Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله
Sign in to follow this  
syedhasan

SHIA-SUNNI UNITY

Rate this topic

SHIA-SUNNI UNITY

SIZE=7]The centuries-old Shia-Sunni differences are the major obstacle to Muslim unity. The enemies of Islam to their benefit have always fanned these differences. Unfortunately, some so-called Muslim scholars on their payroll have also played a key role in keeping these differences alive.

Although I was born into a Sayyid Sunni family, I did not know of many differences while growing up as a child. Our families always respected Imam Hussain (peace be upon him) and his parents and participated in ceremonies marking the anniversary of his martyrdom (the 10th day of the month of Muharram which is called Ashura) by reciting the first chapter of the Quran (al-Fatihah) and other chapters and verses of the Quran and fasted on the ninth and tenth days of that month.

Now when I give lectures on Islam to non-Muslims, one of the questions they always ask me is if I am Shia or Sunni. I ask them if they know the difference. They have no knowledge, other than what has been given to them by the media. So they say Shias are the ones who are the bad guys, the militant version of Islam, and cause all the trouble in the Middle East these days.

These non-Muslim American audiences of mine are surprised to learn that some of the known tyrants like Saddam Hussain and troublemakers like the PLO and Hamas are all Sunnis, just as they are surprised to learn that Tariq Aziz (Iraq's Foreign Minister) was Christian and not a Muslim.

This is what I say to them about Shi'ites."If Ali Ibn Talib (cousin of Prophet Muhammad) was a Shia, then I am a Shia. If he was a Sunni, then I am a Sunni [i.e., a follower of Prophet Muhammad (pbuh)]. In Islam there are five recognized schools of Divine Law: 1) Hanafi; 2) Shafi; 3) Maliki; 4) Hambali and 5) Jafari.

The first four are called Sunni, and the fifth one, who in addition to following sayings and actions of Prophet Muhammad (pbuh), also follows those of Ali and consider him as the rightful successor of the Prophet, are called Shia. The first four have many major theological differences among themselves and according to a Christian friend of mine, "The only time Sunnis are united is when they are fighting Shias." Shi'ism started as a political movement (Shia means follower or partisan) to help Ali become successor of Muhammad (pbuh).

Around every successful popular figure, there are some admirers whose own future interests rest with the rise of their leader. Thus in Indiana, we have "Friends of Lugar Club", who are hoping that some day Senator Richard Lugar will become a US President. Nationally, we now have a "Hillary Rodham Clinton Fan Club" with 4,000 members! Thus, there were the Followers of Ali Club, which later on became a political movement. During the initial battles with unbelievers, Ali, the Sword of Islam, was in the forefront and defeated and killed many of their leaders whose children and grandchildren, even when they became Muslims, always remembered who killed their father (animosity).

Ali was raised by Prophet Muhammad as a child so he knew Islam very well. Thus, when he became a judge, his judgments were based on strict Islamic principles, much to the disappointment of many who expected him to be lenient to the rich and powerful. He was so well respected and trusted by both Caliph Abu Bakr and Umar, that in difficult cases they asked his opinion.

Nevertheless, I tell my non-Muslim audience that both Shia and Sunni have many things in common. They both believe in One God (Allah), follow the same Prophet Muhammad (pbuh) as the last Prophet, offer five daily-prescribed prayers, perform the prescribed fast in the month of Ramadan, go to Mecca for the pilgrimage (hajj), read the same Quran, and pay the poor-due.

However, my answers can only satisfy my uninformed non-Muslim audience. The Sunni brothers, misguided by western propaganda, who are ready to embrace non-Muslims (especially the white ones), in the pretext of invitation to Islam, will not do so for Shia. They are ignorant Sunnis. Our job as a missionary should be to invite both groups to the true Islam and not chase them out. There is a movement in the Sunni world to have Shias labeled as disbelievers. I have been told that Shaykh Bin Baz of Saudi Arabia has declared an edict that the meat of the People of Book (Jews and Christians) is permissible for Sunni Muslims to eat but not the meat slaughtered by Shias.

