Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله
Sign in to follow this  
Anti-Wahhabi

Iran: Mentally Ill Girl to be Exectuted

Rate this topic

Iran: Girl With Mental Age of Eight Given Death Sentence After Mother Forced Her Into Prostitution From Early Age

A 19-year old girl, “Leyla M”, who has a mental age of eight, reportedly faces imminent execution for “morality-related” offences after being forced into prostitution by her mother as a child. According to a Tehran newspaper report of 28 November, she was sentenced to death by a court in the central Iranian city of Arak and the sentence has now been passed to the Supreme Court for confirmation.

Leyla M was reportedly sentenced to death on charges of “acts contrary to chastity” by controlling a brothel, having intercourse with blood relatives and giving birth to an illegitimate child. She is to be flogged before she is executed. She had apparently “confessed” to the charges. Earlier reports stated that there would be an appeal, and the 28 November report indicates that this process is now at an end.

Social workers have reportedly tested her mental capacities repeatedly and each time have found Leyla to have a mental age of eight. However, she has apparently never been examined by the court-appointed doctors, and was sentenced to death solely on the basis of her explicit confessions, without consideration of her background or mental health.

Leyla was forced into prostitution by her mother when she was eight years old, according to the 28 November report, and was raped repeatedly thereafter. She gave birth to her first child when she was nine, and was sentenced to 100 lashes for prostitution at around the same time. At the age of 12, her family sold her to an Afghan man to become his “temporary wife”. His mother became her new pimp, “selling her body without her consent”.

At the age of 14 she became pregnant again, and received a further 100 lashes, after which she was moved to a maternity ward to give birth to twins. After this “temporary marriage”, her family sold her again, to a 55-year-old man, married with two children, who had Leyla’s customers come to his house.

The newspaper report makes no mention of her family or the men to whom she was married. In Iranian law, in a case of “intercourse with a blood relative” both parties are considered culpable, but only Leyla M has been referred to in the reports of which Amnesty International is aware.

Amnesty International members in the UK are writing urgently to the Iranian authorities, calling for the execution to be halted immediately. Amnesty International UK’s Stop Violence Against Women Campaign Manager Jennifer Campbell said:

“Leyla’s story is a litany of violence and abuse. Sold into prostitution at the age of eight, she has experienced horrific sexual violence throughout her short life. Now she faces flogging and execution.

“We must stop this. Amnesty members are campaigning to save Leyla from execution, writing to the Iranian authorities to let them know that we will not stand by mutely and let this happen. We urge other people to join us and take action straight away.

“Three child offenders have been executed in Iran already this year. We must act now to stop there being a fourth.”

Take Action Now

For details of how to help stop the execution of “Leyla M”, please go to: www.amnesty.org.uk/action/irandp.shtml

Background Information

Iranian law recognises two types of marriage - “permanent” and “temporary” (for any defined period from 24 hours to 99 years). A man can have up to four “permanent” wives and numerous temporary ones.

As a party to the International Convention on Civil and Political Rights, Iran has undertaken not to execute anyone for an offence committed when they were under 18 years old. The Iranian authorities are now considering legislation (the draft law on the Establishment of Children’s Courts) that would prohibit the use of the death penalty for offences committed under the age of 18. Article 41 of this law requires the authorities to have child offenders examined by psychiatrists and social workers.

Iran has executed at least three child offenders in 2004. In addition to this, on 12 November 2004, a 14-year-old boy died after receiving 85 lashes for eating in public during the Muslim holy month of Ramadan. According to unconfirmed reports, the metal cable used to flog him struck the back of his head, causing a brain haemorrhage.

One in three women suffer serious violence in their lifetime, at home, in the community or in war, just because they are women. Amnesty International is running a global campaign to 'Stop Violence Against Women'. The human rights organisation is calling on governments to repeal laws that permit and encourage violence against women, and on communities to challenge attitudes that allow violence to continue. For more information visit: www.amnesty.org.uk/svaw.

http://www.amnesty.org.uk/news/press/15803.shtml

Comments on this? I think this is quite sickening.

How can she be sentenced to death for something she had no control over? What about the true guilty people? Those responsible for using this poor girl to make money while making her life hell on earth! Her mother, the Afghan man and the 55 year husband. :angry:

Iran has executed at least three child offenders in 2004. In addition to this, on 12 November 2004, a 14-year-old boy died after receiving 85 lashes for eating in public during the Muslim holy month of Ramadan.

