Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله

CURSING THE ENEMIES OF AHLUL-BAYT (AS)

Rate this topic

• Advanced Member

(bismillah)

(salam)

I was reading another post where someone said the Imams (as) did not curse and well I thought the below would help to clear this topic up and show to us all that cursing was done by the imams (as) and in fact it is recommended to curse their enemies and rewards are gained from doing so.

The article below was from a discussion that was forwarded to me (I've split it into a few posts hopefully make it easier to read inshallah).

I recommend all the shias to read every part of this article even though it is long it is very important and will clear up any issues u may have about cursing Inshallah! Allahu yahdi ma-y-yashaa' Allah guides whom he wills.

IN THE NAME OF Allah

CURSING THE ENEMIES OF AHLUL-BAYT AS

Part I

The following is a Mutawatir Hadith from different transmitters narrated from Imam al-Sajjad (as), Imam al-Baqir AS, Imam al-Sadiq AS, and Imam al-Ridha AS who said:

"There are three (types of people about them Allah said in Quran) that 'Allah will not talk to them and will not look upon them (in mercy) in the Day of Judgment and will not cleans them and for them is the painful punishment (3:77)': He who claims to be Imam assigned by Allah while he is not; and he who questions the Imamat of an Imam assigned by Allah; and he who thinks that those two have any share in Islam."

- al-Kafi, v1, p373, Hadith #4; p374, Hadith #12

- Wasa'il al-Shia, v28, p341, Hadith #34911; p349, Hadiths #34936-7

- Kitab al-Ghaiba, al-Nu'mani, pp 111-112, Hadiths #2,3

- Ta'wil al-Ayat al-Dhahira, p120, commentary of the verse 3:77

- Thawab al-A'mal, p215 from Imam al-Ridha AS

- al-Khisal, p106, Hadith #69

- Bihar al-Anwar, v30, p384; v27, p212, Hadith #114; v46, p102,

Hadith #92;

In another set of Mutawatir Hadiths similar to the above Hadith, the last category is mentioned as:

"... and he who thinks Fulan and Fulan (i.e., Abu Bakr and Umar) have any share in Islam."

- Tafsir al-Ayyashi, v1, p178, Hadiths #64,65 under verse 3:77

- Mustadrak al-Wasa'il, v18, p175, Hadiths #22427-8

- Bihar al-Anwar, v25, p111, Hadith #4; and p112, Hadiths #10, #11

from various authorities.

The following Hadith is also a good warning for those who think a fallible person can have the authority of the infallibles:

Imam al-Baqir AS said: "Whoever claims our position, that is Imamat, he is a disbeliever and a polytheist."

- Kitab al-Ghaiba, al-Nu'mani, p114, Hadith #10

- Bihar al-Anwar, v25, p114, Hadith #16

Hanan Ibn Sadir narrated:

I asked Imam al-Baqir AS about those two. He AS replied: "O Aba al-Fadhl! Do not ask me about them for, by Allah, non among us (Ahlul-Bayt) would die except that he is displeased with those two. No day passes to us except that we are angry with them. Indeed, they oppressed us and denied our rights and they were the first and foremost people who imposed themselves over us and opened the stream of injustice against us that does not stop until our Qa'im rises... By Allah! No affliction was set up against us and no trouble faced us Ahlul-Bayt except that those two founded its root. Thus upon those two 'are the curse of Allah and the angels and people all (2:161).'"

- al-Kafi, v8, p245, Hadith #340

- Bihar al-Anwar, v30, p269, Hadith #138

- Ta'wil al-Ayat al-Dhahira, p128, Hadith #4

This Hadith, among others, prove that Abu Bakr and Umar are the worst of Allah's creation. (See also another Hadith that will be quoted in the next part on poisoning the Prophet pbuh&HF).

Some laymen amongst the lovers of Ahlul-Bayt AS think that Yazid was the worst of Allah's creation. Of course, if we gather all sinful people throughout the history together (save a few) they cannot reach to the evil of Yazid (la). Yet, if we pile up millions of the copies of Yazid (la) together, they do not reach to the evilness of Mu'awiya (la). Moreover, if we pile up millions of Mu'awiya's type together, they do not reach to the wickedness of Uthman (la). And if you gather millions of Uthman (la), they do not exceed the evil of Abu Bakr and Umar (la). This is because, in reality, those two prepared killing of Imam Husain AS and other members of Ahlul-Bayt AS by their gathering Saqifa. Yazid was just a person who finished the job that those two had already arranged.

Allah said in Quran:

That they carry, on the Day of Judgment, their own burdens in full, and also of the burdens of people whom they misled without knowledge. Alas, how grievous the burdens they will bear! (16:25)

On the commentary of the above verse, Ali Ibn Ibrahim mentioned in his Tafsir:

Imam al-Sadiq AS said: "By Allah! There shall be no bloodshed, no clash, no rape, and no illegitimate confiscation of property except that its burden is on neck of those two without anything decreases from the burdens of the (people of) worlds."

- Tafsir Ali Ibn Ibrahim al-Qummi, v1, p383, under Verse 16:25

- Bihar al-Anwar, v30, p149, Hadith #4

Similar Hadith was reported from Imam Ali (as), Imam al-Sajjad AS as well as Imam al-Baqir AS, through various authorities. See:

- al-Kafi, v8, p102, Hadith # 75

- al-Tahdhib, v4, p145, Hadith #27

- Rijal al-Kashshi, p205, Hadith #361

- Bihar al-Anwar, v29, p197; v30, pp 381,388

Moreover, Salman al-Farsi narrated:

I asked the Messenger of Allah (pbuh&HF) about the verse 'On that day no one shall be punished (like) his punishment (89:25).' He pbuh&HF said: "He is Umar."

- Kitab Sulaim Ibn Qais al-Hilali, p593

- al-Ihtijaj, v1, p85

- Bihar al-Anwar, v28, p276

Similarly, Ma'ruf Ibn Kharbuz narrated:

Abu Ja'far AS said to me: "Do you know what is the interpretation this verse: 'On that day no one shall be punished (like) his punishment (89:25)'?" I said: "No." He AS said: "This is the second (i.e., Umar). Allah shall not punish anyone on the Day of Judgment like his punishment."

- Ta'wil al-Ayat al-Dhahira, p768

- Bihar al-Anwar, v30, p331, Hadith #155

In Bihar al-Anwar, v45, p328, Allama Majlisi RA quoted from book of "Dala'il al-Imama" a report narrated by Sa'id Ibn Musayyab: "When the news of the death of al-Husain AS, the slay of 18 members of his family and 53 men of his Shia, the slay of his son Ali (Asghar) within his hands, and the captivation of his family reached Medina, Abdullah Ibn Umar set out for Syria while denouncing the act of Yazid and instigating people against him. When he came to Yazid, he spoke to him harshly. Yazid brought him into a private place and showed him a letter that Umar had written it to Mu'awiya. In the letter Umar had disclosed that he was in the religion of his fathers who were idol worshippers and that Muhammad pbuh&HF was but a magician who overcame people by magic, and also advised him that he (i.e., Mu'awiya) should apparently treat the Prophet's family well but should try his best to eradicate them from the surface of the Earth and should not leave from them anyone. He also mentioned many other issues in the letter. When Abdullah Ibn Umar read it he was satisfied with it, came back to people, and told them that Yazid was right in his decision and was excused in his action."

In a report quoted in Bihar al-Anwar, previous to the above, it is quoted from al-Baladhuri (a Sunni Historian) that Abdullah Ibn Umar had written a letter to Yazid Ibn Mu'awiya in which he showed his grief with respect to the killing of al-Husain AS. In reply to him, Yazid wrote: "O the fool man! Surely we have come from the beautiful houses with wide spread carpets and a royal family, and they (i.e., the Prophet and his Ahlul-Bayt, peace be upon them) fought us over them. Therefore, if it was our right, then they have opposed our right and fought us. But if it was the right of other than us, then your father was the first who made this a Sunna (custom) and usurped and seized this right from its people."

Referring to the story mentioned in Quran about Samiri: "Then he (i.e., Samiri) brought out before the (people) a calf whose body gave forth a lowing sound: so they said: This is your god (20:88)" Is'haq Ibn Ammar narrated:

I asked Imam Musa Ibn Ja'far AS to tell me about those two (i.e., Abu Bakr and Umar). He AS said: "the first was in the place of calf and the second was in the place of Samiri."

- Thawab al-A'mal, p215

- Jami'ul Akhbar, p143

- Bihar al-Anwar, v30, p407, Hadith #4

It is noteworthy that according to our traditions when Imam al-Mahdi AS rises, he will take out the body of those two in their original shape by Allah's will, and he will then burn them with fire just as Musa AS burnt the golden calf (See Kamal al-Din, v2, p377; al-Ihtijaj, v2, p449; Bihar al-Anwar, v52, p283).

Abu Hamza al-Thumali RA narrated:

I asked Ali Ibn al-Husain AS about Fulan and Fulan (i.e., Abu Bakr and Umar). He AS said: "Unto them be the curse of Allah, all His curse. By Allah, those two died disbelievers and polytheists to Allah, the Great."

- Basa'ir al-Darajat, p269, Hadith #2

- Bihar al-Anwar, v27, p29, Hadith #1; v30, p145, Hadith #1

Similar report has been narrated from Imam Muhammad al-Baqir AS:

Imam al-Baqir AS said: "Surely the two Shaikhs left this world while they did not repent and were not mindful of what they did to the Commander of Believers, peace be upon him, thus for them 'are the curse of Allah and His angels and people all (2:161).'"

- al-Kafi, v8, p246, Hadith #343

- Bihar al-Anwar, v30, p269, Hadith #137

Allah said in Quran:

Those who denied/disbelieved, and died while disbelieving, on them are the curse of Allah, the angels, and mankind all. They will be in (curse) forever. And their penalty will not be lightened, nor will they be respited. (Quran 2:161-2)

The above verse proves that all mankind should curse the disbelievers as this is Allah's command to everyone. Anyone who refrains from Allah's order falls under His curse. Ali Ibn Mahziyar narrated:

Imam al-Jawad AS said: ... The Messenger of Allah pbuh&HF said: "He who is reluctant to curse whomever Allah has cursed, upon him is the curse of Allah."

- Rijal al-Kashshi, p528, Hadith #1012

- Bihar al-Anwar, v25, p318, Hadith #85

Curse is of two types: Voluntary curse (La'n al-Tashri'i) and Non-voluntary curse (La'n al-Takwini). The first type is the curse that Allah commanded us to do and if we choose to obey Allah's order then we will get reward based on our voluntary action like in all other commandments. However, the above-mentioned verse (2:161) also points to a second type of curse that is not our choice. The verse states that all mankind curse the disbelievers, which means all molecules of every human being curse them. This type of curse is not in our hand and is done automatically according to Allah's will. What we should do is to choose to accord ourselves with the will of Allah.

On the commentary of the above verse, Imam al-Askari AS stated that even the bodies of disbelievers curse their owners:

Imam al-Askari AS said: " Allah said: 'Those who denied/disbelieved' means those who rejected the prophet-hood of Muhammad pbuh&HF and the Wilaya of Ali Ibn Abi Talib AS, 'and died while denying, on them are the curse of Allah', means Allah makes it binding on them to be far away from Mercy and far removed from bounty, 'and the angels and mankind all' means all of them curse them as they are commanded to curse the disbelievers. In addition, the (soul of the) disbelievers also say 'the curse of Allah be upon the disbelievers' and thus they are under the curse of themselves. 'They will be in it forever' means they will be under curse (for ever). In the Hell fire, 'their penalty will not be lightened' even for one day or one moment, 'nor will they be respited' means their punishment shall never be postponed and shall never leave them."

- Tafsir Imam Hasan al-Askari AS, p572, Hadith #334

- Bihar al-Anwar, v6, p189, Hadith #33

In the above Hadith, Imam al-Askari AS has also pointed to the meaning of curse and mentioned that curse means becoming far away from Allah's mercy. In fact "cursing" and "being away" have been used in Quran interchangeably (See 11:44,60,68,95). As an example:

And they were pursued by a Curse in this life,- and on the Day of Judgment. Ah! Behold! for the Aad rejected their Lord and Cherisher! Thus *Away* with Aad, the People of Hud! (11:60)

Arabic books on lexicon also confirm this meaning of curse. According to al-Nihaya, Ibn Athir, v4, Ch. L&A, "La'n means driving away/ removal/ sending away from Allah." According to Lisan al-Arab, v13, p388, "La'n means to drive away/ dismissal from goodness. It also means punishment. Whomever Allah drives away does not join His mercy and will remain in torment forever."

In fact, Allah has made distinction between verbally abusing/ bad mouthing/ reviling/ cussing (Sabb) and cursing (La'n) in Quran. The former is prohibited while the latter is commanded to be performed against the disbelievers. This distinction also shows that cursing has no relation with abuse. Umar al-Tiyalasi narrated:

Imam al-Sadiq AS recited "Revile not ye those whom they call upon besides Allah, lest they, out of spite, revile Allah in their ignorance (6:108)" and said: "O Umar! Have you ever seen anyone who reviles Allah? Verily he who reviles a friend of Allah, he has reviled Allah."

- Tafsir al-Ayyashi, v1, p373, Hadith #80

- Mustadrak al-Wasa'il, v12, p306, Hadith #14158

- Bihar al-Anwar, v27, p239, Hadith #62

Other than the fact that reviling is a forbidden act, by reviling them they will revile the believers and this would mean reviling Allah according to the above Hadith. Cursing in front of the Sunnis may also be considered reviling.

Edited by Um Ayyub
  • Advanced Member

IN THE NAME OF Allah

Part II

About cursing, there are many verses in Quran some of which were quoted before. Here, I quote some other important verses:

Those who conceal what We have sent down of the evidence and the guidance after We have made it clear for the people in the Book, are those whom Allah curses, and whom the cursers curse. (2:159)

On the commentary of the above verse: Imam al-Sadiq AS said: "We are those (cursers)."

- Tafsir al-Ayyashi, v1, p72, Hadith #41

- Bihar al-Anwar, v2, p76, Hadith #58

In another verse Allah states:

And we made them (but) leaders inviting to the Fire; and on the Day of Judgment no help shall they find. And We made a curse to follow them in this world and on the Day of Judgment they will be among the loathed (and despised). (28:41-42)

In fact, Allah has caused the curse to follow after their names on the heart and the mouth of the believers in this world. In a tradition, Imam al-Baqir (as) has given the detailed speech of the Prophet (pbuh&HF) in Ghadir Khum, among which the following words can be found:

Imam Muhammad Baqir (as) said: The Messenger of Allah (pbuh&HF) said (in Ghadir Khum): "... O folk! Verily there shall soon come after me 'leaders inviting to the Fire and on the Day of Judgment no help shall they find.' O folk! Verily Allah and I disown (Barii) them. O folk! They and their helpers and their followers shall be in the lowest depth of Fire and what evil indeed is the abode of the arrogant... They shall usurp the rule and make it their kingdom. O the curse of Allah be upon those usurpers! 'And Soon shall We settle your affairs O both ye burdens! (55:31) On you will be sent (O ye evil ones twain!) a flame of fire (to burn) and a (flash of) molten brass, and you two shall not have any defense. (55:35)'..."

- al-Ihtijaj, v1, p62

- Rawdhatul Wa'idhin, v1, p95

- al-Sirat al-Mustaqim, v1, p303

- Bihar al-Anwar, v37, p211, Hadith #86

The following verse of Quran would be a sufficient proof for the fact that those who love the cursed Khulafaa are not believers. Allah, the Glorious, stated in Quran:

لا تَجِدُ قَوْماً يُؤْمِنُونَ بِاللَّهِ وَ اَلْيَوْمِ اَلآْخِرِ يُوادُّونَ مَنْ حَادَّ اَللَّهَ وَ رَسُولَهُ وَ لَوْ كانُوا آباءَهُمْ أَوْ أَبْناءَهُمْ أَوْ إِخْوانَهُمْ أَوْ عَشِيرَتَهُمْ‏

"You will not find any people who believe in Allah and the Last Day, but love those who opposed Allah and His Messenger, even though they were their fathers or their sons, or their brothers, or their kindred (58:22)":

Not only love, but also doubt in their Kufr makes the person disbeliever. Imam al-Sadiq (as) said:

قَالَ الصَّادِقُ ع مَنْ شَكَّ فِي كُفْرِ أَعْدَائِنَا وَ الظَّالِمِينَ لَنَا فَهُوَ كَافِرٌ

"Whoever doubts in the disbelief of our enemies and those who have wronged us, is a disbeliever."[ ]

Sulaiman al-A'mash narrated:

عَنْ مُحَمَّدِ بْنِ أَحْمَدَ بْنِ شَاذَانَ عَنْ نُوحِ بْنِ أَحْمَدَ بْنِ أَيْمَنَ عَنْ إِبْرَاهِيمَ بْنِ أَحْمَدَ بْنِ أَبِي حُصَيْنٍ عَنْ جَدِّهِ عَنْ يَحْيَى بْنِ عَبْدِ الْحَمِيدِ عَنْ قَيْسِ بْنِ الرَّبِيعِ عَنْ سُلَيْمَانَ الأَْعْمَشِ عَنْ جَعْفَرِ بْنِ مُحَمَّدٍ عَنْ آبَائِهِ ع قَالَ قَالَ رَسُولُ اللَّهِ ص يَا عَلِيُّ أَنْتَ أَمِيرُ الْمُؤْمِنِينَ إِلَى أَنْ قَالَ ص لَوْ أَنَّ عَبْداً عَبَدَ اللَّهَ أَلْفَ عَامٍ مَا قَبِلَ اللَّهُ ذَلِكَ مِنْهُ إِلاَّ بِوَلاَيَتِكَ وَ وَلاَيَةِ الأَْئِمَّةِ مِنْ وُلْدِكَ وَ إِنَّ وَلاَيَتَكَ لاَ تُقْبَلُ إِلاَّ بِالْبَرَاءَةِ مِنْ أَعْدَائِكَ وَ أَعْدَاءِ الأَْئِمَّةِ مِنْ وُلْدِكَ بِذَلِكَ أَخْبَرَنِي جَبْرَئِيلُ فَمَنْ شاءَ فَلْيُؤْمِنْ وَ مَنْ شاءَ فَلْيَكْفُرْ

Ja'far Ibn Muhammad al-Sadiq (as) narrated from his father that the Messenger of Allah (pbuh&HF) said, "O Ali! If a servant worships Allah for a thousand years, Allah shall not accept from him except by means of your Wilaya and the Wilaya of the Imams in your offspring. And verily your Wilaya shall not be accepted except by means of keeping aloof from your enemies and the enemies of the Imams in your offspring. This is what Gabriel has informed me 'thus let him who will, believe (it), and let him who will, reject (it) (18:29)'"[ ]

In another Hadith we read:

قال الصادق ع ... كذب من ادعى محبتنا و لم يتبرأ من عدونا

Imam al-Sadiq (as) said, "He who claims to love us but he does not keep aloof from our enemy, is a liar."[ ]

• Advanced Member

Also:

روي عن الرضا ع أنه قال كمال الدين ولايتنا و البراءة من عدونا

Imam al-Ridha (as) said, "The perfection of religion is (accepting) our Wilaya and keeping aloof from our enemy."[ ]

In another Hadith, Ali Ibn Mahziyar narrated:

Imam al-Baqir (as) said: ... The Messenger of Allah (pbuh&HF) said: "For he who is reluctant in cursing whomever Allah cursed, upon him is the curse of Allah."

