Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله
Sign in to follow this  
Sheikh Hassan

Holy verses about Imam Al-Mahdi (AS)

Rate this topic

(bismillah)

In the name of Allah (SWT), the Graceful, the Merciful

(salam)

This post contains information about about the verses from the Quran that and the just government of Imam Al Mahdi, as well as sayings of the Holy Prophet (pbuh) and Imam Ali (as) , on the Imam Al Hujja (as) .

This post is going to be split up into sections, each highlighted by a boldened title. I will restrict the traditions mentioned, to those that are 'sahih' (correct) and 'hasan' (good), All traditions mentioned are authentic, and their contexts exist in writing. Any traditions mentioned that are otherwise, will be labeled as such.

The Holy Quran:

Among the verses of the Holy Quran, from whose purport it is understood that the twelve Imams (as) have authority and Imamah are :

"You are but a warner, and every people has a guide" Surah Ra'd (13) Verse 7

and

"My covenant reaches not the opressors (and only that group of your descendants is worthy of this position who are pure and infallible)" Surah Baqarah (2) Verse 124

and

"Thus is one who guides to the truth worthier of being followed?" Surah Yunis (10) Verse 35

and

"Oh ye who brought have brought faith! Obey Allah and obey the Messenger and those in authority among you (the trustees of the Prophet)" Surah Nisa (4) Verse 59

All these verses indicate this point since from them one understands that society is not without an Imam, the infallibility of the holder of the station of Imamah, and his being more knowlegable than others.

I shall highlight only three verses from the Holy Quran, though they are many (They are all recalled in the book Al-Mahajja fi ma Nazala fi al-Qa-im al-Hujja), that mention the apperance of Imam Al Mahdi:

"Allah has promised those who have believed among you and do good deeds that He shall certianly make them rulers in the earth as He made those before them and shall make firm for them their religion which He has chosen for them and shall change their fear into security; they will worship ME and associate none with Me, and whoever disbeleaves after that, it is they who are the iniquitous." Surah Nur (24), Verse 55

and

"And We desired to bestow a favor upon those who were deemed weak in the land, and to make them the Imams, and to make them the heirs" Surah Qasas (28), Verse 5

and

"And verily We have written in the Zabur (Psalms) after the Remembrance that my righteous servants will inherit the earth" Suran Al Anbiya (29), Verse 105

FROM THE SAYINGS OF THE HOLY PROPHET

Abu Dawoud in his 'Sahih' on Page 87, Vol. 4 narrated from Abdulla a tradition from the Holy Prophet (pbuh) as follows: 'If there remains not more than a day from the life of the earth, God Almighty will set the day so long until He appoints a person from my progeny.'(1)

Thereafter he says - Similarly it has come in Hadith Sufyan that the Holy Prophet has said: 'The life of this world shall not end until an Arab from my progeny will rule over the world.'(2)

The same book on the afore-said page and volume mentions a tradition from Ali (A.S.) who narrates from the Holy Prophet (pbuh) as follows: 'If there remains not more than a day from the life of the earth, surely God shall appoint a person from my progeny.' (3)

Tirmidhi in Vol. 2 of his 'Sahih' on Page 270 narrates a tradition from Abdullah who narrates from the Holy Prophet (pbuh) that he said: 'The life of this world shall not cease to exist until an Arab from my progeny shall come and rule.'(4)

Also, in the afore-said book on the same page of the same volume, a tradition has been narrated by Abu Hurair from the Holy Prophet (pbuh) as follows: 'If there remains not more than a day from the life of the earth, God Almighty will set the day so long until a person from my progeny shall come and rule.' Then he says: This 'hadith' is (acceptable) and (correct).(5)

Ibn-Hajar in his «Sawa'eq» on Page 97 says: Abu Ahmad, Abu Dawoud, Tirmidhi and Ibn Maaja have narrated from the Holy Prophet (pbuh) as saying: «If there remains not more than a day from the life of the earth, surely God shall appoint on that day a person from my progeny.» (6)