Now this is funny! Its against the law to eat and drink in public during Ramadhan, but if someone does, he will not get punished. Basically nothing will happen. This shows how strong your source is.

Edited by Majnoon Welayat

(bismillah)

(salam)

Do you know what kind of Republic Iran is??? Anyone???? I'll tell you!!!

It's the ISLAMIC REPUBLIC OF IRAN!!!

Does anyone know what Islamic means??? Anyone????? I'll tell you!!!!

It means we follow the commands of Allah (SWT) sent down to us through the HOLY PROPHET (pbuh) AND prescribed to us in the HOLY QURAAN.

Now by logical deduction do you think that anything suggested in the article(s) above could possibly be true???

I suggest we find out the facts before posting degrading articles such as this one brothers and sisters!! Either you haven't been given all the facts or it's just another ploy of lies and propaganda to blacken Iran's good name.

(salam)

These Media people play you guys around like pets!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

This is from Amnesty International, not some news organization. If you haven't noticed, they are a respected human rights groups dedicated to bringing awareness to human rights violations worldwide.

It's ironic how most people here use them to report on human rights violations on Shi'as in countries like Saudi Arabia and Kuwait, but when it comes to their own country being criticized for crimes like this, they get all defensive.

Get over it, Iran is nowhere near perfect, and it is not a sin to criticize them.

Edited by Anti-Wahhabi

This is from Amnesty International, not some news organization. If you haven't noticed, they are a respected human rights groups dedicated to bringing awareness to human rights violations worldwide.

It's ironic how most people here use them to report on human rights violations on Shi'as in countries like Saudi Arabia and Kuwait, but when it comes to their own country being criticized for crimes like this, they get all defensive.

Get over it, Iran is nowhere near perfect, and it is not a sin to criticize them.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

(salam)

You make valuable points my friend. Im happy we have wise people around here. :D Allow me to add you to my buddy list. :)

but when it comes to their own country being criticized for crimes like this, they get all defensive.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

that in and of its self is garbage, i get defencive of any/every shia country. just because i am not a citizen of the country doesnt mean i shouldnt stand up for my fellow muslims.

stop spreading this trash.

can we get the thread closed?

that in and of its self is garbage, i get defencive of any/every shia country. just because i am not a citizen of the country doesnt mean i shouldnt stand up for my fellow muslims.

stop spreading this trash.

can we get the thread closed?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Close it because it is speaking the truth?

Why are you shutting your eyes to the problems that are plaguing Iran? How can you expect to fix the problems when you deny they even exist???

That's a Salafi mentality, I don't expect that to be prevalent amongst Shi'as.

Close it because it is speaking the truth?

Why are you shutting your eyes to the problems that are plaguing Iran? How can you expect to fix the problems when you deny they even exist???

That's a Salafi mentality, I don't expect that to be prevalent amongst Shi'as.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

(salam)

Brother Ahsant!

Guest DjibrilCisse

No, it is not a sin to critisicze Iran. However, one should take care before drawing conclusions.

The reason I take foreign accusations on Iran with a pinch of salt is because most of the time it turns out to be false. When something is nearly always false (and when it isn't false, its probably because it hasn't yet been proved wrong), you should take care of the credibility.

(salam)

Sometimes you have to balance things properly. For instance, you shouldnt believe everything you read/hear, but you should also consider believing them. ;)

All sources of this that I've seen has been from weak, non-reliable and unprofessional news sources.

Furthermore, as an Iranian myself if such a thing happened it would have been made a big issue in iran but it didn't. We didn't even hear of it!

All sources of this that I've seen has been from weak, non-reliable  and unprofessional news sources.

Furthermore, as an Iranian myself if such a thing happened it would have been made a big issue in iran but it didn't. We didn't even hear of it!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

C'mon Iran does not have a very good record of freedom of information.

But anyway anything negative about Iran is false we all know that. Everything is a CIA, Mossad and Freemason plot. I can't understand how such a kind freedom loving nation has so many enemies? It must be satan. :wacko:

Peace

Satyaban

Guest DjibrilCisse

^its not about CIA Mossad or Freemasons. It's just that so much news is proved to be false that one really has to take care. Also, if it isn't entirely false, it is often exaggerated or it has wrong facts.

