Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله
Sign in to follow this  
mshnak

Shia clerics deny opposing resistance

Rate this topic

Shia clerics deny opposing resistance

Saturday 28 August 2004 6:17 PM GMT

Top Shia leaders met at Grand Ayat Allah al-Sistani's house

Iraq's top Shia authority is denying media reports that it has opposed armed resistance against the US occupation of the country.

Speaking to Aljazeera, Hamid al-Khafaf, the spokesman for Grand Ayat Allah Ali al-Sistani, denied that the Shia authority  in a meeting on Saturday expressed opposition to armed resistance.

"I confirm that there was no agreement among the Shia religious leaders on not resisting the multinational forces and the news was groundless and false," al-Khafaf said.

Ali Bashir al-Najafi, spokesman for Grand Ayat Allah Bashir al-Najafi, also denied that "armed resistance against the occupation" was discussed in the meeting.

"The meeting was mainly intended to visit Ayat Allah al-Sistani to ask about his health, review what was achieved of his initiative to end the crisis in Najaf and express concern over the current situation in both Najaf and Kufa," he said.

The meeting of the group known as the Marjaiya came two days after al-Sistani persuaded Shia leader Muqtada al-Sadr to end a three-week battle against US and interim Iraqi government forces in Najaf.

Media reports

The denials came amid media reports that said the Shia authority in its meeting at the house of Ayat Allah al-Sistani in Najaf expressed its opposition to armed resistance.

Al-Najafi denied any fatwa being issued during the meeting. "The matter has nothing to do with fatwa and it was not a fatwa.

"A main concern of the Marjaiya since the beginning has been for the government and the police to take control of the city and establish the rule of law," al-Najafi told reporters.

Peace deal

Grand Ayat Allahs Muhammad Saad al-Hakim and Ishaq al-Fayad met al-Sistani at his Najaf home.

Al-Najafi, the fourth cleric in the Marjaiya quartet, arrived later for a separate audience with al-Sistani.

Late on Thursday, al-Sadr signed a five-point plan put forward by al-Sistani that insisted on the departure of all armed elements from Najaf and its twin city Kufa.

"The conditions imposed by the Marjaiya to solve this crisis were clear ... an end to the fighting, clearing the city of fighters, guaranteeing their safe exit from Najaf and the reconstruction of the city," said al-Najafi.

But he added: "It was the same under Saddam [Hussein] as under the occupation. Both regimes have left Iraq an open field, letting large amounts of weapons enter Iraq from abroad.

"The result of their [uS] intervention in Iraq is not a liberation but a new front for them to fight their enemies and attack Islam."

Aljazeera + Agencies

You can find this article at:

http://english.aljazeera.net/NR/exeres/11E...34BED736358.htm

I find it very interesting that Ayatullah Seestani(HA)'s office came out publically (for a change alhamdu lillah) and rejected any heresay that it was AGAINST the Islamic Resistance in Iraq. I find this very strange, since for a while now, many of us have been saying that Ayatullah Seestani(HA) HAS NOT SPOKEN AGAINST SAYYED MUQTADA(HA) AND THE JAYSH AL-MAHDI(AJ) (which is effectively the main thrust of the Islamic Resistance in Iraq), however, some people - have suggest otherwise.

It is also noteworthy, that while no-one has actually come and and said that Ayatullah Seestani(HA) is against the armed resistance in so many words - many have implied it - and also my respected Brother RevolutionaryGuard1979 has been asking a quesiton (please see his signature for details), and that question has been repeatedly remained unanswered.

The question, however, has alhamdu lillah been answered, here in this article - and it would be nice if someone from of the Office of Ayatullah Seestani(HA) can come and "verify" the statements by Brother Hamid al-Khafaf, as well as Brother Ali Najafi:

Iraq's top Shia authority is denying media reports that it has opposed armed resistance against the US occupation of the country.

Speaking to Aljazeera, Hamid al-Khafaf, the spokesman for Grand Ayat Allah Ali al-Sistani, denied that the Shia authority  in a meeting on Saturday expressed opposition to armed resistance.

"I confirm that there was no agreement among the Shia religious leaders on not resisting the multinational forces and the news was groundless and false," al-Khafaf said.

and also:

The denials came amid media reports that said the Shia authority in its meeting at the house of Ayat Allah al-Sistani in Najaf expressed its opposition to armed resistance.

Al-Najafi denied any fatwa being issued during the meeting. "The matter has nothing to do with fatwa and it was not a fatwa.

Amazing, truely Allah makes clear the truth to the masses, when the truth is being "covered" by some.

