TIM_WESTWOOD

Your Own Captured Photos

Rate this topic

WASHINGTON (April 2, 2018)—The 2018 National Geographic Travel Photographer of the Year Contest launches today, inviting photographers of all levels to submit their best shots to the annual competition. The grand-prize winner will be awarded $10,000 (USD), have his or her photo posted on the @NatGeoTravel Instagram account, as well as earn the prestigious title of National Geographic Travel Photographer of the Year. The contest is open now and entries must be submitted by May 31, 2018, at 12 p.m. EST.

Eligible contestants can visit natgeo.com/travelphotocontest to submit their best photos in any or all of the three categories: Nature, People and Cities. The entry fee is $15 (USD) per photo and there is no limit to the number of photos an entrant can submit. During the contest period, National Geographic Travel will periodically highlight editors’ favorite photos in online galleries on natgeotravel.com/travelphotocontest.

http://press.nationalgeographic.com/2018/04/02/national-geographic-launches-2018-travel-photographer-of-the-year-contest/

The bad thing is the $15 entry fee per photo but if you have one super photo, you could win $10K. :) 

On 5/13/2018 at 4:28 PM, Hameedeh said:

The bad thing is the $15 entry fee per photo but if you have one super photo, you could win $10K. :) 

The contest is over now. I clicked on the link and it says the winner will be announced on June 28. :party:

There is another photography contest. This one is by The Weather Company. The Grand Prize is $15,000. 

About the Contest

We’re looking for both amateur and professional photographers to share their most spectacular photos of nature, adventure and the elements. Submit your most inspiring work for a chance to win.

Of course there are rules, so at the link below click on ENTER and scroll down to read the rules. You must be 18 years old, the photo is your own and must have been taken after January 1, 2015, etc. InShaAllah you win! Deadline to submit your photo: August 14, 2018 at 11:59 AM ET.

https://weather.com/photos/contest

Bismehe Ta3ala 

Assalam Alikum Brother @Haji 2003

OmG, your daughter's penmanship is very well written.  

Why doesn't she make money on the side, and work for someone to send out invitations and letters?

Salams to you sister Maryam.  I was wondering when are you going to advise us parents Hajj, on some parental tips on helping our children to be studious.   

M3 Salamah, Fe Amin Allah 

1 hour ago, Laayla said:

I was wondering when are you going to advise us parents Hajj, on some parental tips on helping our children to be studious.

In my blog on this site there are some entries starting with the words, "Raising Maryam", they have some suggestions. She's quite cool, but I could see that she was happy reading your comments about her handwriting. Thanks.

And then there was this thread:

Edited by Haji 2003

Westminster Abbey, London. Maryam was attending a maths workshop nearby and we passed by the Abbey when it ended.

1706094991_IMG_0440copy.thumb.jpg.c170cee10171f2c3faf440a824c3bb7b.jpg

Next door is my cousin's old school. I bust a gut getting him a scholarship to go here and (a) my uncle thinks his son got in because he's a genius and (b) my cousin thinks his life was ruined because he went there:

1296552926_IMG_04382.JPG.7d450e9bf8c2c9ef8a274cba951119df.JPG

Abbas's school had a service at the local church, it's a few hundred years old.

1707934485_IMG_0447copy.thumb.jpg.46702788020cb954aebb5023f93651bf.jpg

Edited by Haji 2003

rps20181231_163306_533.thumb.jpg.be438cb5daa72d43d04ec6ee3ba33688.jpg

Taken just outside Baynulharmain, the last few hours of 2018. Spent both the 1st and last day of the year in Karbala, Alhumdollilah. A very harsh, difficult year is ending.May Allah make 2019 easier for all of us.

rps20181231_163820_249.thumb.jpg.17230672e419f34fdd47463df282e684.jpg

Baynulharmain! 

Plans have been approved to cover this outside corridor and make the two shrines into one big one. Not sure if it's a good idea :( Baynulharmain is a truly magical place and I want it to stay as it is. 

Edited by starlight

23 minutes ago, starlight said:

Taken just outside Baynulharmain, the last few hours of 2018. Spent both the 1st and last day of the year in Karbala, Alhumdollilah. A very harsh, difficult year is ending.May Allah make 2019 easier for all of us.

Baynulharmain! 

Plans have been approved to cover this outside corridor and make the two shrines into one big one. Not sure if it's a good idea :( Baynulharmain is a truly magical place and I want it to stay as it is. 

Wow please remember us in your prayers!

My profile pic is of a circular mirror at the Centre Pompidou in Paris. Came across another one in an art gallery in Beijing, below. The coat on the floor is Maryam's, we used it to muck around with our re-interpretations of art installations, I think I've previously posted what we did with an Anthony Gormley sculpture. On this occasion, it is to represent her on a public forum.

IMG_9954.thumb.jpg.1d344791c454143bf6cd483970d43508.jpg

^ in soccer there has been a popular quiz called 'spot the ball' where they show an image, but rub out the position of the ball and you have to guess where it is. I get the impression that with ice hockey, given where you are sitting, the entire match is "spot the puck".

5 hours ago, Haji 2003 said:

^ in soccer there has been a popular quiz called 'spot the ball' where they show an image, but rub out the position of the ball and you have to guess where it is. I get the impression that with ice hockey, given where you are sitting, the entire match is "spot the puck".

We were up in the cheap $40 nosebleed uni student seats so that isn't untrue :grin:, but if you watch hockey highlights in general you'll notice how easy it is to pick up the direction of the puck from the other hints around it. The sticks everyone's carrying are always swinging towards the same spot.

If you have more than 1,000 photos stored on the Flickr website, and you are using their FREE service, they have announced that you need to upgrade to the PRO account and pay their fee by January 8, otherwise they will remove your older photos and only keep the newest 1,000. Also, you will not be able to upload any new photos and they have the right to delete your account if it is "inactive". They advise to download the photos you want to keep if you are not going to pay for the PRO service. 

On 1/3/2019 at 12:33 AM, Don'tMakeA١٠١س said:

but if you watch hockey highlights in general you'll notice how easy it is to pick up the direction of the puck from the other hints around it.

Yes, that is the principle behind spot the ball. :pushup2: