Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله
Bahlool

Your conversion to Islam

Rate this topic

Sallam Alaikum Brothers & Sisters,

Being born a Shia, I always took my religion for granted. For a long time I was just a Shia because I was born shia. I lived most of my life in the Middle east. I never realised Islam's beauty & perfection because I never compared it with other religions.

So when I hear about converts to Islam (Shia or Sunni) it does impress me a lot. It makes me curious to know what led a person to become a Muslim. It's a huge sacrifice & takes a lot of courage to abandon ones faith and become a Muslim.

There are many converts here in this forum. It would be great if you could put up your story here, on how you converted to Islam. Your story would certainly enlighten all of us, especially those who were born in Muslim families.

Sallams & Duas,

Bahlool

Last week my 30+ year search for truth ended when I made the declaration of faith, first in private to Allah, then on the forum to inform others. At that point I opened a door to my future, one of many doors I had stood in front of but the only one that I had opened. So here is my story:

I am 55 and was born into and raised in a small town conservative Christian environment. Like any child I accepted what was considered the normal beliefs of the adults. In my mid-teens I started to have questions. There were just too many people that I thought of as Sunday morning Christians. They seemed to think that as long as they went to church for an hour or so, whatever they did during the week would be forgiven. I saw many Christians but not much Christianity. The other big problem that I had was the idea that Jesus was one of the three parts of God. It did not make sense to me. The teachings of Jesus as a man inspired by God seemed to be a good way to live; but, I could not understand ignoring the teachings and worshiping the man. Needless to say I was confused.

As with others my age I was constantly exposed to war stories from relatives and movies about World War 2 and Korea. This had the effect on me and others that the US can do no wrong and the world must be protected from evil. Evil being described as whatever the government did not like. More about this in a bit.

When I went off to college I suffered culture shock. I went from a small town of 4000 people to a University with an enrollment of 15,000 in a city with almost a million people. I was totally unprepared for that. At the end of my freshman year I left school, joined the military and volunteered for duty in VietNam. I was still under the influence of the stories and movies.

After the duty tour in VietNam was over I started to have a few questions about why we were there, but not enough questions. I volunteered for a second tour. It was during this time that an old friend of mine who had turned hippie, sent me a book about the history of VietNam. Then I understood, they were fighting for their freedom and the right to self-determination. From that time, I did what I had to do to stay alive, but, I killed no more.

So began my search for the truth. I have read about, studied, discussed, and contemplated the religions and cultures all over the world since that time. It was only about a year ago that I realized that Islam was the only path that I had returned to for a more in-depth look several times. Something kept drawing me back. Over the last year I have read much about Islam and the Muslim people. I had many questions and developed a general feeling that Shia might be the way.

I do not have the words to fully describe the feeling that came over me last Friday. There was a sudden warmth and relaxation. I felt that in my heart and being that I had been forgiven for my actions in VietNam...there was joy in my heart...my search was over...I opened the door to Islam.

I know now what to do with whatever years left that have been preordained for me.

bill

Last week my 30+ year search for truth ended when I made the declaration of faith, first in private to Allah, then on the forum to inform others. At that point I opened a door to my future, one of many doors I had stood in front of but the only one that I had opened. So here is my story:

I am 55 and was born into and raised in a small town conservative Christian environment. Like any child I accepted what was considered the normal beliefs of the adults. In my mid-teens I started to have questions. There were just too many people that I thought of as Sunday morning Christians. They seemed to think that as long as they went to church for an hour or so, whatever they did during the week would be forgiven. I saw many Christians but not much Christianity. The other big problem that I had was the idea that Jesus was one of the three parts of God. It did not make sense to me. The teachings of Jesus as a man inspired by God seemed to be a good way to live; but, I could not understand ignoring the teachings and worshiping the man. Needless to say I was confused.

As with others my age I was constantly exposed to war stories from relatives and movies about World War 2 and Korea. This had the effect on me and others that the US can do no wrong and the world must be protected from evil. Evil being described as whatever the government did not like. More about this in a bit.

