Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله

Picture of Imam Ali

Rate this topic

zaigham abbas

• Advanced Member

(bismillah)

(salam)

InshaAllah you are in the best of health and Imaan.

In my personal opinion, I think that the Prophet (pbuh) is too Holy to draw, due to his very lofty and unique position with Allah (SWT).

I do, however, not mind pictures of Imam Ali (as) . I think, what puts this into perspective, is that the Prophet (pbuh) is loved for Serving Allah (SWT), and Imam Ali (as) is loved for Serving the Prophet (pbuh) .

But eventhough the pictures may seem nice and real, it does end up to be alot of interpretation also, not to say that there isn't any reality behind the pictures.

Before people may begin to debate abit, I'd like to say again that this is my opinion.

WsWrWb

StriveR :)

Edited by StriveR

• Advanced Member

(bismillah)

(salam)

Brother tahasyed, I'm not familiar with anything saying that it is haram to draw human beings. I have however heard that it is haram to make models, mimicking them or creatures for example.

Please post an evidence regarding it bieng haram to draw human biengs.

WsWrWb

StriveR

• Advanced Member

wouldn't it be better not to draw pictures at all. If drawing were allowed, don't you guys thing the contemporary artists would have been more then happy to draw the prophet's.

because Islam frowns on drawing pictures, Islamic art focused solely an calligraphic.

I don't have hadith at this moment, or a verse from the Quran, but I know shia Scholars refuse to pray on mats with animal or human picture on it.

anyway i find drawing imaginary pictures of someone, and hang it in your home then show it love and reverence is down right silly and superficial.

• Advanced Member

^^ you said ahle bait? what are you saying. ahle bait is the house of mohammad saww. what you meanth to say is shian e ali. but in theyr fiqh too it is a divided question. as some sunnis have picutres of saints and awliyas while other houses fobid that.

• Advanced Member
(salam)

It is not permitted in Islam to paint or draw pictures of dead people. Be it Imam Ali (as)  or a commoner!

Don't the Ahl-ul Buyt follow the Qu'ran? or are they too busy reading Peshawar Nights?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

i truly wish there a rule against sarcasim on this forum.

• Advanced Member

asalamu alaykum

QUOTE(Malik bin Ushtar @ Nov 2 2005, 02:18 PM)

It is not permitted in Islam to paint or draw pictures of dead people. Be it Imam Ali  or a commoner!

Don't the Ahl-ul Buyt follow the Qu'ran? or are

congratulations ^ you just Insulted the Prophet (pbuh) and his progeny , and u being a sunni , and considering ahlul bait as the wives , another clap of hands for insulting Aisha , you seem to have a lot of problems with some shias saying things about Aiysha but u dnt mind ur self doing it ....

asalamu alaykum

QUOTE(Malik bin Ushtar @ Nov 2 2005, 02:18 PM)

congratulations ^ you just Insulted the Prophet (pbuh) and his progeny , and u being a sunni , and considering ahlul bait as the wives , another clap of hands for insulting Aisha , you seem to have a lot of problems with some shias saying things about Aiysha but u dnt mind ur self doing it ....

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

dont get too excited I meant the SHia who claim their ahlulbayt.

• Advanced Member

asalamu alaykum

no shias claim they are ahlulbait , as you know ahlulbait is to u the wives , and from ur haddith also , the rasoul (pbuh) fatima , Ali , hassan and hussain (as) now dont say u meant shias pretending they are ahlulbait , u meant what u said ,. aand only realized what it indicated after i made it clear....

• Advanced Member

You can have pictures of scholars bt not of imams???

The point of having pictures is to reflect abt it. |It should be done by portraying a sad or joyful event such as ghadeer khum or ashura, because it makes ya think. Also jst a simple picture of a religious person which represents for eg an imam (eventhough its not him) mite get you to start thinking and contemplate. Quran and hadith highly recomend contemplating and forms of pictures is a good way by doing this. if you say no you cant do stuff like his, we do reanactment in ashura, whats the difference having that drawn?

People give their own opinions and in the end let their feelings get involved with the verdict.

