Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله

From Sunni to Shia (Alhamdillah)

• Advanced Member

Salaam Alaikoum brothers & sisters

Inshallah all are doing well..?

From sunni to shia, i have experienced many different treatments as where i pray and how i pray, Alhamdillah my priority are my deeds i owe to

Allah (swt) and Ahul-al-bayt (as). Im curious of what my muslim brothers and sisters think of praying in different mosques that are from different school of thoughts, although its all bayt Allah (swt). To me it's ok, although i have made to feel very uncomfortable at times in places i once upon a time spent so much time there, now that i am from a different school of thought i feel very unwelcomed.

Thats a big shame to me, as a revert to islam its very disapointing. So plz to all muslims dont make others from different school of thoughts making salat at your local mosque feel uncomfortable and unwelcomed, im just speakn from experience. Plz no offense to anyone reading this post. May you forgive me if i have offended you. Inshallah kheir.

Wa Alaikoum Assalaam

post-27426-1139923143_thumb.jpg

post-27426-1139923171_thumb.jpg

post-27426-1139923224_thumb.jpg

Edited by labayka_ya_hussein

• Advanced Member

(salam)

Well yes, they are both the house of God. However, in my opinion, it is preferable to pray in a shia mosque for the sake of convenience because we can't pray behind sunni's, turba's are available etc. Also, I've heard stories from many shia's about bad experiences at lakemba mosque (like them moving ur turba etc). The shia mosques I've been to don't act unwelcomingly to sunnis or ppl of other schools of thought, alhamdulilah. But if there are shia mosques out there which do not welcome those of other schools of thoughts as I'm sure there are, they should change. Alhamdulilah we don't really have that problem in sydney. On the other hand, visiting sunni mosques with the intention of unity is very important.

wasalam

Edited by ~RuQaYaH~

• Veteran Member

Inshallah all are doing well..?

From sunni to shia, i have experienced many different treatments as where i pray and how i pray, Alhamdillah my priority are my deeds i owe to

Allah (swt) and Ahul-al-bayt (as). Im curious of what my muslim brothers and sisters think of praying in different mosques that are from different school of thoughts, although its all bayt Allah (swt). To me it's ok, although i have made to feel very uncomfortable at times in places i once upon a time spent so much time there, now that i am from a different school of thought i feel very unwelcomed.

Thats a big shame to me, as a revert to islam its very disapointing. So plz to all muslims dont make others from different school of thoughts making salat at your local mosque feel uncomfortable and unwelcomed, im just speakn from experience. Plz no offense to anyone reading this post. May you forgive me if i have offended you. Inshallah kheir.

Wa Alaikoum Assalaam

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Salaam,

It's good to see more and more converts everyday, it just strengthens my faith in the decision I made a few years ago...

I am a sunni to shia convert and there are many of us here...

I have lived all my life in my sunni community and when I go to the mosque I put down my sajjadiyyah/ Turbah and pray behind the sunni Imaam and among the bretheren...

Alhamdulillah no one has shot at me yet :lol: , so I don't feel Taqiyah necessary for me, although I get allot of dirty looks... And if looks could kill...

I feel my actions are necessary to show unity between our groups, which is far more important to me than going to pray at a Shi' Mosque, of which the only one nearby is a 1/2 hrs drive from my house!

Was-Salaam

• Advanced Member

(bismillah)

(salam)

I am from around the arncliffe area, and i prefer to attend Arncliffe mosque for many reasons, firstly because the way i pray is respected there, i am not critisised and most importantly i am praying behind a shia imam.

