Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله
delight

Founder of christanity?

Rate this topic

Hi there!

I think a large part of the problem scholars face is that the issue goes beyond language to so much else.

The example I ran of Matthew 8:20 perhaps illustrates this. Your earlier translation is spot on in terms of the contemporary meaning of the phrase 'Son of Man', and as one sentence taken on its own. However look at the Matthew 8 context (immediate, wider and Gospel-wide), and it is generally agreed that Jesus is talking about himself.

But why use a phrase meaning 'humanity' or 'someone', where the word 'I' should be? That's where the problem comes.

A further issue is that the meaning of 'Son of Man' varied over time. The usage seen in the Psalms changed following Daniel and subsequent messianic interpretation before/at the time of Jesus.

I think we can do work with the usage of Son of Man in Mark 13,14 without necessarily having to get at its meaning too closely, but I'll do that next week for sake of brevity. If Jesus did use the phrase of himself, in an original and unusual way, it is important to ask what we can learn from that.

On a side note, Jeremias identifies Jesus' Aramaic as a Galilean version of western Aramaic, which has minor differences with the Aramaic spoken in Judea. Matthew 26:73 is possibly evidence here.