Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله
Sign in to follow this  
Zain

Bald headed women, hijab required?

Rate this topic

(salam)

While I was staring at the ceiling on a Saturday night, something popped up in my head. The main objective of the hijab is to cover the hair, what if a woman shaves her head, does she still technically needs to wear a hijab to cover the bald headed part?

I have a feeling most of you will say 'Yes', but I am looking at the technicality of the reason for wearing a hijab.

Edited by Zain

Salam Alaykum.

The main objective is to cover the hair? The purpose of hijab is modesty and covering beauty. This isn't to say that bald or "ugly" looking women are exempt.

Christian veiling:

1 Corinthians 11:1-17:

Be ye followers of me, as I also am of Christ. Now I praise you, brethren, that in all things you are mindful of me and keep my ordinances as I have delivered them to you. But I would have you know that the head of every man is Christ: and the head of the woman is the man: and the head of Christ is God. Every man praying or prophesying with his head covered disgraceth his head. But every woman praying or prophesying with her head not covered disgraceth her head: for it is all one as if she were shaven. For if a woman be not covered, let her be shorn. But if it be a shame to a woman to be shorn or made bald, let her cover her head. The man indeed ought not to cover his head: because he is the image and glory of God. But the woman is the glory of the man.

Salaam alaikum,

Even if she didn't have hair, she would still have to cover the areas that have to be covered. The head, the ears, the neck, etc. So it wouldn't matter if she has hair or not.

WaSalaam, Hajar

(salam)

The reason I asked this odd question is because shia doctrine use the word 'hair' as the main part to hide. The hair supposedly enhances the beauty and can create lust/attraction from others. So the reason women cover thier heads is to hide the hair, that is the main objective.

I am looking at it from a technical point of view. Similarly, can a woman wear a wig and could that be considered hijab? (You ladies following me here?)

(khala, you need an avatar change, it's been too long)

Edited by Zain

Salam Alaykum.

shia doctrine use the word 'hair' as the main part to hide.

Nowhere is "hair" mentioned in Ayatullah Mutahhari's definition of the word hijab, more emphasis is on the body:

We believe in a particular philosophy in Islam for woman's hijab or modest dress which forms our intellectual point of view and in regard to analysis, it can be called the basis for the Islamic modest dress.

Before we begin our discussion, it is necessary to look at the meaning of the word hijab which is used in our age to refer to a woman's covering. This word gives the sense of 'covering' because it refers to a veil or a means of 'covering' .

[...]

The philosophy behind the hijab for woman in Islam is that she should cover her body in her associations with men 'whom she is not related to according to the Divine Law' (na-mahram)  and that she does not flaunt and display herself. The verses of the Holy Quran which refer to this issue affirm this and the edicts of the religious jurisprudents confirm it.

Similarly, can a woman wear a wig and could that be considered hijab?

Taken from Dar Tabligh:

Please provide me with the ruling of Ayatollah Khamenei, and Ayatollah Sistani for the following question:

If a woman is wearing wig (synthetic hair) such that her own hair cannot be seen at all, is it considered as a "Hijab" in front of men, or does she have to cover it, as well? Of course, it is assumed that all other necessary parts (like neck) have been covered.

Regards

Answer:

Bismihi Ta'ala

Salaamun alaykum,

I am not aware of any fatwa on this issue, however, bearing in mind the

purpose of prescribing hijab in the first place it would not be

far-fetched to specualte that covering of even the synthetic hair would be

obligatory if not covering the same would accentuate the beauty of the

woman and attract attention to her. I am told by a learned Arab Alim that

some jurists had given permission for women to wear a wig for passport

photos if the government prohibits the head cover.

God knows best.

http://www.islamonline.net/English/News/20...article03.shtml

French Schoolgirl Shaves Head Protesting Hijab Ban

Doganay says she respected the law, but the law did not respect her religion

By Hadi Yahmid, IOL Correspondent

PARIS, October 2 (IslamOnline.net) – A French Muslim schoolgirl has shaved her head in protest at a ban on hijab in state schools.

