Jump to content
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله
Sign in to follow this  
TIM_WESTWOOD

Your Own Captured Photos

Rate this topic

Recommended Posts

24 minutes ago, realizm said:

:salam:

So you finally went there? 

Ws

I did! I have been planning a trip to the Balkans ever since I missed the chance last time. Couldn't wait any longer :D 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Was out and about in Kowloon doing a spot of street photography last night and this morning. Managed to capture something I'd read about but not seenIMG_1787.thumb.jpg.e96dbcbd19ad118af4704f8a0e53d4c7.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

They are from mainland China and they are outside a pharmacy. The blue box the lady has is baby milk formula. She has just bought a large number of these and is now putting them in the case.

At Hongkong airport, I've seen signs telling people about the limits on exporting baby formula. 

Overall, it's because it's hard to get on the mainland. After customs etc. just before boarding there's a pharmacy selling formula for about three times the going price in the UK.

HK-BabyFormula620.jpg

Edited by Haji 2003

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/29/2018 at 5:52 PM, Haji 2003 said:

They are from mainland China and they are outside a pharmacy. The blue box the lady has is baby milk formula. She has just bought a large number of these and is now putting them in the case.

At Hongkong airport, I've seen signs telling people about the limits on exporting baby formula. 

Overall, it's because it's hard to get on the mainland. After customs etc. just before boarding there's a pharmacy selling formula for about three times the going price in the UK.

The shortage of baby formula:  How is the current situation tied to the poisoning scandal a few years ago?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, hasanhh said:

The shortage of baby formula:  How is the current situation tied to the poisoning scandal a few years ago?

I think the poisoning scandal (melamine in the milk) was the result of the shortage, someone tried to make an alternative on the cheap. Will have to google to find out why the shortage in the first place.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/29/2018 at 12:26 PM, realizm said:

So how was that ? 

Absolutely amazing. I ditched Serbia to go to Bosnia and then by road to Montenegro and Albania. Learned a lot, especially about Bosnian history and the recent war. Although the stereotypes abound, Albanians are very warm people and genuinely happy to help visitors. I was surprised to know that Pakistanis are still treated like an exotic breed there and I was given special welcome by everyone who got to find out about me. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Marbles said:

Absolutely amazing. I ditched Serbia to go to Bosnia and then by road to Montenegro and Albania. Learned a lot, especially about Bosnian history and the recent war. Although the stereotypes abound, Albanians are very warm people and genuinely happy to help visitors. I was surprised to know that Pakistanis are still treated like an exotic breed there and I was given special welcome by everyone who got to find out about me. 

:salam:

You did well ditching Serbia, for they would have seen you as even more exotic... For pale complexion people though, it is a very warm and beautiful country.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2018-03-30 at 2:21 PM, realizm said:

:salam:

You did well ditching Serbia, for they would have seen you as even more exotic... For pale complexion people though, it is a very warm and beautiful country.

Why be racist?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, realizm said:

:salam:

How is using the words "pale complexion" being racist ? 

How is it not? Why would you generalize pale complexion people?  What does that have to do with anything?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/7/2018 at 10:17 AM, forte said:

For pale complexion people though, it is a very warm and beautiful country.

It is akin to saying "For darker skinned people though, it is a very safe and crime free country."  

On 4/8/2018 at 9:36 AM, realizm said:

:salam:

How is using the words "pale complexion" being racist ? 

A negative generalization about a race is racism. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/8/2018 at 1:54 PM, King said:

How is it not? Why would you generalize pale complexion people?  What does that have to do with anything?

 

 

On 4/8/2018 at 1:58 PM, forte said:

It is akin to saying "For darker skinned people though, it is a very safe and crime free country."  

A negative generalization about a race is racism. 

Either there is something beyond my level of English which is usually good enough, either you guys completely misunderstood my point.

What I mean is that Serbia is a country where you feel good and welcome, except if you are dark skinned, because that is not usual there and thus you may often feel as an attraction.

Nothing to do with crime rate or safety, I wonder why you even brought that up. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, realizm said:

 

 

Either there is something beyond my level of English which is usually good enough, either you guys completely misunderstood my point.

What I mean is that Serbia is a country where you feel good and welcome, except if you are dark skinned, because that is not usual there and thus you may often feel as an attraction.

Nothing to do with crime rate or safety, I wonder why you even brought that up. 

You make an unnecessary negative stereotype of a race.  I tried to show you how it was negative (racist) by giving a different racial stereotype.  Hence the dark skinned people being associated with crime etc.  It was an example of a negative racial stereotype to help you understand.  You actually just repeated in this post the same stereotypical assumption that if you are dark, the pale people will not warm and welcome you because they are pale which is an assumption and negative stereotype.  Negative stereotypes based on race are racist.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, realizm said:

Either there is something beyond my level of English which is usually good enough, either you guys completely misunderstood my point.

What I mean is that Serbia is a country where you feel good and welcome, except if you are dark skinned, because that is not usual there and thus you may often feel as an attraction.

Nothing to do with crime rate or safety, I wonder why you even brought that up. 

You could have just said Serbians generally are not known to be welcoming to darker skinned people.  In your post you make a general statement about 'pale' complexioned people.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, forte said:

You make an unnecessary negative stereotype of a race.  I tried to show you how it was negative (racist) by giving a different racial stereotype.  Hence the dark skinned people being associated with crime etc.  It was an example of a negative racial stereotype to help you understand.  You actually just repeated in this post the same stereotypical assumption that if you are dark, the pale people will not warm and welcome you because they are pale which is an assumption and negative stereotype.  Negative stereotypes based on race are racist.