- Rijal al-Kashshi, p528, Hadith #1012

- Bihar al-Anwar, v25, p318, Hadith #85

I would like to also recall the following tradition in connection to verse 33:4. It shows how love and hate (in other words, Tawalla and Tabarra) should come together. Abu Jarud narrated:

في رواية أبي الجارود عن أبي جعفر ع في قوله ما جعل الله لرجل من قلبين في جوفه فيحب بهذا و يبغض بهذا فأما محبتنا فيخلص الحب لنا كما يخلص الذهب بالنار لا كدر فيه من أراد أن يعلم حبنا فليمتحن قلبه فإن شاركه في حبنا حب عدونا فليس منا و لسنا منه و الله عدوهم و جبرئيل و ميكائيل و الله عدو للكافرين

About the verse "Allah has not assigned unto any man two hearts within his body (33:4)", Imam al-Sadiq (as) said, Ali Ibn Abi Talib, peace be upon him said, "Allah does not gather our love and love of our enemy within a human's heart. Certainly, Allah did not give two hearts to man ... Then he who (really) loves us, will purify his love for us like the purification of gold by fire which does not leave any dirt in it. Thus if you want to know how much you love us, you should test your heart; if you have shared the love our enemies in your heart, you are not of us and we are not of you. Allah is their enemy, and so are 'Gabriel and Michael, and Allah is the enemy of the disbelievers. (2:98)'"[ ]

By cursing the enemies of Ahlul-Bait (as), we are invoking the wrath of Allah on them, and re-stating the other part of our allegiance to Ahlul-Bait (as), that is Tabarra (keeping aloof from their enemies). As we saw, the traditions are clear to the fact that Tawalla without Tabarra is meaningless.

When a person who really loves someone, see that another person shows hostility to his friend, it is naturally expected that he opposes and dislike his friend's enemy; otherwise, it shows that such love was not a true one, it was rather only a show due to hypocrisy. This is purely a rational reality, which is also testified in Quran:

لا تَجِدُ قَوْماً يُؤْمِنُونَ بِاللَّهِ وَ اَلْيَوْمِ اَلآْخِرِ يُوادُّونَ مَنْ حَادَّ اَللَّهَ وَ رَسُولَهُ وَ لَوْ كانُوا آباءَهُمْ أَوْ أَبْناءَهُمْ أَوْ إِخْوانَهُمْ أَوْ عَشِيرَتَهُمْ‏

"You will not find any people who believe in Allah and the Last Day, but love those who opposed Allah and His Messenger, even though they were their fathers or their sons, or their brothers, or their kindred (58:22)":

Thus, true love is always accompanied with true hate, and one does not really love Ahlul-Bait (as) unless he also becomes a hater of their enemies. Several authorities narrated:

قال حدثني أحمد محمد بن علي بن عمر الزهري قال حدثنا أحمد بن الحسين بن المفلس عن زكريا بن محمد عن عبد الله بن مسكان و أبان بن عثمان عن بريد بن معاوية العجلي و إبراهيم الأحمري قالا دخلنا على أبي جعفر ع و عنده زياد الأحلام فقال أبو جعفر يا زياد ... هل الدين إلا الحب و البغض ثم تلا هذه الآيات الثلاث كأنها في كفه وَ لكِنَّ اللَّهَ حَبَّبَ إِلَيْكُمُ الإِْيمانَ وَ زَيَّنَهُ فِي قُلُوبِكُمْ وَ كَرَّهَ إِلَيْكُمُ الْكُفْرَ وَ الْفُسُوقَ وَ الْعِصْيانَ أُولئِكَ هُمُ الرَّاشِدُونَ فَضْلاً مِنَ اللَّهِ وَ نِعْمَةً وَ اللَّهُ عَلِيمٌ حَكِيمٌ و قال يُحِبُّونَ مَنْ هاجَرَ إِلَيْهِمْ و قال إِنْ كُنْتُمْ تُحِبُّونَ اللَّهَ فَاتَّبِعُونِي يُحْبِبْكُمُ اللَّهُ وَ يَغْفِرْ لَكُمْ ذُنُوبَكُمْ وَ اللَّهُ غَفُورٌ رَحِيمٌ‏

Imam Baqir (as) said: "Is religion other than love and hate?" He (as) then recited: "but Allah has made you love the Faith and has made it beautiful in your hearts, and He has made you hate disbelief, wickedness, and rebellion: such indeed are those who grow in righteousness (49:7)", and "they love those who migrate towards them (59:9)", and "Say, If ye truly love Allah, Follow me: Allah will love you and forgive you your sins: For Allah is Oft-Forgiving, Most Merciful. (3:31)"[ ]

The last quoted verse in the above Hadith shows that even following Allah's commandments is the result of loving Allah. Fudhail Ibn Yasar has also narrated a similar Hadith from Imam al-Sadiq (as) with the difference that the Imam (as) said: “Is faith other than love and hate?”[ ] Another interesting tradition states that the religion is but love. This is consistent with the above-quoted traditions since hating the enemies of Allah should only be for the sake of loving Allah. Thus, hating is not an independent issue. It is rather a result of love, and having true a love alone for Allah implies having hatred against his enemies. In fact, hating the enemies of Allah is a duty and is of the best deeds. The Sunni and the Shia have unanimously reported:

عَنِ النَّبِيِّ ص أَنَّهُ قَالَ أَيُّ الأَْعْمَالِ أَفْضَلُ قَالُوا ... قَالُوا اللَّهُ وَ رَسُولُهُ أَعْلَمُ قَالَ الْحُبُّ فِي اللَّهِ وَ الْبُغْضُ فِي اللَّهِ وَ فِي حَدِيثٍ اُخْرَى قَالَ رَسُولُ اللَّهِ ص الْحُبُّ فِي اللَّهِ فَرِيضَةٌ وَ الْبُغْضُ فِي اللَّهِ فَرِيضَةٌ

The Apostle of Allah (pbuh&HF) said: "The best deeds are love for the sake of Allah and hate for the sake of Allah." He (pbuh&HF) also said in another Hadith: "Love for the sake of Allah is a duty (Faridha) and hate for the sake of Allah is a duty."[ ]

To be a believer one should know whom Allah hates so as to disassociate from him. Dawud Ibn Farqad narrated:

Imam al-Baqir (as) said: "Of the signs of a believer are these three: He knows Allah, and (knows) whom He loves and (knows) whom He hates."

- al-Kafi, v2, p126, Hadith #9

- al-Mahasin, p263, Hadith #332

- Bihar al-Anwar, v66, p246, Hadith #20

al-Alaa Ibn al-Fudhail narrated:

عَنْ مُحَمَّدِ بْنِ الْحَسَنِ عَنْ أَحْمَدَ بْنِ إِدْرِيسَ عَنْ جَعْفَرِ بْنِ مُحَمَّدِ بْنِ مَالِكٍ عَنْ مُحَمَّدِ بْنِ الْحُسَيْنِ بْنِ زَيْدٍ عَنْ مُحَمَّدِ بْنِ سِنَانٍ عَنِ الْعَلاَءِ بْنِ الْفُضَيْلِ عَنِ الصَّادِقِ جَعْفَرِ بْنِ مُحَمَّدٍ ع قَالَ مَنْ أَحَبَّ كَافِراً فَقَدْ أَبْغَضَ اللَّهَ وَ مَنْ أَبْغَضَ كَافِراً فَقَدْ أَحَبَّ اللَّهَ ثُمَّ قَالَ ع صَدِيقُ عَدُوِّ اللَّهِ عَدُوُّ اللَّهِ

Imam al-Sadiq (as) said, "He who loves a disbeliever has indeed hated Allah, and he who hates a disbeliever (for the sake of Allah) has indeed loved Allah." Then he (as) said, "The friend of the enemy of Allah is an enemy of Allah."[ ]

Allah commands us that we should disassociate from the disbelievers and should avoid friendship with them. Thus we can never unite with the disbelievers. Our cooperation with them at times in a worldly matter is only due to Taqiyya, and it is a diplomatic, superficial, and circumstantial relation. If such apparent relation would lessen and overshadow our disgust from them in our heart, then it should be certainly avoided.

