Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله
Sign in to follow this  
krazykaffir

Hijab in Western Countries is self defeating.

Rate this topic

A woman with a hijab in a western country draws attention to herself.

She stands out like a sore thumb.

When someone sees a woman with a hijab, they immediality look at her face, and then judge her from what little they see.

Many people are intrigued by the mystery of the Hijabi and this leads to more attention drawn to them.

Therefore, the Hijab really isnt that modest. If anything, it draws more unwanted attention than it prevents.

Sigh. Not this again.

Yes, hijab draws attention. However, it does not draw that kind of attention. When a male looks at her, there is nothing to see. She is not seductive or enticing.

Let's think logically here. Picture the difference in attention between a woman half naked and one in hijab. Maybe hijab is "mysterious," but it gets the job done.

Sigh.  Not this again.

Yes, hijab draws attention.  However, it does not draw that kind of attention.  When a male looks at her, there is nothing to see.  She is not seductive or enticing. 

Let's think logically here.  Picture the difference in attention between a woman half naked and one in hijab.  Maybe hijab is "mysterious," but it gets the job done.

actually the hijab can have a seductive and enticing element, especially if she has a pretty face.

Edited by krazykaffir

If that's the case, according to most maraji', she is required to cover her face as well.

u know as well as I do the majority of Hijabis in western countries only cover their hair.

Secondly, it doesnt matter what kind of attention she draws to herself, as one form of attention can lead to another.

Edited by krazykaffir

(salam)

u know as well as I do the majority of Hijabis in western countries only cover their hair.

What do you mean by this krazykaffir ??

Secondly, it doesnt matter what kind of attention she draws to herself, as one form of attention can lead to another.

Dude, it's usually just racist remarks the Hijab draws so what's your problem? You don't have to deal with the discrimination Hijabi's get.

actually the hijab can have a seductive and enticing element, especially if she has a pretty face.

I find that rather interesting that you say that. What about the Muslim women who cover everything and leave their eyes showing like this ---> :Hijabi: How do you view them? Some of them have beautiful eyes, especially if they got blue or green eyes they just stand out because their wearing all black.

Speedos and tank tops don't belong in Saudi Arabia.

Hijab doesn't belong in the West.

Seems to me like you got a problem against Muslim women wearing Hijab in the west.

Anyways Peace :Hijabi:

It used to be the same with nuns - before they abandoned the traditional habit and took up modern dress. Only a few orders still wear the long habit, wimple and veil.

But when nuns did wear them, they were often rather more conspicious, and appeared to have a certain glamour. The veil made ordinary women look graceful and distinguished.

So if a Western woman wanted to dress loosely in Saudi Arabia, she should have that right?

Speedos and tank tops can be worn, under hijab :)

Tell it to France and Denmark 

True, but that's like, less than 5% of the Western world. So far, excluding the above countries, it's not that big an issue.

If a woman is practicing the true form of hijaab and is still looked at inappropriately their is no blame on her part as she has done her duty, her fair share.

And although there may be some instances where that may occur it's very rare. On a personal note, I've noticed that a guy either looks at me with innocent curiosity or lowers his gaze (I'm talking about non-muslim men) and its usually him lowering his eyes.

It's amazing the amount of respect hijaab can bring upon a woman. If only non-muslims (especially women) could understand that. Oh well, cant blame them much, they've only been going thru their "Women's Rights" for a few days (compared to the women's rights started by islam) ^_^

And yea, why are you so against it??

Asalaamu Aalaikom

Hijjab belongs in the east and west because Allah's land is everywhere. Even where you live. Also I would like u to define western. If your talking about America then I could also say that some Native American tribes did not even wear clothes but does it make it wrong that the settlers came to this land and decided to wear clothes?

Diversity is so hard for ignorant minds to concieve of because they fear those who are different. While your ignorance is tolerable it is uncalled for and I WILL NOT suffer from your ignorance it is you that has to lay your head down at night and recall your day and what you have done that has actually improves your life. Heck you never know maybe one day it will be a woman in hijjab to save your life.

BY THE WAY: I give blood :) Perhaps if you were ever in a horrible accident (God Forbid) You would get a hijjabi's blood.

May Allah guide you to his path

Oh and another note: Our Hijjab is not pointless because our Hijjab is not for man yet it is for the pleasure of Allah so if a man stares and desires than he has to deal with Allah we will be rewarded regardless..

Or would you like to take those rewards from us?

Edited by Striving 4 Purity

Salamz !

Though it was tough for me, but i shall ve` to agree with krazykaafir that a woman in hijab draws more attention than a hijabless women in the west.the matter gets mysterious some how. :D

But nobody should dare get the impression that i am against hijab-wearing.