When I went off to college I suffered culture shock. I went from a small town of 4000 people to a University with an enrollment of 15,000 in a city with almost a million people. I was totally unprepared for that. At the end of my freshman year I left school, joined the military and volunteered for duty in VietNam. I was still under the influence of the stories and movies.

After the duty tour in VietNam was over I started to have a few questions about why we were there, but not enough questions. I volunteered for a second tour. It was during this time that an old friend of mine who had turned hippie, sent me a book about the history of VietNam. Then I understood, they were fighting for their freedom and the right to self-determination. From that time, I did what I had to do to stay alive, but, I killed no more.

So began my search for the truth. I have read about, studied, discussed, and contemplated the religions and cultures all over the world since that time. It was only about a year ago that I realized that Islam was the only path that I had returned to for a more in-depth look several times. Something kept drawing me back. Over the last year I have read much about Islam and the Muslim people. I had many questions and developed a general feeling that Shia might be the way.

I do not have the words to fully describe the feeling that came over me last Friday. There was a sudden warmth and relaxation. I felt that in my heart and being that I had been forgiven for my actions in VietNam...there was joy in my heart...my search was over...I opened the door to Islam.

I know now what to do with whatever years left that have been preordained for me.

bill

MASHA Allah

(salam)

SubhanAllah, what beautiful stories everyone has :cry: it's so wonderful to see people who have a real thrist to go out and search for the truth. Although I am not a convert myself, my friends mother is, and subhanAllah her story is beautiful as well. I don't know the whole story but basically she went to see her college advisor and saw the Quran on her desk and since she was confused about religion at the time, she asked to borrow it, then read it, did some research and Alhamdollilah found the right path :)

Edited by FreedomFighter

(bismillah)

(bismillah)

In the Name of Allah Most Gracious Most Merciful.

Oh Allah I ask you to send peace and blessings to Mohammed and the progeny of Mohammed.

