Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
ShiaChat.com
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله

Confused bout Sunni and Shia

Rate this topic

• Advanced Member

Salamu alaikum warahmatullah

al hamdulilah you seem to see truth in shiism.

There is alot to say therefore i will just give you a link which will answer all your questions about shia beliefs ..

At the bottom of the page you will see differences between shia and sunni ,,

http://www.al-islam.org/encyclopedia/newindex.html

If you have any questions do not hesitate to ask ,,

May Allah guide us all ,.

wassalam

Edited by ~***ShiaMuslimah***~
  • Advanced Member
(salam) I have heard alot about Shia and it seems that Shia seems to be in the correct path. Can anyone give me some sources bout the difference in Shia n Sunni? Im currently a sunni.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

the things i heard about shias shows that they are not on correct path. some question put in as a new topic.

• Advanced Member

because the assertions made by non-shias about us are most often not true or if they are somewhat truthful, they are usually grossly misconstrued to barely resemble the truth. :angel: read the link provided by sis ShiaMuslimah and learn about the TRUE beliefs of shias, not just what non-shias say about us.

Edited by Aliya
Guest abaleada

(bismillah)

(salam)

Theologically, Shi`i Islam is distinguished from Sunni Islam in that Shi`i Muslims are much more strict about tawhid or Theistic Unity, increase the definition of Prophetic isma, and declare belief in what we call raj`a while we assert that Imam Mahdi is alive and well but in Major Occultation. We also add Imamah and `Adl to our fundamental beliefs and decrease emphasis on certain other beliefs that are fundamental to SUnni Islam by considering them part and parcel to our belief in other things such as tawhid. There is, of course, much more than this. A comparison of texts such as Saduq's Risalat al I`tiqadat, Mufid's Tashih al I`tiqadat, Tusi's Tenets of Islam, or other texts with Tahawi's `Aqidah, Abu Hanifah's Fiqh al Akbar, or Ghazzali's I`tiqad might prove useful in this regard.

Jurisprudentially, we have different positions in salah, as well as certain variant adhikar and ad`iyat; we have more invalidators to our siyam or fasting; and we have certain variations in the method by which we make hajj. Our methodology is basically the same, except that we have slightly different requirements for the soundness of the ahadith by which we formulate the Sunnah and build the body of the tafsir or commentary of the Qur'an. This results, of course, in differing lists of sound narrators. If you do no have access to any major text of Sunni fiqh, the copy of Quduri's risala of fiqh might serve as a way to compare to a text such as Ayatullah Sistani's risala (which happens to be one of the most organised one published to date).

Our views of tarikh are vastly different from those of Sunni Islam. Each of the batles is cast in a different light. Biographies of the major early personalities are vastly different, with the possible exception of Prophet Muhammad's Sirah. We perceive the events surrounding the succession of Islamic leadership after Prophet Muhammad very differently. Our view of minor later caliphs is different; we have differing view on various shuhada or martyrs and awliya' and a'immah or gnostic masters and Imams. Possible texts to view in Shi`i Islam might be Ayatullah Subhani's "The Message" at http://www.al-islam.org, the text "Fatimah the Gracious" at http://www.al-islam.org/gracious, "Khadijatul Kubra" somewhere at http://www.al-islam.org, or "Restatement of History" which cuold be at http://www.al-islam.org/restatement inshallah. I am not familiar enough with texts of Sunni tarikh except to know that there exists a book about Prophet Muhammad which is very beautifully written and which might correspond to Ayatullah Subhani's "The Message".

Something to keep in mind whenever reading Shi`i texts, especially the more modern ones, is that too much liberty has been taken with Sunni hadith, often resulting in a distorted view of Sunni Islam.

As for the text called the Shi`i Encyclopedia, it is useul enough, but it is certainly not great, nor is it any kind of cornerstone of Shi`i belief, fiqh, or any other science in our sect.

I am in the process of doing a critical review of "Ask Those Who Know". Those who think that they have shut me up on a Shi`i Muslim sisters'-only mailing list should be forewarned. And wherever the heck Salman went, I miss his assistance with the work.

-Abbie

(salam) I have heard alot about Shia and it seems that Shia seems to be in the correct path. Can anyone give me some sources bout the difference in Shia n Sunni? Im currently a sunni.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Edited by abaleada
  • Advanced Member
(bismillah)

(salam)

Theologically, Shi`i Islam is distinguished from Sunni Islam in that Shi`i Muslims are much more strict about tawhid or Theistic Unity, increase the definition of Prophetic isma, and declare belief in what we call raj`a while we assert that Imam Mahdi is alive and well but in Major Occultation. We also add Imamah and `Adl to our fundamental beliefs and decrease emphasis on certain other beliefs that are fundamental to SUnni Islam by considering them part and parcel to our belief in other things such as tawhid. There is, of course, much more than this. A comparison of texts such as Saduq's Risalat al I`tiqadat, Mufid's Tashih al I`tiqadat, Tusi's Tenets of Islam, or other texts with Tahawi's `Aqidah, Abu Hanifah's Fiqh al Akbar, or Ghazzali's I`tiqad might prove useful in this regard.