Ibn Hajr in the afore-mentioned book on Page 97 writes: Abu Dawoud and Tirmidhi narrate from the Holy Prophet (pbuh) as such:- «If there remains not more than a day from the life of the earth, surely God will set that day so long until He makes a person appear from my progeny.» (7)

Ibn Hajr, in the afore-mentioned book on Page 97 says: Abu Dawoud and Tirmidhi have narrated from the Holy Prophet (pbuh) as such: 'The life of this world shall not cease to exist until a person from my progeny shall come and rule.' (8)

Ibn Hajar in «Sawa'eq» (Page 97) writes: Abu Dawoud and Tirmidhi have narrated from the Holy Prophet (pbuh) as such: 'If there remains not more than a day from the life of the earth, God will set the day so long, until He appoints a person from my progeny.' Es'aaf-ur-Raghebeen too has narrated the same on Page 148.(9)

In 'Nur-ul-Absar' Page 229 a tradition has been narrated from Ali (as) who narrates from the Holy Prophet (pbuh) as such: 'If there remains not more than a day from the life of the earth, surely God will make a person from my progeny to appear' (on that day). Then the author continues: 'This hadith has also been narrated by Abu Dawoud in his 'Sunan'. (10)

In the same book on Page 231, it is narrated from Abu Huraira who narrates from the Holy Prophet (pbuh) that: 'Qiyamat shall not be established until a person from my progeny comes and rules.(11)

On Page 151 of Es'aaf-ur-Raghebben it is mentioned that Ahmad and Mawardi have narrated from the Holy Prophet (pbuh) who said:- «Glad-tidings to you (all) about Mahdi.» The same has come in 'Nur-ul-Absar' Pg. 151. (12)

Author of 'Nur-ul-Absar' writes on Page 230 as such: Ahmad narrates from Abu Sa'eed Khudri that the Holy Prophet (pbuh) has said: 'I give you glad-tidings about Mahdi.' (13)

In «Yanabi-ul-Mawadda» (Page 432) it is narrated from Qetaada who said: "'I asked Sa'eed-ibn-Maseeb: "Is there any truth in Mahdi?" He replied, 'Yes, he is the truth and he is from the progeny of Fatemah.'"(14)

In the same book, on the afore-said page it is narrated from Ali (as) who has narrated from the Holy Prophet (pbuh) that: 'If there remains not more than a day from the life of the earth, indeed God shall make a person from my progeny to appear.' (15)

Also, in the same book on Page 432, a tradition is narrated from 'Musnad' of Ahmad who has narrated from the Holy Prophet (pbuh) as such:- 'Qiyamat shall not be established until the earth is filled with cruelty and oppression. Then a person from my progeny shall appear and fill it with equity and Justice.(16)

Again, in the afore-mentioned book On Page 440 he writes: Mufeq-ibn-Ahmad Akhtab narrates a sermon of Khawarazm who takes reference from Abdur-Rahman-ibn-Abi Laili who narrates from his father who said:- 'In the battle of Khaibar, the Holy Prophet (pbuh) handed over the banner to Ali (A.S.) Then Allah ordained victory by his hands. Later, at Ghadir-e-Khum he reminded the people that Ali was the 'Maula' (Master) of all believing men and women and continued until he expressed few sentences about the virtues of Ali, Fatemah, Hassan and Hussein. Thereafter he said: «Gabriel has informed me that after my departure they shall be subject to injustice and, oppression and this oppression shall continue until a movement is brought about by their «Qa'em» and at that time their creed will be raised high, people shall turn towards their friendship, ill-speaking towards them shall diminish, those having unpleasantness for them shall be degraded and those eulogizing them shall increase. Such kind of events will occur when cities shall collide with each other and people become weak and helpless of respite. At that time shall appear the «Qa'em» (Mahdi) from my progeny and God will manifest the truth through him and extinguish the falsehood by his sword. Thereafter he said: 'O people, glad-tidings to you of relief and respite. Surely the promise of Allah is true and He never breaks it and His decree never gets refuted. He is All-Aware and All-seeing and the victory of Allah is near.(17)