Note that Western countries have been known to rely on opposition groups, such as the MKO, for information. This alone questions the credibility of the news, considering that the MKO despise the regime even more than anyone else.

An MKO spokesman is actually hired by Fox News. Surely people must realise that to hire the MKO for news on Iran is like hiring the Al Qaeda for news about the US.

^its not about CIA Mossad or Freemasons. It's just that so much news is proved to be false that one really has to take care. Also, if it isn't entirely false, it is often exaggerated or it has wrong facts.

Note that Western countries have been known to rely on opposition groups, such as the MKO, for information. This alone questions the credibility of the news, considering that the MKO despise the regime even more than anyone else.

An MKO spokesman is actually hired by Fox News. Surely people must realise that to hire the MKO for news on Iran is like hiring the Al Qaeda for news about the US.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

OK but whoever tells of events negative to Iran's image immediately become an opposition group and not to be believed.

Peace

Satyaban

Assalamalikum,

Leyla M was reportedly sentenced to death on charges of “acts contrary to chastity” by controlling a brothel, having intercourse with blood relatives and giving birth to an illegitimate child. She is to be flogged before she is executed.

If she was controlling a brothel I seriously doubt she has even below average mental capacities. It's easy to flunk an intelligence test if it will save your ars.

Salams

Can you ban this idiot,

DEATH TO THE IRANIAN GOVERNMENT!...what sort of Islam is this?!?!?!?!..... dry.gif

May Allah's curse be on the enemies of Islamic rebublic of Iran, of the system of Wilayat al- Fakih, currently being implemented by Ayatollah Uzma Imam Syed Ali Khamenei (HA).

Salams

me

Edited by thewave

C'mon Iran does not have a very good record of freedom of information.

But anyway anything negative about Iran is false we all know that. Everything is a CIA, Mossad and Freemason plot. I can't understand how such a kind freedom loving nation has so many enemies? It must be satan. :wacko:

Peace

Satyaban

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

No, its just that its not even discussed in the general public, plus some newspapers in Iran would report such a thing as they did with other similar things.

Its just that I only hear these things from unknown websites online, i have not come across any credible news source.

Furthermore, we'd already have had opposition groups within Iran denouncing this! But it didn't happen!

Edited by Hezbullahi

Salams

Can you ban this idiot,

May Allah's curse be on the enemies of Islamic rebublic of Iran, of the system of Wilayat al- Fakih, currently being implemented by Ayatollah Uzma Imam Syed Ali Khamenei (HA).

Salams

me

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

"Death to Iran" "Iran should be wiped from the face of the Earth" Surely you can't object to these statements. :wacko:

Peace

Satyaban

OK but whoever tells of events negative to Iran's image immediately become an opposition group and not to be believed.

Peace

Satyaban

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

and whoever tells of events negative to Iran's image immediately becomes a very very reliable source in ur eyes...so u see some similarties...

and whoever tells of events negative to Iran's image immediately becomes a very very reliable source in ur eyes...so u see some similarties...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I do not accept them to all be reliable. I do have great respect for AI and the UN Commission for Human Rights.

Peace

Satyaban

I do not accept them to all be reliable. I do have great respect for AI and the UN Commission for Human Rights.

Peace

Satyaban

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

oh ok can u tell me what is the basis of your "respect" for these organisations ?? given that they are dominated by West ?

Salam Alikum,

ahhh...One more damn excuse to indict Iran..I just can't think of anything than laugh on the damn people who believe in media, as media is there god..Has media ever published that 20 conditions must be met before a hand/finger is to be amputated?the answer is NOO..Has the media ever published that you need 3 just witnessess in order to accuse someone of adultery? Oh by the way i mean that 3 just witnessess has to see the intercourse(the front one)???

Damn...Media is a pure jokes..Don't know what thy are talking about...lolzz...

Ws,

Vengeance110

oh ok can u tell me what is the basis of your "respect" for these organisations ?? given that they are dominated by West ?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You talk as if dominated by the West is an inherent curse. More to the point is that these organizations would not get off the ground anywhere else.

If you are implying that the West has a greater respect for human rights well that is a plus.

Peace

Satyaban

bro vengence... you state their claims have no substance.

Where is your substance to disprove what they've stated? Or to disprove the media. Or to disprove the allegations...

