Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله
Sign in to follow this  
Hablillah

Going to Iran

(bismillah)

(salam)

Insha Allah my family and I will be going to Iran in September. Most likely we'll be going to Tehran, Mashhad, Qum, Esfahan, and Hamedan (but other cities are possible as well). I wanted to know if you guys have some suggestions of things to do/places to see in those cities, besides the obvious (i.e. Ziyarah and stuff). We have some plans, but I'm just trying to broaden our horizons. :)

Also, do you guys have any suggestions for stuff that we should take with us? My mom and sisters have never been to Iran and my dad hasn't been there in some 20+ years. I went last year in August so I sort of have an idea of what we should take, but once again I just want to have everything covered, Insha Allah. (Keep in mind that we'll be in Iran for about 2-4 months, mainly in either Mashhad, Tehran, or Qum.)

And, how's the weather in the 3 above-mentioned cities, during fall and winter?

Thanks in advance. ^_^

Khoda hafez, wassalaam

p.s. Please try to give suggestions according to someone living in the u.s.

Salam Brother Hablillah

Tehran, Mashhad, Qum, Esfahan, and Hamedan

Nishapur

Sheraz

masjid e jamkaran

there are so many others

have a nice journey inshaAllah. :)

Brother Hablillah remember us all in your prayers :)

p.s. Please try to give suggestions according to someone living in the u.s.

:squeez: :huh:

Salam Alaykum.

There are so many places to go to in Esfahan, it's absolutely beautiful. "Esfahan nesfeh Jahaan." You can always ask a random taxi driver where the best tourist spots are, but make sure you check out all the sights around the Aliqapu palace, such as the Sheikh Lotfollah Mosque.

If you're going to Qum, you might as well drive a few hours to Kashan to see the Ameer Kabeer palace. There's also Golzaare Shohada, and Jamkaran of course.

In Tehran: Behesht-e-Zahra, shrine of Imam Khomeini, Golestan gardens, Jamshidiyeh park is nice, the Shah's palace, and there are a bunch of museums you can go to (I don't remember their names).

Mashad is basically just ziyarat. You can go to Imam Reza Bazar, some nice parks, and the cemetery as well.

Also, do you guys have any suggestions for stuff that we should take with us?

Basically nothing but necessities and spending money. Your mother and sister will need a chador for ziyarat.

Esfahan usually has a mild beautiful climate. I'm not sure about the winters there. But Mashad can get pretty cold during the winters. It usually snows a lot. Qum is ok during the fall, sometimes a bit hot.

Approx. how much spending money does one need to do an iran round trip???

Not much.. I heard once that Iran is the cheapest country to live in worldwide. But lately things have been getting expensive, especially with all the Kuwaitis and other rich Arab tourists who visit. $200 is not enough, especially if you're going to buy books (If you buy them from Ansariyan in Qum it's extremely cheap), 7irz, masbahas, etc etc. It depends on how long you're staying there though.

Now if you meant how much does it cost to travel throughout Iran, it depends on the 7amleh.

Edited by faithmuslima

Guest ShiaJihad
Salam Alaykum.

There are so many places to go to in Esfahan, it's absolutely beautiful. "Esfahan nesfeh Jahaan." You can always ask a random taxi driver where the best tourist spots are, but make sure you check out all the sights around the Aliqapu palace, such as the Sheikh Lotfollah Mosque.

If you're going to Qum, you might as well drive a few hours to Kashan to see the Ameer Kabeer palace. There's also Golzaare Shohada, and Jamkaran of course.

In Tehran: Behesht-e-Zahra, shrine of Imam Khomeini, Golestan gardens, Jamshidiyeh park is nice, the Shah's palace, and there are a bunch of museums you can go to (I don't remember their names).

Mashad is basically just ziyarat. You can go to Imam Reza Bazar, some nice parks, and the cemetery as well.

Also, do you guys have any suggestions for stuff that we should take with us?

Basically nothing but necessities and spending money. Your mother and sister will need a chador for ziyarat.

Esfahan usually has a mild beautiful climate. I'm not sure about the winters there. But Mashad can get pretty cold during the winters. It usually snows a lot. Qum is ok during the fall, sometimes a bit hot.