In Islam, we are taught to always say the truth, regardless of how bitter it may, we have a famous hadeeth on this subject:

abu hamza thomali, one of the famous and sincere followers of the prophet's ahl-ul-bait and a principal member of the righteous shi'ite movement quotes from his leader and teacher, imam mohammad al-baqer (a.s.), as saying: "when the last moments of his life arrived, my father ali ibn al-hussain (a.s.) held me close to his chest and said: my son i, recommend to you what my father (imam hussain) recommended to me at the last moments of his life. my son stand for truth even if it is bitter". (al-kafi vol.2 )

http://www.al-wilayah.net/internal.php?topic=601

and

"from fiqh al-redha (a.s.) we narrate of the wills of the prophets, peace be upon them. be patient for truth, even if it is bitter." (bihar al-anwar)

http://www.al-wilayah.net/internal.php?topic=601

and off course we have Quran, which tells us very clearly:

I swear by the time,

Most surely man is in loss,

Except those who believe and do good, and enjoin on each other truth, and enjoin on each other patience.

(Quran, Surah al-Asr, Verses 1-3)

The truth is something very important, and it should always be adhered to - if a mistake is made by someone - regardless of who - a Grand Ayatullah, or a small peasent, then the mistake is a mistake - regardless. To cover up the truth of the mistake and attempt to cloak it - to make statements such as "for the sake of unity", "it will damage the Ummah", "the people are not ready for it", as have been made in the past and continue to be made in regard to covering mistakes which have hence been exposed and on exposure have proceeded to destroy those who covered the truth.

In Islam, we know that to lie, to cover up the truth essentially when you are fully aware of it, is a very serious thing to do. It is completely against ANY Islamic Teachings. Even the concept of Taqiyyah - whereby you say or do something to protect your life - is an activity that is done for a finite time and even then it is done as a last resort when one's life is in jeopardy.

Lying is something which has been spoken extensively in Quran, and it is amongst the worst of the vices that a human can have - regardless of who that person maybe. The ProphetÚáíå ÇáÓáÇãs, the Prophet Muhammad(S), the Aimmah(A) have all enjoined us to TRUTH, and have always forbidden us from falsehood.

Imam Husayn(A)'s revolution had many slogans attached to it (narrated to us through ahadeeth), among such slogans was a statement from one of the many sermons of Imam Husayn(A) prior to the event of Ashura, where our beloved Aba Abdillah(A) said:

"When a man(/woman), sees a time, whereby the truth is made false and the false is rendered as true, then it is incumbant upon that person to rise and resist this corruption, even if the cost should be his life."

(I have paraphrased - but this statement is well known and I'm certain that references can be found easily)

In Quran, as I have quoted above, in Surah al-Asr, Allah says to us that he is swearing by the passage of time, by the movement of time, something which is for us, since Allah exists beyond the realms of time and space, he then says mankind is at a loss - i.e. it is darkness, and confusion. But his statement, subhan Allah, is conditional, he then makes a number of conditions for NOT being at a loss. I will now list and elaborate on these conditions a little:

1/ Except those who believe

This is the first condition. Those who believe in Allah and the Last Day, that is to say those who believe in Allah and the last day from ANY faith system - remember Allah is address humanity here - "mankind" - not the Muslims or the believers - this is a more general statement, it is addressing the entire Human Family.

He says clearly "Except those who believe" - that can be defined from other verses of Quran, but all add up to essentially the same thing, and since the phrase believer is not an exclusive term purely for Muslims - since it is known that as per Quran, there will be some believers from amongst the Christians, Jews and Sabians, etc.

Surely those who believe and those who are Jews and the Sabians and the Christians whoever believes in Allah and the last day and does good-- they shall have no fear nor shall they grieve.

(Quran, Surah al-Maidah, Verse 69)

It is important to realise that this gives us a baseline universal definition of the believer. In that it is someone who believes in Allah and the Last Day, and does good.

Therefore, where in Quran Allah states, "Except those who believe", he is talking about the generic definition of those who believe - those who believe in Allah (i.e. who believe in a God), and the Last Day - that is to say they believe in a diety, in God, in Allah, and who believe that there is a day of reckoning where humanity will be brought to account for each and every one of their actions.

This is enough for the first condition, the second condition:

2/ And who do good deeds

The definition of good and bad is universal, everyone knows - what good is and what is evil. To harm someone is bad, to conceal the truth is bad, to attribute false statements is bad, to kill someone is bad, etc. To be kind to people - in any way possible, even if it be it a smile - is good, to respect others and not to hurt people's feelings is good, to be strong in the face of an oppressor is good, to defend the rights of the oppressed is good, etc.

The definitions are all through Quran, and within each and every one of us, it is us who through blacking our heart confuse the good and bad, the truth and falsehood. In Quran, in Surah al-Dahr, Allah, the Mighty the Wise, tells us regarding humanity's knowledge of the truth:

There surely came over man a period of time when he was a thing not worth mentioning.

