Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله
Sign in to follow this  
phoenix

Code of Practice

Rate this topic

Im pretty sure it refers to laws for Muslims in Non-Muslim countries-this is the meaning of West. It could also include eastern countries which are non-muslim if Im not mistaken. This is because some laws eg for banking are different in non-Muslim countries compared to muslim countries.

However most of the laws in the book are universal eg laws of prayer , fasting etc. But some of the laws are important only to those living in Non-Muslim countries as they are to do with problems that may not occur in Muslim Countries eg freqeunt encounters with Non-Muslims at work, buying food from non-Muslims, encountering certain types of music perhaps etc etc.

No, the book that was approved by Agha Sistani is for those in the west. He gives different rulings for those living in the west.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

he does? can u give me some examples?

Arman

Thanks for that. The second question would have been valid if the answer to the first question of my post was in the affirmative.

So for any of the verdicts that are in this book (which incidentally is titled as Jadeed Fiqhi Masa'il in Urdu and Persian <<-- :unsure: about this; seem to have misplaced my Persian copy), if such matters present themselves to people in the East, they have to specifically clarify with the local representative or email the marja''s office, huh?

Also like Sman said, the rulings given in it are pretty universal (are laws on cheating, prayers etc only for the Westerners?), some of which are a repeat of those given in his risalah Islamic Laws.

The rulings in the book are supposed to have been taken from the book Fiqha li'l Mughtaribeen; from the little that I understand of Arabic, this probably translates to Jurisprudence for the Strangers. No mention of West or the like. Most of us in Eastern kuffar-dominated countries are more like strangers here :squeez: , facing greater number of problems than Shi'as in the West (read najasat of infidels etc).

If what you say is correct, then could you clarify this -->>

Islamic Laws

107. An infidel i.e. a person who does not believe in Allah and His Oneness, is najis. Similarly, Ghulat who believe in any of the holy twelve Imams as God, or that they are incarnations of God, and Khawarij and Nawasib who express enmity towards th e holy Imams, are also najis. And similar is the case of those who deny Prophethood, or any of the necessary laws of Islam, like, namaz and fasting, which are believed by the Muslims as a part of Islam, and which they also know as such.

As regards the people of the Book (i.e. the Jews and the Christians) who do not accept the Prophethood of Prophet Muhammad bin Abdullah (Peace be upon him and his progeny), they are commonly considered najis, but it is not improbable that they are Pak. Ho wever, it is better to avoid them.

Points to be noted

1) Anyone who does not believe in Allah and His Oneness, is najis. Rules out Trinitarians?

2) Ahlul Kitaab mentioned are only Jews and Christians; are better avoided though there's a probability they might be Pak.

Code of Practice

35. The Ahlul Kitab (that is, the Jews, the Christians and the Zoroastrians) are ritually pure (tahir) as long as you do not know that they have become ritually impure (najis) by coming into contact with an impure object. You can follow this ruling when dealing with them.

Points to consider

1) No mention about Oneness; so Trinitarians are in?

2) Ahlul Kitaab include Jews, Christians and Zoroastrians; the rule is clear about their being ritually pure; no ihtiyaat whatsoever.

Anyhow I have emailed the office to confirm about the book's validity. And I am a sister. :)

Sman

Thanks; I was of the same view as yourself especially since I am in a non-Muslim country. However I have noticed that the copy of Code of Practice in print (not downloaded from the Net and printed) is a bit different form that available online; there are discrepancies in the online version, even the fatwa numbers are different. Like the ruling which I mentioned above is ruling #33 in my hard copy.

Thanks for your opinion.

W/S

I received the answer to the question around two days back. The rulings in the book are for everyone.

post-15999-1186264102_thumb.jpg

W/S

Edited by phoenix

This "code of practice for muslims in the west" is completely absurd. Islam doesnt change when you live in a western country. If we change our laws to suit the western laws then we are destroying Islam from within. That transcript above fails to answer anything and I wouldnt be at all surprised if those questions had positive answers.

There are many fatwas in this book that are absolutely nonsensical eg allowing ribaa and allowing muslim women to wear perfume in front of men!!! furthermore the reasoning behind those rulings are laughable.

http://www.shiachat.com/forum/index.php?sh...10entry721310

Edited by Ābu Dhar

(salam)

Abu Dhar...I won't reply to what you said. You have been replied properly I think by the Board Administration :P.

And pheonix, it must be clear to you now as you mentioned. Can you tell me where did you actually e-mail these questions of yours? I mean on which e-mail address, I sent a few questions in beginning of last month, I have not got their replies yet!

I would love to have the e-mail address where you asked these questions.

Plus, I don't know if the Books should have been named like that or not. But it includes Islamic Rulings, which fit on every muslim, regardless of the fact that he/she is living in the East or in the West. But I think it's named like this because I think most of the Rules written in it are faced by brothers and sisters in West, in Non-Muslim countries. That's why it has been named like that.

But that does not mean that the Rules are not for those who are living in the East and in Muslim countries.

(salam)

Brother Armaan, I have sent my questions to the main site, sistani.org, it was beginning of last month when I sent and I still am waiting for their reply!!!

My Marja is Ayatollah Sistani but I had to ask question from the Office of Ayatollah Khamanaee due to this reason!

(bismillah)

The title of the book has the name it does because the compiler of the rulings (Sayyid Abdul Hadi Al-Hakeem) gathered them from those submitted to Sayyid Seestani's liason office in London. Thus, it was a collection of answers to questions from people in the West. However, a ruling is a ruling and it applies to all of the Sayyid's followers, anywhere in the world.

As for the ruling regarding the Ahlul Kitab, Islamic Laws is a translation of a risala which is always expected to articulate more on the rulings. A Code of Practice is only a collection of fatwas and is not authored by the Sayyid so that is why the rulings are more concise. The ruling in both is the same, it is only a matter of how it is expressed. In Islamic Laws, the Sayyid is trying to give an indication that there are conflicting opinions on the matter and his opinion of them being tahir is not given with total ease of mind (the bit about them probably being tahir is actually his fatwa). In A Code of Practice brevity is necessary so only the general ruling is quoted so as to maximise clarity.

Reading a risala and understanding it fully is a skill, even more so when it is translated.