Well before you go on trying to prove me as a stereotypical and average racist guy, let me give you this very concrete exemple based on personal experience. 

We went on a group trip for a friends' wedding. This group included me, my wife and kid - all shia muslims but looking white (racist?). We went all country, even crossed borders dealing with the military, without getting too much attention. On the other side, our group included three of my friends (respectively African, West Indies, Asian), and all were taken selfies with during the night of the wedding by fellow guests. 

Bottom line, there are some countries I would not recommend a black friend to visit, even though they may be great countries. Just like I implied in my initial post to Marbles.

I do not call that generalising or being stereotypical, I just call that common sense versus politically overcorrectness.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, realizm said:

Well before you go on trying to prove me as a stereotypical and average racist guy, let me give you this very concrete exemple based on personal experience. 

We went on a group trip for a friends' wedding. This group included me, my wife and kid - all shia muslims but looking white (racist?). We went all country, even crossed borders dealing with the military, without getting too much attention. On the other side, our group included three of my friends (respectively African, West Indies, Asian), and all were taken selfies with during the night of the wedding by fellow guests. 

Bottom line, there are some countries I would not recommend a black friend to visit, even though they may be great countries. Just like I implied in my initial post to Marbles.

I do not call that generalising or being stereotypical, I just call that common sense versus politically overcorrectness.

I was not trying to call you racist as I said the commentary was stereotypical.  You referred to race not culture.  I was trying to help you understand. There are definitely countries that you should be careful in travelling.  It is usually based in politics though or the color of your passport not the color of your skin.

Edited by forte

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, King said:

You could have just said Serbians generally are not known to be welcoming to darker skinned people.  In your post you make a general statement about 'pale' complexioned people.

Is it me or you seem to allow generalising all Serbians as long as we do not mention skin colour ? :confused:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, forte said:

I was not trying to call you racist as I said the commentary was stereotypical.  You referred to race not culture.  I was trying to help you understand. There are definitely countries that you should be careful in travelling.  It is usually based in politics though or the color of your passport not the color of your skin.

 I have no idea what you base your theory on but if that makes you happy, I will leave you the benefit of the doubt and ask my Senegalese friend if he felt that was about culture. Maybe it was not clear he eats with a fork and knife indeed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, realizm said:

Is it me or you seem to allow generalising all Serbians as long as we do not mention skin colour ? :confused:

I used the word explicitly to say that you would have been better off to at least qualify your generalization instead of grouping everyone with a certain skin colour of which there are 100s of millions the world over.  "For pale complexion people though, it is a very warm and beautiful country.".  This statement basically says that Pale complexion people are not warm and welcoming except in this rare case.

I did not call you a racist, but your statement was clearly racist, implied or not, you should accept that instead of trying to deflect the blame or play semantics.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, King said:

I used the word explicitly to say that you would have been better off to at least qualify your generalization instead of grouping everyone with a certain skin colour of which there are 100s of millions the world over.  "For pale complexion people though, it is a very warm and beautiful country.".  This statement basically says that Pale complexion people are not warm and welcoming except in this rare case.

I did not call you a racist, but your statement was clearly racist, implied or not, you should accept that instead of trying to deflect the blame or play semantics.

Brother, we are taking about Serbia. Serbians are white. They are generally amazed at non white people, which may lead to awkward situations as I explained, and I did only mention the lightest ones.

I would easily imagine that a coloured person would feel more harrassed than welcome during a two week trip there, hence my generalisation. 

As I said, politically overcorrectness.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎4‎/‎9‎/‎2018 at 9:28 AM, ali_fatheroforphans said:

Veggie Pizza 

Webp.net-compress-image (3).jpg

Looks more like one of them there appitizers rather than a meal, no bigger than it iz.

And it's all curled up from over-cooking.

And the olives are shriveled.

Gosh man, you have my sympatheticy.

[sympathy + pathetic = sympatheticy]

Edited by hasanhh

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Marbles said:

Disaster...

It would be if my wife made it, if it was me, then it would have its plus points and acquired tastes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, Haji 2003 said:

It would be if my wife made it, if it was me, then it would have its plus points and acquired tastes.

No, it's just hard to come to terms with the idea of slapping various things on a naan. I wonder if someone had had too much to drink the day they concocted this haphazardly, to fill up their belly, and later the idea caught on. Like breakfast cereals, which wasn't meant to be a food for refined and well-off people. Now with some desis it's a status symbol in breakfast.

Just saying...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Quote

WASHINGTON (April 2, 2018)—The 2018 National Geographic Travel Photographer of the Year Contest launches today, inviting photographers of all levels to submit their best shots to the annual competition. The grand-prize winner will be awarded $10,000 (USD), have his or her photo posted on the @NatGeoTravel Instagram account, as well as earn the prestigious title of National Geographic Travel Photographer of the Year. The contest is open now and entries must be submitted by May 31, 2018, at 12 p.m. EST.

Eligible contestants can visit natgeo.com/travelphotocontest to submit their best photos in any or all of the three categories: Nature, People and Cities. The entry fee is $15 (USD) per photo and there is no limit to the number of photos an entrant can submit. During the contest period, National Geographic Travel will periodically highlight editors’ favorite photos in online galleries on natgeotravel.com/travelphotocontest.

http://press.nationalgeographic.com/2018/04/02/national-geographic-launches-2018-travel-photographer-of-the-year-contest/

The bad thing is the $15 entry fee per photo but if you have one super photo, you could win $10K. :) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You are posting as a guest. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...