Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله

celebrating birthdays of Prophets and Imams

Rate this topic

• Advanced Member

as salaamu 'alaykum,

forgive me but i am still very new to shi'ism. So i am asking a very basic question. According to a calendar i have we celebrate the birth of the Prophet(saw) and the Imams(as). But i was wondering if there was any precedent to this practice by our Prophet(saw). Its just i am currently in a discussion with someone who said that the Prophet did not condone such activities, so could you please provide me with evidence that this sunni brother will accept(ie from sunni sources) to back up our position, also could you please explain to me our position on this matter,

Shukran in advance

Adil

• Advanced Member

Aslamo 3alikum,

Well, I think Bro. Orion or Hezbullahi or Ya Aba 3abdillah or Zareen or Zainabia (Lol) will provide you the reference...

But, the birthdays of Prophets and Imams and even some scholars are celebrated by shias and sunnis both... :)

It is just the wahabis who dont celebrate it and label it as "bidah"..

Anyway, Shia Scholars think that this is Sharae'r of Allah (swt) and one who upholds His Sharaer will be rewarded (according to Quran)

ma'salama

sallam

As far as i think and knw...and not only wahabis but celebrate birthdays is not allowed. I mean yes its a day of happiness but 2 reasons y it shudnt be done:

1) it resembles the christians and jews and thus its not allowed. As the prophet (saw) said whosoever imitates the people he is one of them.

2) It was never celebrated by the Prophet (saw)

• Advanced Member
sallam

As far as i think and knw...and not only wahabis but celebrate birthdays is not allowed. I mean yes its a day of happiness but 2 reasons y it shudnt be done:

1) it resembles the christians and jews and thus its not allowed. As the prophet (saw) said whosoever imitates the people he is one of them.

2) It was never celebrated by the Prophet (saw)

Many sunni countries celebrate it. In my country it was a public holiday.

sallam

Yes i know they do..but that doesnt mean its right.Like i said the prophet said:

‘Whoever innovates something in this matter of ours [i.e., Islam] that is not part of it will have it rejected.’” (Narrated by al-Bukhaari, Kitaab al-Sulh, 2499).

And

“Whoever innovates something in this matter of ours (Islam) that is not a part of it will have it rejected.” ( Saheeh Muslim)

1) Jews and christians celebrate these events. Do we imitate them? Yes! Brother what do muslims do on eid milad? They go out..they eat..they get a day off in muslims countries...what else? Is that beneficial?

“You would follow the ways of those who came before you step by step, to such an extent that if they were to enter a lizard’s hole, you would enter it too.” They said, “O Messenger of Allaah, (do you mean) the Jews and Christians?” He said, “Who else?” (Reported by al-Bukhaari and Muslim).

true or not?

It was narrated from Abu Qutaadah al-Ansaari (may Allaah be pleased with him) that the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) was asked about fasting on Mondays. He said, “On that day I was born and on that day the Revelation came to me.” (Narrated by Muslim, 1978). On Thursdays deeds are taken up and shown to Allaah.

With the birth of Eid milad un nabi...people have actually forgotten the real meaning of how important the birth of the prophet (saw) is. He was the greatest man the best way to celebrate his coming to this world is to try and follow him and his sunnah.

sallam

Edited by salmany
  • Advanced Member

Bro Salmany,

You are assuming that all the people who celebrate that day is doing bad things. That is simply not true. If it is celebrated in the wrong way, then it is bad, but if it is done in a good way, then it is ok.

As-Suyuti and Ibn Hajar think it is a commendable act as long as the intentions and actions are good.

• Advanced Member
sallam

Brother majority do it the wrong way...very few actually do it the right way..im not assuming i know..

sallam

Bro Salmany,

You cannot say it is not allowed when there are reputable Sunni scholars whom allow it. Rather you should say it is allowed provided it is done the right way. Do you agree?

Edited by 145_turbo_16V
  • Advanced Member

not mandatory, u dont have to celebrate it....

sunnah madhab celebrate it also,

small part of article from ahlul sunnah website:

Allah Said: Rejoice in the Prophet

To express happiness for the Prophet coming to us is an obligation given by Allah through Qur'an, as Allah said in Qur'an: "Of the favor and mercy of Allah let them rejoice" (Yunus 58).

This order came because joy makes the heart grateful for the mercy of Allah. And What greater mercy did Allah give than the Prophet himself, of whom Allah says, "We did not send you except as a mercy to human beings" (Al-Anbiya' 107).

Because the Prophet was sent as a mercy to all mankind, it is incumbent not only upon Muslims, but upon all human beings to rejoice in his person. Unfortunately, today it is some Muslims who are foremost in rejecting Allah's order to rejoice in His Prophet.

complete article:

http://www.geocities.com/Athens/Forum/3508...08/mawlid.htm#2

• Advanced Member
yes i knw sunnis do my point is the correct way of celebrating it.

and wat is the correct way for u, and wat do u disapprove of?....

when i attended a mawlid, wat they did was hand out candies and sweets and read verses from the holy quran, and poetry / nasheeds praising the holy prophet(saww),

but i think i see where salmany is coming from, becuz, maybe some might go overboard with the celebrations...

Edited by hidrali
  • Advanced Member

Aslamo 3alikum,

Salmany: Bro. isn't wearing pants and shirts is also like imitating the Kafirs?? B)

But as, Rasoolillah (saww) said: Learn Good things, doesn't matter from where you get it [sorry for the twisted words but I dont remember the exact words]

So, I think, celebrating the birthdays of Rasool (saww) and Imam (as) can come under the shadow of above hadith [if this was really taken from christians]

And another thing, bro. as you have mentioned it yourself.. what do christians do at Christmas?? drink, dance, go out for dinners, arrange parties at their home to enjoy... right?