Surely We have created man from a small life-germ uniting (itself): We mean to try him, so We have made him hearing, seeing.

Surely We have shown him the way: he may be thankful or unthankful.

(Quran, Surah ad-Dahr (aka Surah al-Insaan), Verses 1 - 3)

Allah has said clearly that He has shown us the way, that is why we have common sayings, in all cultures that children - infants - always say things how they are - they are not "sophisticated enough to understand it exactly" - but the child - the infant sees things as they are - in their true form, it is through our evil actions (conscious or unconscious) that result in us not seeing as a child, but seeing a warped reality based on our own circumstances - something known as latent subjectivity)

Anyhow, I digress;

The third condition placed by Allah in this verse of Surah al-Asr is:

3/ And who enjoin each other to Truth

This is a very important condition, it is essentially saying that everyone is at a loss, i.e. humanity is at a loss, except those who posses the previous two conditions (belief in god and the last day, and do good deeds), and who enjoin each other to the truth - thereby defining the position of the truth within humanity - it is a key requirement for the protection of humanity from destruction.

There is a logic to this also, if someone is a liar, then they make one "white" lie - for example - they then have to generate multiple "not so white" lies to cover the original lie, thereby resulting in a snowball of lies and falsehoods.

After a period of constantly indulging in this activity the person who is constantly lying, develops an alternate reality - a reality of the lie, and the actual reality. The two of which may be completely disassociated from each other. This leads ultimately to a form of schizophrenia known as Pathalogical Lying, a multiple personality disorder with the various personalities being in conflict with each other, and the truth being suppressed.

That is on the individual level. On a social level, if a society habitually lies to cover it's percieved faults instead of actually dealing with the causes of the faults - the results are devestating. The society becomes suspcious of itself, the issue of trust goes flying out of the proverbial window, and the related vices become worse and worse. A stage develops where new entrants into that society - the children - can see the lies and falsehoods for what they are - they can see the cancer of corruption and deciet and begin to move themselves away from the society and go to other societies regarding which they have less information, and hence do not mistrust as much, or are able to trust - ultimately resulting in the disintigration of society.

Every once in a while to such a society a person has the strength of character to stand up and say enough of this deciet - let us be honest that we have a problem - this was the task performed by our beloved ProphetÚáíå ÇáÓáÇãs and WarnerÚáíå ÇáÓáÇãs and ImamÚáíå ÇáÓáÇãs - however, generally this causes the society to react negatively to that person - as was seen in the revolution of the Prophet(S), of Prophet Isa(A), of Prophet Musa(A), of the Aimmah(A) and the righteous Companions - such as Ammar ibn Yasir(A) or Abu Dhar al-Ghaffari(A).

Ultimately of all the social vices the worst is social kufr - yes kufr - since those of my brethren who know arabic the root verb of the word "kufr" is K-F-R - which means to cover up. Kufr is merely the adjective - the doing word - the action of covering up is kufr.

Now, Islamically, there are multiple layers of kufr, this is agreed as a matter of concensus between the many Ulema of the Sunnah and the Shia.

There is a possibility of being a kafir (a doer of kufr) in a single thing - such as one who covers up something they know as being true - for example a sales man who knows that fruit he's selling is rotten - but sells is as good to an innocent buyer - that is a form of kufr. There is the kufr of someone who knows that person X is doing something wrong, but chooses to instead not speak against that person and instead speaks in favour of that person. That is another form of kufr, there are many other levels or layers of kufr, which all if not dealt with quickly and allowed to ferment lead to the worst form of kufr, which is the complete denial of Truth and the triumph of falsehood.

The next and final condition for protection against being at a loss, as per Quran, is:

4/ and those who enjoin each other to patience

This is a very important condition, since it tells us - in advance - that following the three conditions above requires a large amount of patience and forebearance - patience itself is a very big subject - if anyone is interested, I had given a series of lectures some time ago at Hyderi Islamic Center on the subject - you can review them here:

http://www.islamicdigest.net/id5/modules.p...tre.london.2003

Suffice it to say that the ahadeeth metioned above are complementing the words of Allah in this Surah.

Comming back to the subject; which was the covering up of the truth, and disclosing a falsehood as the truth, for whatever reason.

The behaviour is simply not Islamic, and those who practice it cannot in all fairness call themselves Muslims, they have set foot into the dangerous terrain of kufr, as elaborated above.

Therefore, I would ask my brethren, sincerely and with humbleness, to be weary of making statements for which they have no concrete evidence. There are things in which one can make loose deductions, but said deductions should be given as that - they should come with a statement which clearly states that this is a deduction based on such and such evidence, but however, since I am not entirely sure, that is all it is.

We can see that many people have been proven as unwittingly falling prey to this latent deciet, in what they have said against Sayyed Muqtada as-Sadr(HA) and Jaysh al-Mahdi(AJ), on acccount of historical issues or personal issues, or whatever reason.

