In the Name of God بسم الله

Iran abolishes death by stoning

Rate this topic

• Advanced Member

Iran abolishes death by stoning

Death by stoning ends

KHOSRO NAZARI IN TEHRAN

IRAN has abolished stoning as a form of capital punishment, an Iranian newspaper reported yesterday, in an apparent bid to ease European Union human rights concerns.

The Bahar daily newspaper quoted Qorbanali Dorri Najafabadi, the former intelligence minister who heads the Supreme Administrative Court, as saying: "The practice has been stopped for a while."

The newspaper also cited a reformist parliamentarian as saying the head of the judiciary had sent a directive to judges instructing them to stop issuing death verdicts by stoning.

"To the best of my knowledge, Ayatollah Mahmoud Hashemi Shahroudi has ordered that execution by stoning should be stopped," said Jamileh Kadivar.

Under Iran’s strict Islamic law, in place since the 1979 Islamic revolution, men and women convicted of adultery are normally sentenced to death by stoning. The condemned are buried in a pit - men up to their waists, women their armpits - and pelted.

Under the law, the stones must be big enough to injure but not kill with just a few blows. Victims who can dig themselves out are acquitted.

Officials refuse to say how often stonings occur, but at least two women were reportedly stoned to death last year.

http://www.thescotsman.co.uk/intern...m?id=1433912002

• Veteran Member

not sure if this is true. it needs to be verified.

the western media fabrications on iran are of two types.

1, to give the impression that iran is a terrorist state.

2, to give the impression that iran is becoming more secular and unislamic. so that the muslims dont support the country.

i dont think i have seen so much fabricated news from the wesern media on another country.

• Advanced Member

salaam

yes i know, i have seen so many amazing lies in the past,

heres another article

Iranian Cleric Rules on Death by Stoning

.c The Associated Press

TEHRAN, Iran (AP) - A senior Iranian cleric has ruled that death by stoning is not the only possible punishment for adultery, opening the way for women lawmakers who have campaigned against the practice to propose a bill banning stoning.

``In certain circumstances, death by stoning can be replaced by other methods of punishment,'' Grand Ayatollah Naser Makarem Shirazi said in a written fatwa, or religious ruling, obtained Sunday by The Associated Press.

The ruling did not elaborate and Shirazi was not immediately available for comment.

Shirazi is a highly influential cleric in the city of Qom - Iran's religious center. Abiding by the ruling of senior clerics is considered a religious obligation for the country's Shiite-dominated Muslim population.

Earlier this month, Iran's 11 women lawmakers asked Shirazi's blessing before submitting a bill to the 290-seat legislature to abolish stoning.

Though Shirazi did not directly cite the lawmakers or ban stoning, his ruling gives the lawmakers a green light to submit their bill.

``This is a victory for reformist lawmakers who seek to end discrimination against women,'' reformist lawmaker Fatemeh Rake'i told the AP.

``Our Islamic laws need to be updated and meet demands of the modern time.''

If the bill is endorsed by the legislature, which is dominated by lawmakers in favor of reform, it has to be approved by the conservative Guardian Council, a legislative oversight body controlled by hard-liners.

Ayatollah Hussein Mousavi Tabrizi, another senior cleric in Qom, about 80 miles south of the capital Tehran, said stopping stoning was a response to the ``demands of modern age.''

``Any punishment, including stoning, that defames Islam or depicts a bad picture of the religion in the world is harmful to Islam and it is fully Islamic to stop it,'' he told the AP.

Although it was widely imposed in the early years after the 1979 Islamic revolution, stoning now is rarely applied.

No official figures are available, but based on newspaper reports, at least two stoning sentences were carried out in 2001. The sentence was handed down several times in 2002 but it was unclear if any executions were carried out.

European Union officials who visited Iran earlier this month to discuss human rights said Iranian officials ``signaled their intention'' to put a moratorium on stoning.

12/29/02 23:07 EST

• Advanced Member

I read this news in yesterdays Paper. I would like to know if there is anyone here that can get me the latest, most correct news from Iran regarding this news.

These Zionist media are very clever. Now it seems they are eager to report that an Islamic ruling is Barbaric & not suitable for modern time and that Iran is failing to uphold its Islamic constitution. Tomorrow when someone is punish under Iranian Islamic laws, they will be reporting the freedom right violations. I guess their job is to make Iran looks bad in any case.

• Advanced Member

salaam

didnt see your post with the link

heres another

Iran bans death penalty by stoning: press

Tehran, Dec 28, IRNA -- Iran has temporarily banned capital punishment

by stoning following a directive by the Judiciary head to judges in

that connection, the press reported on Saturday.

The English-language daily 'Tehran Times' quoted Head of Iran's

Supreme Administrative Court Qorbanali Dorri Najafabadi as saying that

the practice has been stopped for a while.

Also, the daily quoted a female parliamentarian, Jamileh Kadivar,

as saying that Judiciary Head Ayatollah Mahmoud Hashemi Shahroudi had

sent a directive to judges instructing them to stop issuing death

verdicts by stoning.