There are scholars on both sides, like Imam Khomeini and Shaykh Shaltut of al-Azhar who have done their best to minimize these differences and bring unity, but it is not working due to the misinformation prevailing in the common masses of Sunnis about Shi'ism. Thus I am listing their misconceptions of Shia belief and practices. For answers, I have consulted two Shia scholars in America. Dr. A. S. Hashim of Washington and Imam Muhammad Ali Elahi of Detroit.

Professor Seyyed Hossein Nasr wrote to me "to ignore and not waste time in responding to such wrong allegations." He also mentioned that "a great deal of money and effort is being spent in the last few years to fan the fire of hatred between Shia and Sunni in the Persian Gulf region with obvious political and economical fruits for powers to-be." However, in the interest of Islamic unity, I must deal with the questions rather than shun them. Please note that Imam Jafar (peace be upon him), founder of the Shia school of law, was the teacher of Imam Abu-Hanifa (peace be upon him).

Misconception #1: Shias have a different Quran. They add another 10 chapters to the original Quran.

Response: Not true. I have checked many times Quran kept in Shia homes and mosques. I still find it the same as the original Quran. More recently, I took care of an Iranian lady patient hospitalized here. I saw a copy of the Quran by her side. I borrowed it from her and browsed through cover-to-cover. In Arabic it was the same as our Quran. Of course, since I did not know the Persian language, I can't say much about the translation. It is a sin to even say that the Quran can be changed or added to by Shia when God protects it.

Misconception #2: Some Shia considers Ali as God.

Response: Not true. It is disbelief to even think of such a thing. During the time of Ali, some pagan groups called Gholat did consider Ali as Lord. When he found out, they were burned to death.

Misconception #3: Shias have different declarations of faith and they add to the call to prescribed prayer.

Response: The declaration to become a Muslim, as administered to non-Muslims, is the same. Some Shia add to themselves, "Ali is a friend of God (pbuh) or Ali is a spiritual leader of God," after the call to prescribed prayer, but not as part of the call to prescribed prayer.

Misconception #4: Shias do not perform Sunnah prayers. Sunnah prayers are non-obligatory prayers performed by Prophet Muhammad.

Response: Shias do perform non-obligatory prayers, 36 cycles per day in total, but call it Nawafil and not Sunnah.

Misconception #5: Some Shia believes the Angel Gabriel made a mistake and prophet hood was meant for Ali and not Muhammad (pbuh).

Response: Not true. No Shia thinks of such false claims. "Only demented minds think of such questions."

Misconception #6: Shias slander and ridicule the first three caliphs (Abu Bakr, Umar and Uthman) and Prophet Muhammad's wife, Ayisha.

Response: Shia considers the first three caliphs as companions and administrators, but not spiritual leaders (Imams). Imam Jafar Sadiq, whose mother and grandmother came from the line of Abu Bakr, said of Abu Bakr, "He gave me birth twice." Ayisha is respected by Shias as the"Mother of Believers," as Ali respected her when he sent her back from Basra to Madinah after the Battle of the Camel. If some Shia do slander the three caliphs and Ayisha, they do it out of ignorance and should ask God's forgiveness. (As we have witnessed how Imam Khomeini The Shia bravely declared death of Salman Rushdie -The author of Satanic Verses who abused the wife of Prophet Ayesha and Shia Leader declared blasphemy, just for his Fatwa the whole western countries became against Iran. See how much price did Shia pay to defend Ayesha - while Saudi Arabia, Kuwait, UAE etc. etc. as the Sunni government were silent they did not defend Ayesha. Now who loves Ayesha?)

Misconception # 7: Shias combine all five prayers into one prayer in the evening.

Response: Not true. In Shia mosques, whether in Iran or the USA, all five daily prayers are performed. Shia do combine noon and afternoon and evening and night, but Shia scholars recommend performing them separately. Such combinations may not be ideal, but better than not praying at all. How can a Sunni who does not pray at all be better than a Shia who combines prayers?

Misconception # 8: Shias do not pay zakat (poor-due).

Response: Not true. They not only pay 2.5% left over from savings as zakat, but also an additional 20% as Khums or general charity. However, they prefer to pay directly to the needy rather than corrupt Sunni government.

