Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله
Sign in to follow this  
ahmed 05

help!

Rate this topic

salams all.

for part of my IT coursework i have been asked to create a spreadsheet using excel for examination results. At the moment i am stuck... I need to grade each candidate according to there score. However i need to do this using a formula. I'm pretty sure the formula has to be in the format of:

=Vlookup(SearchItem, TableRange, ColumnNo, Exact)

....but i dnt know how to input this.

please help!!!

ws

salams all.

for part of my IT coursework i have been asked to create a spreadsheet using excel for examination results. At the moment i am stuck... I need to grade each candidate according to there score. However i need to do this using a formula. I'm pretty sure the formula has to be in the format of:

=Vlookup(SearchItem, TableRange, ColumnNo, Exact)

....but i dnt know how to input this.

please help!!!

ws

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

grading is not problem :P .....

use IF Formulae :)

bro thanx for ur help but its not possible.... i think.

coz i tried this:

=IF(i4="0-12","U")......as an example. and it didnt work.

Grade %age

A* 86-100

A 81-85

B 66-80

C 50-65

D 40-49

E 20-39

F 13-19

U 0-12

lol is there a different formula u can think of?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

sorry i forgot formulae :( .... but grading is done with IF formula

Edited by aali_shan

Ive found a way of doing it by using "fx" button next to where you type the formula. But when I finish and press enter it does not give a grade it jus gives"#N/A".Anyone got advice???? :cry:

Edited by ahmed 05

yea i did sumfin like dat on my cwk-- and its definitely wid IF statement- infact i tink its Nested Ifs which r even harder... coz ure sayin dis...

IF grade = 40-49 marks Then grade = D, else

IF grade = 50-59 marks Then grade = C, else

IF grade = 60-69 marks Then grade = B, else

IF grade = 70-79 marks Then grade = A.

End IF..

Dats 1 whole if-- but u gta keep creatin a new if 4 each grade line (like above) so it becomes NESTED if.!!

Or sumfin like dat newayz! lol haha..

Basically its a set of NESTED IF..THEN..ELSE statements. :)

Dey woz bareee complicated i remember!! So glad i dont hav 2 do nefin like dat nemore..

Edited by Sayeda_110

Ive found a way of doing it by using "fx" button next to where you type the formula. But when I finish and press enter it does not give a grade it jus givesccAnyone got advice???? :cry:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Dat usually happens-- wen it aint got any data or enough data to produce the results from? So make sure u've given the correct cell refs to where it shud get da data from and hence give you da calculated ansa..

So like if u wnt it 2 point to A1 + B1 to give you the ansa in C1... (VERY BASIC) Lol..

But in the cell ref if u put A2+B1 OR A2 + B2 and give the ansa in C1... it will produce dat "#N/A" ting... coz wen it goes 2 get da data from those cells, A2 OR B2 ETC... Der will b nothing der so it wont b able to come out wid the propa result n therefore it cant give u an answer so insted it says "#N/A".!! :!!!:

LOL.

PS BTW u shuda made dis in COMMUNITY HLPDESK-- wuda got more help ! lol..

Mods y dont u move it 4 him? :P

Edited by Sayeda_110

lol thanx for ur help sis but that doesnt seem to b the problem. any other suggestions?

ps mods can u pleez move it to community helpdesk coz i dnt know how to do it :angel: and im lazy :lol: and im kinda tied up with work at the moment as you can see :angry:

ws

lol thanx for ur help sis but that doesnt seem to b the problem. any other suggestions?

ps mods can u pleez move it to community helpdesk coz i dnt know how to do it  :angel: and im lazy  :lol: and im kinda tied up with work at the moment as you can see :angry:

ws

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Loll.. oh ok... haha... nevamind..

lets start at da beginin? With that cell that ur using da "fx" on n ur sayin u press ENTER but it dontwork?

Wot is it u want dat cell 2 do? So wot SHUD come up?? And where is da data or calculation coming 4rm?

With that cell that ur using da "fx" on n ur sayin u press ENTER but it dontwork? Wot is it u want dat cell 2 do? So wot SHUD come up?? And where is da data or calculation coming 4rm?

I want the cell to come up with a grade for example A* or B or F. The calculation is coming from a table that i have constructed with the grade requirements.Lol but wen i go to the fx thing i dnt press enter straight away i have to do a few things like select the vlookup button and type in lookup value, table array and col_index_number.

I want the cell to come up with a grade for example A* or B or F. The calculation is coming from a table that i have constructed with the grade requirements.Lol but wen i go to the fx thing i dnt press enter straight away i have to do a few things like select the vlookup button and type in lookup value, table array and col_index_number.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

oh rite ok... So basically its da main calculation- Working out da grade? :P

Well again- its comin up like dat coz u prob aint done da calc rite! trust me i knw.. lol... dats da only reason dat ting comes up...

either

1) Formula/Calculation ur tryin 1 do isnt correct -- Wrong cell ref, incorrect formula, lik even if ders a letter or char dat is incorect- ur whole ting wil come up wrong n wid dat sing ur gettin)..

2) Missing data

3) Data result it is tryin 2 obtain is out of range.

If u can PM me ur Spreadsheet wid da formula ur using etc- so i can check da exact formula n c wot da problem iz etc.. :)

(salam)

:angry: My head has started to hurt when after reading all the post :angry:. Lolz. What are you people trying to do? Want to use Formula for grading?

If the following is case then the solution is given in the end.

You have prepared result. Now you want to Grade all of the students but using a Formula. Rite?

Here if the formula to be used.

=IF(J3>79,"A",IF(J3>69,"B",IF(J3>59,"C",IF(J3>49,"D",IF(J3>39,"E",IF(J3>29,"F"))))))

Assuming J3 is the column and row where Percentage is written. I have assumed the Grades too in hurry, so change it to whatever you wish.

Apply the above formula for the first row of Percentage column. You can apply the above formula for each candidat seperatly or do this lil trick.

Paste the above Formula in Grade column in front of First candidate. Have the column and row numbers fixed. When you get the Grade after formula is applied. Click on that box, you will notice a little square towards DOWN RIGHT of that little box, select that and drag it downwards till the last candidate.

Done ;)

Hope that helps.

Thankyou for your help brother and thankyou for everyone else that has helped me however i got thinking last night and i figured it out. However it still didnt work so i asked my IT teacher and with a few minor adjustments i got there!!

For the guys that were interested the formula was:

=VLOOKUP(I4,Grades,2)

Lookup_value: This is the cell that we want to research i.e. in this case the first cell we want to input the grade into. (I4)

Table _array: This is the title that you gave to the table you want substitute into your column i.e. in this case the table was called “grades”.

Col_index_num: Once “VLOOKUP” finds the number in the first column, it must return the value from the same row in a different column. The value here is 2, since we want the grade.

^^ Just for those you that were curious..... :P

thanks again

Ahmed

ws