In the same book on Page 447 he narrates from the book of «Fara'ed-us-Semtain» from Shaikh Abu Ishaaq Ibrahim-ibn-Yaqub who narrates from Jabir-ibn-Abdulla Ansari that the Holy Prophet has said: «The one who denies the emergence of Mahdi has surely disbelied to whatever God has revealed upon Muhammad and the one who denies the coming of Isa (Jesus) has surely become a disbeliever and the one who denies the revolt of Dajjal has surely become a disbeliever.»(18)

FROM THE SAYINGS OF ALI (as)

Nahjul-Balagha - Sermon No. 91 - Statements of Ali (A.S.) about Mahdi (A.S.). It is a part of the Sermon which he delivered with regards to Bani-Ummayid and their mischief towards the people until he reached to the point where he said: 'Thereafter, Allah shall unpleasantly widen difficulties and other occurrences upon you and (only) when the skin is cut off and the flesh is peeled off, the calamities will be obviated.' Then he continued, Allah shall bring this freedom and salvation through a person whose behaviour with that tribe will be harsh and severe and he shall make them suffer and he will quench them with bitter cups,(of hardships) and not extend them anything but sword.

Mutazali on exegetist, in the second volume of his book (Page 178), under the afore-mentioned Sermon says: 'This Sermon has been commemorated by a group of historians and it is common, recounted and reached the level of (Estefaze) (superabundance).

After the battle of Nahrawan Ali (A.S.) spoke in such words: No one except me had the courage to remain steadfast and withstand those seditions and turbulences. (Perhaps steadfastness at that time is refered to the Khawarij because, when the companions of Muawiya by the tricks of Amr-Aas fixed the Quran on top of spears and by this way wanted to save themselves from the blow of Hazrat's sword, the soldiers of Ali (A.S.) by witnessing such scene hesitated in obeying his commands and in fact opposed him stating: We should not dare draw our sword on these people. Or perhaps it refers to the battle against the people of Jamal where those participating in it were such personalities like Ayesha, Thalha and Zubair who were enjoying esteemed status and position in the eyes of the Muslims. For this reason they did not have the courage to fight them except Ali (A.S.) who fought and defeated them.)

Then Ibn-Abil Hadeed says: A statement which Razi has not mentioned is an address which he delivered about Bani-Ummayid, the contents of which are as follows:- «Then surely Allah will liberate the people by the hands of a person from our chaste family. May my father be sacrificed for him, whose mother is the best amongst the ladies of Paradise.» Thereafter he confesses to this point that Ali (A.S.) in this statement is referring to Mahdi, the Awaited one.

Nahjul-Balagha - Sermon No. 148 - Amongst the statements which Hazrat has spoken about the news of the unseen is the following sentence:- (O' people, this is the time for the occurrence of every promised event and the approach of things which you do not know. Know that whoever from among us (Ahle Bait - the family of the Holy Prophet) in the future will continue in our way with a burning lamp and will tread on the footsteps of the virtuous, in order to unfasten knots, to free slaves and to unite the divided. He would be in concealment from the people such that a track-finder would not find his footprints even though he may pursue him.)

Mutazali in the second volume of his book on Page 436 under this Sermon says: 'Hazrat here is referring to Mahdi, the Awaited one and his concealment.'

Nahjul-Balagha - Sermon No. 180. Amongst the sermons which Ali (A.S.) pointed out to the people of Kufa is the following sermon:- However, before narrating the sermon it is good to mention that Nufil Bukali relates that Ali (A.S.) delivered this sermon standing on a stone which Joda-ibn-Hubaira Mukhzumi had erected for him. Ali (A.S.) had a woollen apparel on his body, the belt of his sword was made of leaves and the sandals on his feet too were of palm leaves. His forehead had a hardened spot like the knees of a camel. He spoke as such:- 'He would be wearing the armour of wisdom, which he would have secured with all its conditions, such as full attention towards it, its (complete knowledge-and exclusive devotion to it. For him it is like a thing which he had lost and which he was now seeking, or his need which he was trying to meet. If Islam is in trouble he would feel forlorn like a traveller and like a (tired)camel beating the end of its tail and flattening its neck on the ground. He is the last of Allah's pleas and one of the vicegerents of His Prophets.'