• Advanced Member
What is the purpose of drawing such picutres?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

its symbolic we dont worship it its only symbolic for the love and repect we have for them we dont say this is how they looked like we say this is how they could have looked like once again let me just say it SYMBOLIC!!! Damn! wahabi's i hate them they think we worship the pictures its SYMBOLIC!!!!!!!!!!

Edited by SayedMohammed

• Advanced Member

(salam)

As far as I know these pics are wrong to make for following raesons:

1. We never had these pics in the life time of our Imam (a.s), eventhough pple saw them with there own eye, nobody ever dared to make thire pic.

2. The person who claims to have seen them in his dream cud b a lair.

3.We already have seen pple taking these pics home as a tabaruk, It won't b long till start to bow down befor them.

3.In 1600 when first pic of prophet Isa(a.s) was made, the person had same claim that saw Hz Isa(a.s) in his dream, now over the centuries christian believe that the men in that pic is Hz Isa(a.s) and wership it. I believe same will happen to shia's if this evil is not stoped today.

4.You do not see anywhere in the History of Isalm any prove of vilidity of such a thing.

5.those who claim that it takes them closer to the Imams(a.s) are liers,

coz as we know those who indulge in these thing are less practical compare to others.

6.and finally our Imams (a.s) were far more beautiful then what these Idiot draw.

Hope the pple will understand my points and will try to distroy this evil.

tc

waslaam

• Advanced Member
I think its disgusting.

Not only is it haram to draw human beings, but the pictures do not do them justice.

Also, it's sad that their portraits are found in rozas, and MOSQUES in Iran. And it baffles me that nothing is done about this.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

bro u r right ,i think quran also explains abt it

but shia worship these pictures

• Advanced Member
bro u r right ,i think quran also explains abt it

but shia worship these pictures

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

DEAR SISTER ARE YOU INSANE!! WE DO NOT WORSHIP THESE PICTURES THERE SYMBOLIC DAMMIT!!!! SYMBOLIC!!! AND THIS IS COMING FROM ME A SHIA! MUSLIM!! I'M SHIA AND I DONT WORHSIP THOSE PICTURES! I NEVER HEARD OF A MUSLIM WHO DOES! DONT JUST SAY SOMTHING THAT YOU PROBABLY HEARD FROM YOUR GRANDMA OR SOMTHING! :mad: :mad:

I REALLY FEEL SORRY FOR YOU SISTER FOR THINKING LIKE THAT ABOUT SHIA'S :huh:

Edited by SayedMohammed

• Advanced Member
As far as I know these pics are wrong to make for following raesons:

1. We never had these pics in the life time of our Imam (a.s), eventhough pple saw them with there own eye, nobody ever dared to make thire pic.

2. The person who claims to have seen them in his dream cud b a lair.

3.We already have seen pple taking these pics home as a tabaruk, It won't b long till start to bow down befor them.

3.In 1600 when first pic of prophet Isa(a.s) was made, the person had same claim that saw Hz Isa(a.s) in his dream, now over the centuries christian believe that the men in that pic is Hz Isa(a.s) and wership it. I believe same will happen to shia's if this evil is not stoped today.

4.You do not see anywhere in the History of Isalm any prove of vilidity of such a thing.

5.those who claim that it takes them closer to the Imams(a.s) are liers,

coz as we know those who indulge in these thing are less practical compare to others.

6.and finally our Imams (a.s) were far more beautiful then what these Idiot draw.

Hope the pple will understand my points and will try to distroy this evil.

tc

waslaam

(bismillah)

(salam)

InshAllah you are doing well.

With regards to the questions...

1. Personally, I think that if one lived at that time he/she wouldnt draw Them (as) as they have seen Them (as) .

2. True, 'could be a liar.' But coming from trustworthy people, as it usually does, the person is more likely to be telling the truth as oppose to lying.

3. At the end of the day, Islam has set boundaries. If the people exceed them, then that's their mistake. Islam, if is followed how it should, then people won't bow down to pictures.

