Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله
Sign in to follow this  
TIM_WESTWOOD

Your Own Captured Photos

Rate this topic

Thank you Servidor. I will ask Haji, he doesn't post pictures though except for a few on some rare occasions. And yes, the one that I saw was top class.

Marbles, those pictures are way better. Pray, tell me how you did it? Is your Sony customizable for manual settings? They're truly sharper than most I saw, even Servidor's :P

@Servidor: You have the same camera as Marbles, why don't you customize it and dish out some crispy night shots for the next post?

Marbles, those pictures are way better. Pray, tell me how you did it? Is your Sony customizable for manual settings? They're truly sharper than most I saw, even Servidor's

Not exactly as customizable as in the SLRs (but then what'd be the difference between the two if even point-to-shoot could be so customized?) but I select the best combo of 'scene selection' and 'mode' to go with what I am shooting. I use two scene selections most - "landscape in twilight" to shoot low-light scene with noise reduction and 'high sensitivity' without flash in low-light to reduce blur.

I will dig into my image database to get more examples. I don't always shoot night time pics with customized settling. Sometimes I am just too lazy too bother and go along with 'auto mode' :squeez:

so that was a classic kodak moment there

Indeed, sir, indeed. I had other Kodak moments too. In fact, all my Iranian pics are precious Kodak moments :wub:

Edited by Marbles

OK here's how I mucked about with settings in low light. This was at sunset.

The problem was this. If I used flash the subject would be lit up, but everything else would be blown away. If I just used a high ISO rating the subject would still be too dark. Opening up the aperture to let in more of the light would mean having the Tower of London (in the background) well out of focus.

So.

1. ISO 4000 (to let in as much light as possible).

2. Aperture at f32 (what you would usually have for bright sunlight), but this gets the Tower in focus as well

3. Shutter speed 1/100

4. Flash point backwards (towards me).

IMG_4557_zps35700699.jpg

Here is my Siberian Cat :D

Here is her playing her favorite game of hide & seek

Here is her, she loves snow a lot.

Here she is making a cute face and begging me to share my food with her :P

This attention seeker loves to fool around..

I know, she sleeps weird

Mind if I bathe myself in the sun?

Siberian cats have amazing personality traits, like this one:

1) Doesnt shed much

2)Her fur is allergy-free usually

3)Acts like a dog, she smells everyone who come to our house, and has to inspect via her lil nose everything new which comes to the house, from people to furniture

4) Run and greets us when we come home

5) Is really, really aggressive

6) Purrs a lot, almost never meows, thank God she is not loud

7)Loves snow and water.

I always wanted a majestic grey-white icy blue eyed Siberian Husky, I think this grey-white Siberian cat of mine is close ;)

If god grants me the life and ability

MY LORD

i am getting a cat. I HAVE to get one.

^ Yes.

Brilliant. The Quran says it word for word, Allah swt promises to preserve pharoh for the later times!

Edited by Haji 2003
Pics removed

Guys, when you quote a post, make sure to remove pictures from it to avoid repetition. It also takes harder to load the page. Think of us third wolders who have to put up with lousy connections. So please just mention the pics verbally.

@Servidor: You have the same camera as Marbles, why don't you customize it and dish out some crispy night shots for the next post?

I shall. But not for the next post. Will have some great day-time pictures to post tomorrow night. Then when I am back in the city I will try to take some better night-time photographs using custom settings. Of what I know not.

OK here's how I mucked about with settings in low light. This was at sunset.

The problem was this. If I used flash the subject would be lit up, but everything else would be blown away. If I just used a high ISO rating the subject would still be too dark. Opening up the aperture to let in more of the light would mean having the Tower of London (in the background) well out of focus.

So.

1. ISO 4000 (to let in as much light as possible).

2. Aperture at f32 (what you would usually have for bright sunlight), but this gets the Tower in focus as well

3. Shutter speed 1/100

4. Flash point backwards (towards me).

Guys, when you quote a post, make sure to remove pictures from it to avoid repetition. It also takes harder to load the page. Think of us third wolders who have to put up with lousy connections. So please just mention the pics verbally.