The outcomes of loving and hating for the sake of Allah:

Imam Ali (as) said: "O Nawf! Certainly, no one has higher status before Allah than a person who cries due to his fear from Allah, loves for the sake of Allah, and hates for the sake of Allah. O Nawf! He who loves for the sake of Allah, does not prefer/choose (anything) over His love. He who hates for the sake of Allah, does not reach His enemy to any interest. This way, you can achieve the reality of the faith."

- Mustadrak al-Wasa'il, v12, p222, Hadith #13939/17

- Bihar al-Anwar, v41, p22, Hadith #13

Imam al-Sadiq (as) said: "Of the trustworthiest handhold of faith is: to love for the sake of Allah, to hate for the sake of Allah, to give for the sake of Allah, and to stop/hold back for the sake of Allah.

- al-Kafi, v2, p125, Hadith #2

- al-Amali, al-Saduq, p578, Hadith #13

- Tuhaf al-Uqul, p363

- Bihar al-Anwar, v66, Hadith #236

The Apostle of Allah (pbuh&HF) said: "If the deeds of a servant (in terms of greatness) reaches to the boundaries of sky, they will not benefit him except by means of love for the sake of Allah and hate for the sake of Allah."

- Mustadrak al-Wasa'il, v12, p225

Is'haq Ibn Ammar narrated:

Imam al-Sadiq (as) said: "Anyone who does not love based on religion and does not hate based on religion, has no religion."

- al-Kafi, v2, p127, Hadith #16

- Wasa'il al-Shia, v16, p177, Hadith #21285

- Bihar al-Anwar, v66, p250, Hadith #27

The curse of Allah simply means being away from His Mercy. This curse automatically happens to those who deserve it, and we cannot add anything to that list. Our attempt to curse is just a way of acting in harmony with Allah's will and we do it due to Allah's command and to accord our voice with the voice of all Angels and Messengers and Prophets and Proofs. If we do not want to follow what they do, how could we expect to be counted among them as their followers? According to Quran and Hadith, this curse covers the enemies of Allah, His Messenger, and his Ahlul-Bayt (peace be upon them) as well as all those who die while they are the followers of such enemies.

Of course, Allah delivers our curse to the correct mailbox as He has foreknowledge of the destiny of individuals. So this does not prevent us from educating the Sunnis and others, as we do not know if they die with wrong belief. We invite them to the right path and at the same time we curse anyone who would die with such belief.

It should, however, be noted that we should not curse the enemies of Ahlul-Bait (as) in public where it would hurt the feelings of some people and would cause animosity against us. They may feel we are reviling their idols, and thus they may revile us. Love and hate have to do with heart and what is in the heart should not be necessarily exposed everywhere.

We can have diplomatic unity with our Sunni step-brothers, but we should remember that this is just diplomacy (Taqiyya). We have no real thing in common with them to build a real unity. One may say we have Allah, the Prophet (pbuh&HF) and Quran in common. Well, the titles are in common, but when we go to the details they are different from head to toe. They believe in a god that has firmly sited on his thrown and has such organs as face and hands and can be seen like the full moon. They say every parts of their god will eventually perish except his face. They have totally different understanding of the verses of Quran, so much so that nothing could come out of it as a common ground. They also believe in a sinful prophet with such a low character who sometimes talks non-sense, goes under magic spell, receives revelation from Satan by mistake, and occasionally attempts suicide. They uphold a totally different Sunna from their 'prophet'. In fact, the Sunnis have tampered with each and every Islamic Beliefs and Practices that makes a real unity with them just a wishful thinking. Thus we can only adopt diplomatic relations with them when necessary, and this was they way the Shia treated the Sunnis in the past.

In fact, cursing the enemies of Ahlul-Bait (as) has a lot of reward for us beside what it increases in their punishment. (Remember the Ziyarat Ashura where we read: "O Allah Double their punishment...") Of course, Allah does not act unjustly by overpunishing a sinner, and, thus, the above means Allah does not waive their sins as we curse them. In other words, by cursing them will Allah make them farther away from mercy and they will be punished closer to what they deserve, and His punishment is painful indeed.

The Terms Jibt and Taghoot:

Thes two terms have been used in Quran and Allah said that the followers of these two are the accursed ones:

Hast thou not turned thy vision to those who were given a portion of the Book who believe in Jibt and Taghut, and they say to the disbelievers that they are better guided in the (right) way than the believers are! They are (men) whom Allah hath cursed: And for he whom Allah curses, you will not find any helper. (4:51-52)

On the commentary of the above verse, it is narrated through various authorities that:

Imam al-Baqir (as) said: "... 'Hast thou not turned thy vision to those who were given a portion of the Book who believe in Jibt and Taghut' means Fulan and Fulan (i.e., Abu Bakr and Umar), 'and they say to the disbelievers that they are more guided in the (right) way than the believers!' means they say to the misguiding Imams who invite to the Fire that they are more guided in the way than the family of Muhammad (pbuh&HF) and the believers in their Wilaya. 'They are (men) whom Allah hath cursed: And he whom Allah curses, for him you will not find any helper.'..."

- Tafsir al-Ayyashi, v1, p246, under verse 4:51-52

- Basa'ir al-Darajat, p34, Hadith #3

- Bihar al-Anwar, v23, p289, Hadith # 17

Also commenting the verse:

... Those who believe in him, honor him, help him, and follow the Light which was sent down with him: it is they who will prosper (7:157)"

Imam al-Baqir (as) said:

"... They (are those who) believe the Imam (as) and avoid worshipping al-Jibt and Taghut (who are) Fulan, Fulan, and Fulan. And worship is obeying (fallible) people..."

- al-Kafi, v1, p429, Hadith #83

- Bihar al-Anwar, v24, p353, Hadith # 73

Jibt and Taghut as the title of Abu Bakr and Umar are also mentioned in Du'aa Sanamay Quraish, which I provided in another article. It can also be found in many Zayaraat including Ziyarat Jami'a al-Kabira.

Moreover, Taghut has been mentioned in many verses of Quran. It means the tyrannical leaders that have not been assigned by Allah. We recite in Ayatul Kursi:

Allah is the Wali of those who believed. He takes them from the depths of darkness into the light. And those who denied, their patrons are the Taghut who take them from the light into the depths of darkness. They are the companions of the Fire who dwell therein for ever. (2:257)

In connection to this verse, Abdullah Ibn Abi Ya'fur narrated:

I said to Imam al-Sadiq (as): "I mix with people and it increases my surprise when I see some people who do not believe in your Wilaya and follow Fulan and Fulan, are trustful, truthful, and have commitments. On the other hand, I find some people who believe in your Wilaya but are not trustworthy, truthful, and committed individuals."

The Imam (as) sat down and faced me angrily and said: "There is no religion for him who has accepted the Wilaya of an unjust Imam who is not from Allah, and there is no reproach/sarcasm for him who has (truly) accepted the Wilaya of a just Imam who is from Allah (min Allah). Haven't you heard the saying of Allah: 'Allah is the Wali of those who believed. He takes them from the depths of darkness into the light' which means He takes them from the darkness of the sins into the light of repentance and forgiveness due to their believing the Wilaya of all the just Imams from Allah. 'And those who denied, their patrons are the Taghut who take them from the light into the depths of darkness.'"

I said: "Does not Allah mean non-Muslims when He states 'those who denied'?" He (as) replied: "What kind of light a Kafir (i.e., a non-Muslim) has while he is Kafir so that Allah takes them to darkness? Surely, Allah meant by this that they were in the light of Islam, but since they accepted any unjust Imam who is not from Allah they went out from light of Islam into darkness of Kufr due to the Wilaya of them, and Allah made Fire incumbent for them along with (other) disbelievers, and said 'They are the companions of the Fire who dwell therein for ever.'"

- Kitab al-Ghaiba, al-Nu'mani, p132, Hadith #14

- Tafsir al-Ayyashi, v1, p138, under the verse 2:257

- Ta'wil al-Ayat al-Dhahira, p102, under verse 2:257

- Mustadrak al-Wasa'il, v18, p174, Hadith # 22425

- al-Kafi, v1, p375, Hadith #3 (abridged version)

- Bihar al-Anwar, v23, p322, Hadith #39

• Advanced Member

IN THE NAME OF Allah

Part III

A brother mentioned:

B> muhammad taqi shariati, in his book "imamah and khilafah in

B> the qur'an and sunnah" relates an account of imam ali (a),

B> when his companions were advocating punishment of a'ishah.

B> imam (a) said:

B>

B> lahaa hurmatuhaa l-awlaa wal-hisaabu `alaa Allah

B>

B> to her belongs a primary dignity and the

B> accounting is with Allah.

B>

B> the greatest proof against your assertion is the respectful

B> treatment a'ishah received by imam `ali (a) after the battle

B> of jamal.

I wonder if the author has also quoted the previous sentences of the above clip, or has taken this part out of context to suit his case. Anyways, here is the full text of what he is referring to:

"As for Fulana (i.e., Aisha), she was in the grip of womanly views, and malice was boiling in her bosom like the furnace of the blacksmith. If she were called upon to deal with others as she dealt with me, she would not have done it. For her, afterwards, is her original Hurmat, and reckoning is with Allah, the Most High."

