Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله
Sign in to follow this  
145_turbo_16V

Followers of christ - Who really follows him

Rate this topic

SA,

Dear All,

If you look around you today, can you (especially non-Muslims) let us know which of the 3 religious groups have their followers practicing religious rites similar to those practised by the Israelite Prophets (PBUT) and the pious people of that time.

You know like fasting, observation of holidays of the week, daily prayers, night prayers, or for the women, the dress code (like among the worlds greatest religion, whom do you think follow the dress code of Virgin Mary (pbuh)).

Thanks!

Hi Turbo (alamkastam?),

Well, since I'm a Catholic and a follower of the original Christian religion, although I admit I haven't gone to church in a while  :uhh: I like to think that Catholics most closely follow the original teachings of Christ.  However, I honestly do believe (I know this might seem to go against the grain of the Church) that it doesn't really matter to what denomination of Christianity one belongs to, it all pretty much boils down to one point, our common belief in Jesus Christ.  Anyway, Catholics believe in fasting (Lent, which really isn't fasting just abstaining from meat),  pilgrimages (the Holy Land, Santiago de Compostela, etc.)  Catholic women also used to dress in what you might describe as a hijab, but a little different perhaps, but this was mostly done in the southern European countries.  Some nuns still dress in a habit, although my great aunt doesn't anymore.  Every Christian believes in prayer, but Catholics are expected to pray the Rosary every day, something I can do more of  :( .  Anyway, I'm going to give you a link to a discussion board about Catholicism, I hope you post some messages there, it would be good for the board to have a Muslim ask some questions there.  Hope this helped,

http://pub34.ezboard.com/bcatholictruth

God bless,

RJM

Hi Dutchboy,

How did you know it was me? 8-)

Anyway, among the Christians, Jews and Muslims of today, which group do you think still adhere or practice things similar to that of the true followers of Jesus (as) and Prophets of that era? Like wearing hijab (or like what the nuns are wearing, I'm assuming they are trying to follow the way of Virgin Mary (as)), night prayers, daily prayers, one holy day of the week (congregation to a religious center), fasting (all Prophets fasted), religious scholars having beard (all Prophets had beard) and so on.......

Are you saying the answer would be the Christians?

Edited By 145_turbo_16V on 1030083727

Anyway, among the Christians, Jews and Muslims of today, which group do you think still adhere or practice things similar to that of the true followers of Jesus (as) and Prophets of that era? Like wearing hijab (or like what the nuns are wearing, I'm assuming they are trying to follow the way of Virgin Mary (as)), night prayers, daily prayers, one holy day of the week (congregation to a religious center), fasting (all Prophets fasted), religious scholars having beard (all Prophets had beard) and so on.......

No brother, the question is not like the way you have put it.

The question was, between the Muslims, Christians, and Jews, who follow closer the practices of the prophets and pious people of the past.

Among their practices are:

daily prayers, night prayers, fasting, observation of a holy day of the week, covering oneself (like hijab for women, like virgin Mary), have a beard, etc...

Please answer this question based on my criteria. Just want to know your opinion on this.

Well, it can go anyway. The Orthodox Jews still practice all of these. Some Christian sects, such as Missouri Synod or the Amish/Hudderites practice this as long with Muslims. However, I have no idea which religion does it more. Defintily not Christianity because, as Way2go put it, it doesn't matter. Paul preached on this a lot. The reason Christ came is because people cared too much for stuff like this and not enough for what really matters...loving your God, and loving others.

~Michael

Ahhh.... but Krogher, the reason for things like daily and nightly prayers is to establish a formal communication with the Lord. Of course this in no way implies you cannot speak your heart out to God. This is highly encouraged as well. Speaking to God and asking him for whatever is highly desirable and can be done 24/7.

Fasting helps you keep fit and remember the hardships faced by others of during your time, and during other times too. Yeah right now people say "Pity those poor Afghanis who everyday fast everyday not because of choice but because there is not enough food to go around" and after all this "pity" thoughts you get in your car and stuff yourself at the local Dennys/Red Lobster. Also not forgetting that all Prophets fasted and it sort of gives you an idea what they had to go through to get this message to you.

You see these rituals should not impede your relationship with other human being and also certainly not between you and God. And these rituals also should not be the cause of people abandoning the core of religion (that is to love God).