Not much.. I heard once that Iran is the cheapest country to live in worldwide. But lately things have been getting expensive, especially with all the Kuwaitis and other rich Arab tourists who visit. $200 is not enough, especially if you're going to buy books (If you buy them from Ansariyan in Qum it's extremely cheap), 7irz, masbahas, etc etc. It depends on how long you're staying there though.

Now if you meant how much does it cost to travel throughout Iran, it depends on the 7amleh.

is iran really cheap to live in?

Salams Sis,

You definitely gotta visit Shiraz too! :wub:

~The Tomb of 2 great Poets, Hafez and Sa'di!

~The famous Gardens!

~The ruins of Perspolis!

~Shahe Cheraagh & Bazare Vakil!

I dont know if $200 would be enough for spending in Iran specialy since you'll be traveling around to different cities! A friend of mine was recently in Iran and she said that a roundtrip ticket from Tehran to Shiraz was about $80. So make sure that you take enough with you!

Eltemaas Duaa...

(bismillah)

Walaykum assalaam Warahmeh everyone,

Thank you all so much for your suggestions, I really appreciate them. Especially thanks to Sr. faithmuslima :)

Jamkaran, Nayshabur, and Beheshte Zahra were some of the obvious places I was speaking of. As far as the rest, I hadn't heard of them. I will look into them Insha Allah.

You definitely gotta visit Shiraz too!

yea sis, I would like to visit Shiraz bc I haven't seen it yet and I'v heard a lot about it, but so far it doesn't seem very likely. I would also like to see Tabriz, but... Insha Allah Khayr.

if u can please come to our city too-------------->"zanjan". and if u want i will accept u as dear guests

You better be careful what you wish for :P But, zanjan is another place I'd like to see.....*sigh*

It really depends on a lot: how many ciites you plan on visiting, how much shopping, what kind of hotels you expect to stay in, duration of the trip etc. For example, we're a family of five (4 adults, one 10 yr old), staying apprx 5 weeks, going to a few cities, and expect to do a fair amount of shopping. In Tehran we'll stay with friends and family which will basically cut the cost of food and hotel in that city (which I think is the most expensive city). Transportation is pretty cheap. A decent hotel is pretty cheap as well.

We've estimated about $5,000US. Let's see how accurate that is, lol.

Oh, also another thing, if you fly Iranair, your roundtrip ticket from Tehran to Mashhad is free. At least that's what they told us. (I think its usually about $60, not sure about that though).

Brother Hablillah remember us all in your prayers

sis here :). I will Insha Allah.

have a nice journey inshaAllah.
I'm empty with suggestions ... but have a nice trip!

Thanks! Insha Allah we will.

Thanks again everyone for your suggestions. May Allah (swt) Bless you all Insha Allah.

take care, Khoda hafez

(bismillah)

(salam)

sis Hablillah :wub: :cry: she's reached Iran :wub: :) Masha Allah. I hope that when you read this sis, know that I miss you dearly :cry: but I am so excited for you. And for Allah's sake, i did NOT know that the tickets were that cheap :@ You let me know what airline you took to connect to IranAir because they're expensive as heck from DFW airport -_- *sighs* s'all good though. Hope you have so much fun sis...Well, you will :D I know it. Good luck with the farsi-lessons.

sis Zeinab :wub: don't give up on our plan!

Wassalam, MG

(bismillah)

Walaykum assalaam warahmatullah!

Sorry sis -Zeinab- sweetie that I didn't reply to your post, I really had every intention to do so, but things got so hectic at the end, lol. Hey I offered to stuff u guys in my bags so no complaints, ok? :)

And, thanks for the warm wishes. So far things are great here Alhamdolillah. You will most def. be in my duaa Insha Allah. I told sis MG that Im going to try to get some of the video I took and upload it to our computer and send it to you guys asap Insha Allah.

MG, hon, lol I miss u too!! But trust me Im so much in la-la land that I cant tell top from bottom, lol. Alhamdolillah. Oh and yea the tickets were cheap bc we went during off-season. Thats why we waited until September. We originally wanted to go in June or August. But it was khayr that we waited until now. umm, I think each ticket was about $950 including tax, so not bad! not bad at all. We got 'em from a travel agency here.

Oh and the farsi lessons, I dont think I'll need them. Ive only been here a few days and Im speaking farsi. Well not GREAT... but purdy darn good if I do say so myself, lol.

Oh boy, I spoke too much, its the over excitement.

Anyways, take care everyone!