At lakemba mosque you are pretty much looked at in discust and stared at pitiably when i am seen praying on the turbah. many incidents have occured at lakemba mosque where some people where kicked out of the mosque after refusing not to pray on the turbah when approached and asked to get rid of the turbah, also seeing us pray on a turbah makes the sunnis critise us there, and its happened. i know from my self, when i go Arncliffe mosque and see a sunni pray, i actaully stare, i guess i stare becuase firstly its really rare to see sunnis pray at Arncliffe mosque, secondly i stare at the way they are praying ie; arms folded, no turbah etc; i stare out of startlement at the difference in the way we "muslims" pray. but i dont critisise. i always respect people that go to the mosque from different sects and no one from the mosque has ever disrespected any sunni for not praying on the turbah or folding arms etc; but at lakemba many incidents have happened where they critisise, or tell you get rid of the turbah etc and you dont feel comfortable or respected there unfortunately.

Duas & Salams

Fatima

• Advanced Member
well we dont care if a sunni comes to a Shia Mosque  but we are happy for him that he came in a shia Mosque...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

thats true, around a month ago there was this sunni family whom came to wash the body of their father at the shia mosque in arncliffe, the mosque was packed fuull sunnis whom are the relatives of the man that passed away, and they were praying and all, and i was sooo happy to see sunnis washing their dead in a shia mosque, and was happy to see sunnis pray in our mosque, but i gotta admit i did stare at the way they prayed but not in the way of critising but becuase i dont usually have the chance to see sunnis pray and was startled.

• 1 month later...
  • Advanced Member

Im curious of what my muslim brothers and sisters think of praying in different mosques that are from different school of thoughts, although its all bayt Allah (swt).

(salam)

There is nothing wrong with praying in different mosques, granted you are not losing your privalege to pray the way you are suppose to. I have never really had a problem with this issue here (in Canada) everytime I have attended a Sunni Mosque. They are mostly welcoming, and eventhough they sometimes stare, they still mind their own business. Also, many Sunnis attend the Friday Khutbas and Prayers at the Shia mosque I regularly goto, and we have always treated them with respect too.

(salam)

it is preferable to pray in a shia mosque for the sake of convenience because we can't pray behind sunni's,

wasalam

Our scholars allow us to pray behind the sunnis as long as we perform our prayers individually while being in the jamaat. I have also heard that we get the same amount of reward as a prayer performed in a normal jamaat, but I'm not 100% sure.

wasalam

• Advanced Member

(salam)

First of all i welcome you to Islam and shia faith ,and 2 shiachat

about praying in Sunni mosque or Shia mosque its baayet Allah so if there gonna stare well that there problem at leaat your intentions a to make unity inshallah

i am also a ex sunni i live like 1 street behind lakemba mosque iv never had any trouble except for the stares which is normal in both sides anywayz im really interested in knowing

how u became a Muslim and what made u revert to shia plz share :blush: :)

• 2 weeks later...
  • Advanced Member
Our scholars allow us to pray behind the sunnis as long as we perform our prayers individually while being in the jamaat. I have also heard that we get the same amount of reward as a prayer performed in a normal jamaat, but I'm not 100% sure.

wasalam

(salam)

Yep, what I meant was that if you pray behind them with the intention of jamaat prayers, it doesn't count as your obligatory salat, you have to redo it later. But if you do it individually that's fine.

It is a pleasure to note that many are reverting to Shia Islam in Australia. I am not in Australia but seek to migrate to soon. Can sometell tell me if there is any revert to Shia Islam in Melbourne?

salam, where are you coming from sis/bro? I don't personally know of any since I'm in sydney but I'm sure there are some. If you visit a shia islamic centre in Melbourne, you'll probably find a few ex-sunnis because all the shia Islamic centres here in sydney have a few sunni to shia converts.

Salam,

Many of you have said that you cannot pray behind a Sunni imam, or that if you pray in a Sunni jama'ah you have to offer your prayers separately.

I'm curious, why is that?

You can pray behind them but do it individually.

Because the way we perform prayers is different to the sunni way of praying. There are some parts of salat which are obligatory to do in shia madhab which sunni's don't do.

wasalaam

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • Advanced Member
Because the way we perform prayers is different to the sunni way of praying. There are some parts of salat which are obligatory to do in shia madhab which sunni's don't do.

Assalamu Alaykam,

What if we do our prayers regardless of how the Sunni's are praying?

