Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله

Beard

Rate this topic

• Advanced Member

Salaam,

I've noticed that a lot of Muslims seem to shave the moustache bit above their lip off but then have an extremely long beard underneath.

However, I am sure I have read somewhere that Muslims must keep relatively short beards in order so that they were not mistaken for being Jews.

Does anyone know the exact rules for keeping a beard - are the winter warmer types kept by Wahabbis really necessary?

Wa Salaam

• Advanced Member
Salaam,

I've noticed that a lot of Muslims seem to shave the moustache bit above their lip off but then have an extremely long beard underneath.

However, I am sure I have read somewhere that Muslims must keep relatively short beards in order so that they were not mistaken for being Jews.

Does anyone know the exact rules for keeping a beard - are the winter warmer types kept by Wahabbis really necessary?

Wa Salaam

Aslamo 3alikum,

The beard which can be seen from 30 (or 40) steps is fine..

Generally, Shias have short beard, like this one:

sayedmahdi.jpg

But more or less ALL the Marajas have long beard..

May be because there are certain duas, which one have to recite while holding his beard..

But, it is not allowed (as far as I know) to have an extremely long beard or to have a dirty ugly beard..

ma'salama

• Advanced Member

(salam),

Best option is to refer it to your scholar. There are different interpretations of a beard.

for Syed Seestanis' Muqallids, hair on the chin is sufficient and counts as a beard.

However, this is not the case for other scholars such as Ayatollah Khamanei.

Wa'salaam

Asad Ali.

• Veteran Member

(bismillah)

(salam)

for Syed Seestanis' Muqallids, hair on the chin is sufficient and counts as a beard

I thought it was the opposite :blink:

Q115: Some men shave their beard and leave some hair on the chin alone. Is this sufficient by the shari'ah?

A: [it is not sufficient]. (FM, p. 434)

I thought the beard should be no longer than one handful - or something on those lines?

It's considered makruh to be longer than a fistful. Sunnis on the other hand, believe it should be AT LEAST as long as a fistful and hence the foot-long beards on Wahabbis (this was actually implemented by Taliban as law).

Some traditions on growing a beard from Tahdhib ul Islam:

----------------------------------

[4] ETIQUETTE OF GROWING ONE'S BEARD

It should be remembered that keeping a beard of normal length is commendable. It should be neither too long nor too short. It is Makruh to have one's beard longer than a Musht (i.e. the length of a closed fist), and is even considered Haram (non-permissible).

It is generally accepted among the scholars that excepting the hair on the cheeks and below the lower lip, shaving the beard on both sides is non-permissible (i.e. Haram); and it should be cut in such a manner that it does not resemble a shave.

Another tradition states that one should keep one's hand on the beard and the portion of beard escaping the hand should be cut off.

According to a tradition Muhammad bin Muslim states that he heard Imam Muhammad Baqir (A.S.) ordering his barber to round his beard.

Another tradition states that Imam Muhammad Baqir (A.S.) used to keep the side-burns and shave off the hair on his neck.

Ali, the son of Imam Jaa'-far Sadiq (A.S.) asked his elder brother Imam Musa Kazim (A.S.) how to lessen the hair of a thick beard. The Imam replied that they should be thinned from the front and the sides.

Another tradition related to Imam Ali (A.S.) states that in the ancient days there existed a group of people who used to shave their beard and raise their moustaches. As a punishment for this, they were deformed by Allah.

A tradition from the Holy Prophet (S.A.) states that when Allah forgave Adam's repentance, Adam bowed down before Allah in thanks-giving and while getting up, looked towards the sky and prayed to Allah to increase his beauty. Hardly a little time had elapsed when a dark and thick beard grew up out on his face. As he had no beard before, Adam inquired Allah about it, and Allah revealed that it will be an asset for him and his offsprings on the Day of Judgement.

• Veteran Member

(bismillah)

(salam)

As long as we're on beards, might as well mention something about mustaches too. From the same book:

------------------------------------------

[3] ADVANTAGES OF CUTTING THE ENDS OF MOUSTACHES

Cutting the ends of moustache is highly commendable (Sunnat-e-Muwakkidah). It is better to cut them sharply and according to the tradition of the Holy Prophet (S.A.) when one lets the moustache grow one is succumbing to the Satan.

According to a tradition from Imam Jaa'-far Sadiq (A.S.) cutting of the ends of moustaches decreases grief, sorrow and superstitions and by doing this one is also performing the Sunnah of the Holy Prophet (S.A.).

Imam Jaa'-far Sadiq (A.S.) used to cut his moustaches till the roots of the hair and he has also stated that cutting nails on Friday prevents one from the disease of dandruff from that Friday to the next Friday.