Misconception #9: Shias practice temporary marriages (Mutah).

Response: Mutah (temporary marriages) was allowed during the time of Prophet Muhammad (pbuh) and he himself practiced it. Ibn Zubayr was born out of the temporary marriage. Later on Caliph Umar prohibited it due to social reasons as the Islamic world was rapidly expanding. Shias discourage Mutah but do not consider it prohibited. Some do abuse this. As a temporary privilege during travel, it is better than adultery.

Misconception #10: They consider Imams infallible and above the Prophets.

Response: Not true. All prophets are born Prophet but as mentioned in Quran about Abraham that after passing the test, a prophet becomes a leader (Imam). Muhammad (pbuh) is the Prophet (Nabi), Messenger (Rasul) and leader (Imam). Imams are carriers of the message of Islam. Shias consider Ali only as an Imam and not prophet.

With the little knowledge I have, I have tried to do my best as a Sunni in defending my Shia brothers in Islam with the hope and prayer to God Almighty that He will "instill love in the heart of the believers" and bring us closer to each other so that we jointly can fight our common enemy, Satan and his followers.

May God forgive my mistakes in this article and this book (Amin).

"Knowledge is better than wealth because it protects you while you have to guard wealth. It decreases if you keep on spending it but the more you make use of knowledge, the more it increases. What you get through wealth disappears as soon as wealth disappears but what you achieve through knowledge will remain even after you."

BY:

Dr. Shahid Athar M.D. is Clinical Associate Professor of Internal Medicine and Endocrinology, Indiana University School of Medicine Indianapolis, Indiana, and a writer on Islam.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

fiamanallah ~~~~~~~~~

iltams edua~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Syed Hasan Abbas~~~~~~~~~~~~~

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

All we got to do is unite. Then we can solve all the problems that are prevalent in our muslim countries, like poverty. Once that is accomplished, the rest of the world wouldn't ridicule us, but until then, we need to keep working towards unity. If you believe in Allah, the Prophet Muhammad, and the Quran, you are muslim. Period.

Tehran policy, affinity among faiths

http://www.iribnews.ir/Full_en.asp?news_id=213975

04:50:11 È.Ù

Beirut, Nov 20 - Secretary General of the World Assembly for Proximity among Islamic Schools of Thought Ayatollah Mohammad Ali Taskhiri said here Saturday that goals of the assembly was in compliance with Tehran's strategic objectives.

Speaking to reporters after a two-day gathering of the assembly, Taskhiri said that affinity among the Islamic faiths and practical independence of the senior Muslim clerics were major parts of Tehran's strategic policy.

As for choosing the Lebanese capital as the venue for meeting of the assembly's senior officials, Taskhiri said that Muslim clerics were more comfortable in Beirut than anywhere else as they could enter Lebanon easier and also could exchange their views without any pressure from other governments.

Taskhiri added that representatives from different Muslim faiths including Maleki, Shafei, Hanafi, Hanbali and from three groups of the Shiite faith were members of the assembly and that the aim of all was to work for a better future for Muslims.

He noted that in addition to the Muslim clergymen, a number of Islamic intellectuals, thinkers and senior figures who live in western countries have also attended the meeting.

The meeting of the World Assembly for Proximity among Islamic Schools of Thought concluded its work in Beirut on Friday evening by releasing a statement in support of all suppressed Muslims nations.

Guest DjibrilCisse

You are right to give credit to Sheikh Shaltout and Syed Khomeini, both have orked very hard for unity.

I believe in unity as long as we dont give up our principles. Shias and Sunnis can unite as muslims and still have a different ideology. The key point is respecting the other persons differences.

(salam) & YaAliMadad2.gif

TO ALL,

There are too many differences between SHIA'S & SUNNI'S School of thought.

Major difference is in QALMA & USOOL-E-DEEN.