Cennet Doganay, 15, took off her hijab as she was entering the Louis Pasteur Lycee high school in Strasbourg, eastern France, only to reveal a bald head.

Doganay, of Turkish descent, told reporters outside her school that she respected the law, but the law did not respect her religion.

Her mother told French daily Le Monde on Saturday, October 2, that her heart broke after seeing her daughter as such, but vowed to stand by her child till the end.

France has triggered a controversy by adopting a bill banning hijab and religious insignia in public schools.

The US-based Human Rights Watch (HRW) dismissed the French move as "discriminatory".

Former French Interior and incumbent Finance Minister Nicolas Sarkozy has long opposed the law, warning it would provoke a backlash among Muslims, who would view it as an "insult and punishment".

Despair

Abdullah Milson, an official at the self-styled pro-hijab March 15 Committee, told IslamOnline.net that the Doganay’s incident is a telling example of the despair and disappointment of veiled schoolgirls, who want to strike a balance between religion and education.

He said the committee has been following up Doganay’s ordeal for a month, regretting the school’s officials refusal to even allow her in with a bandana.

Fatmah Al-Zehawi, chairperson of the French Women’s League, said Doganay’s "somewhat extremist" protest was driven by a deep sense of disappointment at the French move.

The March 15 committee was set up as a reaction to the anti-hijab law.

Comprising Muslim and non-Muslim figures and representatives of Islamic organizations in France, the body helps veiled girls psychologically and caters for those expelled by their schools for holding on to their headscarves.

In September, two Muslim sisters were expelled from Henri Wallon Lycee school in the Paris northern suburb of Aubervilliers for wearing hijab.

According to a Reuters count, about 120 schoolgirls across France insisted on keeping their headscarves when school resumed on September 2, the date when the anti-hijab law came into effect.

School officials said only 19 girls were still insisting on wearing their headscarves in the Strasbourg

(salam)

Salam Alaykum.

Nowhere is "hair" mentioned in Ayatullah Mutahhari's definition of the word hijab, more emphasis is on the body:

Taken from Dar Tabligh:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Definitions will vary. Some are detailed while others pretty vague, but I have noticed others where they use the word 'hair' specifically.

According to Aya. Shirazi:

"As for the standard and criteria for Hijaab according to the Teachings of Islam, the Hijaab for a Muslim is:

To cover her hair and body such that even the shape of her body is not apparent on the outside of the Hijaab to the onlooker."

http://www.shirazi.org.uk/women.htm

An excerpt:

"This makes even greater sense when we consider the word “adornmentâ€. A woman’s adornment clearly would indicate her bosom, but it even more likely indicates her hair. Without a doubt, a woman’s hair is one of her greatest adornments. Women take pride and great effort in styling their hair and making it look appealing. This, along with the fact that there is no logical reason why she needs to have her hair uncovered, serves as a great indication that it is part of her adornment to be covered according to this verse."

http://www.al-islam.org/reflectionsnewmuslim/4.htm

An excerpt:

"The hair has its own beauty which adds to the beauty of the body, in the same way that bodily parts like the legs do with their beauty. They produce a special bodily effect, and this is what we know from the advertising media, which constantly draw attention to the hair and the legs."

http://www.al-islam.org/worldyouth/7.htm

This may seem like a petty query. I know the essence of hijab is modesty, but I am looking at it from a technicality perspective. The main reason for head covering seems to be used to cover the hair, because it is an adornment as stated above. If the attraction (hair) does not exist, what exactly is the significance of covering the bald scalp from religious point of view.

I know this is odd and may seem like an insignificant issue, but I am using this scenario to break down in detail regarding the objective of hijab.

Ok, I changed it, how's this one? I like it.

A horse? :lol: I'll send you a PM with some good ones, if you don't like any, you can keep the horse :squeez:

Edited by Zain

Salaams

It doesnt matter if the woman is bald or not because Some men find bald women attractive (allahu alim what goes in other men's head) while other men find a woman attractive with hair, its psycological aswell. All depends on what the man fancies So either way a female must Wear hijab.