Khoda hafez

Selam alaycom,

Iran? Cheap? HA! I was there for a week, (2 adults, 3 children) and we spent about $4,000 USD....... Unless you look Iranian and speak farsi, they are HARAMIS!!!!!!

Be careful not to get robbed or pickpocketed, and don't finish your cash because they don't accept visa or mastercard, and you can't have money wired unless you know an Iranian citizen with a bank account (one you trust).

Peace,

Um Ali

:o $4,000???? That's not possible :o Ya dilleh 3alaykeh! They really took advantage of you down there. I bet it's those taxi drivers :angry: Once they know you're "khareji" that's IT, they rip you off all they can.

Reminds me of a true story.. one Kuwaiti man came on a visit to Iran for ziyara, had no idea what the currency was all about. A taxi driver charged him 30,000 tomans instead of the real price, 3,000 tomans. Anyhow, after the driver dropped the guy off, he got into a mini accident, and subhanallah it cost him exactly 30,000 tomans to pay for it :)

:!!!:

A couple of hours drive away is Qilat-e-Naderi one of my most favourite places on this planet.

It's where Nadir Shah built a little palace after coming back from India. The drive fom Mashhad is excellent - through the hills and clouds.

Allow a full day.

Don't worry about being ripped off. Make sure you negotiate and agree everything beforehand.

We used drivers recommended by and known to the hotel(s).

lool at the taxi drivers!

So far we've been here for almost one week and we've spent about $600. Thats a family of 8 (5 adults, 2 children). Its including the cost of a trip to Esfahan (from tehran) by train and staying in a hotel for 3 days. And of course also taxi fairs, lunch and dinner, and shopping for gifts to take back home. It's not hat bad to be honest. But then again, we're Iranians, and when we go to some places we dont speak any english and my aunt would even speak with an esfahani accent sometimes.

Esfahan is absolutely GORGEOUS, Masha Allah. Just splendid. Now we're back in yucky ol' Tehran. But I suppose tehran has its own "niceness". You just have to look for it, like really reallllly hard. :)

And sis Jla, there are places that accept Visa and Mastercard. Actually when we were at Imam Square in esfahan there were TONS of shops that accepted visa and mastercard. But of course everywhere is not the same. And Im really sorry that you didn't have a pleasant trip. May Allah (swt) have mercy on those who took advantage of you guys. :)

A couple of hours drive away is Qilat-e-Naderi one of my most favourite places on this planet.

It's where Nadir Shah built a little palace after coming back from India. The drive fom Mashhad is excellent - through the hills and clouds.

We're actually debating about driving to Mashhad rather than flying. I'll keep that in mind. thanks

(salam)

Awwww sis Hablillah is in Iran :wub:

Lucky you :cry:

I hope your enjoying your trip sis (sounds like you are) and don't forget to take plenty of photos and make Dua for me in the Holy places.

I hope your trip back to America is safe and pleasent, inshAllah :)

Fee ameen illah,

Wasalaam.

jla, man I feel sorry for you. They seriously ripped you off.

A monthly salary is $150 there and you spent $4000 in two weeks.

But jla is right about credit cards etc.

The clerics have not nurtured the tourist industry at all, and as a result the quality is much lower than the countries on the other side of the Persian Gulf.

jla, man I feel sorry for you. They seriously ripped you off.

A monthly salary is $150 there and you spent $4000 in two weeks.

But jla is right about credit cards etc.

The clerics have not nurtured the tourist industry at all, and as a result the quality is much lower than the countries on the other side of the Persian Gulf.

Selam alaycom,

4,000 in one week :squeez:

But I did stay at a nice hotel (ordered room service, had laundry done there ect), and had a driver/tour guide. I bought a few paintings, a dozen or so silver / aqeeq rings and necklaces, and 2 kgs of saffron..... oh and new tickets from Gulf Air when Iranian Air mysteriously cancelled my reservation even though I confirmed it.

Peace,

Um Ali

Edited by jlainqatar

4,000 in one week 

But I did stay at a nice hotel (ordered room service, had laundry done there ect), and had a driver/tour guide. I bought a few paintings, a dozen or so silver / aqeeq rings and necklaces, and 2 kgs of saffron..... oh and new tickets from Gulf Air when Iranian Air mysteriously cancelled my reservation even though I confirmed it.

Ouch. :squeez:

2 kgs of saffron?!

One thing iranians never heard of: good service.

Light years away from that.