Edited by torrent

Guest DjibrilCisse

That's not true. The fact is, as I patiently explained to you before, that the Western media is known to rely on opposition groups, such as the MKO, as well as to hire their spokesmen (despite the fact that America lists the MKO as a terrorist organisation).

Like I said, the credibility of the MKO on Iran is like the credibility of the Al Qaeda on America.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Two points to note, the girl is REPORTEDLY facing execution, according to the article. The fact is, if you contact Amnesty, this is from a second hand source and the organisation cannot itslef confirm if it is true for sure.

I think you overestimate the imaprtiality of these organisations, and if you care to do your research you will realise Amnesty International has been wrong on many occassions. It's alerts are often base on second hand information and are circulated pre-emptivley. Find out where this information was sourced from and you will see why it cannot, by any acedemic standard, be regarded us a trustworhty.

Added to the an analysis if the Iranian penal code will show you that this ruling cannot infact be true, because the status of mentally handicapped individuals is different under the law.

It would benefit some individuals to do their research before cutting and pasting, or before making ill evidenced comments. At present you are just mouth pieces for a propoganda machine.

P.S Satyaban, seeing as you hold Amnesty International in such high regard, lets see what they have to say about India? I recall you arguing vehemently that India is non discriminatory towards muslims etc etc.

REPUBLIC OF INDIA

Head of state: A.P.J. Abdul Kalam

Head of government: Atal Bihari Vajpayee

Death penalty: retentionist

International Criminal Court: not signed

The right of minorities to live in the country as equals was increasingly undermined by both state and non-state actors, despite it being clearly asserted in the Constitution. Religious minorities, particularly Muslims, were increasingly targeted for abuse. In Gujarat, Muslims were victims of massacres allegedly masterminded by nationalist groups with the connivance of state agencies. New and stringent security legislation, which gives wide powers of arrest and detention to the police, was misused to target political dissent in areas of armed conflict and elsewhere. Human rights defenders were frequently harassed by state and private actors, and their activities labelled as “anti-national”. The criminal justice system remained extremely slow, under-resourced and difficult to access for people from socially and economically marginalized sections of society, including lower castes and women. Security agencies continued to enjoy virtual impunity for past abuses, thanks to specific provisions contained in security legislation and to political protection. International human rights monitors, including UN independent experts and international human rights organizations, were de facto denied access to areas of armed conflict and were granted only very limited access to the rest of the country.

Background

Further information

India: Evaluation of the South Asia Human Rights Defenders Project

(AI Index: ASA 04/002/2002)

India: The state must ensure redress for the victims. A memorandum to the Government of Gujarat on its duties in the aftermath of the violence

(AI Index: ASA 20/005/2002)

India: Open letter to Chief Minister Mufti Mohammad Sayeed

(AI Index: ASA 20/020/2002)

India: Open letter to Law Minister Jana Krishnamurthi about the forthcoming trial of Abdul Rehman Geelani and three others

(AI Index: ASA 20/011/2002) All AI documents on India

The Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP)-led National Democratic Alliance remained in power in the central government throughout the year. State elections in February saw a further weakening of the BJP and a re-emergence of the Congress party at state level. In December, however, the BJP won state elections in Gujarat on a communal platform. The victory strengthened the position of Hindu hardliners within the party nationwide. In Jammu and Kashmir, a coalition government of the People’s Democratic Party and the Congress party took office in November; the election ended decades of domination of state politics by the National Conference party.

Ongoing tensions between India and Pakistan – both nuclear powers – were heightened by renewed claims by the Indian government that armed opposition groups active in Kashmir were enjoying Pakistan’s support. This claim received international legitimization in the context of the campaign against “terrorism” led by the USA and supported by the Indian government. The result was a military stand-off on the India-Pakistan border, which started de-escalating only in October.

Hindu nationalist groups continued to push their communal agenda – particularly the issue of the reconstruction of a Hindu temple in Ayodhya at the site where a mosque was destroyed in 1992 – through violence and the penetration of institutions, leading to an increasing fragmentation of society on religious lines. The peace process between the central government and Naga armed groups in the northeast of the country made further progress. Talks between the Andhra Pradesh government and naxalite (armed left-wing) groups failed to materialize in July.

