Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله

To improve ShiaChat.com... [OFFICIAL THREAD]

Rate this topic

• Replies 508
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

(bismillah) (salam) Spring cleaning time. :) I remember when ShiaChat had a rule that if you did not post any messages, you had 0 posts, your account would be deleted. Currently there are 18,619 memb

YES! Excellent idea. We could have something like this....     The right bottom side of the forum all empty, and it can be used to fill it in with something useful like a calendar.    And the days li

My list: To many forums, threads are scattered everywhere. This is the main reason threads die prematurely because most people never even see it because the overwhelming number of forums. Creating a F

Posted Images

If there was an unregister button or some way to delete your account that would make things so much easier for Admins and the users.

It should be like Facebook. If you want your account to be deleted, it will be disabled for 14 days before being actually deleted. If you log in during those 14 days, it will cease to be unregistered or set to be deleted. That way no rash decisions will be made ;)

• Veteran Member

I think it might be a good idea to take away the 'report' button from female users, and make it so that only those of them who have a 'status' (chatroom mod etc) are able to 'report' posts.

The reason for this, is it seems many of them get upset at the slightest little thing, and then get a little trigger happy with the button, and this leads to valued members of the site either having to leave due to being on constant 'mods preview' (like Bookha Bhairiya) or been banned for no reason (alimohammad40).

When things like this happen, no one benefits - aside from the admins, who have to read through less 'reports' (though I can't imagine they are very detailed: 'this hadith offends me, ban the user')

Or that can only reports posts in the sisters forum

I'm not joking

Edited by Ali_Hussain

jokes aside, it was a terrible move.

Yeah but you can't always be sure that you know every reason someone ends up being banned.

Yesterday I reported one of our resident conspiracy theorists for making obscene and explicit posts in the food forum (of all places). Today I noticed those posts were deleted....the guy wasn't banned though. However if he had been banned I am sure a bunch of guys on here would be crying about it without really knowing about his nasty perverted posts in the food forum. Then there are things that go on behind the main forum...for example private messages. People end up being banned over private messages sometimes and rightfully so. No I am not saying that is why he was banned, but don't just assume that macisaac made a "terrible move".

and I see you have been here a few years....you should know these things already

Edited by ImAli

Yeah but you can't always be sure that you know every reason someone ends up being banned.

Yesterday I reported one of our resident conspiracy theorists for making obscene and explicit posts in the food forum (of all places). Today I noticed those posts were deleted....the guy wasn't banned though. However if he had been banned I am sure a bunch of guys on here would be crying about it without really knowing about his nasty perverted posts in the food forum. Then there are things that go on behind the main forum...for example private messages. People end up being banned over private messages sometimes and rightfully so. No I am not saying that is why he was banned, but don't just assume that macisaac made a "terrible move".

and I see you have been here a few years....you should know these things already

What kind of weirdo makes perverted posts in the food forum? lol

I think it might be a good idea to take away the 'report' button from female users, and make it so that only those of them who have a 'status' (chatroom mod etc) are able to 'report' posts.

The reason for this, is it seems many of them get upset at the slightest little thing, and then get a little trigger happy with the button, and this leads to valued members of the site either having to leave due to being on constant 'mods preview' (like Bookha Bhairiya) or been banned for no reason (alimohammad40).

When things like this happen, no one benefits - aside from the admins, who have to read through less 'reports' (though I can't imagine they are very detailed: 'this hadith offends me, ban the user')

Or that can only reports posts in the sisters forum

I'm not joking

Would male users still be able to report posts?

Of course, but if they over use it for no reason, they should loose the privilege

That does not seem very fair

You should move to saudia

That is absurd stripping someones ability to have a report button because of gender.

Ah, but then they can talk about the merits of muta all the time without us pesky females interfering :)

• Veteran Member

You should move to saudia

That is absurd stripping someones ability to have a report button because of gender.

That does not seem very fair

Ah, but then they can talk about the merits of muta all the time without us pesky females interfering :)

Well you see the problem, there are certain discussions that females just don't like, and 'interfer' as you put it - we are talking about the report button - This is a site for dialogue and exchange of ideas, not for silencing those topics we don't like. I don't think that was the function of the button.

Edited by Ali_Hussain

Well you see the problem, there are certain discussions that females just don't like, and 'interfer' as you put it - we are talking about the report button - This is a site for dialogue and exchange of ideas, not for silencing those topics we don't like. I don't think that was the function of button.

Yes but this is not a single gender website. If you men want to talk about issues that might offend the sisters then why dont you find an alternative forum

Well you see the problem, there are certain discussions that females just don't like, and 'interfer' as you put it - we are talking about the report button - This is a site for dialogue and exchange of ideas, not for silencing those topics we don't like. I don't think that was the function of button.

Do you have access to the reports and who the reports are coming from? If not you are assuming much.

Yes but this is not a single gender website. If you men want to talk about issues that might offend the sisters then why dont you find an alternative forum

Yoda is never wrong. Listen to the Yoda

as for other members being banned for no apparent reason. All i would like to say is this

Its a hard knock life

:)

Yoda is never wrong. Listen to the Yoda

as for other members being banned for no apparent reason. All i would like to say is this

Its a hard knock life

:)

May the force be with you brother :)

And I daresay people are not banned for no reason, perhaps they have pushed their luck for years...

May the force be with you brother :)

And I daresay people are not banned for no reason, perhaps they have pushed their luck for years...

