Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
ShiaChat.com
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله

Khutbas of the first three caliphs

Rate this topic

• Advanced Member

(salam)

I have been trying to find any khutbas of the first three caliphs but with no success.. I know the first gave one but I don't know where it is and what it was about.. does anyone have any links to where I might be able to find these khutbas?

Wassalaam (Peace be upon all)

• Advanced Member

(salam)

(salam)

Insha'Allaah Ta'aala I will try to find some for you.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thanks.. I got three of them here as well.. from the 1st caliph

Sermons of the 1st caliph

Something I foung interesting though is in this first one...

Inaugural address. On assuming office, he delivered the following address, which is a unique document for the guidance of all rulers "Gentlemen, I have been placed in authority, though by Allah I was averse to the assumption of authority. I would have been pleased if any of you had taken over the office, and I would have assisted him. I have been made to rule over you though I am not the most worthy among you. If you expect me to act as did the Holy Prophet of God, know that I cannot do so, for the Apostle of God was a servant whom the Lord honored with His inspiration and preserved him thereby from error I am an ordinary mortal and not better than any of you. Therefore, watch over me. When you see that I am steadfast and obey Allah and His Prophet, then obey me when you see that I turn aside from the right path do not obey me. Help me if I am in the right; set me right if I am in the wrong. Know that I have a devil that seizes upon me. Therefore, when you see me enraged avoid me for at that time I cannot be influenced by your counsels or glad salutations. We have the Quran for our guidance. We have also with us the instructions of the Holy Prophet. These will be our unerring guides. Know O men that piety is the most solid goodness, and the vilest of what is evil is vice. Truth is a trust, falsehood a treason. The weak among you shall be strong with me till God willing his rights have been vindicated; and the strong among you shall be weak with me till, if the Lord wills, I have taken what is due from him."

Please post anymore if you find them

Wassalaam (Peace be upon you)

(salam)

I found this

After the assumption of office as the second Caliph, Umar soon realized that he was more feared than loved. Abu Bakr, his predecessor, was tender and soft hearted. Whenever he appeared in the streets of Madina, the children ran to him saying "Father, Father."

On the occasion of the first Friday prayer after his assumption of office as Caliph, Umar addressed the faithful assembled in the mosque of the Prophet in the following terms:

"Brethren, it has come to my notice that the people are afraid of me. They say when the Holy Prophet was alive, Umar was harsh to us. During the caliphate of Abu Bakr, Umar was hard and stern. Now that he has become the Caliph himself, God knows how hard he will be. Whoever has said this is not wrong in his assessment.

"The truth of the matter is that I was the slave and servant of the Holy Prophet. The Holy Prophet was most kind hearted, liberal and generous. In contrast I was hard and harsh. Sometimes he ignored my point of view. There were occasions when he agreed with me. Till the death of the Holy Prophet that remained the situation between him and me. Thank God, the Holy Prophet was pleased with me. Though the Holy Prophet sometimes accepted my advice, and sometimes turned it down, yet he approved of my conduct.

"During the caliphate of Abu Bakr my role remained the same. Abu Bakr was most soft hearted and tender. It was my business to bring the other side of the picture to his notice. He always took my point of view into consideration, but the ultimate decision lay with him. Sometimes he agreed with me, and I acted as his agent to enforce a decision which appeared to be harsh. Sometimes he did not agree with me, and I had to remain quiet. I am happy that throughout the period of his office, Abu Bakr approved of my conduct, and ultimately nominated me as his successor, although I did not covet the office.

"Now that the entire responsibility has come to vest in me, know ye brethren that you will feel a change in me. I will no longer be hard and stern in all matters. For those who practice tyranny and deprive others of their rights, I will be harsh and stern, but for those who follow the law, and are devoted to religion, I will be most soft and tender. I will not tolerate any person make any excess. He who commits any tyranny, him I will sternly call to account. I will be harsh and stern against the aggressor, but I will be a pillar of strength for the weak and the meek. They will find in me their best friend.

"Friends you have some rights on me, and I tell you of these rights, so that you may be in a position to call me to account. These rights are:

Firstly, that I should not exact any tax or other levy from you not authorized by law;

Secondly, that whatever taxes are lawfully realized from you are spent in your best interests;

Thirdly, it is incumbent on me that I should protect the frontiers of your land;

Fourthly, it is my duty to promote your prosperity and look after your interests;

and Fifthly, it is my obligation to do justice.

