Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله

Calling Allah's (swt) Name in the Bathroom...

Rate this topic

• Advanced Member

As-salaamualaikum Brothers and Sisters,

Being new to Islam, I have a weird side question. I heard from a Sunni brother that you could not call on Allah (swt) in the bathroom and then my aalim about this and he had the mindset that you should be able to call on Allah (swt) anywhere, so why not the bathroom? Is Allah (swt) not there in the bathroom, was his response. The way I look at it is that Allah (swt) is as evident as my breath, and everywhere I breath he is with me. Is there any fiqh or hadith that forbids this? Thank you for your service my friends....

Ma'salaam,

Lateef

• Advanced Member

Salaam

inshallah this reaches u all in the best of health n imaan, n welcome sis onto the right path, May Allah show u with blessings.

what my understanding is that u can praise Allah in the bathroom, for example when u wash urslf theres this dua which praises Allah for making the water clean n not najis (Dirty).

Also when one does wudhoo in the bathroom there r mustahab duas to read when washing the fash arms etc.

inshallah tht helps masalaama

sallam

It is makrooh to mention the name of Allaah in the place where one relieves oneself, out of respect for the name of Allaah so that His name will not be mentioned in a place of impurity which is the abode of the devils.

Ibn ‘Umar said: A man passed by the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) whilst he was urinating and greeted him with salaam, but he did not return the greeting. (Narrated by Muslim in his Saheeh, 370). And it was narrated that al-Muhaajir ibn Qunfudh (may Allaah be pleased with him) said: I came to the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) whilst he was urinating and greeted him with salaam, but he did not return the greeting until he had done wudoo’, then he apologized to me and said: I do not like to mention the name of Allaah unless I am in a state of purity.” (A saheeh hadeeth narrated by Abu Dawood, al-Nasaa’i and Ibn Maajah with a saheeh isnaad).

The opinion generally is he shudnt say the name aloud but in his heart:

eg

If a person is in the bathroom, then Imam Ahmad said: If a man sneezes he should praise Allaah in his heart. It may be deduced from this report that he should also say Bismillaah in his heart.

Hope u understand.

sallam

sallam

no you cant:

Abu Dawood (6) and Ibn Maajah (296) narrated that the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “These toilets are visited (by jinn), so when any one of you goes to the toilet, let him say, ‘Allaahumma inni a’oodhu bika min al-khubthi wa’l-khabaa’ith (O Allaah, I seek refuge with You from evil and from the male and female devils) before you enter.’” (Classed as saheeh by al-Albaani in Saheeh Ibn Maajah, 241).

Al-Tirmidhi (no. 606) narrated from ‘Ali ibn Abi Taalib (may Allaah be pleased with him) that the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “A screen will be placed between the eyes of the jinn and the ‘awrah of the sons of Adam when one of them enters the toilet, if he says ‘Bismillaah (in the name of Allaah) before entering.” (Classed as saheeh by al-Albaani in Saheeh al-Tirmidhi, 496).

The word hushoosh, translated here as toilets, refers to places where people relieve themselves, and it includes the “water closets” that are in people’s houses.

“Visited (by jinn)” means that they are frequented by the devils, with the intent to cause harm to people.

Khubth means evil and khabaa’ith means evil souls, namely the devils, both male and female. So one is seeking refuge with Allaah from evil and from those who do evil.

Not only is it a place od filth but a place where the devils hang out.

sallam

• Advanced Member
Salaam

inshallah this reaches u all in the best of health n imaan, n welcome sis onto the right path, May Allah show u with blessings.

As salaamualaikum Brother,

Thank you for your welcome brother and for your feed back.

But you can now welcome me as your brother...not sister... :)

Just a point of clarification....

Ma'salaam,

Lateef

• Advanced Member
we have to be respectful towards it and not take it to a place that is filthy.

u can clean urself in the bathroom(shower, wash ur hands, wudu') so u cant say bathroom is filthy, commom, we clean it every day with clorox and vim and other detergents....i usually put it under my shirt.... :donno:

• Advanced Member

According to the AB Alim Network:

QUESTION:

This Question should be answered by Ayatullah Seestani and Marhum Ayatullah Gulpaygani's Masail.

When one is wearing a necklace, bracelette or pin with Allah, our Prophet's (SAWS) name, or the name of an Imam on it, be it they are wearing it *OR* it be a Qur'anic Ayat in their wallet - are they permitted to go into the bathroom with it, or must it always be removed?

Is the ruling different if the item is directly touching the skin?

ANSWER:

Salaamun 'Alaykum,

We are allowed to go to the bathroom with pins etc. which have the names of Allah or Prophet or Imams provided this does not entail any disrespect to them. It is not wajib to remove them unless there is fear of disrespect.

Allah knows best

Liyakatali

---------------------------------------------------------------------

• Advanced Member

786/110

(salam)

Man! I remember when I asked the exact same question on this forum (old discussion forum) about necklaces and pendants, answers came in negative by the members :angry:

well! anyway, no problem :)

yalla salam

Edited by Yaali110

sallam

Well although brother 145 has posted the scholarly opinion my personal opinion is it wud be more appropriate to take it off just out of respect. I bet nobody here wud take the quran into the bathroom or wud they? Its similar here. Anyway this is only my opinion.

sallam

• Advanced Member

(bismillah)

Salam,

Actually what bro turbo said is correct if it touches the skin and we are not on wudu it becomes haram.

Well i was also wondering...many times I learn new ayats and stuff so im always saying them so that i dont forget them. And as luck would have it i'd be taking a shower and I would just automatically keep reciting them....ofcourse i mean no disrespect at all.

But u know how when once upon a time we used to listen to new songs and how we would always sing there where ever we go. Well thats what happens when i learn a new ayah or dua.... :rolleyes:

So when i catch myself I change it to a barney tune....loool. Is this wrong????. Wasalam

• 13 years later...
  • Basic Members

Salam everyone! 

Bismillah 

And here i'm thinking I was the only one. Haha

Although mine is not the barney theme :P 

Thank you everyone who contributed to this topic, may Allah (سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى) increase your knowledge! 

Fi Amanillah