BUT, this is not what people do on 12th Rabi-ul-Awwal or 17th Rabi-ul-Awwal.

They arrange gatherings of Milad, they recite salawat on Rasoolillah (saww), they send food to orphan-houses and madressahs..

right? I haven't seen any Muslim (shia or sunni) celebrating the birthday of Rasoolillah(saww) in the way christians celebrate their christmas...

:)

ma'salama

• Advanced Member

Using Salmany's logic from Bukhari

Volume 4, Book 55, Number 609:

Narrated Ibn 'Abbas:

When the Prophet came to Medina, he found (the Jews) fasting on the day of 'Ashura' (i.e. 10th of Muharram). They used to say: "This is a great day on which Allah saved Moses and drowned the folk of Pharaoh. Moses observed the fast on this day, as a sign of gratitude to Allah." The Prophet said, "I am closer to Moses than they." So, he observed the fast (on that day) and ordered the Muslims to fast on it.

http://www.usc.edu/dept/MSA/fundamentals/h...tml#004.055.609

Did the Prophet imitate the jews???

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ofcourse the shia's do not believe in such ridiculous hadeeths, where our Prophet gets taught His religion from Jews!

• Advanced Member
Yes i know they do..but that doesnt mean its right.Like i said the prophet said:

‘Whoever innovates something in this matter of ours [i.e., Islam] that is not part of it will have it rejected.’” (Narrated by al-Bukhaari, Kitaab al-Sulh, 2499).

Salaam alaikum,

I don't think this applies. If you say celebrating the birthdays is required, then that would be different.

WaSalaam, Hajar

• Advanced Member

I think we're all missing key points here:

Milad un Nabi came from the Prophets Birthday. Because this is so, celebrating his birthday cannot be bidah.

Shia salaat ends with 3 allahuakbars, I once heard that the Prophet did this at the end of Salaat because someone announced Imam Hasan [or Husain's] birth to him.

Also, I have asked my sunni friends why they dont celebrate. They insist that 'lighting candles, like the romans and greeks' is shirk. This is illogical in that candles were used for practical purposes in the age of greeks and romans, and just because one or two pagan priests used a candle doesnt mean that I am associating candles with Allah. One other friend suggested that respecting anyone other than the Prophet is wrong. I personally thought this reasoning was foolish, and will continue to celebrate birthdays until a. forever or b. someone gives a better argument.

-

rahat

• Advanced Member

Sunnis viewpoint about Prophet celebrations

-----------------------------------------------------------------

1) Ibn al Jawzi said about the honorable Mawlid, "It is security throughout the year, and glad tidings that all wishes and desires will be fulfilled."

2)Abu Shama : Abu Shama (Imam Nawawi’s shaykh) in his book al ba’ith ala Inkar al bida` wal hawadith (pg.23) said, "One of the best innovations in our time is what is being done every year on the Prophet’s (s) birthday, such as giving charity, doing good deeds, displaying ornaments, and expressing joy, for that expresses the feelings of love and veneration for him in the hearts of those who are celebrating, and also, shows thankfulness to Allah (swt) for His bounty by sending His Messenger (s), the one who has been sent as a Mercy to the worlds."

3) al Shihab al Qastalani: Al Qastalani (al Bukhari’s commentator) in his book Al mawahib al ladunniya (1-148) said, "May Allah (swt) have mercy on the one who turns the nights of the month of the Prophet’s (s) birth into festivities in order to decrease the suffering of those whose hearts are filled with disease and sickness."

4) "Imam Al Shafie said, "Anything that has a foundation in religious law is not an innovation even if the Companions did not do it, because their refraining from doing it might have been for a certain excuse they had at the time, or they left it for something better, or perhaps not all of them knew about it."

5) Hafiz Ibn Hajar al-Haythami, Sheikh Suyuti said, "Someone asked Ibn Hajar about commemorating the Mawlid. Ibn Hajar answered, ‘Basically, commemorating the Mawlid is an innovation that has not been transmitted by the righteous Muslims of the first three centuries. However, it involves good things and their opposites, therefore, whoever looks for the good and avoids the opposites then it is a good innovation.’ It occurred to me (Suyuti) to trace it to its established origin, which has been confirmed in the two authentic books: al Sahihain. When the Prophet (s) arrived in Medina he found that the Jews fast the day of `ashura; when he inquired about it they said, ‘This is the day when Allah (swt) drowned the Pharaoh and saved Moses, therefore we fast it to show our gratitude to Allah (swt).’ From this we can conclude that thanks are being given to Allah on a specific day for sending bounty or preventing indignity or harm. What bounty is greater than the bounty of the coming of this Prophet(s), the Prophet of Mercy, on that day?"

6) king Abu Said Kawkaburi was one of the generous, distinguished masters, and the glorious kings; he left good impressions and used to observe the honorable Mawlid by having a great celebration. Moreover, he was chivalrous, brave, wise, a scholar, and just." Ibn Kathir continues, "And he used to spend three hundred thousand Dinars on the Mawlid."

Wahhabi Viewpoint

Ibn Taymiyya -In his book Iqtida' al Siratul Mustaqeem [Al hadeeth print, p. 266]. Ibn Taymiyya states, "As to what some people have innovated either to compete with Christians on the birth of `Isa u or for the love of the Prophet (s) and veneration for him, Allah might reward them for their love and ijtihad."