In my case, the nearest masjid to my work is Sunni-based, so I take part in the Jumaat prayer, but just pray my way.

Is this acceptable?

Wassallam.

• Advanced Member

(bismillah)

Assalam alaykum sis Ray,

How you doing? Inshallah all is well..

Re. your questions, you're more likely to get quicker reponses in the Islamic Laws and Jurisprudence forum.

I did a search for your question on the forum (you'd be surprised how often the same question pops up sometimes) and came up with the following threads. Inshallah they help and dont confuse.

http://www.shiachat.com/forum/index.php?sh...c=72911&hl=

http://www.shiachat.com/forum/index.php?sh...c=69322&hl=

http://www.shiachat.com/forum/index.php?sh...c=66929&hl=

http://www.shiachat.com/forum/index.php?sh...c=64304&hl=

If they dont give you a proper answer or confuse you, please post the question in the Islamic Laws section and inshallah someone much more knowledgable will be able to answer your question.

See you soon inshallah sis,

fi amanillah

• Advanced Member

Salaam Iman, how are you??? Alhumdulilah you are all ok and back safely! Insha'Allah you are not too 'traumatised' by your experience :)

Jazzakallah Kheir sis for the links, may Allah (swt) reward you!

Take care, we should catch up ASAP!!!

Fi aman Allah

RayRayRAY........LOL! :!!!: :lol: (iman will get that!)

• 3 years later...
  • Advanced Member

some shias wont pray in a congregation with sunnis (ie sunni imam), some will but will make the intention that they are praying individually (furaadaa) rather than in congregation (jamaa'at), and some will pray in congregation. just depends on that individual's beliefs really.

one thing which sunnis do which invalidates the prayer for shias (at least some) is the recitation of 'ameen' after the sura hamd. there are a few technicalities, like reciting partial suras, i dont think shias do that either in regular prayers. shias also dont pray mustahab prayers in congregation e.g. taraweeh. shia beliefs do differ in jurisprudence, as they may follow different scholars, or simply go by different beliefs.

but i do know that many shias do still stand with sunnis in prayer as a sign ofunity, they may just make the intention of furaadaa. so they are reciting all parts of the prayer for themselves, rather than leaving it to the imam to recite on their behalf.

Edited by Cary Grant

• 2 weeks later...
  • Advanced Member

Intresting topic.

I havnt come across any incidents or heard of anything happening to any shia at the lakemba mosque. Its pretty vile if any of it is true.

I pray behind sunnis and use there musalas and havnt been approached or told off, id love to see someone try, the general sunni communty does support unity and the unity of muslims.

I think salafes aka wahhabies are the ones who would react to seeing a shia pray in any masjid as we are grave worshiping, mut3 crazy, self harming and suhaba swearing jackles (sarcasm).

Pray at any mosque or masjid brother or sister and worship Allah as he wants to be worshiped.

Imam sadiq A.Sthat he asked Ishaq ibn ‘Ammar whether he says his prayer with the Sunnis inthe Mosque. Ishaq answered positively. Then Imam said:

Say your prayer with them.Surely whoever says his prayer with them in the first row is like the one whois fighting with his sword in the way of Allah. (Ibid & Wasā’il al-Shí‘ah, Vol. 8, p. 301)

Imam Sadiq AS told:

Whoever says his prayer with them in the first row is like the onewho said his prayer behind the Apostle of God (SAWAWS) in the first row. (Al-¯adā’iqal-Nāãirah, Vol. 11, p. 71 & Wasā’ilal-Shí‘ah, Vol. 8, p. 300)

These hadiths and a more deeper look into it came from the following

http://www.dartabligh.org/praying/Jamaahwiththesunnis.doc

• 3 months later...
  • Basic Members

Mahdi,

I tend to disagree,

I was once praying at Lebkemba I mean Lakemba and someone was pulling me away (physically) backwards from my Turba.