CHOWWY

Inquisitor, some more night time pics:

View of Bangkok from the hotel room:

DSC02622.jpg

DSC02136.jpg

DSC02619.jpg

Gandhi in Madame Tussaud in Bangkok:

DSC02510.jpg

It was pitch dark. I used flash. That's my uncle jumping and playing around lol:

IMG_1191.jpg

Pakistan - I went to a new restaurant couple of days ago. Took camera with me. Night time results:

037.jpg

038-1.jpg

051-1.jpg

063.jpg

Without flash:

046.jpg

With flash:

047-2.jpg

Edited by Marbles

Haji, that's a nice photo you've taken with low light. Honestly, I don't understand what you've explained with all the ISO and the shutter speed and flash point backwards...I'm absolutely jaahil with all this.

You must have read the previous post about me wanting to purchase a point and shoot camera. Which one do you recommend? And which fancy camera are you using currently?

I haven't really been looking for such a camera so don't know what is out there. But checkout dpreview.com which has some very detailed reviews of all sorts of cameras. Also read user reviews on sites such as amazon. Occasionally you'll come across a camera/model that everyone agrees is really really good. Alternatively you'll find one with weaknesses you can live with.

It'll be worth your while to have some idea of what the technical terms mean if only to be able to compare cameras* and even if you only ever use pre-programmed settings to understand why pics come out the way they do.

For example on the specs if it says that the camera has:

1. A high ISO rating (mine is 6400), that will mean it can take pics in pretty low light (without flash), but they will be grainy

2. Aperture of e.g. 1.2, that means that low light pics are more possible, but you'll have a lot of blurring away from the main subject. Sometimes, portraits, this is actually very useful

3. There'll also be stuff about megapixels and this changes as technology improves (more the better).

OTOH, in my experience, what really matters for a good pic is the ambient light and where you are. So even a relatively cheap camera can pay dividends, if for example, you can keep it with you a lot. In this respect sometimes you can find that there are phones which have very good camera functions and you could even consider these. I used to use a Nokia N73 and that had a really good camera.

The camera I use is on my avatar, it's a Canon 5d MKii. It's a bit of an extravagance not least because it only make sense if you use it with Canon's more expensive lenses, and that also means lugging a few kilos of camera bag wherever you go. But for various lifestyle reasons it makes sense for me.

I haven't really been looking for such a camera so don't know what is out there. But checkout dpreview.com which has some very detailed reviews of all sorts of cameras. Also read user reviews on sites such as amazon. Occasionally you'll come across a camera/model that everyone agrees is really really good. Alternatively you'll find one with weaknesses you can live with.

It'll be worth your while to have some idea of what the technical terms mean if only to be able to compare cameras* and even if you only ever use pre-programmed settings to understand why pics come out the way they do.

For example on the specs if it says that the camera has:

1. A high ISO rating (mine is 6400), that will mean it can take pics in pretty low light (without flash), but they will be grainy

2. Aperture of e.g. 1.2, that means that low light pics are more possible, but you'll have a lot of blurring away from the main subject. Sometimes, portraits, this is actually very useful

3. There'll also be stuff about megapixels and this changes as technology improves (more the better).

OTOH, in my experience, what really matters for a good pic is the ambient light and where you are. So even a relatively cheap camera can pay dividends, if for example, you can keep it with you a lot. In this respect sometimes you can find that there are phones which have very good camera functions and you could even consider these. I used to use a Nokia N73 and that had a really good camera.

The camera I use is on my avatar, it's a Canon 5d MKii. It's a bit of an extravagance not least because it only make sense if you use it with Canon's more expensive lenses, and that also means lugging a few kilos of camera bag wherever you go. But for various lifestyle reasons it makes sense for me.

Thanks Haji bro. That's some advice. I was reading dpreview.com and find it informative. You're right about knowing the technical jargon, it'll only up my chances of making a well informed purchase of a decent enough camera.

I won't end up buying a fancy SLR or a DSLR, just a simple point-and-shoot. Marbles posted that Carl Zeiss lenses are the best out there, what do you think? I've used Sony, Canon and Fujifilm in the past and honestly I can't really distinguish a quality superior to the other. And now a friend suggested Nikon (and they've gotten their own Nikor lenses). So really, is it different or should I just go ahead with any of them?

^^^ Where does this guy get his pictures from?? :P

He doesn't work, only travels :P

Once I demanded to see his work station, he didn't post, which only validates what I said above :P

We work, he plays :( *sob sob*

Marbs, the other bunch of night photos are real good. I loved them all, good stuff mate, let them all flow in...