Now why re` non-muslims afraid of muslim women`s hijab ??

Firstly because they re` afraid of muslim`s rigidity towards islamic traditions & secondly because there is a media wave by the 'west' showing the fundamentalisc approach of islam.its more like a non-elastic one for the west.

So non-muslims re` seeing this hijab as a first step towards a thread of islamic activities in the west.

They re` not that wrong in their fears too. :D

islam is already spreading at a great speed in the west.

wassalam.

Edited by asifnaqvi

(bismillah)

Assalam alaykum,

A woman with a hijab in a western country draws attention to herself.

LOLLL... I do not wear Hijab to "not draw attention to myself". It has so many benefits. One of the amazing things about Hijab is its capacity for da3wa. I have had people come up and ask me about Islam because of my Hijab.

She stands out like a sore thumb.

In some ways I know what you mean... but in other ways you're wrong. I feel so much more comfortable these days walking down the street. I am stared at less because I am covered. Guys will look at the woman who is "covered least" in their line of sight. Very degrading. They wanna 'take in' as much as they can. Do not deny it :)

When someone sees a woman with a hijab, they immediality look at her face, and then judge her from what little they see.

Hmmm... so you're point is... what?? The more she reveals the less she'll be judged? :lol: sheesh. Come on.. be honest, she will be objectified! You know what?... I think you are itching to put all women in the "objects" category.. You can't stand the fact that you cannot objectify a Muslim woman in true Hijab.

Many people are intrigued by the mystery of the Hijabi and this leads to more attention drawn to them.

If it is intrigue.. let it be intrigue. Maybe they will want to find out more about Islam. My cousin in-law.. she's a revert mashaAllah.. she used your word exactly. She said that she was always "intrigued by the ladies who wore Hijab"... She asked so many questions and alhamdullilah got her answers. SubhanAllah.

Therefore, the Hijab really isnt that modest.  If anything, it draws more unwanted attention than it prevents.

Well krazykaffir, if it is more of this "intrigue" that you speak about, bring it on ;)

wasalam

(bismillah)

Yesterday I had this same discussion with my soon-to-be (Inshallah) husband.

The reason for the discussion was becuase I have been feeling so sad lately...

I have been wearing hijab for two years now, and it has really changed my personality in ways I didn't know was possible.

Peoples attitude and behaviour towards me has changed completely.

I never used to be shy before. I am now.

I never used to have any difficulties talking to people. I do now.

I never used to have problems making new friends. I do now.

I never used to be ashamed of telling people were I'm from. I am now.

I never used to start crying for no reason. I do now.

When I decided to start wearing hijab, I was strong. Now, circumstances has started to get to me. I'm not as tough as I thought anymore.

It tares you appart to go to school everyday and no-one talks to you. They stare at you, but see right trough you at the same tame.

I'm invisible, at the same time as I am the only thing they see.

I'm beeing questioned constantly.

WHY on earth would a bright young girl choose to convert to ISLAM?! WHY would a girl, raised in a free country, CHOOSE to live under rules?!

WHY would a girl choose to wear HIJAB?!? Hijab here is seen as the ultimate symbol of opression. Wallah...

They never even give me chance, they take a glance at me and then they think they know ALL there is to know about me. And hey, MUSLIMS, we all know what they're like. No use socializing with them, ESPECIALLY not a fanatic convert, OH MY GOD. Of course she MUST be a fanatic, otherwise she would walk around looking like that.

My beloved has told me several times, as he's been whiping away my tears,

that I should stop wearing the hijab if I think that's gonna make things easier.

He would still feel the same for me, with or without the hijab.

And sure, it would change things.

Not wearing hijab would mean

Not beeing JUDGED that hard

Beeing able to go out with my family again (they refuse to be seen anywhere near me when I'm wearing hijab)

Not beeing judged this way, every single day, every minute of my time awake,

would probably give me back some of the bits of me that I have lost.

It would let me speak my mind more freely.

But the fact remains, nevermind the hard times, I love my hijab. It's a part of who I am. If people have a problem with who they THINK I am, FINE; it's their loss.

I don't need people like that in my life anyways.

I hate it that their attitude problems has an affect on me.

I want to wear hijab. So that's what I'll do. Sometimes the easy way isn't the best way.

A few points to note:

Firstly, yes hijab does attract undue attention, but its more the curiosity and ignorant type rather than any lewdness, and i dont see any problem with that.

secondly, when the ayah of hijab was revealed, it was after the Prophet pbuh wives complained about getting teased or harrassed by men when they out. When these men were confronted, they'd simply reply we didnt know they were muslim women in order to justify themselves, so the verse was revealed that the women should wear hijab, to stand out and to show they were muslims.

so its not only for modesty, its a symbolic message to the perverted.