"To the best of my knowledge, Ayatollah Shahroudi has ordered that

execution by stoning should be stopped," she said.

Iran's Judiciary officials are yet to comment on the reports.

AA/AR

End

guess hanging will do :donno:

w s

Edited by sag_IMAM-REZA

• Advanced Member
Dang - Why is Iran so pacifistic :cry:

Salaam alaikum,

Why are they pacifists? They didn't say they weren't going to have capital punishment, just not stoning. I agree with this. I think the death penalty is the important thing, not the method. They didn't have electric chairs or gas chambers etc,. centuries ago, so they had to use stoning. I don't see any reason why they can't change the method to something more modern.

WaSalaam, Hajar

• Advanced Member
salaam

"electric chairs" i think thats the most crule form of punishment ever known to man.

w s

Salaam alaikum,

Yeah it was kind of cruel, but I think it should still be used for rapists and child molesters. I don't have a problem with them suffering some before they die.

WaSalaam, Hajar

• Advanced Member

salaam,

i use the yusuf ali translation cuz i don't know arabic and im hanafi :angel: . however, when i compared translations, the words used in verse 24:2 vary. while the act is the same for adulterer and fornicator, there is a big difference in punishment (flogging vs. death by stoning). i was always under the impression that the ali translation was the most reliable and thus favored flogging for both adulterer and fornicator. which translation is most accurate?

YUSUFALI: The woman and the man guilty of adultery or fornication,- flog each of them with a hundred stripes: Let not compassion move you in their case, in a matter prescribed by Allah, if ye believe in Allah and the Last Day: and let a party of the Believers witness their punishment.

PICKTHAL: The adulterer and the adulteress, scourge ye each one of them (with) a hundred stripes. And let not pity for the twain withhold you from obedience to Allah, if ye believe in Allah and the Last Day. And let a party of believers witness their punishment.

SHAKIR: (As for) the fornicatress and the fornicator, flog each of them, (giving) a hundred stripes, and let not pity for them detain you in the matter of obedience to Allah, if you believe in Allah and the last day, and let a party of believers witness their chastisement.

Edited by naaz_aneen

• Advanced Member

Salam Alaikum,

As far as I know, stoning is not mentioned in Quran as a punishment for fornification. I thought it came from hadith?

So where did you see death by stoning?

btw what do you mean your hanafi? as in you follow the hanafi madhhab?

Salam :)

• Advanced Member

salaam,

stoning does come from the hadith. however, the punishment may differ based on the translation used. for example, if we go by the quran and yusuf ali's translation, both the adulterer and the fornicator are flogged 100 times. but if we go by shakir's translation, it is the fornicator who is flogged, and the adulterer, according to hadiths, is stoned to death. im asking which translation of the quran is most accurate, cuz if the quran mandates that both the adulterer and fornicator be flogged, then why is stoning, as founded in hadith tradition, superceding the quran?and yes, hanafi madhab

• Advanced Member
salaam,

i use the yusuf ali translation cuz i don't know arabic and im hanafi :angel: . however, when i compared translations, the words used in verse 24:2 vary. while the act is the same for adulterer and fornicator, there is a big difference in punishment (flogging vs. death by stoning). i was always under the impression that the ali translation was the most reliable and thus favored flogging for both adulterer and fornicator. which translation is most accurate?

YUSUFALI: The woman and the man guilty of adultery or fornication,- flog each of them with a hundred stripes: Let not compassion move you in their case, in a matter prescribed by Allah, if ye believe in Allah and the Last Day: and let a party of the Believers witness their punishment.

PICKTHAL: The adulterer and the adulteress, scourge ye each one of them (with) a hundred stripes. And let not pity for the twain withhold you from obedience to Allah, if ye believe in Allah and the Last Day. And let a party of believers witness their punishment.

SHAKIR: (As for) the fornicatress and the fornicator, flog each of them, (giving) a hundred stripes, and let not pity for them detain you in the matter of obedience to Allah, if you believe in Allah and the last day, and let a party of believers witness their chastisement.

Salaam alaikum,

The Scholars say that this aya refers to unmarried people.

WaSalaam, Hajar

• Advanced Member

Salam Alaikum,

Sis Naaz aneen I see what you're saying now. Good point, I'm not sure of the answer to that though. But Sis Hajar says scholars say it refers to unmarried people. So I don't know why there's a difference in translation. Didn't notice it before. :huh:

• Advanced Member
salaam

fornicators are unmarried people; adulterers are married people.

Salaam alaikum,

Yes, so I think the translation of Shakir would be more correct. I'm not sure why the other translators used the word adultery, expecially since there is no disagreement that this aya refers to unmarried people.

WaSalaam, Hajar

• Advanced Member
salaam

"electric chairs" i think thats the most crule form of punishment ever known to man.

w s

Salaam alaikum,

Yeah it was kind of cruel, but I think it should still be used for rapists and child molesters. I don't have a problem with them suffering some before they die.

