Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
ShiaChat.com
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله

WHO, IS Al-QURAN TO BE RECITED TO...ALLAH OR MAN?

Rate this topic

• Advanced Member

PEACE TO ALL

[2.129] Our Lord! and raise up in them an Apostle from among them who shall recite to them Thy ayats and teach them the Book and the wisdom, and purify them; surely Thou art the Mighty, the Wise.

[2.151] Even as We have sent among you an Apostle from among you who recites to you Our ayats and purifies you and teaches you the Book and the wisdom and teaches you that which you did not know.

[2.97] Say: Whoever is the enemy of Jibreel-- for surely he revealed it to your heart by Allah's command, verifying that which is before it and guidance and good news for the believers.

[41.3] A Book of which the verses are made plain, an Arabic Quran for a people who know:

[41.4] A herald of good news and a warner, but most of them turn aside so they hear not.

[17.105] And with truth have We revealed it, and with truth did it come; and We have not sent you but as the giver of good news and as a warner.

[17.106] And it is a Quran which We have revealed in portions so that you may recite it to the people by slow degrees, and We have revealed it, revealing in portions.

[17.107] Say: Believe in it or believe not; surely those who are given the knowledge before it fall down on their faces, making obeisance when it is recited to them.

[75.18] Therefore when We have recited it, follow its recitation.

These ayats make three, at least, very important points:

1. Quran, was sent to people to be recited to people, hence, for Muslims to stand in ranks behind imams and recited the Quran back to Allah, is meaningless and, even, contemptuous behavior.

2. Ayats 2:97 and 41:4 define Quran as a Book of good news and warning and ayat 17:105 defines the Messenger as a giver of good news, hence, Al-Quran, is the good news and warning which the Messenger was to deliver/convey.

3. Ayats 17:105 and 75:18 makes it abundantly cleat that the only thing to be followed/obeyed for the guidance of Muslims...is Al-Quran.

Nowhere does Allah ever say to recite anything to Him.

What are your thoughts/comments?

• Advanced Member

Peace,

Good post, Iconoclast. I always thought that it was silly to recite God's verses back to Itself.. A lot of the verses start off with a proposition /command from God indicating the first person speaking to a second person, ordering him to recite to a third person. But the sunnis/shias and those who follow the other sects tell their people to recite these orders BACK to God, LOL!

If they recite chapter 112, they are telling GOD to SAY:

Say, He is God, the only one. The absolute God. He never begets, nor was He ever begotten. There in none that equals Him.

But if it's 109, they will tell God:

Say, O you disbelievers, I do not serve what you serve, nor are you serving what I am serving. I will never serve what you are serving, nor will you ever serve what I am serving. To you is your own way, and to me is my own way.

Or, if they chose 108, they will TELL GOD:

We have given you many bounties. In appreciation, you shall worship your Lord, and be charitable. You enemy henceforth will be the loser.

................ :huh:

Edited by LightUponLight
  • Advanced Member

Hanif

***Or rather you are reminding yourself to say "Say: HE is The ONE...."

The recitation is a healing for the hearts. And all those ayaat of teaching others the book, don't forget to teach yourself too. ie Recite in your prayers, during the day, at night etc***

There is no question that, recitation is good for the heart, however, recitation back to Allah, simply makes no sense at all. For example, how much sense does it make to recite the following ayats to Allah?

[23.66] My my ayats were indeed recited to you, but you used to turn back on your heels,

[23.105] Were not My ayats recited to you? But you used to reject them.

[75.18] Therefore when We have recited it, follow its recitation.

[87.6] We will make you recite so you shall not forget,

One does not have to stand up and recite things back to Allah, who, is already cognizant of what He revealed in the first place. If one wants to remind self and others of Allah's commands, then all on needs to do is read, contemplate, and discuss Al-Qur'an with self or with others.

• Advanced Member

(salam)

Not only does the Al-Quran provides guidance to man, it also strengthens the relationship of him and his Lord.