Speaking from experience, i was banned previously, yet i learned my lesson, and have had the mercy of the mods allow me to roam freely again. The Mods know what they are doing. They are always right. Never disrespect the mods :P

• Advanced Member

As a former mod (I stepped down recently), I can assure you topics are not closed/people aren't banned just to silence them just because they are not liked or because the topic is unpopular.

Reports come from both genders (I didn't notice an influx of female reports compared to male reports) and are usually about things such as name-calling, language, inappropriate lanats etc. Like ImAli said - if you don't have access to the reports, then you are just assuming.

If a report is a complaint about a topic that isn't liked (which isn't that common), then it's usually ignored.

It takes a lot to be PERMANENTLY banned and if someone is permanently banned by a mod/admin, then it's usually for a good reason (and it's discussed between the mods/admins too, not just the decision of one person all the time).

Edited by Replicant

As a former mod (I stepped down recently), I can assure you topics are not closed/people aren't banned just to silence them just because they are not liked or because the topic is unpopular.

Reports come from both genders (I didn't notice an influx of female reports compared to male reports) and are usually about things such as name-calling, language, inappropriate lanats etc. Like ImAli said - if you don't have access to the reports, then you are just assuming.

If a report is a complaint about a topic that isn't liked (which isn't that common), then it's usually ignored.

It takes a lot to be PERMANENTLY banned and if someone is permanently banned by a mod/admin, then it's usually for a good reason (and it's discussed between the mods/admins too, not just the decision of one person all the time).

I totally agree.

• Veteran Member

Bismehe Ta3ala,

Brother/Sister Replicant, Assalam Alikum.

Is Shabbir permanently banned?

M3 Salamah, FE AMIN Allah

Edited by Laayla
  • Advanced Member

To Improve Shiachat.com, I suggest the following:

I move that we make the "Articles" sub-forum into a fully fledged forum like "General Discussions" where we can put up articles written by Muslim intellectuals about the Islamic world as topics, and then people can comment on it on the thread via posts.

I feel this would stimulate intellectual discussions rather than the boring old marriage-mutah topics and food.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Advanced Member

To improve and secure its users SC should use secure shell means get "https" instead of "http" this encrypt all data from server to user and most imp thing it will bypass ban list from countries blocking it like KSA and emrats etc.

And also have a another domain name like "sc.org" so if there is dns block it bypass too.

But https is really imp.

• Site Administrators

Salams

That would be very helpful. I didn't even know about the notifications until I looked at my profile and had a bunch of posts on my feed. I then did some searching around and found out how to turn it on.

Sorry havn't worked on this yet. Still in the to do list.

Can you please improve the mobile version? I can only post in between 60 sec, while when I scroll down and click the desktop version, I can post whenever I want. I can't use the desktop version the time because it takes longer to load and I have to zoom in to be able to read the text clearly... Also, can you add "settings" to the mobile version box? :)

There are posting restrictions in both the mobile and desktop version.

To improve ShiaChat.com, I would remove the rule about not cursing the unmentionables. :dry:

Why aren't we allowed to send la'anat on the three caliphs and two wives in the chatroom? I don't think I've ever seen a Sunni come into the chatroom before, and whatever the hell happened to this forum being SHIAchat anyway...?

It's understandable that you guys want to do things your way in your (shia) forum. But this is not the vision we have in mind.

Mission statement of ShiaChat.com

The two major goals that we strive for are to first provide a website to allow all Muslims and Non-Muslims alike to interact and discuss religious issues; secondly, to promote the Shia Ithna-Asheri school of thought. We shall try to bridge the gaps between fellow Muslims, as well as uphold the teachings of Allah (st), Prophet Muhammad (saww), and the Ahlul-Bayt (as).

http://www.shiachat.com/forum/index.php?/topic/12119-faq-shiachatcom-the-site/

If there was an unregister button or some way to delete your account that would make things so much easier for Admins and the users.

We can't allow members to delete their own accounts for a number of reasons. By not deleting accounts, we are able to track previously banned members (just one of the tools). We also don't want members to delete their accounts or posts because it would disrupt many threads in which other members invest time and effort (unfair to them).

To Improve Shiachat.com, I suggest the following:

I move that we make the "Articles" sub-forum into a fully fledged forum like "General Discussions" where we can put up articles written by Muslim intellectuals about the Islamic world as topics, and then people can comment on it on the thread via posts.

I feel this would stimulate intellectual discussions rather than the boring old marriage-mutah topics and food.

Since this is a discussion forum, I don't think it's a good idea to create such threads where we copy/paste info from elsewhere. Apart from the political forums, where news is required to initiate an argument, there is little chance for copy/paste threads to stimulate intellectual discussions.

To improve and secure its users SC should use secure shell means get "https" instead of "http" this encrypt all data from server to user and most imp thing it will bypass ban list from countries blocking it like KSA and emrats etc.

And also have a another domain name like "sc.org" so if there is dns block it bypass too.

But https is really imp.

SSL certificates are beneficial to our users if we're selling anything, which we're not. Don't think there is much risk of hackers preying on an average SC member's password. Also, correct me if wrong, I think it will considerably slow down the forum. As for having another domain name, it won't really help as it will eventually get blocked.

To improve shiachat i would make the chatroom available for phones, i am unable to acces it through my i phone unfortunatley. I would also like the moderators to appoint more moderators so that you would be able to find the infedils that lurkon here.

Chatroom is available on phones. Type http://www.shiachat....ndex.php?/chat/ into your web browser (you need to be signed in first). This worked on the iphone, but we haven't tried android.