I was around muslims since I was a teenager, yet I wasnt informed about Islam because all I seen was "muslims" I had ignorance in my heart as I generalized about all the muslims I wasnt at that point in time willing to see the truth I guess one could say I was "deaf dumb and blind"I refused to see the truth and For many years as I played follow the leader with my friends I teased the muslim wiomen calling them opressed and basically not in controll of their own mind when in fact it was nme that wasnt thinking with my own mind I was following my friends . Though I said all these things I felt compelled towards these modest women of which I secretly admired in my heart I would never admit these things out of fear that my friends would reject me. I was not a very good christian for most of my youthbut then as I was getting older I realized that I needed spirituality so I started attending church and became "born again" I was quite passoniate about my church ,my new family at the church and my new personal relationship with God as I loved God with a passion I couldnt explain .I went every wensday and sunday to church and we had many activities between those times I was on a roll yet I hadnt studied much into christianity I just went on what the preacher said.I started dating a muslim and I started to try to convince him of christianity and was pleading with him to accept Jesus (Little that I knew he already accepted Jesus As I soon fount out .)I started to have religious conversations with my boyfriends brother about the faiths which braught about doubts about my faith in christianity. I tryed to supress these doubts by convincing myself that it was the devil leading me to such doubts, but the thaught was there so I had to see for myself .So as any confused individual would do I went in search of truth (actually hoping to prove Islam wrong)it would have been alot easier than admitting I was wrong.First of all I spoke with my pastor and he told me that muslims deny Jesus as a messenger and as the son of God .He warned me that muslims would claim to love jesus so we (christians) would open our heart and accept muslims So they could in effect get the souls of the christians (almost like a competition between muslims and christians) I later found out that the competition was purely from the christians side. my pastor then told me that he himself had doubts before but he overcame those doubts thru love of Jesus Christ .which led me to the quettion that I think made him upset with me I said If he had doubts why did he not go seek the truth instead of having just blind faith,I also made the comment that if he was so sure in faith He would not be afraid of seeking further into it for if he seeked truth he would have been set free"the truth will set you free" If he was so confident then why not as a reconfirmation of faith confirm the truth yet he denied that simply saying thru the love of Jesus we will be saved and doubting the love of Jesus was a grave sin.Well My next step towards truth was going to the Mosque .I remember entering the mosque for the first time I wasnt wearing Hijjab(veil) and the lady came over to me and handed me a hijjab So I put it on out of respect . The first thing I noticed was a wall hanging that said "In the name of Allah most gracious most mercifull" I was taken back by that phrase as I stood there in a transe I thaught aboiut those words that had so much meaning to them My first thaught was "most gracious what would God be gracious to mere sinners like us since we were boorn sinners why wiould we have such an honor" I then I concentrated with the words Most mercifull wow a God that is automatically mercifull forgives our sins because he is mercifull "I was astonished at these words I mean this whole time I was searching for a personal relationship with Allah All mighty thru Christianity when in fact the relationship I could only dream of forming was thru Islam. See in christianity I realized that your relationship with God is thru Jesus and well I am sorry but I believe that if we need an interseccor then the relationship is no longer "personal" ie becoming as personal as the relationship you have with your insurance company thru the mail carrier . As I was standing there a lady approached me and asked if I needed help I repliied Can I purchase a Quran she replied no need to If you do me a favor I will give you a Quran I said of course So she then took Me in the bathroom (I was a bit hesistant) but I went anyway She went to the sink and washed her hands, face, arms head and feet each three times and she showed me how to do this and she explained it was purification For reading the Quran and praying. I thanked her As she handed me a Quran and a couple books One book teaching Salat and the other about Fatimah Al Zahara "Fatimah the gracious"we bid farewell as I went on my way .I read the Quran for all of that week As I was very intrigued with the stories in it and well to be honost before I was even through with Surah Albaqarah (the second book in the Quran) I was convinced of the truth in it .The following Friday I went back to the same mosque and said My Shahaddah.....LA ILLAHA ILLALLA MOHAMMEDUN RASOOLILAH Allah HU AKBAR Allah HU AKBAR Allah HU AKBAR

Alhamdillah!!!!!!!!!!

Asalaamu Alaikom.

This story is about my journey. It is a continuation of How I became Muslim.

In February of 2001 I purchased a computer and immediately learned How to chat. I went to yahoo rooms mainly and conversated with many brothers and sisters. I remember giving this sister a site about some miracles of Islam and she quickly got harsh with me. She said That is a SHIA SITE and SHIAS ARE KAFFERS. Well this astonished me because in fact I was shia yet I did not know much about what Shia's believed. In fact I didn't know much about Sunni's either. My husband is sunni but we never discussed religious matters so I decided to come on the net to learn more about what sunni's believed.

As I sat in chat rooms I defended my belief as a shia yet my knowledge was very limited so I couldn't argue with people. I still remember being ashamed of myself when salafi's would win arguments due to my lack of knowledge. As I grew to know many of the Muslims I befriended many of them (salafi's mostly) and they started teaching me about what They considered True Islam to be. Many of them grew very tolerant to my questions knowing I hadn't equipped myself with enough knowledge of the Shia path.

As I learned more and more It seemed that Shias were wrong but I never verbalized it until one day I went to a store with a friend and the owner of the store was Iraqi who was shia and became salafi. As I sat in his store I read many books pertaining to the salafeh saleh and it seemed rather logical still I didn't believe. So one day the owner asked me to stay at the store while he ran some errands and I said yes. As I was sitting in the store a brother came in who also was shia and became salafi and we started to talk. He told me that Imam Khomeni (ra) stated that Ali is a physical form of Allah (astaghfirr Allah) and he informed me that he knew more about shias then I would ever know. As we discussed more and more I became convinced of what he was saying. I thought to myself well why would he lie. He used to be shia and now is salafi so obviously he had more knowledge than me. I did not question him further as I had submitted to his lies and decided that I wouldn't even ask for daleel(truth) since there was no place he could show me from. *i.e. in Khomeni's books* .