By reciting Al-Quran it benefits us...because we are dependent on it.

Whatever we do, it benefits us, not Allah. Because we are dependent on Him.

We communicate to Allah through our prayers and the other way is by reciting the Quran. Yes the Quran guides us and that is why we are advised to recite it.

But when you said..reciting the verses back at Him, I am assuming another picture. The way you explained it simply expresses arrogancy.

So I say it again:

When we recite AlQuran, it benefits us solely.

And whatever we do, it is all for seeking the pleasure of the Most merciful, Most Gracious.

wassalam, Sarah

Edited by Sarah
Guest Mehdi_Husain_Lover

(salam)

As everyone stated, you recite the quran for your own benefit....

you can also recite the quran for the people who passed away and it will benefit them...

you ask how?

If you recite the quran and dedicate it to the people who passed away, their punishment will be lowered and they will get mercy from Allah... and the torment of the grave will not affect them

ma3salama

Mehdi

Edited by Mehdi_Husain_Lover
  • Advanced Member
If you recite the quran and dedicate it to the people who passed away, their punishment will be lowered and they will get mercy from Allah..

How does reciting some verses of chapter five, and its rules on food, lower someone's punishment? :huh:

. and the torment of the grave will not affect them

Which ayats speak of the torment of the grave?

• Advanced Member

(bismillah)

(salam)

The point of the Quran is not for it to be recited back to Allah. The point of the Quran is that it is a guide for humans on how they should conduct their lives. Therefore its recitation acts as a reminder/warning to all people of the point of existence, of moral conduct and of how to prepare for the afterlife.

Having said that, a believer is rewarded for their recitation of the Quran by Allah simply because by heeding the words of the Quran that individual keeps them from sin. Forgive me if I'm wrong, but I think you have assumed that because muslims believe that they are rewarded by Allah for reciting the Quran that they are reciting the Quran to Allah. This is not so. Allah doesn't need reminding of his own words nor does he need reminders to guide himself.

As sister Sarah has said, the Quran strengthens mans relationship with Allah. By reciting the words of Allah not only does man constantly remember his creator and thank him for his blessings but also becomes spiritually attached as he realises that before him is a guide straight from Allah, the merciful creator.

If they recite chapter 112, they are telling GOD to SAY:

Say, He is God, the only one. The absolute God. He never begets, nor was He ever begotten. There in none that equals Him.

But if it's 109, they will tell God:

Say, O you disbelievers, I do not serve what you serve, nor are you serving what I am serving. I will never serve what you are serving, nor will you ever serve what I am serving. To you is your own way, and to me is my own way.

Or, if they chose 108, they will TELL GOD:

We have given you many bounties. In appreciation, you shall worship your Lord, and be charitable. You enemy henceforth will be the loser.

Forgive me if I'm wrong, but it seems to me that you have not understood the concept of the Quran. The Quran is the word of Allah. These are the very words with which he wants to address his creation. The Quran was revealed to Muhammad pbuh and he revealed them to the people. So when Allah says Say, He is God, the only one. The absolute God. He never begets, nor was He ever begotten. There in none that equals Him. he is actually telling Muhammad pbuh to tell the people. Thats what the 'say' part means. Therefore when reciting the Quran we are also remembering how this message reached us. We remember our prophet and the fact that it was him who revealed the Quran to the people. Hence Allah says 'Say: O you disbelievers' Muhammad is addressing the disbelievers telling them that he doesnt worship the idols that they worship.

To conclude, in no way is the Quran recited back to Allah. That is sheer stupidity and if that was the concept of reciting the Quran i wouldn't be a muslim. I am a muslim because I realise that Allah has sent this guide for me to recite and to remind myself of the point of existence, to keep myself away from sin and to strengthen my relationship with him. It also allows me to remember how this great religion was first revealed to the people.

If i have not addressed any of your questions or queries please bring it to our attention.

(salam)