These days I dont care what people say, I pray where ever, in front of Sunnis, wahabis, I copuldnt care

im not praying to them lol

I was just in Kuwait and needed to pray at airport (all wahabis) and just went in there with me turba and knocked it off in front of everyone

I was famous!!! (as a target lol)

Intresting topic.

I havnt come across any incidents or heard of anything happening to any shia at the lakemba mosque. Its pretty vile if any of it is true.

I pray behind sunnis and use there musalas and havnt been approached or told off, id love to see someone try, the general sunni communty does support unity and the unity of muslims.

I think salafes aka wahhabies are the ones who would react to seeing a shia pray in any masjid as we are grave worshiping, mut3 crazy, self harming and suhaba swearing jackles (sarcasm).

Pray at any mosque or masjid brother or sister and worship Allah as he wants to be worshiped.

Imam sadiq A.Sthat he asked Ishaq ibn ‘Ammar whether he says his prayer with the Sunnis inthe Mosque. Ishaq answered positively. Then Imam said:

Say your prayer with them.Surely whoever says his prayer with them in the first row is like the one whois fighting with his sword in the way of Allah. (Ibid & Wasā’il al-Shí‘ah, Vol. 8, p. 301)

Imam Sadiq AS told:

Whoever says his prayer with them in the first row is like the onewho said his prayer behind the Apostle of God (SAWAWS) in the first row. (Al-¯adā’iqal-Nāãirah, Vol. 11, p. 71 & Wasā’ilal-Shí‘ah, Vol. 8, p. 300)

These hadiths and a more deeper look into it came from the following

http://www.dartabligh.org/praying/Jamaahwiththesunnis.doc

• 4 months later...
  • Basic Members

There are 'Sunni' mosques that openly forbid the way Shia's pray. I have an influence of both Shia and Sunni and through the majority of my experiences, these 'Sunnis' are much more intolerant of others. I dislike even calling intolerant people Sunnis because if any one were to follow the Sunnah of the Holy Prophet (peace be upon him), then there would be absolutely no intolerance of any person aslong as they were respectful and decent themselves.

• 1 year later...
  • Advanced Member

I use to be a sunni and some years back my aunt who is shia came with me to the mesjid for salahtul Eid she brought her turbah and some lady started to argue with my aunt saying how could you pray with this it was kind of funny in a way because the lady was wearing a thin hijab where you can see everything and short sleeves for salah so she responded how can you pray the way you dress? and the lady got silent. the community here is very intolerant of shias there were many other instances where they reacted negatively. Alhamdolillah Allah made this whole world a place for worship and Salah so pray where you can. :)

• 1 month later...
  • Advanced Member

Hi everyone and salam,

I have been really impressed by some of the Shia scholars in the last couple of years and I have been done some research on historical issues and current trends within the Shia communities.

So next question , how do you become a shia?

• Advanced Member

I came to this forum from a google search, as I was trying to find Shia mosques in Melbourne (I've since found where they are). I've been practicing Islam as Sunnis do ever since I converted in 2010, but I didn't convert to Sunni Islam, just Islam. I knew of some of the differences, the first Muslim friend I ever had was Shiite (he has since passed away), but not enough. I decided that I'd let myself be guided to what is right.

Of course, it is so much easier to find Sunni Muslims, which is what happened. They've taught me tonnes, but I've always had a curiosity for Shia Islam. I've always had a huge respect for Shia imams, as I know they are very highly educated and worthy of respect. That is one thing that has been pulling me towards Shia Islam. (There are other things too, but I want to keep this short-ish.) I've come to the realisation that I feel much more strongly towards Shia Islam than I do Sunni Islam, and I guess I always have. There is so much that I can relate to and that I utterly agree with.

So yes, I made the decision the other day that I'm changing to practice Islam as a Shiite Muslim :)

• Advanced Member

My situation is kind of similar to yaqub's as well except I have been a practising Muslim all my life.

But I have always had a certAin fascination with the Shia islam...

Shia mosques are generally more beautiful than Sunni mosques (Turkey is an exception). I know it doesn't have much to do with religion, but it's just very beautiful :)