I won't end up buying a fancy SLR or a DSLR, just a simple point-and-shoot. Marbles posted that Carl Zeiss lenses are the best out there, what do you think? I've used Sony, Canon and Fujifilm in the past and honestly I can't really distinguish a quality superior to the other. And now a friend suggested Nikon (and they've gotten their own Nikor lenses). So really, is it different or should I just go ahead with any of them?

Nikon's lenses have a very good reputation. But I think for a point and shoot there'll be a number of factors other than just lens quality. For example if your intention is to have something that can be pulled out fast to take pics for their immediacy, you'd give preference to something that switches on v. quickly.

Personally I hate cameras that seem to take a pic a second or two after you press the shutter, I often want to capture the moment and need instantaneous picture taking.

So as I said above, technical features are one thing, you also need to have a fairly good idea of what sort of use you want to put the camera to, the types of pictures you like taking and under what conditions and if you will want to print them, how large. Also there'll be questions about whether you want to shoot video with it. And if you want to take hi-res pictures and also video, if you are on a budget you'll need to consider whether you want to spend some of your money on a high memory compact flash or SD card. This applies even more so, if you want to shoot RAW images.

This next bit may be over the top, so ignore it if you wish. Remember that you do have the choice as to whether you shoot in RAW format or JPEG. Look here for an explanation:

http://digital-photography-school.com/should-you-be-shooting-raw

If you opt for RAW, then even in the point and shoot category there are cameras offering this:

http://www.dpreview.com/articles/4333175133/buyers-guide-enthusiast-raw-shooting-compact-cameras

Sorry if this confuses you further, but I am just flagging up the different variables you may want to consider, or even consciously decide to exclude.

RAW is suited if you want to get seriously large hard prints. I don't think that format is of much use to a casual photographer. JPEG format would give fine results in enlarged hard prints even if it's 11x14 or 16x20. Photo albums come in sizes 6x4 and 5x7. Normal picture frame sizes are 8x10 and 10x12.

As for lenses, Nikon's own lenses are definitely high quality but not all brands come with reliably good lenses. In other camera brands (Sony, Kodak etc) I think you should stick to Carl Zeiss. I'm not saying other lenses aren't good but I have not any meaningful experience with lenses other than Carl Zeiss. Not to mention they have very good reviews. You can even check the difference in mobile phone cameras that come with those lenses and others. Nokia N73's 3.2 megapixels would capture as good if not better pictures than Samsung SII's 8 megapixels. I used both for extended periods of time.

Edited by Marbles

Nikon's lenses have a very good reputation. But I think for a point and shoot there'll be a number of factors other than just lens quality. For example if your intention is to have something that can be pulled out fast to take pics for their immediacy, you'd give preference to something that switches on v. quickly.

Personally I hate cameras that seem to take a pic a second or two after you press the shutter, I often want to capture the moment and need instantaneous picture taking.

So as I said above, technical features are one thing, you also need to have a fairly good idea of what sort of use you want to put the camera to, the types of pictures you like taking and under what conditions and if you will want to print them, how large. Also there'll be questions about whether you want to shoot video with it. And if you want to take hi-res pictures and also video, if you are on a budget you'll need to consider whether you want to spend some of your money on a high memory compact flash or SD card. This applies even more so, if you want to shoot RAW images.

This next bit may be over the top, so ignore it if you wish. Remember that you do have the choice as to whether you shoot in RAW format or JPEG. Look here for an explanation:

http://digital-photo...be-shooting-raw

If you opt for RAW, then even in the point and shoot category there are cameras offering this:

http://www.dpreview....compact-cameras

Sorry if this confuses you further, but I am just flagging up the different variables you may want to consider, or even consciously decide to exclude.

Thank you brother Haji for all the explanation and advice. I think I'll just settle for something in the near future in'sha Allah, most probably one from either Canon, Sony or Nikon. I wouldn't be printing any, very few if at all, would like to record some videos etc. But those are good points you raised, I would never think of them otherwise.

Like Marbles pointed out, I won't need RAW images, I am just a happy casual clicker. I'll check out some websites, read up on some materials and hopefully ask you some pertinent concerns in the future, if it's alright with you.

So I got there. Forgot my camera. I will not even describe what I failed to take pictures of. I have arranged a return visit and that time I shall not forget my camera. March.

I shall try my hand at night-time photographs using custom settings tomorrow night. Si Dominvs volverit.

No, you can't do that. And March is a terribly long time for us to wait :(