I wonder how many other concepts if released via al-Jazeera would be countered by the now seemingly vocal office of Ayatullah Seestani(HA) in Najaf al-Ashraf?

I feel that my brethren - and when I address the readers as my brethren I count myself within that group, I feel that my brethren should do some serious introspection, on both sides. There have been some who have unwittingly - i'm sure it was unwittingly if deliberate it indicates a far more rooted problem; may Allah protect us from such a disaster - spoken ill of Sayyed Muqtada(HA) and/or the Jaysh al-Mahdi(AJ) - while their experiences on the ground in Occupied Iraq, the company they keep, the people they associate with - they might see the situation in that way, but in order to be Just - an extremely important element of Truth - in order to be Just, one must be OBJECTIVE.

The moment someone becomes subjective, the truth is clouded by the subjectivity, and subjectivity gives you a bias - latent or obvious - on a given person, situation, concept or thing, etc - this then clouds your opinion on that subject, which then unwittingly puts you into the camp of those who do not enjoin to the truth and to patience. To be objective is to be someone who resists the subjectivity within themselves - to be strong againt that which will cloud one's judgement.

Anyways, I know that sometimes I write long essays for my brethren, sometimes, my posts can be long and I appreciate that not many of my brethren read and reflect on my words, but I beseech you in the name of the One who commanded Muhammad(S), his chosen messenger, to READ, i beseech you in the name of All that the One has power over, to please read and reflect on what I have said, for the sake of your own souls, and your own sanity.

If what I have said is mistaken, then you are duty bound to correct me, and put my thoughts right, as your brother, I love each and every one of you, and it is my right to advise my brethren when I feel the advise is warrented, therefore, I ask you sincerely with my heart and soul, to read what I have written, even though it may take you a few minutes. I try and keep my style of writing simple, so as to be easily understood, that way insha Allah, we can all attain a love for Allah, that engulfs us and protects us from all that is wrong and evil, especially in these hard times.

All praise belongs to Allah, the Lord Sustainer of the Universes, the mistakes are exclusively mine.

With Salaams and Dua's to the believers;

MSHNAK

Edited by mshnak

(bismillah)

Salam

Wow, Ahsantum wa masha Allah habibi. A wonderful discourse to say the least, I especially liked the exposition of Surah Asr, very nice. Both political and somewhat mystical, it reminds me of Imam Khumayni(A) and how he merged politics into the ocean of 'Irfan, beautiful. :cry:

Salam

me

Salaam Alaykum,

Ahsant wa jazakAllah khayr brother MSHNAK. I'd just like to say thanks for your words, they are indeed deeply meaningful and precise for those that choose to reflect on this issue. The keywords here are most surely 'for those that reflect'. ^_^

I personally do appreciate the time and effort you have taken to write this post up, along with all your previous posts. Your presentation of the facts are spot on and i cannot but agree with your stance on this issue.

May Allah (swt) reward those in abundance that stand up firm for truth with great strength and patience, holding up high the flag of Al-Husain(as). Long live the resistance.

Ws

QUOTE:

<Iraq's top Shia authority is denying media reports that it has opposed armed resistance against the US occupation of the country.

Speaking to Aljazeera, Hamid al-Khafaf, the spokesman for Grand Ayat Allah Ali al-Sistani, denied that the Shia authority in a meeting on Saturday expressed opposition to armed resistance.

"I confirm that there was no agreement among the Shia religious leaders on not resisting the multinational forces and the news was groundless and false," al-Khafaf said. >

In other words, some are for it and some are against it, hence, no agreement. The fact that Sadr is being compelled by the Shiite Authority to work within a political process set up and maintained by the 'occupation' in the hopes that this 'power politicing' will, somehow, end the occupation is an indicator that those who are against resisting the occupation forces (and are likely tools of it) are in the majority and being led by Sistani himself. It's ironic that Sistani can't seem to speak about any of this -- especially since he put himself in the very visible position of having 'ended' the Najaf battle. Also, how exactly does one resist the occupation by joining the very government and political system they set up, run, and have control of? Will you simply 'come to power' and then tell them to leave? I doubt it.

QUOTE:

<The denials came amid media reports that said the Shia authority in its meeting at the house of Ayat Allah al-Sistani in Najaf expressed its opposition to armed resistance.

Al-Najafi denied any fatwa being issued during the meeting. "The matter has nothing to do with fatwa and it was not a fatwa.>

A fatwa isn't going to be issued because this would spell the end of Sistani's position and authority which the occupation needs for 'crowd control', given that there appear to be divisions within 'the high council' on whether to or not to go along with the occupation or fight it. Nothing has ben cleared up and the spin being presented by this 'denial' only highlights the problem more.