Jurisprudentially, we have different positions in salah, as well as certain variant adhikar and ad`iyat; we have more invalidators to our siyam or fasting; and we have certain variations in the method by which we make hajj. Our methodology is basically the same, except that we have slightly different requirements for the soundness of the ahadith by which we formulate the Sunnah and build the body of the tafsir or commentary of the Qur'an. This results, of course, in differing lists of sound narrators. If you do no have access to any major text of Sunni fiqh, the copy of Quduri's risala of fiqh might serve as a way to compare to a text such as Ayatullah Sistani's risala (which happens to be one of the most organised one published to date).

Our views of tarikh are vastly different from those of Sunni Islam. Each of the batles is cast in a different light. Biographies of the major early personalities are vastly different, with the possible exception of Prophet Muhammad's Sirah. We perceive the events surrounding the succession of Islamic leadership after Prophet Muhammad very differently. Our view of minor later caliphs is different; we have differing view on various shuhada or martyrs and awliya' and a'immah or gnostic masters and Imams. Possible texts to view in Shi`i Islam might be Ayatullah Subhani's "The Message" at http://www.al-islam.org, the text "Fatimah the Gracious" at http://www.al-islam.org/gracious, "Khadijatul Kubra" somewhere at http://www.al-islam.org, or "Restatement of History" which cuold be at http://www.al-islam.org/restatement inshallah. I am not familiar enough with texts of Sunni tarikh except to know that there exists a book about Prophet Muhammad which is very beautifully written and which might correspond to Ayatullah Subhani's "The Message".

Something to keep in mind whenever reading Shi`i texts, especially the more modern ones, is that too much liberty has been taken with Sunni hadith, often resulting in a distorted view of Sunni Islam.

As for the text called the Shi`i Encyclopedia, it is useul enough, but it is certainly not great, nor is it any kind of cornerstone of Shi`i belief, fiqh, or any other science in our sect.

I am in the process of doing a critical review of "Ask Those Who Know". Those who think that they have shut me up on a Shi`i Muslim sisters'-only mailing list should be forewarned. And wherever the heck Salman went, I miss his assistance with the work.

-Abbie

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Assalam Alaikum sister

Nicely put but please allow the following few observations:

With all respect to Dr. Al-Tijani and his books, they are enjoyable reads but he is not an authority in Shia Islam. He has done a lot of good and I pray Allah (SWT) to grant him Jannah but nonetheless he is very far from being an authority in Shia Islam. His works are accepted and backed up by many Sunni Scholars but not by the Salafis. So an objective critic of his book won't be of much benefit if you ask me; but that is just my own humble opinion and you may see it in a totally different and very useful angle. Personally, I'd much rather see you invest your time in raising awareness as you did to CAIR in that very good article you wrote about Iraqi Elections.

The Shi'i encyclopedia is very good and very strong as a hujjah along with Peshawar nights with regards to Sunni Islam. Salafis/Wahabis however differ as they do not accept most if not all of it.

As for the use of Sunni Ahadiths, yes the average Shi'i misuses some of it in the view of the Salafis/Wahabis but if you were to review the original Sunni texts and commentary which many are denounced or at the least discredited by some of Salafis/Wahabis (Zamakhshari, Suyuti, Fakr Al-Razi, etc...) you'd see that even the views held by the average (muqalid) Shi'i are found in the Sunni books and the tafsirs of the respected Sunni Scholars back it up. I think the main issue is that Salafism/Wahabism has penetrated and practically indoctrinated Sunni Islam; that is really sad because the more this happens, the weaker Unity becomes and the more of a target Islam will be.

Fi Aman Allah

Edited by Shiaboy
  • Advanced Member
(bismillah)

(salam)

Theologically, Shi`i Islam is distinguished from Sunni Islam in that Shi`i Muslims are much more strict about tawhid or Theistic Unity,

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

(bismillah)

(salam)

i have a question:

is there a type of shia that is not so strict about tawhid?

b/c at the top of this forum in the 5th topic is someone by the name of Abdul Hussain. and Al Hussain is not a name or Attribute of Allaah subhaanahu wa ta'aalaa, but the name of the prophets Grandson (ra) . so this person is calling himself "the servant/slave of al hussain", and this is not tawhid at all, but is super shirk. that is unless he believes that al hussain is Allaah (astaghfirullaah).

just seeking enlightenment, not arguement.

