Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله
Sign in to follow this  
Ibn al-Hussain

Hair (Not head hair this time)

Rate this topic

(salam)

Is it haram/makruh/girly thing (to do) to get rid of the hair on your body (chest, legs...). If not, how many of you actually do it ;)? (And I ain't talking about Pubic hair).

And seriously, I don't want any sisters posting here :angry:, cuz I seriously don't care if you think it's ewwww or manly or what not :mad:.

--Ya Aba :P I deleted the post my self, thought you could beat me to to it :P?

Edited by Ali_Imran

(salam)

Is it haram/makruh/girly thing (to do) to get rid of the hair on your body (chest, legs...). If not, how many of you actually do it ;)? (And I ain't talking about Pubic hair).

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It is actually mustahab to get rid of the excessive body hair. It's been mentioned in many ahadith. I remember Wilayah once posted a Q/A from Seestani, and if I could recall it right, this includes hair on legs, arms, chest, back, and all the weird places.

(salam)

There are times when it's better to leave the hair.

From http://www.al-islam.org/m_morals/chap3.htm#anchor443736 :

However, abstinence from all the forbidden ways of fulfilling the sexual urge is not easy. Therefore, a few guide-lines would not be out of place. Once a man came to the Prophet and said, "I do not have the (financial) ability to marry; therefore, I have come to complain about my singleness." The Prophet advised him how to control his sexual urge by saying, "Leave the hair of your body and fast continuously." (Wasa'il, vol. 14, p. 178) By saying that "leave the hair of your body," the Prophet is asking not to remove the hair which grows on pubic area, chest, etc, by shaving or using lotion or wax; rather one should just trim the hair.

This hadith is indicating that removing the excessive hair increases one's sexual urge. (Probably, that is why the shari'ah has recommended the men to shave the excessive hair every forty days, and the women to remove the excessive hair by lotion or cream every twenty days.) In retrospect, it means that not removing the hair will decrease the sexual desire and help the person in abstinence. Imam 'Ali says, "Whenever a person's hair increases, his sexual desires have also decreased." (Wasa'il, vol. 14, p. 178)

I think arm or leg hair is usually not considered to be "excessive hair".

Edited by ghoti

But I thought the chest hair on a man was a good thing ;)?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

A lil might be ok but looking like a Gorilla is not attractive at all..

I have used hair remover on my upper legs and abs. It stinks for the first 30 minutes after that its all smoooootthh.

:lol:

It is actually mustahab to get rid of the excessive body hair. It's been mentioned in many ahadith. I remember Wilayah once posted a Q/A from Seestani, and if I could recall it right, this includes hair on legs, arms, chest, back, and all the weird places.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I don't have any weird places but I cut the hair on my chest with a lawn mower. Hairy palms aren't weird are they? :lol: :lol:

As always peace and good waxing

Satyaban

(bismillah)

Question: One of the brothers wants to shave his legs,I was not sure if this is haraam or not so I need to know to tell him.

Answer:It is not Haram, except when wearing Ehram.

Source

Question: Is it allowed for a man to shave the pubic hair? (Or must he only trim with a scissors?) I was told that it is forbidden because of medical reasons. I was told, also, that women can shave with a razor in the pubic region (that is not forbidden).

Answer: Shaving or Trimming boils down to personal choice. There is no limit as to who does what. Islam has only guided men and women to keep themselves clean.

Source

then what about underarms? trim or shave etc..  i mean is it mustahab to remove it

I have heard a narration where one of the Imam's used some sort of cream to remove his underarm hair. It would be more cleaner to trim the hair there, I think shaving will make it go spikey and spike you. lol Ask the Sisters in the sister forum. :P

have heard a narration where one of the Imam's used some sort of cream to remove his underarm hair. It would be more cleaner to trim the hair there, I think shaving will make it go spikey and spike you. lol Ask the Sisters in the sister forum.

For $10 you can get one of those multi-purpose trimmers. I do it before i go to bed. 30 seconds to trim it down and 10 to rub it with baby oil. No spikes No itch No problem!

Hairy palms aren't weird are they? :lol:  :lol:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Nope, but they do tell that you've been single for too long now..

But I thought the chest hair on a man was a good thing  ;)

used to be.. in some old days..

It's all about being clean now..

I didn't know that having chest hair and being clean were mutually exclusive? :huh:

Did you mean that the two have no relation? Are you being sarcastic? Or did you really mean that cleanliness and having chest hair have an inverse relationship? Or am I completely off? :blink:

Myself, I have chest/leg/arm/etc hair, but I'm not a 'gorilla'. I would recommend shaving underarms and pubic hair (and no it's really not that big of a deal in terms of irritation after you do it a few times, in the shower).

(salam)

And seriously, I don't want any sisters posting here :angry:, cuz I seriously don't care if you think it's ewwww or manly or what not :mad:.

--Ya Aba :P I deleted the post my self, thought you could beat me to to it :P?

Is it such a crucial matter, there's nothing wrong, but there are alway those kind of people who would say this is haram........... :cry: to make matter worse....... :shaytan:

I don't think anything is wrong with those rids.......

:lol:

I don't have any weird places but I cut the hair on my chest with a lawn mower. Hairy palms aren't weird are they? :lol: :lol:

As always peace and good waxing

Satyaban

:!!!: u shud remove the weeds first :!!!: medically every part of the skin has hair&hair follicles EXCEPT palm of hands&sole of feet so hairy palm is wierd&abnormal

Salaams,

huh. i was taught in madressa (and i am shia) that it is wajib to shave all hard hairs ("they must never be longer than a grain of rice" : was what i was told)

hard hairs are under arm and pubic.

but reading this, no one has mentioned that,, so i am a little confused.

was i the only one taught that?? :huh:

shaving does make the hair more thick, so after trying that i decided to only trim.

and then concerning arm pit hair: i read a hadith while i was hanging with sunnis before knowing about shias, where apparently we are supposed to wax them with our own hands (pull them out with thumb and index finger.. same way waxing is done with waxing tools .. for men anyway, not sure bout the women ). been doing that for many years and it works really well actually. it requires patience though. best part is that by pulling out hair follicles it also removes the stored sweat and makes us not need deodorant (if the diet is right, and a healthy lifestyle and ghusl style is performed ). and deodorant is just a way of blocking excretion, it's an anti-persipant .. sweating is a form of getting rid of bodily toxins. especially in arm pit area i guess.

so it's either trim or wax i'd say .. preferably anyway wAllahu Aalam

may Allah swt make all of us cleaner and more pure ya Rabb

(wasalam)

Edited by peace seeker

I think you should consult a Imam for this question as none of us have complete guidance so it would be better to ask a Imam.

Well I think that men without hairy legs and chest looks like a girl ... Its a girly thing for me well what so ever everyone has their own choices to make.