Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله

Recognizing Shias

Rate this topic

Hasnain

• Advanced Member

Salam Alaikum.

Since my time here in Canada, I've lived in very small communities. Where there are few 'non-whites' let alone Muslims. So it is always a pleasure to meet Pakistanis, Indians, Arabs, Bengalis basically brown people. When I have determined some one is a Muslim usually by asking straight up, I try to guess if they are Shia :angel: Lol it just make me extra happy. So I try to look for signs that may reveal if they are shia or not. I usually look for name i.e. Hassan, Hussain, Raza, Mahdi etc, then I look at the beard style. Shias tend to keep beautiful beards, even if clean shaven there are other signs. I try to see the element of the black colour in their clothing. The most important how ever is the stone ring. Even if all that fails I try to talk something about Shias. I.e. a few days ago an iraqi came to the store. So i started a friendly conversation with him which evolved into politics. And I mention the bombings in Karbala and Najaf. Then he said, that Shaitan al Akbar was trying to create a divide, and that I don't hate the shia, it america trying to make us fight....lol I got my answer. We talked for a lil more while, he trashed the kurds :lol:, and then he left.

So do you try to guess if some one is shia or not? If yes what clues/signs do you use to determine this?

Wassalam

Edited by Hasnain

• Advanced Member

You could distinguish between them by looking at the 'aqeeq ring but these days even Sunnis wear them. So usually you can tell from the clothing as well, if the brother's trousers aren't up to his ankles, he's probably Shia :lol:

other than that, names is usually a good way coz no one called Umar or Aishah is gonna be Shia :lol:

• Advanced Member

Yaaa, Aqiq rings aren't related to Shias but Sunnis also have them in their finger.

Once i was sitting in a house there just above the door it was written "La ilaha il Allah Muhammadur Rasulallah Aliyyun Waliallah" and i got it that it was Shia house, i know a lot of place where i hang out having Shia sighns.

like the Names of 12 Imams (as), Ya Ali (as).

One point to perfectly diffrentiate is Sunni suffix the name of Ahlul Bait with (ra) while Shia use (as).

hey i thaught to put "Ya Ali (as)" on the head of my bike when i bought it, but later kept it untouched.

I sometime use the keychain which is metallic cutout name "Ali (a)" but it put scratches on surface so i dont use it so often.

I am surprised when my professors, colleagues and friends ask me "Are you Shia?"

One a guy was checking sign for shia when he checked me and said are you Shia, it was Ashura and he obviously was confused.

But any way i take pride to get conferred with title of "Shia" if it come because of my love for Maula Ali (as) which i proudly retain within me.

Edited by Mazher's

• Advanced Member

It's not about the pride of being shia. It's just that one doesn't want to turn each meeting to some one from back home into a sect fight! What if they are not shia, and they don't like the way we questioned them etc. I am happy to see any one from back home, more happy to see Muslims, and happiest to see Shias :D

• Advanced Member

or ask them straight, be honest when you ask, and dont try to steal their tongue, thats how evil people do

be a man and ask: are you a shia or a sunni?

you got nothing to fair!!!

I cant take people who steal the tongue

• Advanced Member
shias have a noor on their face ! ,,,,

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yeah!

No offence meant BUT

Some non shias also 'claim' that they can recognize any shia by looking at their face.But they say its not Noor its *****,i mean starts with L

Edited by Jat

• Advanced Member

LOL..

When I was a kid and used to accompany my mum when she used to go shopping, it was so often that shopkeepers would ask if she was shia (ofcourse only the shias used to ask this question)..

And I used to be like, eh, how could they tell that..

And well me, people think I am a hardcore wahabi for some reason (I asked a couple and they said it is because of my name..). When I was prep. for SAT, a fellow came to me during the recess and dont know how we started talking about shias and well I think I told him I am one, and he was like: You know me and the other guy (his friend) thought either you are a hardcore wahabi or an extremist shia.. LOL

Oh and names doesn't say much... yeah I mean Aisha, Umar would tell you that the person isn't shia, but Hasan, Husain (and even Raza and Mehdi) aren't "pure shia names."