(salam)

• Advanced Member

(bismillah) (salam)

during the prophets time there wwere slaves and they used to claim that i am a slave of such and such person so the slaves were alll mushrikeen most of the companions had slaves

would you not be proud to ba the slave of prophet mohemmed (saw) or is that shirk and dont froget the verse oteeo allaha a rasoolah wa ulul amri minkum

obey Allah and his apostle and the people in command of you this is shirk right because we are only supposed to obey Allah and we are not sopposed to obey the prophet if you obey the prophet in every single word that he says then you are his slave correct or not if it is not correct then what is that called

(salam)

• Advanced Member
(bismillah)  (salam)

during the prophets time there wwere slaves and they used to claim that i am a slave of such and such person so the slaves were alll mushrikeen most of the companions had slaves

would you not be proud to ba the slave of prophet mohemmed (saw) or is that shirk and dont froget the verse oteeo allaha a rasoolah wa ulul amri minkum

obey Allah and his apostle and the people in command of you this is shirk right because we are only supposed to obey Allah and we are not sopposed to obey the prophet if you obey the prophet in every single word that he says then you are his slave correct or not if it is not correct then what is that called

(salam)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

(bismillah)

(salam)

Allaah ta'aalaa Himself explained the obedience of the messanger (salla Allaahu alaihi wa sallam):

“O you who believe! Obey Allah and obey the Messenger and make not vain your deeds.†[(47): 33]

“He who obeys the Messenger has obeyed Allah†[(4): 80]

He didnt say worship him or pray to him or ask him for forgiveness, the jannah, protection from the fire, etc. or call yourself his (the messanger (salla Allaahu alaihi wa sallam)) slave-abd an-nabi.

He (ta'aalaa) only said to obey him. and when he is obeyed, the the forgiveness, the jannah, protection from the fire, etc. will come, b/c he taught the muslim how to obtain these things from Allaah (ta'aalaa). and only obedience to him will bring these things. thats why those who disobey the messanger (salla Allaahu alaihi wa sallam) will be punished, if their good deeds are not more that the bad, and those who disbelieve (who neither obey the messanger or believe in Allaah) will go the hell forever.

(salam)

• Advanced Member

you said it your self if we obey the prophet that means we are obeying Allah in the verse of mubahila who is considred to be the nafs of the prophet it was imam ali so if we obey imam ali then we are obeying the prophet and if we obey the prophet then we are obeying Allah (swt)

if i am a slave to a person does that mean i worship him No it does not

i am a slave to the prophet mihemmed am i doing shirk of course no and dont forget the verse "qul laa asalukum alayhi ajran illal mawadda fel qurba" i ask you nothinkg exept the love of my near ones the near ones are in the verse of mubahila Ali FAtima Hasan Hussain

WHY DO YOU TRY YOUR BEST TO NEGLECT THE AHLUL BAIT

just because we have mawadda (love for them ) in obideiance of the above metioneded verse you accuse the shias of shirk

if some one calls him self abdulhussain then he is fol;lowing the quran because he is showing mawadda to the holy family it is not shirk but obidience to Allah swt

• Advanced Member
you said it your self if we obey the prophet that means we are obeying Allah in the verse of mubahila who is considred to be the nafs of the prophet it was imam ali so if we obey imam ali then we are obeying the prophet and if we obey the prophet then we are obeying Allah (swt)

if i am a slave to a person does that mean i worship him No it does not

i am a slave to the prophet mihemmed am i doing shirk of course no and dont forget the verse  "qul laa asalukum alayhi ajran illal mawadda fel qurba" i ask you nothinkg exept the love of my near ones the near ones are in the verse of mubahila Ali FAtima Hasan Hussain

WHY DO YOU TRY YOUR BEST TO NEGLECT THE AHLUL BAIT 

just because we have mawadda (love for them ) in obideiance of the above metioneded verse you accuse the shias of shirk

if some one calls him self abdulhussain then he is fol;lowing the quran because he is showing mawadda to the holy family  it is not shirk but obidience to Allah swt

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

(bismillah)

(salam)

o.k. let's try it like this.........

why are there no hadiths (at least no sunni hadiths, dont know about the shia ones) that mention that the prophet (pbuh) said to call yourself abdu muhammad, or that it was permissible to. which seems to me, that out of his family, he would be the first for servitude, seeing as how without him, there would be no family. why didnt 'alee (ra) name his sons abdu muhammad, or why didnt al hasan and al hussain (as) name their sons abdu 'alee or abdu muhammad?

the prophet (pbuh) did say about names of servitude that the best were abdullaah (servant/slave of Allaah) and abdurrahmaan (servant/slave of ArRahmaan-one of Allah's names).

i am not neglecting the ahl bayt. in fact, i love who ever Allaah has commanded me to love, and hate whoever He has commanded me to hate.

but He has not commanded anyone to be in servitude (as in worship) to anyone, except to Him. .-> blank

He has only commanded us to obey (as in follow, listen to, do not turn away from) the commands and orders that He gave the Prophet (pbuh), and in doing so, we obey (as in worship) Him, and not the Prophet (pbuh).

and that is not showing mawadda to the family. and we cant love the family the way we want to, but the way Allaah (ta'aalaa) commands us to.

again i ask:

is these names of servitude are mawadda, then why didnt the best of us (the Prophet (pbuh) , Alee (ra) , his sons and their sons (as) ) use these names, as they would have been the nearest to fufilling their meanings?