As I started to become salafi I surrounded myself around more and more salafi sisters. I seen how they were and admired them for their strength and Eman. I was almost envious because they were so knowledgeable. I much like many new reverts expected that extremism had to be right. I thought because they were so extreme that they had to be right so I retook my shahaddah in front of some sisters in Ohio and proclaimed to the world that I was salafi. As time passed I started ridiculing shias ever so much to the point of calling them kaffers and saying I couldn't eat their meat. I had shia friends still but I always thought they were wrong so I stopped associating with them

. One day as I nestled down on my comfy chair I read Sahih Bukhari as I did every night to increase my knowledge and I came across the hadith that talked about the tragedy of Thursday. Just then I remembered reading the same hadith in a book called Then I was Guided and remembered where I hid it so I got up to get it to read it more. I do admit though that I was looking to read it so I could have a better argument against the shias. I sat down on my bed with My Quran on my lap, Then I was guided in my hands, and Bukhari sitting on the bed next to me so I could reference it. As I read this book I started doubting more and more what My beliefs were. I fount the references in Bukhari and the Quran and wished I had Sahih Muslim to reference from that also but I was satisfied with Bukhari. As I read further and further into the book I threw it a few times in complete frustration.. I always went and picked it up so I could read it again. I didn't know what to do after reading that book and I just fell on my face weeping and crying to Allah for guidance.

I was so depressed because I didn't know how to please Allah. I asked Allah to send me a sign or to do something that would show me which path I should take and He did. It was rather weird also because It came Via the internet. After I was finished praying I went to the internet to perhaps get some answers to some of Tijani's questions. My msn messenger popped up that I had a message so I went to read it. It was a sister looking for someone to accompany her to Washington Dc for the Rally for Palestine. Well of course I was truly happy because I called all the Masjids previously that day to find a seat on a bus so I could go but to no avail. I wrote the sister back saying I was willing to go and I would even help out with the finances for the trip. I eagerly awaited her reply. She wrote me back a couple hours later and said that she was about to go to sleep and just give up when she just had the feeling to check her email. She was surprised to see that I wrote her and She was quite happy to have me. So We connected on AOL messenger to talk more about it. She picked me up the next morning and we were off to Washington.

As we were in the car I told her about being salafi and how I was having doubts and just as she started telling me about the Ahul Bayt I remembered that I asked Allah to guide me and show me a sign. I kept this inside as I listened to her speak about the Ahul Bayt and the way of the Shia. I tried to tell her some of the things that I heard but she quickly refuted them. As we were traveling we got tired and decided to spend the night at a Hotel. I was so tired so this came as a blessing to me. I also needed to pray because it passed the time. As I stood in prayer with my arms crossed I was so nervous. What if she thought I was wrong What if she interrupted me during my prayer to correct me as many salafi's ladies have done. I couldn't even concentrate but I finished my prayer without a peep from her. After I was finished praying I felt the need to explain or rather excuse my methods of praying and she informed me that it was ok.

As we talked throughout the night she told me that she has PhD's in religion and she has studied religion allot. I was impressed and kept asking her questions. We didn't get much sleep that night because I had so many questions and she had the answers to them. I felt so fulfilled after I woke up that I rushed to pray before she woke up. As I stood in prayer I prayed like a shia and felt so much Taqwa and Utter light upon my heart. The same light I felt when I became a Muslim in the first place.

On the way to Washington we visited some of her Husbands friends in VA and they were so kind. I also asked them many questions trying to take advantage of every moment of my journey. We attended the Rally and it was a success and I was just so happy to have gone. On the way back I told her that I know that Allah has guided me back to the path of Shia Islam and I wanted to take my Shahaddah. So on the freeway I Stated ASHADU ANLA ILLAHA ILLALLA WA ASHADU ANA MOHAMMEDUN RASOOLILAH WA ASHADU ANLA ALIUN WALI Allah.. She started crying and I did also. When I returned and told my husband and friends of my discovery they all thought I was a joke. They said next I will be Buddhist.. But who's laughing Now. I am and forever will be SHIA insh Allah. Alhamdoolilah.