Edited by Peer

• Advanced Member

Reminds me of my recent trip to Pakistan.. When everybody was waiting in the lounge, I saw a group of elders huddling and discussing politics as Pakistanis do in such settings.. there I saw one gentle-man who had a trimmed beard, as opposed to the other elders whose beards were out of control.. anyway.. when I boarded the plane, I happen to sit right next to the same old gentleman.. Still I didn't introduced myself, till I noticed the 3rd passenger in our row, who was definitely a Hazara (you can tell it from their face)..

Since I know most Hazaras are shia, I simply asked his name, which turned out to be Abdul-`Ali (seems like this name is really popular with them!).. This was enough for me to introduce myself as a 'Jaffry'. Hearing this, the third gentle man in our row extended his hand toward me, introducing himself as Inayat Ali 'Bungish'. This was also an obvious signal of him being a momin as well (Bungish people, like Hazara, are mostly Shii). Later I found out he was a prolific writer (he had translated Murtaza Lakha's book on the present Imam (AJ) in urdu). Anyway, we were all wondering, what were the odds of 3 shias getting adjacent seats on a flight to Pakistan..

So in short, for us Pakistani shias, subtle signals (like the ring in one's hand, or last name) , and things said b/w the lines can suffice mostly..

Edited by ShahLatif

• Advanced Member
thats nice , shah latif are you hazara ?????

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Oh no, I'm urdu speaking .. but it's not too hard to identify a hazara amongst other Pakistanis. they speak farsi, are mostly from quetta/karachi, and above all, their faces are different from other groups..

There's other ethnic groups in pakistan that are mostly shii, like Baltis or Gilgitis.. Once you get to know their origin, it's almost certain that they are one of us ;-)

Oh and names doesn't say much... yeah I mean Aisha, Umar would tell you that the person isn't shia, but Hasan, Husain (and even Raza and Mehdi) aren't "pure shia names."

Peer,

I think some names do help .. like Abdul `Ali , Bunday-Ali (common among ismailis), Abduz Zahra, Qambar, Abu-zar, Qaaim, Ali madad (another ismaili name), etc. etc..

Edited by ShahLatif

• Advanced Member

(bismillah)

AA

Over the years we have known the name IMAM E ZAMANA or IMAM AL ASR, but we did not know much about HIM. All we knew was that HE is there and nothing much. A website www.contactimam.com, has been setup to give a true picture of whereabouts of IMAM AL ASR, amal for ziarat and especially contact, and a self assessment check list for anyone to know where he / she stands with regard of due towards our IMAM AL ASR, and lots of other useful information about our duties towards HIM. A must for all seekers of light and truth.

Regards

Ghulam Jafer

• Advanced Member

i can tell most of the times..

Theres this takeaway shop i normally go to and had a feeling this guy working there was a shia..

one day i walked inthere holding my book of kitab irshad (love the book). I asked for a meal and then the guy started looking at me book that i was holding.

He goes '' oh kitab irshad'' whos the author of it ..

i go sheikh mufid..

he said in aloud voice : Sheikh MUfid!!! hes a brilliant man.. I love his books, and also love the book of (forgot his name , but hes the father of sheikh mufid)..

it carries on,, but tahst how i knew he was a shia...

also i went to the mosque on thursday and after that decided i wanted a pizza. Walked inthe shop, got the pizza, sat down and ate it. Then looked around and noticed a picture of a ziyarate of imam reza (as).. :)

theres also a girl some girls in me class that got characteristics of being a shia... but me dont talk to them.. guess ill find out on muharam if their shia..

best way to find out is by asking: when is the islamic new year... all shia know its muharram..

salaam

• Advanced Member
look for his sajdah mark in the forehead

then he might have a haqiq yamani on his right hand

then there is the love of imam ali a,s

and etc

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Sajdah mark is very rare on people. Though I've only seen it on Shias, there aren't many who have it.