(salam)

• Advanced Member

(bismillah) (salam)

not only shia people have names such as abdul hussain and......etc some sunni scholars have these kind of names too

1)Abdul qasim mohemmedbin umar jarullah the author of the book "rabiul abrar"

2)ibne abdul birr the author of the book "istiab"

3) abdul qasim tibrani the author of the book muajmal kabir

4)abdul fazl ahmed bin ali bin hajr al askalani the athur of the book "fathul al bari fi sharhi saheeh al bukhari"

also dont forget the prophets ancestors like his grandfather abdul mutalib and his great grand father abdul manef

(salam)

• Advanced Member

Asalamu alaikum

"Theologically, Shi`i Islam is distinguished from Sunni Islam in that Shi`i Muslims are much more strict about tawhid or Theistic Unity"

Sorry but this made me laugh due to these facts:

-You can ask the Prophet, Ali or the Imams for help, you can ask them to forgive you, you can also ask them for Jennah. (according to some shia)

http://www.shiachat.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=46768&hl=

Yet you do not understand tawheed, and what it means to be a slave of Allah. May Allah guide you.

Guest abaleada
Assalam Alaikum sister

Nicely put but please allow the following few observations:

With all respect to Dr. Al-Tijani and his books, they are enjoyable reads but he is not an authority in Shia Islam.

(bismillah)

(salam)

This is what I meant by my remarks. Not even Sunni Muslims consider his texts to be very worthy. His books convinced me at a point when I was only just leaving wahhabism. It took a much more detailled study of Shi`i and Sunni Islam to convince me to stay with my decision to go Shi`ah.

My critical book review has the aim of showing the weaknesses in one of his books.

The Shi'i encyclopedia is very good and very strong as a hujjah along with Peshawar nights with regards to Sunni Islam. Salafis/Wahabis however differ as they do not accept most if not all of it.

The Shi`i encyclopedia is by no means any kind of authority whatsoever on Shi`i `aqidah or iqh. It has useful information, but it lacks authoritative knowledge, proper application of information derived from various Sunni sources, several spelling/grammar errors, an imperfect organisation, and several other weaknesses.

Peshawar Nights has too many falsified ahadith to take it seriously at all. I am still inclined to consider it to be a real encounter, but one that took place in a region where ignorance prevailed.

As for the use of Sunni Ahadiths, yes the average Shi'i misuses some of it in the view of the Salafis/Wahabis but if you were to review the original Sunni texts and commentary which many are denounced or at the least discredited by some of  Salafis/Wahabis (Zamakhshari, Suyuti, Fakr Al-Razi, etc...) you'd see that even the views held by the average (muqalid) Shi'i are found in the Sunni books and the tafsirs of the respected Sunni Scholars back it up.

This is exactly the point; yet at the same time, modern Sunni authorities have a different system of strengthening and weakening reports than do we. We should aknowledge this and fo our best to work with this.

I think the main issue is that Salafism/Wahabism has penetrated and practically indoctrinated Sunni Islam; that is really sad because the more this happens, the weaker Unity becomes and the more of a target Islam will be.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

This may be true, but Sunni Islam is making quote a comeback. Furthermore, even i the average lay Sunni Muslim fails to distinguish between wahhabism and SUnni Islam, we should do so in the interest of maintaining a level of intelectuality that would become the followers of the Ahlul Bayt.

-Abbie

Guest abaleada

(bismillah)

(salam)

Shi`i Islam, like the traditional Sunni Islam, is not afraid of metaphorical understandings. One must keep in mind that the higher Arabic language has literal as well as allegorical forms of even common words.

When one names himself `Abdul Rasul, `Abdul Hasnayn, or any other such name, it is because he seeks to follow as exactly as possible the teachings that Prophet Muhammad and those most beloved to him promulgated.

Were Imam Mahdi to appear today, I would give my eye tooth to be his servant - but NOT his worshipper. And in the Arabic language, the distinction is as fine as one of my hairs, but certainly still there.

Thank you for the question. I myself wondered and worried when I first saw the same.

-Abbie

(bismillah)

(salam)

i have a question:

is there a type of shia that is not so strict about tawhid?

b/c at the top of this forum in the 5th topic is someone by the name of Abdul Hussain. and Al Hussain is not a name or Attribute of Allaah subhaanahu wa ta'aalaa, but the name of the prophets Grandson  (ra) . so this person is calling himself "the servant/slave of al hussain", and this is not tawhid at all, but is super shirk. that is unless he believes that al hussain is Allaah (astaghfirullaah).

just seeking enlightenment, not arguement.

(salam)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Guest abaleada
Asalamu alaikum

"Theologically, Shi`i Islam is distinguished from Sunni Islam in that Shi`i Muslims are much more strict about tawhid or Theistic Unity"

Sorry but this made me laugh...

(bismillah)

(salam)

Your adab is generally very fine. I hope that you recover from this small misstep. Barakallahu fikum; I realise that you reacted as you did out of your concern.

