Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله

Would you obey your husband...

Rate this topic

kareema

it would be nice if spouses could agree on these sorts of things without having to delve into the realm of "right" and "obey". i mean, if i were married, i would like to do whatever would make my husband happy, but i would hope that he would not force me to do something that would make me uncomfortable. islam encourages compassion and understanding between people especially spouses.

the issue is of course not clothes but ideological since clothing is a representation of ideology. these issues should be dealt with BEFORE marriage. of course people change and sometimes they have to be dealt with afterwards but should be apparent beforehand.

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Advanced Member
(salam)

How can you know that the hijab style which you prefer at the moment of marriage will be the same for the rest of your life? Don't people change their style sometimes? Just wondering... :)

(salam)

That is why you gotta asked for a complete freedom on all womenly issues. That would cover alot I think. When you dont know the specifics..always goes for the widest you can go.

• Advanced Member

umm..on what lines is he forbiding this? Because of personal preference? You can't forbid someone not to be a certain way because of personal preference. If it is because of this, then he really has no right if the hijab is modest and covering. A good husband would hint at his personal preference and ask nicely, and a good wife would want to please him. No obligation or forbiding, just mutual understanding and love.

If it is because of improper hijab, that's another story :P

• 1 month later...
  • 7 months later...
  • Advanced Member
Selam alaycom,

Yes, I listen to my husband. He prefers me to wear niqab.

Peace,

Um Ali

So does my hubby also um Ali.And I will obey him on that.But when my ex husband wanted me to wear shorter jackets and be more modern(he HATED jilbabs)I refused to obey him on that.

• Advanced Member
A woman came to the Prophet( (pbuh) and asked him:

"What are the rights of a husband over his wife?"

The Prophet (pbuh) said:

"That she follows her husband, does not disobey him and does not give anything in charity without his permission, and does not keep mustahib fasts without his permission. And when he decides to be intimate with her, she does not refuse even if she is riding on a camel at that time. And that she does not leave the house without his consent. If she does that, the angels of the world and the sky will keep on cursing her until she returns to home."

Traditions from the Prophet (pbuh) tell us that the rights of husband over wives are that she wears perfume and jewellry and good clothes and if he intends to be intimate, she makes herself available for him.

The Prophet (pbuh) said: "If there had been an order to do sajdah to anyone besides Allah, I would have commanded the wives to do sajdah to their husbands. And the wife whose husband calls her to bed and she delays to the extent that he goes to sleep, the angels curse that woman till the time he wakes up."

Imam Jaffar e Sadiq(as) said: "A woman who tells her husband that she has seen no good in him, wastes all her good deeds."

Hence, women should try as much as possible to keep their husbands happy. If the husband is pleased, Allah and the Prophet (pbuh) are also pleased. And if he is unhappy, then they too are unhappy.

Ref: Tohfatul-awam, Maqbool Jadeed. Chapter: Rights of husbands and wives, Pg. 272.

I know this is an old topic but what if the husband doesn't care at all about islam,refuses verses in Quran and hadiths,doesn't care to pray even the wife beg on her knees to please make him pray and he neglects the wife's right...And doesn't provide for her at all but use his money on other women...What respect can this kind of husband THEN demand from his wife...This happened to me and I completely lost all respect for him.Since he stopped caring about islam(he prayed when we married)i stopped respecting him and did what I pleased.I respected him so much when e was practicing... He cared more about Slayer,Metallica,Megadeth,Venom,Motley Crue etc etc than about Allah so I stopped respecing him and to obey him.

• Advanced Member

Traditions from the Prophet tell us that the rights of husband over wives are that she wears perfume and jewellry and good clothes and if he intends to be intimate, she makes herself available for him.

Well if that was the right upon my ex hubby that I wore perfume and jewellry and good clothes then he should have bought some for me...But no,he bought to other women.I didn't get much from him.

• Advanced Member

10 years ago it would be more difficult for me to obey a husband if he wanted me to use niqab or chador.Now that I have grown older I can more easy deal with it and obey more easy than 10 year ago.I want to obey my future hubby on his wish about me using niqab and be at home wife instead of working out.