In the context of the liberalization of the economy, economic development projects continued to infringe the right of local communities to have access to natural resources and led to large-scale internal displacement.

Massacres in Gujarat

On 27 February a train in Godhra, Gujarat, was attacked and 59 passengers believed to be Hindus were killed. Violence of unprecedented brutality targeting the Muslim community then spread in the state and continued in the following three months. Hindu nationalist groups reportedly had a role in masterminding the violence. Reports also indicated that the state government, administration and police took insufficient action to protect civilians and in many cases may have colluded with the attackers and actively participated in the violence. Human rights groups estimated the death toll was between 2,000 and 2,500. The destruction of homes, places of worship and means of livelihood of thousands of civilians also took place. About 140,000 people fled their homes in the aftermath of the massacres and many remained homeless at the end of the year. The Gujarat government did not actively fulfil its duty to provide appropriate relief and rehabilitation to the survivors. Following the violence, the same police force that was accused of colluding with the attackers was put in charge of the investigations into the massacres, undermining the process of delivery of justice to the victims. A commission of inquiry was appointed to investigate responsibilities in the violence, but its progress was extremely slow. When AI sought permission to visit Gujarat in July to investigate the violence, its delegates were effectively denied access to the state.

Security legislation

The Prevention of Terrorism Act (POTA), operative as an ordinance since October 2001, was passed by parliament in March. It gave the police wide powers of arrest and provided for up to six months’ detention without charge or trial for political suspects. POTA de facto legislates for a level of political scrutiny in the judicial process, and undermines the rules of evidence set by Indian statutory law. It was used during the year to detain political opponents, especially in the state of Jammu and Kashmir, and was implemented in other states, including Andhra Pradesh, Bihar, Jarkhand, Tamil Nadu, Uttar Pradesh, and in the New Delhi Union Territory. New security legislation similar to POTA was enacted at state level in Andhra Pradesh, Arunachal Pradesh, Karnataka and in the New Delhi Union Territory. The lapsed Terrorist and Disruptive Activities Act continued to be used to arrest people in Jammu and Kashmir by linking them to cases filed before 1995; hundreds of people were believed to be in detention under the Act. Preventive arrest and detention provisions contained in security laws as well as in the Code of Criminal Procedure were also misused against political and human rights activists.

Impunity

Security forces continued to enjoy virtual impunity for human rights abuses as a result of provisions contained in special security laws, including POTA, as well as in the Protection of Human Rights Act. Political protection, as well as the frequent non-implementation of recommendations issued by various commissions of inquiry, strengthened this trend. In Punjab, investigations entrusted to the National Human Rights Commission (NHRC) in relation to the “disappearance” and possible extrajudicial execution by security forces of thousands of people in the 1980s and early 1990s did not make any significant progress. This indicated that accountability for security forces in areas of armed conflict was not a priority.

Ten years after widespread communal riots in Bombay claimed 1,788 lives and five years after the Shrikrishna Commission of Inquiry indicted several police officers for having actively sided with violent Hindu groups during the riots, no significant progress had been made to prosecute the alleged perpetrators.

The new government in Jammu and Kashmir, in its Common Minimum Program issued in October, promised that all reports of human rights abuses would be investigated. AI reminded the state government of the large number of past abuses that had never been independently investigated and asked it to make public and act on findings of commissions of inquiry set up under the previous government, such as the Pandian Commission on unlawful killings in April 2000.

Both the UN Special Rapporteur on the independence of judges and lawyers and the UN Special Rapporteur on extrajudicial, summary or arbitrary executions had pending requests to visit India. Neither had been invited to visit the country by the end of the year.

Discrimination

Socially and economically marginalized sections of society, such as dalits, adivasis (tribal people), women and religious minorities, including Muslims, continued to be discriminated against by the police, the criminal justice system and non-state actors, despite legislation aimed at protecting some of these groups. They continued to be particularly vulnerable to torture and ill-treatment, which remained widespread across the country. The ongoing international campaign against “terrorism”, as well as the heightened tensions with Pakistan, contributed to the giving of undue legitimacy to various forms of discrimination against the Muslim minority, including violence and the denial of access to justice.