-You can ask the Prophet, Ali or the Imams for help, you can ask them to forgive you, you can also ask them for Jennah. (according to some shia)

http://www.shiachat.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=46768&hl=

According to all Shi`i and most Sunni Muslims. Intercession oes not violate the principles of tawhid in any way.

Yet you do not understand tawheed, and what it means to be a slave of Allah. May Allah guide you.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

If you can explain what you mean by this comment, it will be helpful. Thank you for your thoughts, brother.

Please visit http://www.sunnipath.com and http://www.livingislam.org. There are other sites like these.

• Advanced Member
(bismillah)

(salam)

This is what I meant by my remarks. Not even Sunni Muslims consider his texts to be very worthy. His books convinced me at a point when I was only just leaving wahhabism. It took a much more detailled study of Shi`i and Sunni Islam to convince me to stay with my decision to go Shi`ah.

Assalam Alaikum

Actually many of the older Sunni Ulamahs back his views up in their tafsirs but as I said these Sunni scholars are discredited by many Wahabi/Salafis today. I admire the fact that you took the time to search for afterall we are all going to be judged on the sincerity of our intention whether we end up Shia or Sunni.

My critical book review has the aim of showing the weaknesses in one of his books.

The Shi`i encyclopedia is by no means any kind of authority whatsoever on Shi`i `aqidah or iqh. It has useful information, but it lacks authoritative knowledge, proper application of information derived from various Sunni sources, several spelling/grammar errors, an imperfect organisation, and several other weaknesses.

With regards to Dr. Al-Tijani, we already have disagreements with him on some views. As for the Shi'i encyclopedia, I happen to know a couple of its authors and I can tell you that they are very learned brothers who could reply to your queries should you have any. I enjoyed reading the Shii encyclopedia because it makes a lot of sense and the arguments are logical. I would not discredit it as you sound to be doing (hopefully i'm not assuming here and if so i apologize) because it has done a lot of good and everything in it is actually taken from Sunni Sources. If we say that the ahadiths aren't sahih, firstly that is not the only basis for a hadith to be accepted; secondly, many of the ahadiths are sahih in Sunni Islam and finally, the tafasirs of the Sunni Scholars have been explicit on many of them and many Quranic Ayahs that back up the conclusion of the encyclopedia.

Peshawar Nights has too many falsified ahadith to take it seriously at all. I am still inclined to consider it to be a real encounter, but one that took place in a region where ignorance prevailed.

Actually, Peshawar Nights' ahadiths are refused by Salafis/Wahabis otherwise many of it is very useful. Are some fabricated? Sure, I wouldn't doubt that for one minute. Also, keep in mind that even among the Shias some of the Ulamahs (even some who carry the title of Ayatullah) lack a lot. No need for examples here.

This is exactly the point; yet at the same time, modern Sunni authorities have a different system of strengthening and weakening reports than do we. We should aknowledge this and fo our best to work with this.

Modern Sunni authorities are very few in numbers if any. Most of them are following Wahabi/Salafi thoughts without knowing or because of the money. Money corrupts whether you are Shia or Sunni; I've seen it do its harm in many ways; even among scholars I used to respect. As for the system of strenghtening and weakening reports, surely when debating such an issue with the average shia who doesn't speak arabic/farsi/urdu and who doesn't have access to the main books of rijal nor the books on 'ilm al hadith in their author's language, it becomes very hard; practically impossible to discuss. Among the learned scholars, this is far from being an issue.

This may be true, but Sunni Islam is making quote a comeback. Furthermore, even i the average lay Sunni Muslim fails to distinguish between wahhabism and SUnni Islam, we should do so in the interest of maintaining a level of intelectuality that would become the followers of the Ahlul Bayt.

-Abbie

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Wahabism/Salafism is emerging under the banner of Sunni Islam. A "comeback" through such sites as Shiachat and others through most ridiculous claims as "Shias don't have sahih ahadiths"? That seriously holds no substance with the Scholars. Btw, Sayid Musawi (firstly he did not behave as a Shia on that video and his knowledge was laughable. With due respect to him, emotions have no place in debates and he was getting agitated instead of bringing substance).

Wahabis/Salafis' main focus, from their onset with the help and funding of Britain, through their spread in poor countries (Tchad, Sudan, Afghanistan, etc..) has been the destruction/death of Shi'ism so their "Scholars" spend their time attacking us; Our Ulamahs are busy with other issues (with some scholars spending their time fighting against others who are only seeking power and worldly gains; sadly) and don't waste their time trying to prove "musallamaat". So basically, don't get me wrong but Shiachat (with all due respect to its members and I hope I do not offend anyone) is not a place for authorative discussions. There are many arabic websites (one is debates between Saudis Shias and Wahabi/Salafis) where the level is maybe 10 times this forum. As I said, coming on here and challenging Shias on a forum where the average Shi'i is in highschool, doesn't speak arabic/farsi or has no access to the main books is far from being an achievement.

