Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله

lipbalm

Rate this topic

Destiny

• Advanced Member

(bismillah)

Assalam alaykum,

Not sure sis, by taste I'm assuming you mean the flavoured lip balms? I guess there are always the non-taste alternatives... or would they also invalidate the fast?

wasalam

• Advanced Member

(salam)

Do you plan on eating the lip balm?

If you feel that you will be tempted to repeatedly lick your lips just to taste the lip balm then it might be a good idea for refrain from using any.

As for people who are not temped to consume wax flavored mosturizers..i don't see a problem in using them.

• Advanced Member

Salaam alaikum,

I don't think it's so much that you intend to eat it, it's kind of hard not to eat it. I mean we all lick our lips every now and then. See I just did it. LOL I can't keep lip balm on my lips very long. So I wouldn't do it. Whether or not it's allowed, I don't know.

I believe this was discussed last year on ShiaChat, or maybe before that. Try doing a search on it, I think someone posted something on it before.

Ooops I just did it again. :blush:

WaSalaam, Hajar

• 2 weeks later...
Guest sweeter than salsabeel

i always lick my lips... but i think its alloweed to put lip balm on.. i mean even if u lick the lip balm ur not swallowing it... sometimes chapped lips are unbearable cuz they crack up and sometimes even bleed. lol... but yeah... say for example brushing teeth is only makruh (its on sistani's website) .... and theres more of a chance of swallowing toothpaste and water when brushing teeth then there is of swallowing ur lip balm... lol so i think lip balm is allowed.. tho if im mistaken pleez correct me.

• Advanced Member

Salam Alaikoum...

I've heard that all types of moisturizers, whether its lip balm or any other body & face moisturizer, invalidates the fast. Doesn't quite make sense to me though since these products are not passing by your throat. Same thing for kohl (eye liner), they say that because it penetrates the eye, it gets into your body somehow and that also invalidates your fast.

Allahu a3lam... :S

wa/salam

• 2 weeks later...
  • Advanced Member

Assalamu Alaikum..

Firstly, EID MUBARAK EVERYONE!!

Ok, so I was wondering about this too, the whole lip balm and makeup while fasting thing, so I emailed S. Fadullah about it, and this is his reply: http://www.geocities.com/psy_babylove/fadullah-lipbalm.jpg ... it's in Arabic and I dont read Arabic.. and I know this question is a lil late, but he takes a while to reply... so can someone please translate this for me? Thank you sooo much!

Wasalams,

Crystal..

• 10 months later...
  • Advanced Member
Salam Alaikoum...

I've heard that all types of moisturizers, whether its lip balm or any other body & face moisturizer, invalidates the fast. Doesn't quite make sense to me though since these products are not passing by your throat. Same thing for kohl (eye liner), they say that because it penetrates the eye, it gets into your body somehow and that also invalidates your fast.

wa/salam

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

:o Is this true?? That face moisturizer invalidates your fast?? That does not make sense to me! I always moisturize and cannot possibly do without!! :cry:

Can someone please confirm this? What if you put on the moisturizer AFTER Suhoor and after Fajr?? can someone please confirm this for me!! :cry:

And how can anyone not moisturize their hands? Especially when it's cold. My gosh, I carry aveeno with me at ALL TIMES! :cry:

Guest blessedflower
Salam Alaikoum...

wa/salam

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It does penetrate your skin. Even a bath (where you sit in water) is not allowed for ladies ......

• Advanced Member

^ But water does penetrate your skin when you take bath. Doesn't matter if you actually sit in the shower for a while or not.

It depends on the Niyah. With the lipbalm and chapsticks, ofcourse if you have a habbit of licking your lips, then don't put on anything, regardless of the flavor, even if its flavorless. The niyah would be that you are in complete control of yourself, so watch out for acts that you do intentionally.

Same goes with moisturizing or oiling, you intentionally wear moisturizes ofcourse for the purpose of putting a layer on your skin to save it from the weather. I doubt however, that has anything to do with invalidating a fast. In Canada and US and even the northern areas of Pakistan, one needs to moisturize bcz of low temperatures.

Ws

Arjumand

• Advanced Member
It does penetrate your skin.  Even a bath (where you sit in water) is not allowed for ladies ......

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

(salam)

I hope you do not mind. It's there in Makroohat only!!!

About these moisturizer or creams or whatever and some people saying it penetrates the skin and fast is void.

I don't believe on SOME PEOPLE SAY or I HAVE HEARD. Give me a source!

Things which make a Fast void

1581. * There are nine acts which invalidate fast:

(i) Eating and drinking

(ii) Sexual intercourse

(iii) Masturbation (Istimna) which means self abuse, resulting in ejaculation

(iv) Ascribing false things to Almighty Allah, or his Prophet or to the successors of the Holy Prophet

(v) Swallowing thick dust

(vi) Immersing one's complete head in water

(vii) Remaining in Janabat or Haidh or Nifas till the Adhan for Fajr prayers

(viii) Enema with liquids

(ix) Vomiting

Things which are Makrooh for a Person Observing Fast

1666. * Certain things are Makrooh for a person observing fast, some of them are mentioned below :

(i) Using eyedrops and applying Surma if its taste or smell reaches the throat.

(ii) Performing an act, which causes weakness, like blood-letting (extracting the blood from the body) or going for hot bath.

(iii) Inhaling a snuff if one is not aware that it might reach the throat; and if one is aware that it will reach the throat its use is not permissible.

(iv) Smelling fragrant herbs.

(v) For women, to sit in the water.

(vi) Using suppository, that is, letting into rectum a stimulant for bowels.

(vii) Wetting the dress which one is wearing.

(viii) Getting a tooth extracted or doing something as a result of which there is bleeding in the mouth.

(ix) Cleaning the teeth with a wet toothbrush.

(x) Putting water or any other liquid in the mouth without a good cause.

It is also Makrooh for a fasting person to court or woo his wife without the intention of ejaculation; or to do something which excites him sexually. And if he does it with the intention of ejaculation, and no ejaculation takes place, his fast, as an obligatory precaution, will be deemed void.

----------------

Where is it written in the above rulings of Ayatollah Sistani (May Allah give him long life), that moisturizers will void the fast? :huh: It's not there even in the Makrooh things. :squeez:

I just checked in The Code of Practice for Muslims in the West also. It's written no where there even.

I searched for Google a few times as well. I found nothing. I search Ayatollah Sistani's (May Allah give him long life), http://www.najaf.org/ and http://www.sistani.org/ as well but found nothing! :squeez:

How can people say JUST say that as it penetrates the skin, your fast will be void and not in order???

By applying moisturizer or any thing as such, it's not giving you any kind of energy which will help you in your Fasting time! There's even a question asked about nozzle spray used for respiratory helping. Ayatollah has answered that if it does not enter the food the passage of food and drink it's allowed. Moisturizer go inside to your stomach or what? :unsure:

I am sorry if someone minds my reply like this. But I can't bear to listen comments of IT'S SAID BY PEOPLE. People say alot and most of the times, it's not always true.