- Nahj al-Balagha, Sermon 156

The following are some of the points that are worth considering about the above sermon:

1- Her hatred towards Imam Ali AS

2- Allah's judgment on her

3- The type of her Hurmat

4- Whether there is any conflict between this and other reports on

cursing her, and if so, then what our duty is.

As for the first point, we can see in the very same phrase that Imam Ali AS states she is full of hatred against him to the extent that she hates no one more than him, and if anyone would have resumed Caliphate other then him, she wouldn't have treated him this way! This proof of her hatred is enough to figure out that she was a disbeliever, polytheist, and hypocrite, and this can be proven by the traditions that are even considered authentic by the Sunnis, where the Messenger of Allah said: "O Ali! Non but a believer would love you, and none but a hypocrite would nurse grudge against you" (Sahih Muslim, English version, Chapter XXXIV, p46, Tradition #141; Sahih al-Tirmidhi, v5, p643; Sunan Ibn Maja, v1, p142; Musnad Ahmad Ibn Hanbal, v1, pp 84,95,128; Tarikh al-Kabir, by al-Bukhari, v1, part 1, p202; Hilyatul Awliyaa, by Abu Nu'aim, v4, p185; Tarikh, by al-Khateeb al-Baghdadi, v14, p462)

As for the Shia sources, we have over twenty similar traditions in more than 10 high rank books of Hadith that convey a message similar to the following:

Umm Salama narrated: I heard the Messenger of Allah saying: "O Ali! None would hate you except three: [Edited Out], hypocrite, or he whose mother conceived him while she was menstruating." (Ilal al-Sharaye', part 1, p142, Hadith # 6; Wasa'il al-Shia, v2, p318, Hadith # 2242; Bihar al-Anwar, v27, p150, Hadith #19)

In a very similar tradition, it is narrated that the Apostle of Allah pbuh&HF said to Aisha:

"Do not annoy me about my darling (i.e., Ali AS) because none would nurse grudge against him except the three: [Edited Out], hypocrite, or he whose mother conceived him during her menstruation." (al-Yaqin, p203; - Bihar al-Anwar, v27, p155, Hadith #27)

The above does not mean that any illegitimate child will hate Imam Ali AS. It rather means that if someone hates Imam Ali AS, this is a sign that either s/he is an illegitimate issue or else s/he is just a hypocrite.

Almost all "Muslims" of the present and the past (including the Khulafaa) claimed that they love Ahlul-Bayt AS and that they do not hate them. Now, what is the definition of hate of Ahlul-Bayt AS? People's definition of "hatred of Ahlul-Bayt (as)" may be different and none of them is beneficial to our purpose since Allah does not judge based on people's definition!! Thus, we should look for a divine definition, not a man-made one. For answer, see the following interesting Hadith. Ibn Abbas narrated:

I asked the Prophet (pbuh&HF) to advise me. He pbuh&HF said: "Adhere to the love of Ali Ibn Abi Talib AS. By Him who sent me as Prophet in truth! Allah shall not accept any good deed from a servant until He questions him about the love of Ali Ibn Abi Talib AS while He knows best. If he comes to Him with his Wilaya, He shall accept his deed. However, if he does not come with his Wilaya, He shall not question him on any other thing and shall command him to Fire. O Ibn Abbas! By Him who sent me as Prophet in truth! Surely the Fire is more furious against he who hates Ali AS than a person who thinks Allah has a son..." I asked: "O Apostle of Allah! Does anyone hate him?" He pbuh&HF replied: "Yes. Some people hate him though they state that they are of my nation. This is while Allah has not placed any share for them in Islam. O Ibn Abbas! Verily one of the signs of hatred against him is their giving preference/precedence to others over him."

- al-Amali, al-Tusi, p104, Hadith #161/15 (narrated from Mufid)

- al-Fadha'il, p5 (introduction)

- Bisharat al-Mustafa, p41

- Bihar al-Anwar, v27, p219, Hadith #4

The last sentence of the above Hadith defines an important sign of hatred against Ahlul-Bayt AS. People who give precedence to those two idols (L) over Imam Ali AS, not only do not love Imam Ali AS in reality, but also have hatred of Ali AS in Allah's view. People who give preference to the opinion of fallible people over the words of Ahlul-Bayt AS also fall in this category. No need to comment on those who fought them by sword or by tongue (i.e., argued against their sayings/traditions/instructions) ... Even, there are Sunni references that state he who fights Ahlul-Bayt AS has fought the Prophet pbuh&HF, and if you put those Hadiths beside the verses of Quran relating to the destiny of those who fight the Prophet (pbuh&HF), the picture would be complete. There are Sunni reports (mentioned in the Encyclopedia) that shows Aisha even made Sajda al-Shukr when she heard the news of Martyrdom of Imam Ali AS. Her hatred towards Ahlul-Bayt AS was also reflected by the Sunnis in the words that she exchanged with Imam al-Husain AS during the funeral of Imam Hasan AS.

When Imam Ali AS stated that the accounting is with Allah, it does not mean that her destiny was not known to him AS. He is Allah who has decided on the issue and informed us in Quran that the destiny of ALL the disbelievers and hypocrites is Hell forever without any possibility of decrease in their penalty:

"Allah will gather the hypocrites and the disbelievers ALL (of them) in Hell (4:140)"

"Those who disbelieved, and died while disbelieving, on them are the curse of Allah, the angels, and mankind all. They will be in (curse) forever. And their penalty will not be lightened, nor will they be respited (2:161-2)."

"Those who disbelieve, and hinder (men) from the Path of Allah, and then die in the state of disbelief, Allah will not forgive them (47:34)."

"To those who reject Our Signs and treat them with arrogance, no opening will there be of the gates of heaven, nor will they enter the Garden, until the camel can pass through the eye of the needle: Such is Our reward for the criminals. (7:40)"

Passing camel through the eye of needle is an Arabic proverb that is used for implying the impossibility of a certain action.

"Certainly, Allah shall not forgive that partners should be set up with Him. (4:116)"

Nothing could help disbeliever for ransom and he shall never find anyone to rescue him:

"As to those who disbelieve, and die while disbelieving, never would be accepted from any of them as much gold as the earth contains, if they offer it for ransom. For them is the painful punishment, and they shall find no helpers. (3:91)"

As for her Hurmat, we have mentioned in the encyclopedia that the Hurmat of mother of believers is merely the Hurmat of marriage, that is, no one can marry her (or take her as a bondwoman after she was defeated in the battle). This Hurmat does not mean respect and love as the Sunnis try to imply. It is the sanction of marriage (meaning it is Haraam to marry her), not sanctification of the personalities. Again the following verse reminds us that love and respect for a mother of believers who opposes Allah and His Messenger is not allowed for the believers, and if anyone loves her, he will become a disbeliever:

"You will not find any people who believe in Allah and the Last Day, but love those who opposed Allah and His Messenger, even though they were their fathers or their sons, or their brothers, or their kindred... (58:22)":

Emphasizing on preserving her Hurmat was a tactic to block the way for the hypocrites who had plots to kill Aisha and put its burden on Imam Ali AS. It is not true that since Imam Ali AS did not disrespect Aisha after she was defeated in the battle of Camel, then she should have been just fine! Beside the fact that disrespecting those who are surrendered in wars is not an Islamic manner, we should realize that Imam Ali AS had had enough on the issue of the murder of Uthman as it was actually the excuse of his opponents for emerging the battle of camel (while they themselves were guilty of that murder in the first place). He AS did not intend to fall into an extra civil war with similar or even extended motives, and had no choice but to let her go in such a way that no one would attack her.

B> i don't care how many ahadith appear in bihar about cursing.

B> history has recorded how imam `ali (a) treated her, and he

B> being my mawla determines how i should behave.

I think it is quite unfair to ignore the overwhelming evidence from Quran and Hadith of Ahlul-Bayt AS, and stick to a clip out of its context. This approach does not certainly befit a follower of Ahlul-Bayt AS and is suitable only the people of opinion who reject Quran and Hadith.

There is no inconsistency between your mentioned clip and the traditions on her Kufr and her being under the curse of Allah. Even if we suppose that there exists such a conflict, our Imams AS have provided criteria to choose one over another in the traditions that are accepted and acted upon by our scholars (known as the traditions of treatment-- al-'Ilaajiyya). One of the mentioned criteria is the number of similar narrations, and another one is the level of inconsistency with the Sunni views. The Imams AS said that, of the two conflicting Hadiths, we should take that which is more inconsistent with the Sunni accepted view. This is due to the fact that version that is in line with the Sunnis, either is fabricated by them or is uttered in the situation of Taqiyya. If the clip you are referring to is ever in conflict with numerous reports on the other side, it would be certainly the case of Taqiyya and should be left out.

There is a difference between Nahjul Balagha and our other Hadith books. Nahjul Balagha includes official letters and sermons of Imam Ali AS. This is actually why it is generally accepted by the Sunnis too. Most audience of Imam Ali AS were not even Shia, and the Imam AS had some reservations when speaking officially, and had to adapt his sayings based on the audience, and that is why you do not find explicit cursing of the early Khulafaa in it. It is interesting to note that according to a research done by one of the scholars in Tehran who is very well-versed in the field of History, out of tens of thousands of soldiers of Imam Ali AS in the battle of Siffin, only 50 people believed in his Imamat!! The rest were considering him the fourth Khalifa!!!