Also, in arabic we have treasures. Some of which have never been published, some of which have been destroyed, some of which have been banned in Islamic countries. You know Allamah Al-Hilli (ra) wrote 2000 books; the majority of which is not available today. Sayid Shirazi (ra) wrote 1500 books with a majority not published. You know how many books were lost in the Fatimid Dynasty? How Shias were oppressed during the Ummayad and Abbasid Dynasties to the extent of being killed for having the name Ali (as)? What about Sayid Mar'ash an-Najafi (ra)'s huge library which hasn't been used in years because of the la3een Saddam? We have treasures in our Madhab (Sheikh Bhai's books for example) but alas have no access to them because of political, social and historical facts.

As for maintaining the level of scholarship quite high, as I said, our learned Scholars are different than Shiachatters. Moreover when things get better in Iraq and that the Howza in Najaf resumes its full-course teachings with full force; you will see what Shi'ism is truly about Insha'Allah (Not discrediting Qum here but Najaf will be of a major boost).

BarakAllah fikum mawlatana for your sincerity.

Edited by Shiaboy
  • Advanced Member
Asalamu alaikum

Sorry but this made me laugh due to these facts:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

(salam)

Shia don't ONLY ask the Prophet (SAW) and the Imams to intercede but they also ask Allah (SWT) directly for forgiveness. They take all possible ways to get forgiveness. I am sure every muslims, at some point or another, has asked their parents, their friends, their relatives, their maulanas or sheikhs to intercede and pray for them. Just the other day, I heard a Sunni muslim (Syrian, so maybe Hanbali or sha3fi) say that he asked his sheikh to pray he gets married twice :D

Wassalaam and peace be upon all of you brothers and sisters

• Advanced Member
(salam)

Just want a clarification about Temporary marriage; Is a man allowed to have a temp marriage with someone while he is married (permanently) to someone else?

Thanx

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Ok found the answer in Shi'ite Encyclopedia :

Another one also asked him about Mut'a, and the Imam (as) said:

"It is absolutely permissible and allowed to whom is not provided with (permanent) marriage, then he may act decently by resorting to pleasure marriage. If he was provided with a (permanent) wife, then it is allowed for him (to engage in temporary marriage) when he is away from his wife (e.g., like a traveler)."

Another Q following on: Does the husband need his permanent wifes consent ?

• Advanced Member

(salam)

No, just as he doesn't need his wife's consent to marry another permanent wife

You could have worded that better; at the time of marriage he may not require the consent but if his first wife disapproves of his second marriage(i.e. after he's married) and the husband knows that he'll not be able to convince his wife to accept the 2nd marriage, his second marriage becomes void. However if the first wife initially refuses to recognise the marriage but the husband is able to persuade her to change her mind, the nikaah is valid.

Was salaam

*Zahra*

• Advanced Member
(salam)

You could have worded that better; at the time of marriage he may not require the consent but if his first wife disapproves of his second marriage(i.e. after he's married) and the husband knows that he'll not be able to convince his wife to accept the 2nd marriage, his second marriage becomes void. However if the first wife initially refuses to recognise the marriage but the husband is able to persuade her to change her mind, the nikaah is valid.

Was salaam

*Zahra*

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

So even if the contract was for an hour/week they husband has to tell the wife later on ?

• Advanced Member
So even if the contract was for an hour/week they husband has to tell the wife later on ?

Heck no! you got that wrong; I was talking about a second permanent wife, not the mut'ah marriage.

I was unaware of that sis Zahra, thanks for correcting me.

Anytime sis :)

*Zahra*

• Advanced Member
(bismillah)

(salam)

We also add Imamah and `Adl to our fundamental beliefs and decrease emphasis on certain other beliefs that are fundamental to SUnni Islam by considering them part and parcel to our belief in other things such as tawhid.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

WE(THE MUSLIMS) DID NOT ADD ANYTHING TO ISLAM. THIS IS HOW ISLAM WAS REVEALED, WITH TAWHID, NABUWAT, ADL, IMAMAT, QIYAMAT.

SO STOP SAYING THAT THE SHIAS HAVE ADDED THINGS TO ISLAM. WE HAVE NO RIGHT TO ADD OR DECREASE FROM WHAT Allah(SWT) AND HIS MESSENGER (pbuh) HAVE DECIDED. THIS WOULD BE INNOVATION, SO I DO NOT HOLD YOUR POINT OF VIEW.

ISLAM WITHOUT IMAMAT AND ADL IS NOT ISLAM.

Guest abaleada
(salam)

I am not sure I follow you; this was what I understood from Ayatullah Murtadha Mutahhari's book "Rights of Women in Islam ". Will be grateful if you could explain that.

Was salaam

*Zahra*

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

(bismillah)

(salam)

Actually, your post mirrored my thoughts. No worries.

