Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
ShiaChat.com
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله

Falibility of the Companions

Rate this topic

• Advanced Member

(salam)

I have heard many times from my sunni brethren that everyone including the companions are fallible and can make mistakes but I have yet to hear of any of these mistakes from them. This makes me wonder if the companions are really considered fallible amoung the Ahl-e-suuna. If they are infact not perfect and can commit sins.. would my sunni brethren please present a list of what sins they committed cuz I don't find many in sunni hadith books.. one or two contradictions but not many.

Wassalaam (Peace be upon you all)

• Advanced Member

According to the ahlus-sunnah, the individual companions were fallible, and there were often disagreements between them (e.g. Ubayy bin Ka'b vs. Ibn Mas'ood, or Ibn Abbas vs. Ibn Zubair).

However, as a whole, the ijma' of the companions as a whole is second only to the Quran and sunnah. The reason for that being that they are given the status of the carriers of the sunnah, and since the sunnah is preserved, the collective unanimity of sahaba's opinion is also infallible in a sense to ensure the preservation of the sunnah.

It is kind of similar to the status of the imams (as) in shi'ism. Since they are given the status of the conveying the sunnah, they are given infallibility in that regard. However, unlike sunnis, shias believe that the imams were infallible in all matters because they were not only carriers of the sunnah but also guides and role models.

Please refer to Bilal Phillips' 'The Evolution of Fiqh' for more information on the issues of fallibility, disagreements and ijma' of the sahabah.

Edited by tahasyed
  • Advanced Member

(salam) bro taha

According to the ahlus-sunnah, the individual companions were fallible, and there were often disagreements between them (e.g. Ubayy bin Ka'b vs. Ibn Mas'ood, or Ibn Abbas vs. Ibn Zubair).

However, as a whole, the ijma' of the companions as a whole is second only to the Quran and sunnah. The reason for that being that they are given the status of the carriers of the sunnah, and since the sunnah is preserved, the collective unanimity of sahaba's opinion is also infallible in a sense to ensure the preservation of the sunnah.

Okay.. Got the point.. so INDIVIDUALLY they are fallible.. but when ALL of their unanimous opinions are combined.. they become infallible. What about the contradictions then? Who decides who is correct?

Please refer to Bilal Phillips' 'The Evolution of Fiqh' for more information on the issues of fallibility, disagreements and ijma' of the sahabah.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Is this book considered a reliable source among the sunnis?