A pattern persisted of excessive use of force by police against adivasi communities protesting against their displacement in the context of the construction of large dams or of industrial projects. Dalit human rights continued to receive international attention, particularly from the UN Committee on the Elimination of Racial Discrimination, which held a thematic discussion on descent-based discrimination in August. However, dalit communities continued to be victims of violent backlash when asserting their rights, and to have problems accessing the criminal justice system when seeking redress for abuses.

Human rights defenders

Human rights defenders suffered increased isolation as their activities were frequently branded as “anti-national” by state and non-state actors. This happened in particular when they sought to raise human rights concerns in debates about the security of the country. Harassment of human rights activists by both state and private actors continued throughout the year, with many cases of undue interference with their legitimate activities, verbal and physical threats, filing of false cases by police in order to intimidate or detain them, use of preventive arrest and detention, and violence, including isolated killings.

* On 19 June Navleen Kumar, a social activist working to protect the land rights of tribal communities, was stabbed to death in her home in Nallasopara, Thane district, Maharashtra. Police arrested four people believed to have links with the local builders and land mafia that were operating in the area with the support of sections of the local administration. The prosecution of the accused appeared to have come to a standstill after the four were released on bail.

Both the UN Special Representative on human rights defenders and the UN Special Rapporteur on the promotion and protection of the right to freedom of opinion and expression had pending requests to visit India. Neither had received an invitation by the end of the year.

Abuses by armed opposition groups

Armed opposition groups in Jammu and Kashmir and in the states of the northeast continued to target civilians, subjecting them to torture and deliberate killings. In the pre-election period in Jammu and Kashmir, such groups intensified their operations resulting in scores of killings, including of the state law minister and several election candidates. A total of 830 killings by state agents and opposition groups was recorded between early August and mid-October when the elections were completed. Civilians were also victims of human rights abuses by armed naxalite groups in areas of Andhra Pradesh, Bihar, Madhya Pradesh, Orissa and West Bengal.

Human rights commissions

The NHRC took an independent position in the aftermath of the violence in Gujarat, recommending that the state government take proactive steps to protect the minorities in the state, to ensure that justice was delivered and that relief and rehabilitation were provided to the victims of the violence and their families. However, the NHRC’s recommendations were largely ignored by the Gujarat government. Amendments to the Protection of Human Rights Act 1993 – under which the NHRC operates – recommended in 2000 by the NHRC itself, were not considered by the government during the year. As a result, the NHRC was unable to investigate allegations of human rights violations committed by the army or paramilitary forces, or incidents that took place more than a year before the complaint was made. Its recommendations continued not to be binding and were poorly implemented by the governments to which they were addressed. State human rights commissions, existing in 13 of the 28 states, continued to suffer from lack of resources and expertise.

Death penalty

At least 29 people were sentenced to death. The exact numbers of death sentences passed and executions carried out were not known as the government does not release the relevant information. In November the parliament and the central government stated that they favoured the extension of the death penalty to crimes of rape. The majority of women’s groups, however, affirmed that a higher conviction rate of rapists, rather than the use of the death penalty, was needed. The enactment of POTA in March extended the use of the death penalty to “terrorist” offences resulting in death. Concerns about the use of the death penalty under POTA were heightened because the Act provides for the possibility of unfair trials and because the necessity of fighting “terrorism” was occasionally taken as a sufficient justification for imposing the death penalty in the absence of solid evidence.

* In December 2001 Davinder Pal Singh Bhuller appealed to the Supreme Court against the death sentence he received for “terrorist” offences allegedly committed by him in 1993. The appeal was rejected by two of the three judges, who found Davinder Pal Singh Bhuller guilty on the basis of a confession. The confession, which Davinder Pal Singh Bhuller said was extracted by police under torture, was later retracted and was not corroborated by any other evidence. Unusually, the third judge found the accused innocent. A petition questioning the controversial appeal decision was upheld by a three-judge bench of the Supreme Court in mid-December.

Visits

AI delegates visited India in April and met government and other officials as well as human rights groups. Access to the country for a research visit to Gujarat in the aftermath of the massacres was de facto denied by the government in July.

That's not true. The fact is, as I patiently explained to you before, that the Western media is known to rely on opposition groups, such as the MKO, as well as to hire their spokesmen (despite the fact that America lists the MKO as a terrorist organisation).

Like I said, the credibility of the MKO on Iran is like the credibility of the Al Qaeda on America.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Taqiyya? Did we all imagine Ahmadinejad's threats against Israel?