Look at another example in the battle of Camel where he AS said:

"The truth and falsehood cannot be identified by the rank of (fallible) people. Know the truth so as to know the people of it." (Nahjul Balagha).

The Imam AS said this to his soldiers who were not even able to distinguish between him AS and Aisha (L), and they were considering him just a fourth Khalifa appointed by people. Therefore, the Imam AS was talking on their ground, not on the ground of people who believed him as a divinely-appointed and infallible Imam with all due virtues. Because for the believers, Imam Ali AS is the truth as the Prophet (pbuh&HF) said: "Ali is with the truth and the truth is with Ali and (the truth) turns with him wherever he turns."

In the first glance, we may think there is a conflict between what Imam Ali AS said and what the Prophet pbuh&HF said above. One suggests that the truth is not identified by the virtue of people and the other one states that it does for a specific person! However, by looking at the audience of Imam Ali AS, we understand that he was observing Taqiyya on his own virtues in this and many other cases. If the audience were accepting him as an infallible Imam assigned by Allah, they would never get confused between him AS and Aisha (L). On the other hand, if they were not accepting him as infallible, then saying "the truth turns with me" would not have been beneficial to them as an answer.

Thus, to me, taking a clip out of context from an official sermon in Nahjul Balagha and rejecting all traditions against Aisha just doesn't add up!

Other than the evidence that I have already quoted, let me provide more. About verse 16:92 of Quran, it is narrated:

Imam Sadiq AS said: "'And do not be like the lady who unravels her weaving after she had woven it strongly, to thin filaments (16:92)' means Aisha who disengaged her faith."

- Tafsir al-Ayyashi, v2, p269, Hadith #65

- Bihar al-Anwar, v32, p286, Hadith #238

It is also narrated:

About the verse: "The parable of those who take protectors other than Allah is that of the Spider who builds (to itself) a house (29:41)" Imam Muhammad Baqir AS said: "She is Humaira (i.e., Aisha)."

- Ta'wil al-Ayat al-Dhahira, p421, Hadith #7

- Bihar al-Anwar, v32, p286, Hadith #239

- Tafsir al-Burhan, v3, p252, Hadith #1

The author of the above Tafsir book (first reference) further explains that like the spider, which is a weak animal and builds a very weak and shaky house, Aisha with its weak Aql and weak religion took her own weak opinion as a house to oppose her master.

In another tradition from the Messenger of Allah pbuh&HF spider is mentioned as "a woman who is disloyal to her husband." (See for instance al-Khisal, Shaikh Saduq, v2, p494, Hadith #2)

Furthermore, recalling the verse:

"O' Consorts of the Prophet! If any of you were guilty of evident misconduct the Punishment would be doubled to her and that is easy for Allah." (33:30)

It is narrated that:

Imam al-Sadiq AS asked Muhammad Ibn Muslim: "Do you know what was evident misconduct (Fahisha al-Mubayyana)?" He replied: "No." The Imam AS said: "It was the fight against the Commander of Believers, i.e. the People of the Camel."

- Ta'wil al-Ayat al-Dhahira, p466, Hadith #13

- Bihar al-Anwar, v32, p286, Hadith #240

- Tafsir al-Burhan, v3, p308, Hadith #3

Also supporting the idea of Raj'at, it is reported by Abdurrahim al-Qasir:

Abu Ja'far AS said to me: "When our Qa'im AS rises, al-Humaira shall be brought to him till she shall receive her Hadd (punishment) and till he will take the revenge of the daughter of Muhammad, Fatima AS." I asked: "May I be sacrificed for you! Why should she receive Hadd?" He AS said: "Because of her false accusation against Umm Ibrahim (i.e., Mariya)." I asked: "Why did Allah delay (her punishment) till the time of al-Qa'im AS?" He AS replied: "Because Allah, the Most High, sent Muhammad (pbuh&HF) as Mercy (to mankind) and (will) send al-Qa'im AS as Revenger."

- Ilal al-Sharaye', part 2, p579, Hadith #10

- al-Mahasin, v2, p339, Hadith #126

- Dala'il al-Imama, p260

- Bihar al-Anwar, v22, p242, Hadith #8

See also the Shia Encyclopedia at the end part IV of "Who Are Ahl al Bayt?" in section "Quran admonishes the wives" where the al-Bukhari's traditions related to verses 66:3-5 were provided in which Hafsa vouches by Allah that she argues with the Prophet and keeps him angry for the whole day. In this connection, it would be wonderful to quote the following interesting verses of Quran:

Those who annoy Allah and his Apostle, Allah has cursed them in this world and in the Hereafter and has prepared for them a humiliating Punishment. (33:57)

And those who annoy the Messenger of Allah, for them is a painful punishment. (9:61)

Furthermore, there exist quite strong proofs in both Shia and Sunni that the Prophet (pbuh&HF) was also martyred by poison. The Shi'i reports state that he (pbuh&HF) was poisoned by Aisha (L) and Hafsa (L). The Sunni reports, on the other hand, attribute the crime to a Jew who poisoned him in the battle of Khaibar. Here I provide some of the Shia and Sunni Hadiths in this regard. It is narrated from Abd al-Samad Ibn Bashir:

Imam al-Sadiq AS said: "Allah stated: 'If he died or was killed, will you then turn back on your heels? (3:144)' He (i.e., the Prophet) was poisoned before death. Indeed, those two (women) poisoned him." And we said: those two (women) and their fathers are the worst of Allah's creation.

- Tafsir al-Ayyashi, v1, p200, Hadith #152 (under verse 3:144)

- Tafsir al-Burhan, under verse 3:144

- Tafsir al-Safi, under verse 3:144

- Tafsir Nur al-Thaqalain, under verse 3:144

- Bihar al-Anwar, v28, p20, Hadith #28; v31, p641, Hadith #158

Just as Imam Hasan AS was posioned by his wife, the Prophet pbuh&HF was poisoned by his wife. Imam al-Sadiq AS narrated from his fathers, peace be upon them, that:

Al-Hasan AS said to his family: "I shall die by poison in the same way the Messenger of Allah died." They asked: "Who shall do this?" He AS replied, "My wife Ju'da, the daughter of Ash'ath Ibn Qays. Surely Mu'awiya has tempted her and ordered her to do that." They said: "Expel her from your house and make her away from yourself." He AS replied: "Never do I dismiss her, for if I do that no one beside her would ever kill me! This is my destiny foreordained by Allah."

- al-Manaqib by Ibn Shahr Ashub, v4, p8

- al-Khara'ij, v1, p241

- Bihar al-Anwar, v44, p153, Hadith #23; v43, p328, Hadith #6

Also on the verse:

"When the Prophet disclosed a matter in confidence to one of his wives (i.e., Hafsa) and she then divulged it (to Aisha) and Allah made it known to him, he made known (to her) part thereof and passed over part. Then when he (i.e., the Prophet) told her thereof, she said: "Who told you this?" He said, "He who knows and is well-aware (of all things) told me. (66:3)"

The following Hadiths are narrated:

On the verse "When the Prophet disclosed a matter in confidence to one of his wives (66:3)" Abu Ja'far AS said: "He disclosed the matter of al-Qibtiyya (i.e., Mariya), and disclosed that Abu Bakr and Umar shall take over the rule of community after him unjustly, wickedly, and deceitfully."

- Bihar al-Anwar, v22, p246, Hadith #16 (quoted from Taqrib al-Ma'arif); v30, p383

More to that, Husain Ibn Ilwan and al-Dailami narrated that:

Imam al-Sadiq AS said: "She (i.e., Hafsa) became disbeliever by saying 'who told you this?' and by Allah this (verse) is related to her and her sister: 'If you two turn unto Allah repentant, (you have cause to do so) for your hearts indeed desired/inclined (evil) (66:4).' (The inclined heart) means perversity (of heart) that is disbelief."

- al-Sirat al-Mustaqim, v3, p168

- Bihar al-Anwar, v22, p246, Hadith #17

And in another narration:

"Surely Hafsa knew (the news) that her father and Abu Bakr will get the rule (after the Prophet), thus she divulged it to Aisha who then divulged it to her father (Abu Bakr) who divulged it to his associate (Umar). Thus they came together to expedite that by poisoning him..."

- Bihar al-Anwar, v31, p640, #157

- A similar report is given in Tafsir Ali Ibn Ibrahim al-Qummi, v2, p376 and in Bihar al-Anwar, v22, p239, Hadith #4

The traditions also show that those two and their daughters had more than one attempts of poisoning the Prophet (pbuh&HF) and that they failed in their early attempts by the will of Allah, and were caught by the Messenger of Allah and Imam Ali AS. However, they eventually committed the crime that they were longing for.

The Sunnis narrated what the killers had to say to cover up for their own crime. In the following Hadith from Sahih al-Bukhari, Aisha is confessing that the Prophet (pbuh&HF) was poisoned; yet she claims that the Jews in the battle of Khaibar poisoned him. This is while the battle of Khaibar took place two or three years before his demise!