4. Can you please bring a Hadith or something that disproves the validity of such a thing?

5. Maybe if you see a writing of Their Name (as) , then maybe you would remember them (asin their life and stories and 'pearls of wisdom'). I would personally gain more closeness to Them (as) becuase I would have remembered them, and would remember small a'maal for them for example. If a picture is said to give an idea of how they looked, whether it does or doesnt, then ultimatly you would remeber the Imam (as) himself, as it in one way or another relates to them.

6. Of course the pcitures cannot be accepted to be a true representation of Their (as) appearance an characteristics etc. I thought this was made clear.

Also in my opinion, I prefer the calligraphy, the writings etc, to any protrait of Them (as) . I would think that this is attitude is common throught Shi3a's.

WsWrWb

StriveR

• Advanced Member

I for one would like to point out ive never seen a picture of Rasul (s) in Iran, I dont know where this character got this from. Also its very disturbing to find someone else here call Imam Ali (a) "Dead", Perhaps he wasnt very well informed. Aside from that, a brother earlier made his point very clear, id like to emphasize..

Depiction of the Prophets (s) and Imam Ali (a) had a very early history, mainly among the sunnites, in particular in Baghdad where artwork flourished during the Golden age of Islam. However these pictures were portrayed in such a way that the face was not visible, In most cases a "Shining white Light" was drawn upon it.

This was not to worship these pictures, but to tell the story of a certain event, for instance that of Qadire Khomm.

Many Sunnites and Shia's to this day still depict the Prophet and his Household, along with his Companions, not to make them objects of worships, But to tell the story of a certain event. One of my very close memories was a Sunnite bookwriter, who used a imaginary depiction of the Prophet Nuh (a) to tell his story in a childrens book.

The purpose of this is not at all to exclusively make people have a picture of a Prophet or an Imam and believe they looked like this, But to remember their deeds, their doings and what they went through in general. Many people have Hossayn (a) in their households, on Calendars and more and many times you will see Hossayn with a cut of blood on his forehead. The message by itself would be very clear, Its to remember the tragedy he went through, the message is very clear in that sense.

Regardless wether i agree to these practices of depicting Imams or Prophets (Wich in essence are two completely different ranks and thereby this whole post is flawed), The bottom line is these are not used to focus on what the person looks like, but to remember an action in history. So similar to Tawassul (Just using this as an example) It merely depends on the Painters intention, and the beholders intention on wether this is considered Shirk or not. Personally i dont approve of it at all, Since you can depict without face, But then again i dont see the great fuss about this, since nobody to this day, to my knowledge, has worshipped these paintings. They are in essence thereby nothing more than paintings in wich an event is cast back into the mind of the beholder and the picture hereby holding no special value whatsoever.

Just my 2 cents.

• Advanced Member
Depiction of the Prophets (s) and Imam Ali (a) had a very early history, mainly among the sunnites, in particular in Baghdad where artwork flourished during the Golden age of Islam. However these pictures were portrayed in such a way that the face was not visible, In most cases a "Shining white Light" was drawn upon it.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

very true hasent anyone ever

seen those antique qajar miror cases ?

that have imam ali (as) imam hassan and hussein (as)

Edited by SayedMohammed

• Advanced Member

not to blame the ithna ashari , sunni and sufi fiqh

but the tendenses of making pictures and the "stick" case. with symbols and all such as horses (symbols in the sufi cyrcles too and pictures among sunnis too) are actually a similiar actions from one of the ahle kitaabs,... the christians.

they have this saint system, the pictures and the holiness of everything a saint touch, the beeing of a saint everywhere ....

do we actually need to purify our faith?

• Advanced Member
(salam)

It is not permitted in Islam to paint or draw pictures of dead people. Be it Imam Ali (as)  or a commoner!

Don't the Ahl-ul Buyt follow the Qu'ran? or are they too busy reading Peshawar Nights?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

#1 have some respect

#2 dont dare compare a commoner with Ali(as)

#3Don't the Ahl-ul Buyt follow the Qu'ran? or are they too busy reading Peshawar Nights? <<is this your attemp at sarcasim :lol: :lol: u cracked me up :dry: stupid idiot

Edited by ya ahlulbyt