"O servants of God, continue to fear God. Suppress your selfish motives and work for the solidarity of the Muslims as a whole. In running the State, you are my partners. Help me with your sound advice. If I follow the right path laid down by God and His Prophet follow me. If I deviate, correct me. Strengthen me with your advice and suggestions. Let us pray for the glory of Islam."

• Advanced Member
^ I was going to post that for you!

What do you mean by that?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Oh.. Error free?.. I meant infallible.. the Hadrat Abu bakr made a clear distinction between the Prophet (saww&HP).. himself.. the people

Guess I am just being biased but its there

And whats up with the sunni sites not posting any sermons of Hadrat Ali(as)??.. the 3rd is not there at all.. anyone find a sermon for the 3rd?

Edited by Zafaryab
  • Advanced Member

Hmm.. I have this book called 'Words of Advice from the Salaf" by Saleem al-Hilaalee. It has sermons and words of advice from Ali (as), Umar, and some other companions/salaf. Surprisingly, none from Abu Bakr or Uthman though.

Anyway, Umar's sermon is quite good in it, talking about fair judgement, equality and other things. Ali's (as)advice is the one he gave to Kumayl, and is by far the most eloquent in the whole book.

• Advanced Member

So does it show anywhere in any speach other their evil intent or plotting to steal power. Please remeber I am refering to words please don't say their action are different because there are dispute of history .

Edited by jalal27
  • Advanced Member

actually three sides, "yours, mine, and the truth" as it's often said. people have a hard time being truly objective. But my point still stands, do you really expect to come across some public speech by them saying they did bad things, had evil intentions, etc.? two words of advice: get real!

• Advanced Member
Hmm.. I have this book called 'Words of Advice from the Salaf" by Saleem al-Hilaalee. It has sermons and words of advice from Ali (as), Umar, and some other companions/salaf. Surprisingly, none from Abu Bakr or Uthman though.

Anyway, Umar's sermon is quite good in it, talking about fair judgement, equality and other things. Ali's (as)advice is the one he gave to Kumayl, and is by far the most eloquent in the whole book.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

(salam) bro taha.. I didn't say Umar's speech is bad or anything.. its just that I don't like him because he disobeyed the Prophet (saww&HP) on his deathbed and called him whatever he did.. even from a sunni point of view.. he should had been considered wajibul-qatl

• Advanced Member

But how can you tell their action when you get info the is from as you said three sides . You can only infer to the best of our senses. Hence only Allah knows truth. Point of example read a few books and find out how WWII ended it is very interesting the three sides you will hear from.

• Advanced Member

I guess you have to collect as much info from both sides, and try to find the third side from among them (part of the reason we've been blessed with intellect and the duty to discern truth from falsehood and good from evil). But let's face it, people rarely lie and say they do BAD things when in truth they are doing good. Rather it is the reverse, they say they do good when their acts are bad.

Edited by Aliya
  • Advanced Member

I'm gonna forego any "deluded non-shia" remarks ;) to a degree what you say is true, but the fact is the onus is on us to open our minds to truth no matter where it comes from, rather than be blinded by our own biases.

• Advanced Member

True but Allah controls all perspectives so we are all better suited praying Allah open our eyes to truth rather then cutting and pasting cuase barring you and a few most don't even read what they paste or the repeat what they have heard .

(salam)

both of what you say is true

And (as for) those who strive hard for Us, We will most certainly guide them in Our ways; and Allah is most surely with the doers of good.

(All) people are a single nation; so Allah raised prophets as bearers of good news and as warners, and He revealed with them the Book with truth, that it might judge between people in that in which they differed; and none but the very people who were given it differed about it after clear arguments had come to them, revolting among themselves; so Allah has guided by His will those who believe to the truth about which they differed and Allah guides whom He pleases to the right path.

Or do you think that you would enter the garden while yet the state of those who have passed away before you has not come upon you; distress and affliction befell them and they were shaken violently, so that the Messenger and those who believed with him said: When will the help of Allah come? Now surely the help of Allah is nigh!

(all shakir translations)

May Allah (swt) hasten the appearance of Imam Mahdi (as) !