WaSalaam, Hajar

salaam

lol ok :)

it upsets me that bush himself singe'd a sentence for a retard to be electricuted but iran has to pay for following its rligion.

Bro Hezbi, thats what i mean, this is burning alive.... you electricute and fry till your eye ball pop out and your brain turns into oooz.

the europians have no right to bother iran when the us does this and while they themselves have sex slaves in their prisons.

w s

• Advanced Member
I prefer we shoot the guy or hang him. Quick, easy and fast.

I have a question. How about Thieves? Punishment for them is marking/branding their hands …Can we reinterpret that too or not really..?

salaam

well if it hurts islam to chop off hands then i dont mined them being wip'd silly or beaten up until we are united and strong enough to protect the image of islam.

Bro Hezbi, if it is ever up to you, please fry me instead of disection, lol thats too much for.

once i had a big cut on my face and a dr was cutting peices of the cut part off so he could make it pretty lol, it didnt hurt at all but ust the sound of my skin being cut off was killing me, so yes i would rather fry than sit down and have my eye balls or tummy disected :o

• Advanced Member

I think Zareen is right..

just shoot him ...

I think in Iran, they used to shoot the criminals in the days of Shah, what do they do these days???

In Pakistan, they hang up, same is the case in Afghanistan..

In Saudi Arabia, they just cut off the heads

In USA, in the states where this type of punishment is allowed, they inject poison in the body... (may be they use electrical chairs too as bro. sage pointed)

I think, all of the above are fine.. except, that electrical chair thing... and ofcourse stoning also..

ma'salama

Edited by Peer Syed Sahib

• Advanced Member

This is a good argument, electric chair alot worse then stoning.

The west also condemns the way we slaughter animals but they themselves electricute them to death and throw them in boiling water (sometimes they are alive when they fall in the boiling water)

:angry:

• Advanced Member

salam all,

diluting islam to pacify the west is wrong.

when quran says "flog" it means flog......when hadith says "stone" it means "stone".....

there were easier swifter ways at the time of Prophet also...what can be easier than chopping of head by a sword?....coming from a good swodsman, it could be swifter even than shooting!! but the prophet said "stone the adulterer"...not "chop off his head"...

the idea of stoning is to make exemplery punishment to deter others from following suit...thats why there is the provision that a section of the masses from among the muslims be a witness to the flogging/stoning....

we dont expect the Islamic republic of Iran to dilute/amend/suspend islamic laws to please westerners or their own women parliamentarians...

if these reports are true then imam khamanei must intervene and revoke any such orders....

wassalam

anwar

• Advanced Member

Iranian cleric: Execution by stoning suspended temporarily

Gharavian says it is up to supreme leader to make final decision on whether to stop executions by stoning.

TEHRAN - A moratorium on executions by stoning is only temporary, a top Iranian conservative cleric said Saturday, while admitting the practice had hurt the Islamic republic's image abroad.

"Stonings have been provisionally suspended due to their negative effects, but this suspension is provisional," Hojatoleslam Mohsen Gharavian, a conservative cleric based in the central theological base of Qom, was quoted as saying by the state news agency IRNA.

With a suspension in place, he said it was now up to Iran's supreme leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei to make a final decision on whether executions by stoning - used to punish adulterers - should be totally stopped.

"The punishment of stoning, if they are not in the interests of Muslims and Islam, can be suspended for a determined period by the supreme guide," he was quoted as saying.

Last week member of parliament Jamileh Kadivar said Iran's judiciary will no longer order executions by stoning and has told judges to issue alternative punishments for adultery.

The European Union, which is currently engaged in human rights talks linked to landmark trade negotiations, has been asking Iran to impose a moratorium on executions by stoning.

Iran's reformist camp, which controls parliament and the presidency under Mohammad Khatami, has also been urging a change, along with a string of visiting foreign dignitaries.

Under the strict form of Islamic law in force here since the 1979 revolution, execution by stoning is usually imposed for adultery.

But in practice, the punishment is seldom ordered, given that even some prominent conservatives have blasted the practice as backward.

EU diplomats said there were two confirmed cases in 2001, and one unconfirmed case in 2002 in which a condemned woman reportedly survived by struggling out of the pit in which she had been buried before she could be killed.

Women sentenced to death are buried up to their shoulders, and men up to the waist, then onlookers are invited to pelt them with stones until death.

The stones are selected to be too small to kill immediately, in what London-based rights group Amnesty International has described as a "method specifically designed to increase the victim's suffering". Print Printer Friendly Version

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

• Advanced Member

salam all,

banning qamazani and zanjeer is okay..as these are unislamic and paganic practices...but suspending islamic laws is bad on the part of iranian judiciary....and that to please the west???....!!!!...imam khumaini must be turning in his grave..!!!..

i hope imam khamanie will not let muslims down on this issue and will reinstate the shariah law of stoning of adulteres.

wassalam

anwar

Edited by anwarjami