support a complete family here without others getting some benefits from the government. However, most of the government's benefit are conditional...

So, the question is: what purpose does it serve not to let women study to get at least the minimum profession? They say that the men will take care of them but who says that there will be always men in the family to support? Doesn't this make women helpless because one day they might have to go out alone whether they wanted it or not and find help for themselves. Doesn't Allah help those who help themselves?

And the same could be said, if a woman goes to work she might have a car accident and die and she might not be around for the man but this argument can go both ways! What you are trying to point out is having a contingency plan, really one cannot plan for everything in life, although some preparation can be made!

What do you think if you hear that some of your sisters stopped even primary school because they don't want to get mixed with men and in same time they don't study otherwise (eg. home school) to get the certificate? No, they don't want to study even on their own and go only to the exams because they don't want to get mixed with men. Completing primary school is the key to other schools anyway. Didn't our Prophet (pbuh) tell us that it's wajib on both men and women to look for knowledge? What are these sisters going to do if their fathers, brothers and husbands die or become sick?

Its sad if people do that, but if this really is the case then it further strengthens my belief in having shia schools all around the country. As far as what will happen to them if men die in their family, oh well human being makes adjustment according to circumstances and i am sure they will make adjustments. FLIP SOME BURGERS !

I know there are difficulties which come from mixing with men but which one is worse: mixing with men and fighting to keep good hijab or stop studying and become totally dependant on the men of the family? Sooner or later the woman might have to go out alone, go to the food shop at least, help the sick husband and other sick members of the family who are unable to help the women. And we know how difficult it's to get work even for immigrant men in west...

Or should we women just think that "it's our right that men take care of us"? Isn't that quite big risk not to have plan B for emergency situation? Or is the plan B that then you will be helped by some other relatives? What if you lose all those men who are supposed to help you? Then what?

Looking forward to your opinions...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Like i said you cant plan for everything in life, just be prepared to handle different situations whether you are highly educated or not , be prepared to handle different things in life and being able to cope with them!

Education is very important not just for women but for everyone...its the uneducated that usually get up to no good LOL...not all the time though (sometimes educated people are worse LOL :Hijabi: ..like that free masonist that has 33 degrees)!!!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

So educated ppl are just dumb ! They could even get a PHD and still be dumb as hell ;)

(salam)

Seeking knowledge is incumbent upon every man AND woman....but a woman doesn't necessarily have to leave her home to seek knowledge, same goes for getting a good education.

wasalam

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Education is no doubt very important especially for the women, i cant vouch the same for working unfortunately!

EVERYONE SHOULD WORK HARD TO GET THEIR EDUCATION AND ACQUIRE KNOWLEDGE.

Imam ali(as) said to acquire knowledge even if the source is a kaffir.

Allah AKBAR, KHAMENEI RAHBAR