-Abbie

• Advanced Member
(bismillah)  (salam)

not only shia people have names such as abdul hussain and......etc some sunni scholars have these kind of names too

1)Abdul qasim mohemmedbin umar jarullah the author of the book "rabiul abrar"

2)ibne abdul birr the author of the book "istiab"

3) abdul qasim tibrani the author of the book muajmal kabir

4)abdul fazl ahmed bin ali bin hajr al askalani the athur of the book "fathul al bari fi sharhi saheeh al bukhari"

also dont forget the prophets ancestors like his grandfather abdul mutalib and his great grand father abdul manef

(salam)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

(bismillah)

(salam)

those names are wrong. they are as follows (these names were searched on the net, on several sites to verify correctness, and anyone can feel free to do it to verify):

1.'Allamah Jar Allah Abi al- Qasim Mahmud ibn 'Umar al-Zamakhshari (Jar Allah-is his title, a laqab. and abul qasim is his kunya-nickname, meaning father of al qasim)

2.Ibn `Abd al-Barr (some spelled it "Ibn `Abd al-Birr", most spelled it "Ibn `Abd al-Barr". and Al Barr is from the asmaa wa sifaat of Allaah. so he (the sunni scholar) was not a slave/servant of anyone, except Al Barr, who is Allaah.)

3.Abul Qasim Tibrani (i quoted this one from ya-hussein.com)

4. Abul-Fadl Ahmad Ibn ‘Ali Ibn Muhammad Ibn Muhammad ‘Ali Al-Kinaani Al-Asqalaani

the name "abdul qasim zamakhshari" wa found here:http://www.al-islam.org/peshawar/8.4.html, but it probably was a mispelling on the part of the person who put ity on the net.

the rest........i dont know.

either you were trying very hard to prove a point, or your source of info has some serious spelling errors. nevertheless, these are their names, not those you posted.

and as far as the prophet's grandfather and father, well that was before islaam. our discussion is about after islaam.

(salam)

Guest abaleada
Assalam Alaikum

Actually many of the older Sunni Ulamahs back his views up in their tafsirs but as I said these Sunni scholars are discredited by many Wahabi/Salafis today.

(bismillah)

(salam)

I, being opinionated (a trait that disqualifies me for the title "mawatana," by the way), never really have cared what the deviants think, regardless of how many they are.

As for the Shi'i encyclopedia, I happen to know a couple of its authors and I can tell you that they are very learned brothers who could reply to your queries should you have any.

Ohboy. I have already discovered how religious activisim can delay political activism and nearly sideswipe academic ventures...

Inshallah in ive years I will finish another critical book review. However, if I have my preference, it will be Mawlana Biria's book. A friendly but critical review aimed at improving the text for round 2.

Modern Sunni authorities are very few in numbers if any. Most of them are following Wahabi/Salafi thoughts without knowing or because of the money.

There was a list of historical and modern Sunni (not wahhabi, or very few by now) `ulama on the ummah.net discussion forums, where traditional Sunnis have been really taking over in spite of the salafist admins there.

Money corrupts whether you are Shia or Sunni

I cry myself to sleep because of this. If a partially insane layperson cries herself to sleep on account of this, consider the distress of Imam Mahdi.

A "comeback" through such sites as Shiachat and others...

Not Shiachat. Sunnipath. And others. Just like knowledge is trivkling into the sphere of the youth in Shi`i Islam, it is doing the same in Sunni Islam. There is the common trend among the youth in both sects to become frustrated with the culturalist trends of their parents, especially near the preferable age of marriage.

...Shiachat (with all due respect to its members and I hope I do not offend anyone) is not a place for authorative discussions.

Eh. If the administration were serious about making this place a worthwhile centre for the exchange of information, they would be much more ready to establish and maintain Islamic standards here. As long as popularity is the goal, we will be famous as a centre of fitnah, a place where gangsta music artists can be discussed, fashions rated, and cars ranked.

Also, in arabic we have treasures. Some of which have never been published, some of which have been destroyed, some of which have been banned in Islamic countries. You know Allamah Al-Hilli (ra) wrote 2000 books; the majority of which is not available today. Sayid Shirazi (ra) wrote 1500 books with a majority not published. You know how many books were lost in the Fatimid Dynasty? How Shias were oppressed during the Ummayad and Abbasid Dynasties to the extent of being killed for having the name Ali (as)? What about Sayid Mar'ash an-Najafi (ra)'s huge library which hasn't been used in years because of the la3een Saddam? We have treasures in our Madhab (Sheikh Bhai's books for example) but alas have no access to them because of political, social and historical facts.

This says a lot for the old historic value of oral tradition.

Moreover when things get better in Iraq and that the Howza in Najaf resumes its full-course teachings with full force; you will see what Shi'ism is truly about Insha'Allah (Not discrediting Qum here but Najaf will be of a major boost).

Inshallah. Alhamdulillah. (would that the brothers there would stop smoking and stop staring at the sisters.)

BarakAllah fikum mawlatana for your sincerity.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Check - sister, not mawlatana. As long as I am grappling with pride issues, no-one can see me as anything but a sister who struggles after knowledge and stumbles more often than walks.