• Advanced Member
If you are in a hurry...just send some Lanat on Muaviya and his ilk aloud, you would know who is the Shii of Imam Ali .. howz that?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

:lol: Thats reminds me of how once we (me and my 2 bros) were stuck in traffic (in Karachi) and my brother was like playing this Noha by Nadeem Sarwar (Hussain Zindabad) so loudly that everyone was able to hear it clearly (lol with all the four windows open :lol: ) haha I was like: Soroosh, trun down the volume, it is deafening me. And he was like: Whaat? You scared or what? And I was like, what me scared? haa ok fine, just turn it up and BLOWW

Haha.. and then I looked back into the traffic following us and there was this uncle in Suzuki Hi-roof and when he saw that I looked at him he started struckin his chest to show "solidarity" ( :!!!: ) and support to us :lol: Hahaha and there was this Toyota's or whatevers coaster packed with those massive women and haha the two who were sitting on ours side haha, one of them said to the other: suna, Hussain Zindabad.. :dry: .. the other one replied: Huh snooty.gif (and turned he face back)

:lol: That was funn :D

• Advanced Member
If you are in a hurry...just send some Lanat on Muaviya and his ilk aloud, you would know who is the Shii of Imam Ali .. howz that?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

My father's mamoo (may Allah enter him in paradise), so technically my grandpa I guess although not very knowledgeful he was very wise in these matters. One day he was sitting outside his house under a tree chilling with cousins etc. And in those days train was the most important way to travel. The road his house was on was connected to the railway station. So he is sitting there and these two sunnis are walking towards the station and they're arguing with each other. One said "na baba na Yazeed ta hai aqlo'n farigh, par amir muawaiah evai'n kai na hai, oh ta bahu'n changa sahabi hai" (Yazeed was a total idiot but his father muawia was a good person) the second again spoke loudly "O bhira oh dunhai'n baray kameenay han" (Both were bad). So they see grandpa and they decide to ask him, since he seems like a knowledgeable elder. They both take the stuff they're carrying off their backs say salam to dada ji, and ask the question "Saaien Muawaiah keho jia bandah hai?" Dada ji smiled and said "Yazeed ko jan'day hivey?" Both said "Jia, saaien, o ta wada kameena banda hi" Dada replied "Ta'n bas Muawia o'n kameenay harami the wi piu hi" :lol: Muawaia uska bhi baap tha :lol:

One guy praised him, the other guy left cussing :lol:

Edited by Hasnain

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • Veteran Member
Salam Alaikum.

Since my time here in Canada, I've lived in very small communities. Where there are few 'non-whites' let alone Muslims. So it is always a pleasure to meet Pakistanis, Indians, Arabs, Bengalis basically brown people. When I have determined some one is a Muslim usually by asking straight up, I try to guess if they are Shia :angel: Lol it just make me extra happy. So I try to look for signs that may reveal if they are shia or not. I usually look for name i.e. Hassan, Hussain, Raza, Mahdi etc, then I look at the beard style. Shias tend to keep beautiful beards, even if clean shaven there are other signs. I try to see the element of the black colour in their clothing. The most important how ever is the stone ring. Even if all that fails I try to talk something about Shias. I.e. a few days ago an iraqi came to the store. So i started a friendly conversation with him which evolved into politics. And I mention the bombings in Karbala and Najaf. Then he said, that Shaitan al Akbar was trying to create a divide, and that I don't hate the shia, it america trying to make us fight....lol I got my answer. We talked for a lil more while, he trashed the kurds :lol:, and then he left.

So do you try to guess if some one is shia or not? If yes what clues/signs do you use to determine this?

Wassalam

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

First off, whats wrong with white muslim from bosnia or a revert?

Also that iraqi guy is such a classic, dissing the kurds, since saddam gone kurds have made so many enemies.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Advanced Member

there are a few ways u can tell

1. their names

2. what country their from eg:iran,iraq (probably shia) and for example if they say lebanon, u ask if their from south lebanon and ull know that their probly shia if they are

3. Shia men usually have cleaner shaven beards

4. Shia women wear their hijab to their chin, so no neck is supposed to show (atleast their supposed to)

5. Dhulfigars....though many sunnis now wear them aswell

6. indirect ways eg: ''have u prayed zohr prayers'' when its like 4:30pm lol

7. Ask them if theyve ever been to iran and about their experience if so (if u can somehow throw that in the convo lol)

8. Personally, i think shias are generally better looking and have noor on their face

and other ways...

wasalam