Dua's & Salams

Salam Alaykum.

Bro Zain, here's what you said:

because shia doctrine use the word 'hair' as the main part to hide.

What makes up shia doctrine? Like you said definitions will vary. Here Aya. Shirazi does not only stress 'hair':

According to Aya. Shirazi:

"As for the standard and criteria for Hijaab according to the Teachings of Islam, the Hijaab for a Muslim is:

To cover her hair and body such that even the shape of her body is not apparent on the outside of the Hijaab to the onlooker."

I see what you mean though, the word "hair" is used separately and covering the hair is usually what many consider is the main idea of hijab. If she has her entire body covered so that the shape is not showing, but leaves her head uncovered because she is bald, I don't believe it's permissible (I think there would be more bald Muslim women around if that were the case), but do check with your marja' and let us know.

Edited by faithmuslima

Guest blessedflower

(bismillah) (salam)

You guys are absolutely, rediculously hilarious!! :D

First of all, why would you wonder whether a bald woman needs covering or not. And as for men fancying different things: I once read an article that a man who lived on a farm with horses, liked his mare so much that he actually ''married'' her. Gosh, men sure are funny creatures!

Apparently, since men and women are supposed to look 'different' from each other, a woman who shaves her head bald is imitating a man, and since such an act is forbidden she mustn't anyway. In other words she should not shave her head to begin with.

Whether this is true or not remains to be seen, and I'm not sure I even believe it to be true, I'm just surprised nobody raised this point sooner.

Guest blessedflower

(bismillah) (salam)

Other then the women who are genetically bizarre no normal woman would want to go clean shave on her head. However, there are victims of cancer and other ailments who loose their hair COMPLETELY: my own aunt was being slow-poisoned by her inlaws (during her first marriage) and she ended up loosing every single strand. She was then referred to a hakeem and that dude gave her housefly feces, literally, to apply on her scalp regularly. She then got some really nice hair but well that was just an example that females don't have to shave or loose hair intentionally. Head shaving is mostly seen here in the west and well aside from that there is also a lot of gender switching which is haram anyway. I doubt if any good 'muslima' would go bald just for the heck of it.

"All depends on what the man fancies So either way a female must Wear hijab.

by selfrealization"

Well I personally know boys who prefer hijabi girls. That is, they consider the hijab more attractive and more noble!

Edited by asda123

"All depends on what the man fancies So either way a female must Wear hijab.

by selfrealization"

Well I personally know boys who prefer hijabi girls. That is, they consider the hijab more attractive and more noble!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

But the pervy ones don't admit that they actually find it a turn on, some sort of tease. Sickos.

Salam Alaykum.

It could be her nobility that makes her more attractive. But nonetheless, "the best thing for a woman is for her not to see a man, and for a man not to see her." :D

WHat scares me is last week i was in bed and just thinking when suddenly i also started to wonder about a bald woman and hijab!!!! Im glad im not the only crazy one here!lol

Guest blessedflower

(bismillah) (salam)

Sis new2shia, human beings are the most unique creation of Allah (swt), Masha'Allah. Our brains consist of countless cells that store all kinds of information, whether we 'think' of it all consciously or not. The things we think concsiously we know but the things that we don't 'think' of are embedded in the unconcious part. At times, when we are all alone, either really tired or really alone (loners :P), or just sitting in the bathroom or staring at the ceiling on a sleepless night, we do come accross some of the bizarre info hiding in the back of our brains. And yes, at times the things that can come in our brains really lead to a good belly-aching laughter. And the most interesting ones, the sickest you can say, or the bizzare ones, spring up when we're really very tired, both mentally and phsycally. So don't worry, cheer up and go on with wondering about the occasional odd stuff. :lol:

At times, I find myself wondering had Allah created us in such a way that we had only one eye, one nostril (instead of two) and just a mouth...what would we really look like!? :!!!: lolzzz...