SHIA's recite QALMA as

Qalma.gif

Usool-e-Deen

TAUHEED

ADAL

NABOWAT

IMAMAT

QAYAMAT

SUNNI'S recite

LA ILLAHA ILLALLAH, MUHAMMED UN RASOOLALLAH

Usool-e-Deen

TAUHEED

NABOWAT

QAYAMAT

In Islam there are five recognized schools of Divine Law: 1) Hanafi; 2) Shafi; 3) Maliki; 4) Hambali and 5) Jafari.
The first four are called Sunni, and the fifth one, who in addition to following sayings and actions of Prophet Muhammad , also follows those of Ali and consider him as the rightful successor of the Prophet, are called Shia. The first four have many major theological differences among themselves and according to a Christian friend of mine, "The only time Sunnis are united is when they are fighting Shias." Shi'ism started as a political movement (Shia means follower or partisan) to help Ali become successor of Muhammad .

Brother first you check when & where & how the above four Schools of Divine Law/FIQAH are come.

JANAB NOMAN BIN SABIT the Founder of FIQAH-E-HANAFI, When he created this FIQAH and on which period of KHALIFA it was come in public as a divine Law.

JABAB MALIK BIN UNS the Founder of FIQAH-E-MALIKI,When he created this FIQAH and on which period of KHALIFA it was come in public as a divine Law.

same like above is SHAAFI & HAMBALI.

Also check before this above noted four FIQAH'S to whom SUNNI'S follows,

R the SUNNI'S are on the wrong path before the coming of above FIQAH'S

and be come in right path after converted to HANAFI, MALIKI, SHAAFI & HAMBALI.

JAFARI School of Divine Law/FIQAH and follower of JAFARI FIQAH was known as JAFARI after the arrival of above four FIQAH'S and there is no any discontinuty in the Divine Law/FIQAH since from PROPHET (pbuh) .

After PROPHET (pbuh) , his successor JANAB HAZRAT IMAM ALI (as) , his successor JANAB HAZRAT IMAM HASAN (as) , his successor JANAB HAZRAT IMAM HUSSAIN (as) , his successor JANAB HAZRAT IMAM ZAIN-UL-AABDEEN (as) , his successor JANAB HAZRAT IMAM BAQIR (as) & his successor JANAB HAZRAT IMAM JAFFER-E-SADIQ (as) and upto the 12th IMAM JANAB MEHDI (as) there is no difference or any dispute in Divine Law/FIQAH.

Shi'ism started as a political movement (Shia means follower or partisan) to help Ali become successor of Muhammad .
Dr. Shahid Athar M.D. is Clinical Associate Professor of Internal Medicine and Endocrinology, Indiana University School of Medicine Indianapolis, Indiana, and a writer on Islam.

SHIA means follower or Freind.

There are two groups called SHIA'S in history of ISLAM

The SHIA'S of MAVIYYAH (LANATULLAH) (b/coz he murdered to many SAHABI'S of PROPHET (pbuh) in JANG-E-SIFAIN & in his age of dynasty.) & at the time of MAVIYYAH (LA) SUNNI'S known as ??? u know very well as u r the writer on Islam.

& the Second one is

The SHIA'S of IMAM HAZRAT ALI (as) and they are known as SHIA'S OF ALI (as) from the time of PROPHET MUHAMMED (pbuh) , in time of First Caliph JANAB ABU BAKER, 2nd Caliph JANAB UMER & the 3rd Caliph JANAB USMAAN. as U know the name of Great & Popular SHIA'S of that time.JANAB SALMAN FARSI (ra) , JANAB ABU ZAR GHAFFARI (ra) , JANAB MIQDAD (ra) ,JANAB AMMAR YASSER (ra) JANAB MEESAM (ra) JANAB MALIK ASHTER (ra) and too many others SAHABI'S of PROPHET (pbuh) .And now a days word SHIA is particularly used for follower of HAZRAT IMAM ALI (as) only.

Brother if u don't mind please inform me how can u became writer on Islam, as u don't know the meaning of SHIA'S. I m pray for your readers to GOD BLESS THEM.

and fasted on the ninth and tenth days of that month.

Fasting on the day of ninth & tenth is the sunnat of BANI UMMAYAH (LA).

After all there is only one FORMULA for ITTEHAD BAN-UL-MULAIMEEN is that.