(bismillah)

Assalam alaykum,

Sis khargoush.. there is no way I know exactly what it is that you are going through, but so much of what you have said I can totally relate to, so inshallah with this post I offer my support. I too recently wore Hijab (1 year 4mths and 22 days ago.. but who's counting :P) and the change and shock people went through in seeing me was amazing.

When I decided to start wearing hijab, I was strong. Now, circumstances has started to get to me. I'm not as tough as I thought anymore.

It tares you appart to go to school everyday and no-one talks to you. They stare at you, but see right trough you at the same tame.

I'm invisible, at the same time as I am the only thing they see.

SubhanAllah sis.. I read that and it reminds me of the difficulties I faced this time last year.. and in many ways I guess the prejudice is still there by a fair few people ... this time will inshaAllah pass and you will be soooo much stronger for it.

WHY on earth would a bright young girl choose to convert to ISLAM?! WHY would a girl, raised in a free country, CHOOSE to live under rules?!

They never even give me chance, they take a glance at me and then they think they know ALL there is to know about me. And hey, MUSLIMS, we all know what they're like. No use socializing with them, ESPECIALLY not a fanatic convert, OH MY GOD. Of course she MUST be a fanatic, otherwise she would walk around looking like that.

The reaction of some people will hurt you.. but that is because they are the ones who are most close to you and know what will "upset you". They therefore think that doing what they are doing will help you to "find your sense", lol & go back to the way you were previously. If it's other people who also upset you... sis don't worry about them. Good riddance!

Our iman (faith) goes up and down like a sine wave.. some days are better than others. InshaAllah to help combat this, I have tried to associate myself and mingle in circles of those who are "good"... if I don't have a chance to do that, I make sure I read about Islam. This has helped me through some of the most difficult times I have had to come across.

Some of things you have spoken about are the way you view yourself. You should not lose sight of the fact that you have such strength and such courage. Such conviction. Such faith. You sound pretty amazing. In a world where most people are lost, you have found the path you want to tread. May Allah (swt) keep you steadfast and guide you always to siraat al mustaqeem.

Chin up sis. Pm me if you need anything

wasalam

Speedos and tank tops can be worn, under hijab :)

Okay, I'll refrain my question - should western women have the right to dress loosely in Saudi Arabia?

True, but that's like, less than 5% of the Western world.  So far, excluding the above countries, it's not that big an issue.

So far, this is correct. But if Muslims grow in number and still refuse to assimilate, they will be viewed as a larger threat, and more hijab bans will be symptomatic.

I don't ever think hijab will be banned in the US, but I wouldn't be surprised if eventually Europe and Australia banned it.

Salamz !

Though it was tough for me, but i shall ve` to agree with krazykaafir that a woman in hijab draws more attention than a hijabless women in the west.the matter gets mysterious some how. :D

But nobody should dare get the impression that i am against hijab-wearing.

Now why re` non-muslims afraid of muslim women`s hijab ??

Firstly because they re` afraid of muslim`s rigidity towards islamic traditions & secondly because there is a media wave by the 'west' showing the fundamentalisc approach of islam.its more like a non-elastic one for the west.

So non-muslims re` seeing this hijab as a first step towards a thread of islamic activities in the west.

They re` not that wrong in their fears too. :D

islam is already spreading at a great speed in the west.

wassalam.

So you admit that Islam is taking over, and that hijab is the penultimate symbol of that takeover.

So put yourself in my shoes? Should I just stand idly by as my culture and way of life disappears?

So put yourself in my shoes? Should I just stand idly by as my culture and way of life disappears?

The way I see it you have two choices. You can either try to learn in a respectful way what the other people who make up the mosaic of humanity in this world think and believe, through doing this better yourself and those around you. Or...you can get a lynching party together and hang you some Moslems like a good American!

The way I see it, most of your posts point to the fact that you support the second choice.

Fight on in the name of freedom!

q

So you admit that Islam is taking over, and that hijab is the penultimate symbol of that takeover.

Yup ! Islam is spreading fast in the west & i tell u why.

Firstly its in human nature that opposition makes u more strong.muslims in the west re` a minority & facing intense behaviour from christians specially after 9/11.so average muslim in the west is performing above average just because they re` made enthusiestic by reacting christians.

Secondly the spread of islam in europe & america is subjected more to the lack of spirituality in the christian ranks.islam is certainly covering this spiritual space at great speed.u may call it a weakness on part of christanity.

Why should i put my self in ur shoes ??

It`s not possible to whatever extent i may try,because i am quite rigid as far as faith of a shia muslim is concerned.