-Abbie

• Advanced Member
(bismillah)

(salam)

I, being opinionated (a trait that disqualifies me for the title "mawatana," by the way), never really have cared what the deviants think, regardless of how many they are.

Assalam Alaikum wa Rahmatuhu

Not sure what you mean by deviated here? The older Sunni Scholars or the modern ones who are following more and more of a Wahabi/Salafi trend?

Ohboy. I have already discovered how religious activisim can delay political activism and nearly sideswipe academic ventures...

Inshallah in ive years I will finish another critical book review. However, if I have my preference, it will be Mawlana Biria's book. A friendly but critical review aimed at improving the text for round 2.

It's ok, remember that no one will sleep in your grave but your ownself. We have 2 choices, either we fill it with roses and 'utr or we fill it with worms and vultures. Sayid Muhammad Shirazi (ra) always refers to the famous Persian saying "you are either a wolf or you are eaten by one" and he then adds, what better way then to meet your Lord madhlooman.

There was a list of historical and modern Sunni (not wahhabi, or very few by now) `ulama on the ummah.net discussion forums, where traditional Sunnis have been really taking over in spite of the salafist admins there.

That is great to hear. It really saddened me last year when really close Sunni brothers of mine refused to come to Mawlid Al-Nabi (saw) because of "Umm Muslimah" a salafi author who had denied it and called it bid'ah etc... I'm glad to see that there are sites were Sunni Ulamahs get involved in as opposed to the Salafis/Wahabis.

I cry myself to sleep because of this. If a partially insane layperson cries herself to sleep on account of this, consider the distress of Imam Mahdi.

Sister, take things easy. Remember and this is one of my favorite reminders: "al mo'min muljam wal munafiq fajer". The Imam (ajtf) will begin by the turbaned who aren't sincere as they will be the ones to wage war against him.

Not Shiachat. Sunnipath. And others. Just like knowledge is trivkling into the sphere of the youth in Shi`i Islam, it is doing the same in Sunni Islam. There is the common trend among the youth in both sects to become frustrated with the culturalist trends of their parents, especially near the preferable age of marriage.

The difference is Shia Scholars are disputing major issues such as Iraq, gvt, and some are corrupted (the lesser ones) while others are funding Mussalahs on every corner. If you see Montreal or Ottawa, you would understand what I'm saying. Every here and there you find a Mussalah led by Wahabi/Salafis who rent rooms and spread their views in the Sunni world; and occasionally they knock at our doors. (My friend gets an invitation daily and he's been before and he told me it was very rough talk)

Eh. If the administration were serious about making this place a worthwhile centre for the exchange of information, they would be much more ready to establish and maintain Islamic standards here. As long as popularity is the goal, we will be famous as a centre of fitnah, a place where gangsta music artists can be discussed, fashions rated, and cars ranked.

Ma3dhiratan, I apologize but I was misunderstood I think. I am in no way taking away from the Admins as they have done a most oustanding job in my very humble and honest view. I am saying that many young shias come on here and spread views which aren't really authority. Also they get into topics that they have no background for; like for instance 'ilm al hadith and the rijal books while they don't even own copies and are basically unable to reply. This is a topic for the Scholars in Howza who have access and studied it. And unfortunately Shiachatters don't have access nor the level to discuss this. As I said there are forums which are extremely advanced where such things are merely play. Moreover, I think Shiachat has been excellent in leading people to enjoy religion as opposed to spending time doing things which contradict it.

This says a lot for the old historic value of oral tradition.

To me it says a lot about the oppression and extreme efforts the dictators and oppressors went through to stop the spread of Shia Islam as well. It was only 25 years ago where we saw the "Muslim" gvts (sadly with the help of Sunni Scholars; some of which to be fair to them, may have well resorted to the practice of taqiyyah, stood by Iraq in their invasion and butchery of Shias in the name of stoping Imam Khumayni (ra)'s Shia revolution when the slogan of the revolution went from "la sunniya la shi3iya illa jamhuria Islamiya" to "7am sunniya 7am shi3iya illa dawla/jamhuria Islamiya". Oral traditions aren't for Shiachatters (sunni or shia) to copy and paste from here and there. They are for learned scholars to discuss with one another. When we take from websites, we don't even know the intention of the turbaned who did this; maybe he isn't even pious? Maybe he distorted and we are copying it? Maybe there was even tahrif like in one copy of Bukhari in the past.

Inshallah. Alhamdulillah. (would that the brothers there would stop smoking and stop staring at the sisters.)

I have no idea what you meant there but I'll take it the best way. Hopefully things will work out for everyone.

Check - sister, not mawlatana. As long as I am grappling with pride issues, no-one can see me as anything but a sister who struggles after knowledge and stumbles more often than walks.

-Abbie

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You say you are struggling for knowledge and that is enough of a Hujjah for me to refer to you as mawlatana (in fact anyone that is well-intentioned; which is jurisprudentially presumed, is to me a mawla).

Remember the sin which makes us repent is better than the good deeds which make us proud.

Fi Aman Allah