Sign in to follow this  
Baatil Ka Kaatil

Wives = Ahlul Bayt?

Rate this topic

(salam),

Yazid b. Hayyan reported: We went to him (Zaid b. Arqam) and said to him. You have found goodness (for you had the honour) to live in the company of Allah's Messenger (may peace be upon him) and offered prayer behind him, and the rest of the hadith is the same but with this variation of wording that lie said: Behold, for I am leaving amongst you two weighty things, one of which is the Book of Allah, the Exalted and Glorious, and that is the rope of Allah. He who holds it fast would be on right guidance and he who abandons it would be in error, and in this (hadith) these words are also found: We said: Who are amongst the members of the household? Aren't the wives (of the Holy Prophet) included amongst the members of his house hold? Thereupon he said: No, by Allah, a woman lives with a man (as his wife) for a certain period; he then divorces her and she goes back to her parents and to her people; the members of his household include his ownself and his kith and kin (who are related to him by blood) and for him the acceptance of Zakat is prohibited.

Sahih Al Muslim, Book Number 31, Hadith Number 5923.

Subanallah.

Wa'salaam

Asad Ali.

Edited by Baatil Ka Kaatil

Assalamu alaikum wa rahmatullahi wa barakatuhu,

I had asked a question similar to this once. Regarding this hadith and #5920. The responce I got was that, that saying was an opinion of one of the sahabah. But in Sunan Abu Dawood or Maliks muwata there is a hadith where the prophet (saw) says the same thing. I'll try to look for that hadith.

Either way, even if a sahabah said that, it's something.

Salam.

Salam alaikum,

Well I asked this to that Muawiyah dude lol. And that was his answer. The companion is the one that says the last part. But he might be referring to what the prophet (saw) said i'm not sure.

The first part is a narration of the Prophet (saw). But the second part, is companions asking Zaid if the wives are the members of the household. Zaid answers, I dont'know if it's Zaid's opinion or Zaid talking about what the Prophet (saw) had told him or taught him.

Salamz

(salam),

Yaar, that Hadith clearly states NO. So how can anyone refute it by saying it is the opinion of a Sahaba?

And even if it is..it makes you wonder doesn't it :P...

But the sad thing is no Sunnis have come here to comment?

Wa'salaam

Asad Ali.

Salam alaikum wa rahmatullah bro Baatil ka kaatil,

you're right it still clearly says the wives are not a part of the household in that case. What about the verse 33:33 ....sunni scholars also agree that it is about Ali , Hussain, and Hassan..the ahlul bayt. I think the evidence of who are the ahlul bayt in these cases is clear.

:) kh

just wondering, the hadith a couple above it (5920)

it's more specific about who's in ahlul bait.

it still says it's not the wives, but it mentions

" 'Ali and the offspring of 'Ali, 'Aqil and the offspring of 'Aqil and the offspring of Ja'far and the offspring of 'Abbas. "

does it backs up the wives argument, but do we agree with the above mentioned too. Sorry for the lack of knowledge, but who is 'aqil and ja'far and 'abbas in this case. do we class them as ahlul bait too?

thanks

btw I would've thought 7adith el kisa2 is mega clear for any sunnis about verse 33.33 and who in fact ahlul bait are.

I think to them anyone who spoke to the prophet seems to be ahlul bait. Saw some sheikh on arab TV wanting to include everybody in ahlul bait lol

salaam

Edited by Shi3abro_uk

thanks bro.

however, to be fair to the sunnis, it still doesn't restrict the ahlul bait to the five (including the prophet) or the other Imams.

not that I'm disagreein with you mate, as your point is clear for all sunnis to see that the wives are NOT ahlul bait in this case (or in 33:33)

but 7adith al kisa2 is even clearer :D

from sahih muslim:

'A'isha reported that Allah's Apostle (may peace be upon him) went out one norning wearing a striped cloak of the black camel's hair that there came Hasan b. 'Ali. He wrapped hitn under it, then came Husain and he wrapped him under it along with the other one (Hasan). Then came Fatima and he took her under it, then came 'Ali and he also took him under it and then said: Allah only desires to take away any uncleanliness from you, O people of the household, and purify you (thorough purifying)

it's even Aisha narratin it ironically

Also the fact that the hadith you've mentioned above comes under the category of the merits of Imam Ali says it all :)

Well, it seems not enough evidence for the sunnis. In another discussion they showed me something else. Its a tafsir of ibn Kathir. I couldnt copy the verses.

(Allah wishes only to remove Ar-Rijs from you, O members of the family, and to purify you with a thorough purification.) This is a clear statement that the wives of the Prophet are included among the members of his family (Ahl Al-Bayt) here, because they are the reason why this Ayah was revealed, and the scholars are unanimously agreed that they were the reason for revelation in this case, whether this was the only reason for revelation or there was also another reason, which is the correct view. Ibn Jarir recorded that `Ikrimah used to call out in the marketplace:

(Allah wishes only to remove Ar-Rijs from you, O members of the family, and to purify you with a thorough purification.) "This was revealed solely concerning the wives of the Prophet.'' Ibn Abi Hatim recorded that Ibn `Abbas said concerning the Ayah:

(Allah wishes only to remove Ar-Rijs from you, O members of the family,) "It was revealed solely concerning the wives of the Prophet .'' `Ikrimah said: "Whoever disagrees with me that it was revealed solely concerning the wives of the Prophet , I am prepared to meet with him and pray and invoke the curse of Allah upon those who are lying.'' So they alone were the reason for revelation, but others may be included by way of generalization. Ibn Jarir narrated that Safiyyah bint Shaybah said: "`A'ishah, may Allah be pleased with her, said, `The Prophet went out one morning wearing a striped cloak of black camel's hair. Al-Hasan, may Allah be pleased with him, came and he wrapped him in the cloak with him. Then Al-Husayn, may Allah be pleased with him, came and he wrapped him in the cloak with him. Then Fatimah, may Allah be pleased with her, came and he wrapped her in the cloak with him. Then `Ali, may Allah be pleased with him, came and he wrapped him in the cloak with him, then he said:

(Allah wishes only to remove Ar-Rijs from you, O members of the family, and to purify you with a thorough purification.) This was recorded by Muslim. In his Sahih, Muslim recorded that Yazid bin Hayyan said: "Husayn bin Sabrah, `Umar bin Muslim and I went to Zayd bin Arqam, may Allah be pleased with him, and when we had sat down with him, Husayn said: `You are so fortunate, O Zayd! You saw the Messenger of Allah and heard his speeches, and you went on military campaigns with him, and you prayed behind him. You are so fortunate, O Zayd! Tell us what you heard from the Messenger of Allah .' He said, `O son of my brother, by Allah, I have grown old and it has been a long time, and I have forgotten some of the things that I used to know from the Messenger of Allah . Whatever I tell you, accept it, and whatever I do not tell you, do not worry about it.' Then he said, `One day, the Messenger of Allah stood up to address us by the well of Khumm, between Makkah and Al-Madinah, and he praised Allah and thanked Him, and he preached and reminded us. Then he said:

(Thereafter! O people, I am merely a human being and soon the messenger of my Lord will come and I will answer him. I am leaving behind two things with you, the first of which is the Book of Allah in which is guidance and light, so seize the Book of Allah and hold fast to it.) He urged them to cling to the Book of Allah, then he said:

(And the members of my family (Ahl Al-Bayt): Remember Allah with regard to the members of my family, remember Allah with regard to the members of my family.) saying it three times.' Husayn said to him, `Who are the members of his family (Ahl Al-Bayt), O Zayd Are not his wives members of his family' He said, `His wives are members of his family, but the members of his family are those who are not permitted to receive charity after he died.' He said, `Who are they' He said, `They are the family of `Ali, the family of `Aqil, the family of Ja`far and the family of `Abbas, may Allah be pleased with them.' He said, `Were all of these forbidden to receive charity after his death' He said, `Yes.''' This Commentary is from Zayd bin Arqam and is not Marfu`

AsSalaamu Alaykum

This is also thier view.

"

"The following terms all have the same meaning:

(1)Ahl al-Bayt: People of the House.

(2)Al al-Nabi: Family of the Prophet; The Community (umma).

(3)Al-Bayt al-Nabi: Family of the House of the Prophet.

(4)Itrat al-Nabi: (People of) the Prophet's Mantle

However, in comman usage, 1 has more restrictive meaning, coinciding with (5.1) below,.....

(5.1) Ali, Fatima, Hasan, Husayn and Their Descendents."

"Allah said of the People of the House: "Allah's wish is but to remove impurities far from you, O Folk of the Household, and purify you with a through purification" (33:33 )

Umm Salama related that when that verse was revealed, the Prophet surrounded Ali, Fatima, al-Hasan, and al-Husayn with his garment, and said "O Allah! These are the People of my House, therefore remove uncleanness far from them and cleanse them with a through cleansing."(4)

[(4)Ahman narrated it in his Musnad with six chains, also Tirmidhi with several chains and he said:hasan sahih,al-Hakim, and Tabarani.]

Muslim, Tirmidhi (hasan sahih gharib), al-Hakim, and others also narrated:

"When Allah revealed the verse"...say (unto him), Come! We will summon our sons and your sons, and our women and your women, and ourselves and yourselves, then we will pray humbly (to our Lord) and (solemnly) invoke the curse of Allah upon those who lie" (3:61), Sad ibn Abi Waqqas said the Prophet summoned Ali, Fatima, Hasan and Husayn and said, 'O Allah! They are my Family' (allahumma haulau ahli)"

"

Page:162 & 163

Remembrance of Allah and Praising the Prophet.

Vol.2

Encyclopedia of Islamic Doctrine.

Shaykh Muhammad Hisham Kabbani.

By:As-Sunna Foundation of America.

Dear Brothers and Sisters,

Salaamun Alaykum Warahmatullahi Wabarakatohu.

Ayat Tatheera and Ayat Mubahila= Wives not included in Ahlul Bayt A.S. (In the light of most Tafsirs).

To be fair to the Sunni Bretheren, Wives of Prophet Muhammad SAWW.= Umahaatul-Momineen (Mothers of the Believers).

Allah HAFIZ.

Your Shia Brother in Islam,

Shahid Abbas Bokhari.

The Lover of the AHLUL BAYT A.S. (14 INFALLIBLES).

(salam)

does that make abdullah ibn abbas, ubaidullah ibn abbas etc infalliable too??? if not why not they are ahlul bait arent they??? hmmmmm

wa (salam)

Sallam

No only those who were under the cloth narrated by Umm Salma and Aisha in Bukhari, are purified.

I think Ahly bait refers to those on whom zakat is forbidden. But the purification verse is only for the 4.

Edited by salmany

Sallam

No only those who were under the cloth narrated by Umm Salma and Aisha in Bukhari, are purified.

I think Ahly bait refers to those on whom zakat is forbidden. But the purification verse is only for the 4.

That's not possible. Aisha went against Imam Ali (as) in the battle of Jamal. Purified people do not go against purified people, lest it trivializes the meaning of purification.