According to the Holy Prophet (S.A.) the moustaches should be lower than the upper lip.

Another tradition states that a person came to Imam Jaa'-far Sadiq (A.S>) and asked for a prayer which will increase his income or daily bread. He was asked by the Imam to cut his moustaches and nails on a Friday.

Another tradition from the same Imam (A.S.) states that if a person cuts his moustaches and nails on Friday during which he recites the following:

BISMILLAAHI WA BILLAAHI WA A'LAA SUNNATI MUH'AMMADIN'W WA AALI MUHAMMAD

[in the name of Allah, and by Allah and according to the Sunnah of Muhammad and Aali Muhammad.]

then Allah will give him the reward of freeing as many slaves from the children of Ismail as many segments of the nails and hair he cuts, and he will not suffer from any illness except the illness of death.

A tradition from the Holy Prophet (S.A.) also requires the cutting of the hair of the nose.

• Advanced Member

Aslamo 3alikum,

It should be remembered that keeping a beard of normal length is commendable. It should be neither too long nor too short. It is Makruh to have one's beard longer than a Musht (i.e. the length of a closed fist), and is even considered Haram (non-permissible).

NAJAFI.JPG

Sayyid Marashi Najafi

gulpaygani1.JPG

Sayyid Gulpaygani

4.jpg

Sayyid Seestani

SHAHROUDI.JPG

Sayyid Husseini Shahroudi

fazel.jpg

Sheikh Fazel Lankarani

I think their beards are longer than Musht.

ma'salama

• Veteran Member

(bismillah)

(salam)

Actually all of their beards and those of other maraje, from the chin down to the longest end, are of the same length. All of them look like they deliberately chose to keep their beards that length and not more or less.

Their beards look much longer because of the hair on the face, but from the bottom of the chin down, it's only about 3 or 4 inches long.

According to a tradition Muhammad bin Muslim states that he heard Imam Muhammad Baqir (A.S.) ordering his barber to round his beard.

I think Sayyid Seestani has a nicely rounded beard :)

4.jpg

Edited by Ali786

sallam

What abt the moustache?

Yahya A.S. related to me from Malik A.S. from Abu Bakr ibn Nafi A.S. from his father Nafi A.S. from Abdullah ibn Umar A.S. that the Messenger of Allah, may Allah bless him and grant him peace, ordered the moustache to be trimmed and the beard to be left. - Imam Malik's Muwatta Book 51, Number 51.1.1

ALSO

2) The teachings of Ammar Bin Yaasir, Abdullah Ibn Umar, Umar, and Jaabir (R.A.), indicate that ALL used to keep beards that were one fist length or more. Jaabir (R.A.) had said: "We used to grow long beards and only during Hajj and Umrah did we trim them to the required length (i.e. fist length)."

3) Ali also had a large beard. As mentioned in Tabaqaat Ibn Sa’d (3/114), Taareekhul-Khulafaa‘lis-Suyootee (p. 102, 116, 129).

• Advanced Member

Salam

I have once asked sayed Hadi al-mudaressi and he said that a man should hold his beard until its a hand full and cut the rest of it... because having a 'too' long beard is a sign of 7amaka (man!! look at the beards that the wahabis have).

but this is what i am sure of.

thank you and wal salam

• Advanced Member
sallam

What abt the moustache?

Yahya A.S. related to me from Malik A.S. from Abu Bakr ibn Nafi A.S. from his father Nafi A.S. from Abdullah ibn Umar A.S. that the Messenger of Allah, may Allah bless him and grant him peace, ordered the moustache to be trimmed and the beard to be left. - Imam Malik's Muwatta Book 51, Number 51.1.1

ALSO

2) The teachings of Ammar Bin Yaasir, Abdullah Ibn Umar, Umar, and Jaabir (R.A.), indicate that ALL used to keep beards that were one fist length or more. Jaabir (R.A.) had said: "We used to grow long beards and only during Hajj and Umrah did we trim them to the required length (i.e. fist length)."

3) Ali also had a large beard. As mentioned in Tabaqaat Ibn Sa’d (3/114), Taareekhul-Khulafaa‘lis-Suyootee (p. 102, 116, 129).

Aslamo 3alikum,

Bro. I have heard that according to shias, you should trim your moustaches and shouldn't completely shave them off or to let them grow wildly (long, think moustaches represents bad people)..

ma'salama :)

• 4 weeks later...
  • Advanced Member
Sallam

Hows that enough. Isnt that imitating the kuffar to? :blink: :unsure:

Aslamo 3alikum,

I think Pant/Shirt is also allowed by all the 5 Fiqhs isn't it also imitating the kuffars? :blink:

And there are so many other things also.. which you can say that we have import it from the Kuffars..

ma'salama