Actually by opposing hijab in such an illogical manner ,west is loosing politically too,since apparently hijab is not an AK47 or a cruise missile wich is gonna hit US instantaneously. :P

IF the west wanna confront hijab problem, it should do it in some political way,use of force in this regard is just gonna add to muslim point of view.

salam,

Just wanted to put a thought of mine in words. We keep saying that Islam is spreading in the west at a termendous speed. I dont disagree that people are converting to Islam. They definitely are. But when we say that the number of western muslims are increasing a large part of the increase in the population of muslims is not due to the conversion factor but due to the fact that muslims from other countries have settled in the west. There families are the ones that compromise of the majority of muslims. I would say more than 70% are from other countries or their parents are from other east. Now mind you I am just making an estimate when i say 70%. I am not using any statistics at all. Just a guess.

I thought this point should be noted when we talk about spread of muslims in the west. Lot of statistics are a big misrepresentation of the actual stats.

Wasalam.

it is funny how a scarf scares you kuffar so much :!!!:

lets us know your dunya is not worth the paper its written on

ooooh those muzzies are gonna get us if we dont ban their scarf :!!!:

you kuffar as dumb as i thought

your culture and way of life aint worth anything if hijab threatens it........but we Muslims knew that already :P

the u.s media hyped islam up so much after 9/11 i made my shahada......so all that negative hype is just adding more Muslims to the rank

you tactics are backwards

and Allah swt will win........your stupid laws are not the end all to be all, cuz you will answer for them

Edited by AspiringUKHTI

salam,

Just wanted to put a thought of mine in words. We keep saying that Islam is spreading in the west at a termendous speed. I dont disagree that people are converting to Islam. They definitely are. But when we say that the number of western muslims are increasing a large part of the increase in the population of muslims is not due to the conversion factor but due to the fact that muslims from other countries have settled in the west. There families are the ones that compromise of the majority of muslims. I would say more than 70% are from other countries or their parents are from other east. Now mind you I am just making an estimate when i say 70%. I am not using any statistics at all. Just a guess.

I thought this point should be noted when we talk about spread of muslims in the west. Lot of statistics are a big misrepresentation of the actual stats.

Wasalam.

sorry i have to disagree

people are making shahada left and right here........and the fastest growing segement are african americans

i can name you 10 new shahadas that i personally know within the last 3 months

people are converting in large numbers, alhumduillah

Edited by AspiringUKHTI

Guest DjibrilCisse

Either youre dumb or your blind.

What I see is that most decent people act respectful and dont look at mujahibas in the face, but rather lower their gaze in respect. They dont act curious at all, but respectful.

On the other hand, if they see a semi nude lady theyre pretty interested and sometimes they attempt to to catch her attention.

So if a Western woman wanted to dress loosely in Saudi Arabia, she should have that right?

By covering up she isnt being forced to break a rule of her religion.

But when nuns did wear them, they were often rather more conspicious, and appeared to have a certain glamour. The veil made ordinary women look graceful and distinguished.

Also, nuns were respected in public.

Compare the number of raped nuns/mujahibas to the number of raped semi-nudes.

I never used to be shy before. I am now.

I never used to have any difficulties talking to people. I do now.

I never used to have problems making new friends. I do now.

I never used to be ashamed of telling people were I'm from. I am now.

I never used to start crying for no reason. I do now.

Its people like you who are used as examples when people critisize the hijab.

No, reconsider your culture and way of life and ask yourself why its disappearing. If you think its the best culture, then explain it to other people and if its as good as you think it is people will start adapting to your culture.

salam,

Wasalam.

sorry i have to disagree

people are making shahada left and right here........and the fastest growing segement are african americans

i can name you 10 new shahadas that i personally know within the last 3 months

people are converting in large numbers, alhumduillah

salam,

Can you provide any official statistics??

What you are taking about is in your area. I am talking in general. The whole of the united states.

let me give you an example:

Suppose ppl are converting left and right in newyork. Then New York doesnot represent the whole of United States. Yes it is a part of it but not everything. You need to know a bit about statistics in order to make a judgement on it.

In statistics what you are talking about is called a sampling error. If i remember correctly. :)

So i would still stick to my personal opinion. You will have to provide more information than what you have already provided. Doesnt make sense to me from a statistical point of view.

Wasalam.

there are also many people who convert out of Islam, or are non-practicing and just Muslim by name.

The "Islam is spreading very fast in the west" bit is overblown.

The way I see it you have two choices. You can either try to learn in a respectful way what the other people who make up the mosaic of humanity in this world think and believe, through doing this better yourself and those around you

yes but when Muslims come into power by the majority, they hardly follow any of that ^^^.