Sahih Bukhari Hadith: 5.713

... Narrated 'Aisha: The Prophet in his ailment in which he died, used to say, "O 'Aisha! I still feel the pain caused by the food I ate at Khaibar, and at this time, I feel as if my aorta is being cut from that poison."

Given that the Prophet (pbuh&HF) was poisoned in the battle of Khaibar, he (pbuh&HF), nonetheless, survived. Thus, this cannot be the cause of his death after passing three years from the incident. Here, at least, Aisha is confessing that the Prophet (pbuh&HF) was severely suffering in his last days because of poison. This is a good clue towards disclosing the fact, especially when putting it beside the traditions of Ahlul-Bayt AS in this regard.

On the poisoning of the Prophet (pbuh&HF) by Aisha (L), the following traditions from Sahih al-Bukhari are also interesting. It appears she tried to cover up the poisoning by claiming it was medicine:

http://www.usc.edu/dept/MSA/fundamentals/h...tml#005.059.735

http://www.usc.edu/dept/MSA/fundamentals/h...tml#007.071.610

http://www.usc.edu/dept/MSA/fundamentals/h...tml#009.083.025

http://www.usc.edu/dept/MSA/fundamentals/h...tml#009.083.035

• Advanced Member

IN THE NAME OF Allah

SOME SUPPLICATIONS ON CURSING THE ENEMIES OF AHLUL-BAYT (as)

In this article, I have extracted a number of supplications mentioned in some of our famous Books on Du'aa such as al-Misbah, Muhaj al-Da'awat, etc. I do not quote the curses that are mentioned in Mafatih as you all know about them and have access to them.

One of the famous Du'aa on cursing is known as Du'aa Sanamay Quraish. Ibn Abbas narrated:

Ali (as) used to recite the Du'aa of Sanamay Quraish in the Qunut of his prayers and said: "He who recites this Du'aa is (in terms of reward) like a marksman who have shot 1000 arrows in the battle of Badr and Uhud beside the Prophet (pbuh&HF)."

- Mustadrak al-Wasa'il, v4, p405, Hadith #5021

- Bihar al-Anwar, v82/85, p260, Hadith #5

What follows is the full text of the Du'aa of Sanamay Quraish narrated by Ibn Abbas. He said Imam Ali (as) used to recite the following words in the Qunut of his prayers:

"O Allah! Send blessings to Muhammad and the family of Muhammad and curse the two idols of Quraish who are their two Jibts, their two transgressors (Taghut), and their two liars, and also (curse) their two daughters. Indeed, those two disobeyed Your command, denied Your revelation, were ungrateful to Your bounty, opposed Your Apostle (pbuh&HF), overturned Your religion, altered the meaning of Quran, loved Your enemies, rejected Your blessings, banned Your regulations, canceled Your commandments, disbelieved in Your signs, were hostile to Your friends, were friendly to Your enemies, destroyed Your lands, and corrupted Your servants.

O Allah! Curse those two, their followers, the believers in their authority, their friends, and their lovers. Indeed, those two destroyed the house of the Prophet (pbuh&HF), broke its door, violated its roof, devastated what was in it, eradicated its people, removed its helpers, killed its babies, evacuated the Prophet's pulpit from his executor and the inheritor of his knowledge, rejected his leadership, and became polytheists to their Lord. Thus so great are their sins. (O Allah!) Place them forever in the Hell (about which You said:) 'And what will explain to thee what Hell-Fire is? Naught doth it permit to endure, and naught doth it leave alone! (74:27-28)'

O Allah! Curse them to the number of: every evil deed that they brought about, every truth that they hid, every ascent that they did on the pulpit, every believer that they put to jail, every hypocrite that they backed up, every patron that harassed, every outcast one that they sheltered, every truthful one that they exiled, every disbeliever that they helped, every leader that they overpowered, every obligatory act that they changed, every clue that they denied, every evil that they left behind, every blood that they shed, every goodness that they replaced (with an alternative), every disbelief that they erected, every inheritance that they denied, every Fa'i (spoils without war) that they cut, every illegitimate money that they consumed, every Khums that they made permissible (to consume), every falsehood that they founded, and the oppression that they spread, every hypocrisy that they hid, every fraud that they concealed, every darkness that they stretched, every promise that they did not keep, every treason that they committed on the trusts, every covenant that they broke, every Halaal that they forbade, every Haraam that made lawful, every stomach that they ruptured, every fetus that they caused to be miscarried, every rib that they crushed, every transfer document that they tore apart, every gathering that they dispersed, every honorable one that they disgraced, every low one that they strengthened, every right that they deprived, every lie that they spread, and every command that they reversed.

O Allah! Curse them for any sign that they altered, for any obligation that they abandoned, for any Sunna that they changed, for any custom that they prevented, for any commandment that they suspended, for any pledge that they broke, for any legal argument/action that they dismissed, for any evidence that they denied, for any trick that they produced, for any betrayal that they brought forth, for any barrier that they raised, for any movement that they urged, for any fallacy that they imposed, for any testimony that they withheld, and for any will that they threw away.

O Allah! Curse those two in the most concealed secret and in the most manifest openness, the curse that is abundant, everlasting, persistent, uninterrupted, and inexhaustible in number, and (also) curse their supporters, their helpers, their lovers, and those who believe in their authority and submit to them, and those who incline towards them, those who promote/raise their claims, those who imitate their sayings, and those who acknowledge their leadership. (Then say four times:) O Allah! Punish them with the punishment that the People of Fire seek refuge from it. Amen O the Lord of the worlds.

- al-Misbah, Ibrahim al-kaf'ami, p552

- Balad al-Amin Wa Jannat al-Aman

- Ihqaq al-Haqq, Nurullah al-Tustari, v1, p338

- Bihar al-Anwar, v82/85, p260, Hadith #5

Furthermore, Abi Yahya al-Madani narrated that Imam al-Sadiq (as) taught the following Du'aa to be recited by the Shia after each prayer:

"O Allah! I ask You by Your great Right/due to send blessings to Muhammad and his family, a thorough and everlasting blessing, and enter their lovers and the believers in their Wilaya --whether they are on the land, on the mountain, or on the sea-- to the blessing of this Du'aa so that it lights up their eyes. O Allah protect those of them who are away and return them safely to their families, relieve their distressed ones, cover the unclothed, fill their huger and their thirst, fulfill the debt of the losers, facilitate the marriage the unmarried ones, heal their patients, brighten up their deceased, help the oppressed ones amongst the lovers of the family of Muhammad (pbuh&HF) and put out the fire of the enemies.

O Allah! Increase in multiple Your curse, torment, and punishment on those two who were disgraceful to Your blessing, weakened Your Apostle, accused Your Prophet and opposed him, broke his covenant on his executor and claimed the position of him, changed his commandments, transformed his Sunna, overturned his religion, belittled the value of Your Proofs, initiated the trend of oppressing them, were pioneers of disloyalty and disobedience to them, paved the way for slaying, revolting and waging war against them, prevented Your Khalifa from filling the holes/cracks and from setting right the crooked and from implementing the commandments and from manifesting the truth of the religion of Islam and from establishing the limits of Quran.

O Allah! Curse those two and their two daughters and all those who inclined to what they inclined and those who follow their footsteps and pursued their way and those who advance their innovations --the curse that could never come to anyone's mind and the People of Fire seek refuge from it. O Allah curse anyone who yields to their saying and follows their commands and calls people to them, and those who doubt in their Kufr from the first to the last generations."

- Mustadrak al-Wasa'il, v5, p60, Hadith #5366

- Muhaj al-Da'awat, Sayyid Ibn Tawus, p333

- Bihar al-Anwar, v83/86, p59, Hadith #67

The following is a very well documented and an authentic Du'aa taught by Imam al-Ridha to be recited in the Sajda al-Shukr (thanksgiving prostration). Sulaiman Ibn Ja’far narrated:

We came to Imam al-Ridha (as) while he was prostrating and performing a lengthy Sajda of al-Shukr. Once he (as) raised his head, we said to him: “You prolonged your Sajda.” He (as) replied: “Whoever calls (Allah) with this Du’aa in Sajda al-Shukr is like a marksman in the battle of Badr beside the Apostle of Allah (pbuh&HF).” We said: “Can we write this down?” He (as): “Write down that when you are performing Sajda al-Shukr, recite:

O Allah! Curse those two who changed Your religion, turned Your blessing, accused Your Apostle (pbuh&HF), opposed Your principle, prevented Your path, obscured Your favors, rejected Your sayings, mocked Your Apostle (pbuh&HF), killed the son of Your Prophet (pbuh&HF), altered the meaning of Quran, denied and ridiculed Your signs, disdained to worship You, killed Your friends, sat in a position that was not lawfully theirs, and imposed people over the family of Muhammad (pbuh&HF).

O Allah! Curse them the curse that is consecutive, and gather them and their followers in the Hell blear-eyed (referring to 20:102). O Allah! We seek nearness to You by cursing those two and disassociating (ourselves) from them in this world and in the Hereafter... O Allah! Curse those two the curse that is performed by every close Angel, every sent Prophet, and every faithful whose heart You have tested for the faith. O Allah! Curse those two with the curse that the People of Fire seek refuge from it and from their punishment. O Allah! Curse those two the curse that could never come to anyone's imagination.