If SHIA'S leave ALI-UN-WALIULLAH from QALMA

or

If SUNNI'S recite ALI-UN-WALIULLAH in QALMA.

otherwise the Unity of SHIA'S & SUNNI'S is like

ITTEHAD BAN-UL-MUNAFIQEEN

hadeess8.gif

Edited by LILANI

"ma i5talafa ra2yan illa kan a7adahoum 3alla 7aq wal-2a5ar 3alla ba6el"

fa kayfa yajtami3 al7aq ma3a alba6el?illa an yatafahamo liyajido man howa 3alla 7aq wa man 3alla ba6el!..falma6loob howa altafahoum wa tark alta3assob baddal anna na7lam bil ta7alof wa kilon minna ra2yaho 3akes al2a5ar.

^What I mean is that unity is to unite our thoughts,not to say 'oh people we are

united',...why don't we unite for real instead of thinking of being united by name infront of others or infront of the media,true unity is to comprehend the 2 shcool of thought and the 2 becomes one...nothing but the truth...teke this example...we can't unite "yes" and "no" together, unless one of them sumbit,(to the truth) right?

if I'm wrong please correct me.

(salam) & YaAliMadad2.gif

TO ALL BROTHERS & SISTERS,

"ma i5talafa ra2yan illa kan a7adahoum 3alla 7aq wal-2a5ar 3alla ba6el"

fa kayfa yajtami3 al7aq ma3a alba6el?illa an yatafahamo liyajido man howa 3alla 7aq wa man 3alla ba6el!..falma6loob howa altafahoum wa tark alta3assob baddal anna na7lam bil ta7alof wa kilon minna ra2yaho 3akes al2a5ar.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Brother

I can't read & understand what you quoted above, as I don't know the meanings of numerical letters quoted in between.

What I mean is that unity is to unite our thoughts,not to say 'oh people we are

united',...why don't we unite for real instead of thinking of being united by name infront of others or infront of the media,true unity is to comprehend the 2 shcool of thought and the 2 becomes one...nothing but the truth...teke this example...we can't unite "yes" and "no" together, unless one of them sumbit,(to the truth) right?

What do u mean that we became MUNAFIQ,

U mean we change the our basics infront of MEDIA.

IMAM HAZRAT ALI (as) Says.

If I cut a faithful Muslim into pieces to make him

hate me, he will not turn into my enemy and if I give

all the wealth of this world to a hypocrite to make

him my friend he will not befriend me. It is so

because the Holy Prophet  (pbuh) has said: " O Ali! No

faithful Muslim will ever be your enemy and no

hypocrite will ever be your friend. "

Molasalamat.gif

Assalamo Alaikoum bro Lilani,

I MEANT THE CONTRARY OF WHAT YOU UNDERSTOOD.

I WAS ACTUALLY TELLING,WHY SHOULD WE BECOME MUNAFIQ,shouldin't unite for real?this is what I was saying and I was against the outside unity without the inside one,you misundertand what I meant...

wassallam

(bismillah)

(salam)

What does Shia-Sunni Unity mean? Does it mean that Shia should change their beliefs and become Sunni OR does it mean that Sunni should give up their beliefs and become Shia???????

For me, at the intial stage, UNITY means that Shia and Sunni should agree to disagree. Understand the differences and work togather on issues that are common to both. After all, they have the same God, same Prophet (pbuh) and the same Book (Quran). They should respect each other and live like good neighbours.

How is it that we can have good relations with Christians and Jews who live next door or work with us, but we cannot have such relations b/w Shias and Sunnis?

WS

Edited by Orion

How is it that we can have good relations with Christians and Jews who live next door or work with us, but we cannot have such relations b/w Shias and Sunnis?

Because the christians and jews don't call us disbelievers and kill us in massive numbers because of religious reasons.

Forget "unity" if you are talking about religion etc.

We can have cordial ties with elements of Sunnism which are against Panarabism. This would include:

1) Pakistanis/Indians/Bengalis who are nationalist yet religious and modern (i.e not Mulla Umar/Taliban idiots).

2) Turks who are like above.

3) Malaysians/Indonesians/Singaporeans like above.

4) Central Asian people like above.

As far as Arabs go, the Arabs will never tolerate Shiism so I don't see a future in them. Even secular atheist Arabs hate Shiism.