In fact these rituals/practices should instill humility in your heart in itself. This in addition to the abundance of rewards given to you by God whether by means of material or spiritual wealth.

The problem is not these practices. I think it has to do more with the LACK of it

Look around you today. These practices have been abandoned, and in place of them come social activities which in some cases compromises the high standards set by Jesus (as).

Jesus (as) did this and this and that, but the people of today simply say "that's all too much, all we need to do now is be simple and love Jesus, forget about all the other things he did".

You have a Pentium 4 processor, but where is the motherboard? Where is the graphics card? Where is the RAM? Where is the keyboard? Ahhh.... that's not important, what's important is we have the core of the whole thing, the processor.....

Turbo, I agree with you, I do believe that many people have long abandoned the traditions of the old church (i.e. fasting etc.) but that does not mean that they are not good Christian people.  If you feel the need to fast, or the call to do so, then you should most definately, but if you fast merely because you have not done it in a while and...well...that's what good Christians do, then your heart is not in the right place, and your actions will reflect as such.  Thanks

Stephen  :wee:

Turbo:

While fasting and daily and nightly prayers will help your relationship with God, you don't have to have a set way of expressing it. For instance, I do pray every morning when I wake up, every night when I fall to sleep, and eveery day after my devotionals, however, I also pray a lot during the day, little prayers. However, do I look down on people who don't do this? No, of course not. Do I look down on people who don't fast? NOpe becaue I never have! It isn't required and I feel that if God woud so call me to do so, I would, but he hasn't. One thing I think Muslims need to understand...or people in general, is that Christianity is not a religion of works. Sure, after you have accepted Christ and let his holy spirit into you, good works is a by product. Such as urine is a by product of drinking water (Sorry, I couldn't come up with a better analogy) however, fasting, and saying daily prayers will never get you into Heaven if your heart isn't right with Christ...God doesn't hear the prayers of the unrighteouss...I think that's in one of the books of Peter.

~Michael

Hello Michael,

It's not acceptable that when you perform rituals that you should become arrogant. When you perform rituals and try to be closer to God, Satan will always come to  get you. He may try to make you have feelings of superiority and such. This is something that must be avoided.

I think we must try to avoid thinking that people who practice should or must eventually become arrogant. I've seen this myself tough, and I think it is really sickening. But on the whole a truly devout person who performs obligations to God through these rituals will eventually become really humble and love all the goodness in humanity.

As an aside, if you haven't met a Shia alim (scholar), try to hook up with one. I've met with a few and they are very very humble. I've met with some priests too (I graduated from a Jesuit College) and they are also humble.

People who are close to God are usually very humble people.

My personal opinion is that on the whole, Muslims are closer in terms of practicing the rituals that Jesus (as) did. But that doesn't mean that Muslims are always more humble than Christians....do you think some of those murderous Talebans are humble? Talebans (who belong to the Wahabi school of thought) are a good example of people abandoning some of the spiritual aspects of Islam and concentrating too much on rituals.

Edited By 145_turbo_16V on 1030162888

Although I do believe it is a combination of faith and works that achieve salvation (this is in the Bible.)  I also believe that your average Catholic doesn't do any more good works than the average Protestant.  But these acts of good will should come from the person themselves and a desire to help people, not because one thinks of himself and just wants to get extra credit to get into heaven, perhaps that's why most Protestants kept it from their doctrines.  I have a question, is it okay for me a Christian to fast on Ramadan?  Because then I'd like to challenge myself and the other Christians here for the fast to get a better appreciation for your faith.

God bless,

RJM

Hi,

Ramadhan is a holy month. But you can fast on any month. If you are not used to it, try it in stages like 6 hours no water, then 6 hours no food and water, then 12 hours no water, and so on.

It's from sunrise to sunset, so in some places in some seasons can be as short as 6 hours or as long as 14 hours. Don't kill yourself doing it!!! Life takes priority over fasting. You have to fulfill certain conditions before being allowed to fast, i.e. pregnant mothers are NOT ALLOWED to fast. Sick people etc as well aren't allowed to fast.

RJM, where do you live? Have you tried talking to a Shia alim? You should try, most of them are nice people. Alim is a knowledgable person, most of the time it means the head of the mosque or shia center.