O Allah! Curse those two in Your most concealed secret and in Your most manifest openness, and punish them to the extent of punishment that is measured and above that is measured, and join them their two daughters, their supporters, their lovers, and whoever has followed those two. 'Surely You hear the prayer (3:38).'"

- Mustadrak al-Wasa'il, v5, p139, Hadith #5516

- Muhaj al-Da'awat, Sayyid Ibn Tawus, pp 257-258

- al-Misbah, al-Kaf'ami, pp 553-554

- Bihar al-Anwar, v83/86, p223, Hadith #44

As for Ta'qibat (Du'aa after obligatory prayers) Abi Salama al-Siraj and Husain Ibn Thuwair both narrated:

"After each Wajib prayers Imam al-Sadiq (as) used to curse four men and four women: Fulan, Fulan, Fulan, and Mu'awiya, and Fulana, Fulana, Hind, and Umm al-Hakam (the daughter of Mu'awiya)."

- al-Kafi, v3, p342, Hadith #10

- Wasa'il al-Shia, v6, p462, Hadith #8449

- al-Tahdhib, v2, p321 (a very close narration in which instead of "Fulan", the Imam (as) mentioned their titles corresponding to their tribes).

- Bihar al-Anwar, v22, p128, Hadith #170; v83/86, p58, Hadith #63

Moreover, Abdullah Ibn Ma'qil narrated:

"During the Qunut of his Fajr prayer, Ali (as) cursed Mu'awiya, Amro Ibn al-'Aas, Abu Musa al-Ash'ari, and Abu al-A'war."

- al-Amali, al-Tusi, p725, Hadith #1525

- Mustadrak al-Wasa'il, v4, p410, Hadith #5036

- Bihar al-Anwar, v33, p185, Hadith #457

Even the Sunnis narrated the same thing. It is reported in the History of al-Tabari that Imam Ali (as) cursed in the Qunoot of his Fajr prayer Mu'awiya, Amro Ibn al-'Aas, Abu al-A'war al-Salmi, and al-Walid. (See History of al-Tabari, Arabic Eddition, v4, p52)

Similarly, al-Harith al-Nasri narrated:

I said to Imam al-Sadiq (as): "It is narrated to us that the Commander of the Believers (as) led people in the sunset prayer and in the Qunut of the second Rak'a he cursed Mu'awiya, Amro Ibn al-'Aas, Abu Musa al-Ash'ari, and Abu al-A'war." He (as) said: "This is the truth. Thus, curse them (too)."

- Mustadrak al-Wasa'il, v4, p410, Hadith #5035

- Bihar al-Anwar, v33, p196, Hadith #482

Those who deny/disbelieve, and die while disbelieving, on them is the curse of Allah, the angels, and mankind all. (Quran 2:161)

In His Name, the Most High, Lord of the Martyrs and the Truthful

Salaams to the believers;

Listen Lady - UmmAyoub - what part of:

My sentiments on certain people is in sync with the sentiments of Imam Ali(A). I refuse to slander indiscrimately, and I will not get dragged into a "Sunni-Shia" argument just because that is about all the "Islam" some of you have.

didn't you understand?

You wanna curse, go for it, knock yourself out - whopeee!

Just don't force your cursing on me. I stick to the guidelines of the Aimmah(A), going no further than Ziyarat Ashura and such things given to the believers by the Imams(A) - you wanna go further and curse - enjoy.

Just don't force it down my or anyone elses throat - there are more important things than perpetually facinations with cursing - so back off!

With Salaams and Dua's to the believers;

MSHNAK

• Advanced Member

(bismillah)

(salam)

well seeing as you're a sheikh people believe u're words are conveying the actions and beliefs of the ahlulbayt (as) when in reality your apparent belief that cursing was not the actions of the imams (as) is incorrect. They themselves used to curse and recommended it to us to curse their enemies. The one who does so gains rewards and in fact the du'a that has cursing of the enemies of the imams (as) and therefore of Allah are the strongest, that if a worshipper were to ask something with it their du'a would be speedily answered inshallah.

Anyway my belief was that you were perhaps un aware of the many hadiths and du'as we have that curse the enemies in it. Therefore my intention was nothing more than to bring them to your attention.

Our aim is perfection inshallah and the ahlulbayt (as) were perfect. Therefore they are our guides (along with the qur'an) to perfection. When they recommend cursing their enemies i take that as another way in which to perfect myself and not something to shy away from as there is nothing wrong in it. God forbid I should think myself to know better than they do and find cursing as something embarrassing or wrong.

On a final note I'm not trying to force anything on you bro as u well know there is no compulsion in religion. As i stated above I just wished to bring yours and others attention to the hadiths regarding cursing in case people took wat you said the wrong way and believed it to be something bad; and incase you yourself were un aware.

Fe aman Allah

• Advanced Member

(bismillah)

also bro you said this:

I refuse to curse them, however, I do feel that they made mistakes, but then again they were not infallible

What exactly did u mean here? They made mistakes but that's to be expected because they arent infallible?

This gives the impression that they didnt do what they did intentionally and from the statement u made.. this is reffering to the khulafa.

Now I cannot believe first that the imams (as) would curse someone if what they did was jus a mistake; secondly that it was just a mistake because we know from the event of ghadeer that they did pledge alleigance to Imam ali (as) and that they heard the word of the prophet (saw) which is ofcourse the word of God and yet still took the khilafah from ameer ul mo'mineen (as); and that was only one of their acts of disobedience to the prophet (SAW).

Fe aman Allah

Edited by Um Ayyub
  • Advanced Member
Just don't force it down my or anyone elses throat - there are more important things than perpetually facinations with cursing - so back off!

<_< forcing things down peoples throats, isnt that something you always do ??

ranting[1].gif : Follow the leader of the Islamic ummah or else you will be a cursed counter revolutionary shia.

Please practice what you preach, if you honestly want people to listen to what you have to say.

• Advanced Member

Abdulhujjah it seems like instead of prooving the reveloutionaries wrong your only good at closing their threads. You should remove the pic of Shaheed Ayyatullah baqir al sadr(RA) and ayyatullah Baqir al hakeem(RA)from your signature, They too were active reveloutionaries You would be better off with the pic of majeed khoi.

• Advanced Member

(bismillah)

(salam)

Thanks for the du'as bro baatil may Allah reward you with the same and more inshallah; and thank you bro seeker.

tawalla and tabarrah go hand in hand.

ziarat e jamea - kabirah is shahid to this that and wrongdoing against ahlebait is directly a wrongdoing against Allah.

Exactly bro. I jus wanted to clear this up with everyone. Inshallah people will see it's importance.

Fe aman Allah

• Advanced Member

salam aleikum

let's assume we have the right to curse them, and let's even assume that it would be good to do so, and we would be rewarded for it.

Wouldn't the dammage we inflict on the Muslim Unity outweigh enourmeously all the advantages of the cursing???

it's just a question.

I think it's obvious that the cursing gives an image of shia'ism that would discourage lots of people to get a closer look to shiaism, even if they would agree with a lot of our important points.

Should'nt we better focus on speaking well about the prophete(saws) and his family(as) in stead of speaking bad about their ennemies?

what do you think of it?

salam aleikum

• Advanced Member

(bismillah)

(salam)

1. Islamic Unity is not unity with Sunnis rather it is Unity by holding tight to Quran & AhlulBayt

2. AhlulBayt (as) are well aware that their statements will be heard and read by Sunnis and they said it.

I jus want to say we either believe in our religion as taught to us by ahlulbayt (as) and the qur'an or we dont. I've come across people who say believing in Imamate isnt important to be muslim :blink: and why else do they say such a thing except for "unity".

We need to stick firmly to the right path which was made clear to us by the ahlulbayt (as).

focus on speaking well about the prophete(saws) and his family(as) in stead of speaking bad about their ennemies?

ofcourse show to people the greatness of the ahlulbayt (as) as one of the imams (as) (sorry i dont have the hadith at hand n i dont remember which imam it was) said that we should tell the people the sayings of the ahlulbayt (as) because if they were to hear them they would surely follow the ahlulbayt (as). But we will eventually have to mention their enemies. I don't believe cursing them will cause them to turn away from the truth if they truly want to seek the truth.

I think it's obvious that the cursing gives an image of shia'ism that would discourage lots of people to get a closer look to shiaism, even if they would agree with a lot of our important points.

Bro i can't agree with this point at all. The westerners see the hijab as something evil and so it could be said it gives a bad image and discourage people from getting closer to islam. Does this mean we have to disregard our hijab for the sake of calling people to the truth? But those who truly want to seek the truth ask about the hijab and once they understand it's meaning they (if Allah wills them to) see the reality and turn to islam. As for those who don't turn to it; well that's their own problem Allah gave them the chance to be on the right path and they rejected it.

tawalla and tabarrah go hand in hand

(tawalla is to love the ahlulbayt and tabarra to disassociate from their enemies).

Fe aman Allah

• Advanced Member
Abdulhujjah it seems like instead of prooving the reveloutionaries wrong your only good at closing their threads. You should remove the pic of Shaheed Ayyatullah baqir al sadr(RA) and ayyatullah Baqir al hakeem(RA)from your signature, They too were active reveloutionaries You would be better off with the pic of majeed khoi.

Ill do that when you remove Khamanaei from your avatar and signature, and replace it with someone more knowledgeable.