Ibn-Abil Hadeed who has written a commentary on Nahjul-Balagha writes on Page 535 of his second volume as such: «Each group has interpreted these sayings according to their own expedient beliefs and the twelve Imamiah Shi'ites reckon that the person who has been referred in Hazrat's speech is none other than Mahdi.» Thereafter he writes: 'As I see it, it does not appear difficult to believe that reference over here has been made to 'AL -Q'AEM' from the progeny of Muhammad (S.A.W.A.).

The author of «Yanabi-ul-Muwadda» on page 46 narrates from the book 'Durrul-Munazzam' as such: 'Amongst the sayings of Amir-ul-Mumineen (A.S.)about Mahdi and/or Qa'em from the progeny of Muhammad is the following sermon: «The standard-bearer of Muhammadi and the ruler of Government of Ahmadi shall be manifested. He is someone who will revolt with his sword, straighten the crooked, conquer the earth and revive the forsaken aspects of religious obligations and Sunnah».

The author of «Yanabi-ul-Muwadda» on Page 467 writes: Some of the men of intuition and vision have narrated from Amir-ul-Mumineen as having said: «Soon God shall bring forth a group whom He Loves and they too are His lovers and the one who is like a stranger amongst them shall take over the Government. Verily, he shall be the 'MAHDI'; his face rosy and hair golden in colour. He will fill the earth with justice without any difficulty. In his very childhood, he shall get separated from his mother and father and from the view-point of training he shall be rare and matchless. He shall rule over the Muslim countries with utmost calm and security and time shall be favourable and friendly towards him. His words will be accepted; the young and old shall humbly obey him. He shall fill the earth with Justice just as it had been filled with oppression. Then, at that moment his Imamat shall reach its perfection and Viceregency will be established for him. Moreover, Allah will make the dead to rise from their graves and return them back to this world. Then, like people who get up from their morning sleep, they shall see nothing but their own houses. The land will flourish and by blessing of his (i.e. Mahdi's) existence, it shall become fresh and fruitful. Seditions and disturbances shall vanish and blessings and welfare will increase manifold.

(salam)

Jazak Allah bil Khair

Some other verses I recall:

[shakir 2:2-3] (It) is a guide to those who guard (against evil), those who believe in the unseen and keep up prayer and spend out of what We have given them.

[shakir 3:200] O you who believe! be patient and excel in patience and remain steadfast, and be careful of (your duty to) Allah, that you may be successful.

[shakir 9:33] He it is Who sent His Messenger with guidance and the religion of truth, that He might cause it to prevail over all religions, though the polytheists may be averse.

[shakir 9:36] Surely the number of months with Allah is twelve months in Allah's ordinance since the day when He created the heavens and the earth

[shakir 11:86] What remains with Allah is better for you if you are believers, and I am not a keeper over you.

[shakir 17:33] And do not kill any one whom Allah has forbidden, except for a just cause, and whoever is slain unjustly, We have indeed given to his heir authority

[shakir 39:69] And the earth shall beam with the light of its Lord, and the Book shall be laid down, and the prophets and the witnesses shall be brought up, and judgment shall be given between them with justice, and they shall not be dealt with unjustly.

[shakir 48:28] He it is Who sent His Messenger with the guidance and the true religion that He may make it prevail over all the religions; and Allah is enough for a witness.

[shakir 57:17] Know that Allah gives life to the earth after its death; indeed, We have made the communications clear to you that you may understand.

[shakir 61:9] He it is Who sent His Messenger with the guidance and the true religion, that He may make it overcome the religions, all of them, though the polytheists may be averse.

[shakir 64:8] Therefore believe in Allah and His Messenger and the Light which We have revealed; and Allah is Aware of what you do.

[shakir 67:30] Say: Have you considered if your water should go down, who is it then that will bring you flowing water?

[shakir 81:15,16] But nay! I swear by the stars, that run their course (and) hide themselves

--

Zahra