Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله
Sign in to follow this  
Muhajiba

Reasons for organ failure...

Rate this topic

Assalaamu Alaykum,

My question is this: Is there always a known reason or cause for organ failure? Is it ever possible for doctors to come to the conclusion that there is no way of knowing exactly why an organ is no longer functioning? Or is it that with sufficient and thorough search the cause can always be known and found? For instance, if there is no obvious reason for an organ to fail or it is not contained in the family hereditary of the person in question , can doctors still find out why?

Thanks...hope this makes sense. :)

wa salaam

Assalaamu Alaykum,

Thanks for your reply. Ahaa, so if a patient is given the explanation that there just isn't a known cause for their organ failure, their doctors might be mistaken? Or may not have taken the correct steps to find out why?

Also, because I don't know much about this, what sort of steps other than finding out the medical history or background of the patient and their family and blood tests can be taken to find the reasons behind the failure? Again, maybe a really silly question, but what if the organ is no longer in the body? Is it definitely needed to find the reasons behind it?

Have you ever heard of a case where the cause remained unknown?

Thanks again,

wa salaam

There is a lot still unknown in medicine. However, there is sufficient knowledge regarding organ failure. Often the only limitation to finding out why an organ failed for sure is time, or money. The physiology of the human body is a marvel for its structure, and so it is easy to find where breakdowns in the structure happened, and work backwards from there.

Sometimes though you just dont know, that happens, I mean, no one knows the cause of many things, but on organ does not fail suddenly, it is a chronic condition, that occurs over time, and so you can trace the chronology and reasons for failure better.

There is not one specific piece of information that will tell us the reason for organ failure. Physicians are very much like detectives, piecing together bits and pieces of information, imaging studies, lab data, physical examination etc, and then using all the information to come up with a diagnosis.

Salamoelikum,

There are many diseases for which we do not find any specific reason. These conditions are termed "idiopathic". Some idiopathic diseases can result in organ failure. However, even in some of these idiopathic disease, we can eventually come up with a list of probable causes that we think lead to the organ failure.

Assalaamu Alaykum

Jizakoum Allah khayr doctors, your expertise has shed some light. I can't imagine, as a patient, what it must feel like to be diagnosed with an idiopathic disease. I'm sure it must be hard to grapple with...for the doctors too. But alhamdullilah, like you said, it isn't always a complete mystery, but neither is it black or white. Everything is under Allah (swt)'s infinite will.

I marvel at the medical advancements and technology now and try to imagine what the future might hold...insha'Allah more promise for those who need it most.

May Allah (swt) allow us to take better care of ourselves and realize the precious gift of health and should it be tested, may there always be proficient doctors and adequate remedies and treatments, b'ithnillah.

thanks again :) ,

wa salaam