Having your eyes covered by duct tape is never someone's choice,

through arrogance the Shaitan will keep the tape on your eyes.

If you want to see you have to pull the tape back.

It may hurt but the beauty is worth it.

Try it, pull the tape back a little.

Tell me Do you like what you see?

Do you want to see more?

its ok. It will hurt but the pain goes away.

Soon as the tape is off the beauty from Allah's light will overpowered the pain,

What are you waiting for?

(bismillah)

(salam)

In the name of Allah the most Compassionate the most Merciful

Blessing and peace of Allah, the most High, be upon our Master and Prophet Muhammad (saww) and His Chosen and Pure Progeny.

Growing up as a child in, I was not interested in religion. I would not even pray; and my parents would always force me to do so, but I would rebel against because I felt as though they were taking away my freedom rights from me, for Allah, the most High, says in His Glorious Book,

"There is no compulsion in religion." (Holy Quraan 2:256)

Anyway, my family are from the descendant of one of the Companions of the Holy Prophet Muhammad (saw), Abdur Rahman ibn Ouf. They are proud to have forefathers who were scholars whom people came to learn the religion from.

Anyway, I always thought that weather there were scholars or not, it would not do me any good and that I should not be forced to the religion.

We came to America from Kenya via the Red Cross whom we are thankful to. After we came, I was stoned as to what I saw. It seemed totally a new world. Even though, I was not religious, I was still ashamed for coming to the country. Everything was strange. I saw women walking almost wearing nothing. People using indecent language in here and there. I am in any way, trying to speak ill of this country, but I am just trying to express my feelings at what I had saw and how I reacted to them.

However, there were something I like about the country, such as their road for it was clean, their houses for it was beautiful and big, and more importantly I loved their "freedom" system a lot for I always felt that I have the right to do anything I wished and the consequence would be between my and my Lord.

Not two years passed by, I began to adopt to their ways of living. I would try to be one of them, try to walk like them, etc, but at the same time I, somewhat knew my limits.

Then three years ago, I started to feel something really strange in my heart. I was beginning to change. Every time I did something bad, I would feel bad and wished that I had never done it. At times, I would hear a voice from my heart every time I was thinking of doing some bad which supposedly suppose to make me look "cool". So I stopped doing what I used to do and came back to my Lord and repented.

One day I saw my uncle and his children praying differently. I was wondering why they were doing it. Not weeks passed by, when I became one of them. He told me that this is Shiasm and this is the right way to pray. So I began to follow him blindly. But that was not enough to convince my folks. So I began to do a research since, I am seeing totally a new way of praying, or should I say a new faith-new religion.

I was never really taught properly how to pray, so therefore, I was blindly following them without question for I never saw anyone who would pray differently and then at the same time tell me that this is right.

Weeks later, my uncle and other cousin began to follow their brother and uncle. Thinking that they have become Shias as well, I thought that my Uncle Hassan was right since he managed to convince people older than me. But somehow, I knew it was not right for me to follow blindly as my uncle always used to tell me.

So, one night I was searching on the internet something that has to do with Shiasm and Sunnism; perhaps a book that would talk about both sects comparatively. I found a book called "Shia encyclopedia" and I began to read it.

I began to read about the wudhu first and was pretty shocked when I found out that only the Shias act upon that verse. I asked my self, "is it possible my family are wrong?" But how can they be wrong for their forefathers were Sheikhs and people used to come to learn the religion from them? How can they be wrong after being blessed by being the descendants of Abdur Rahman ibn Ouf?

The thing that amazed me was that, as a child I was taught to wash my feet but in the Quraan, a different story was told. So I decided to compare the translation of Yusuf Ali, Pickthal, and Shakir. I also wanted to share it with you O dear reader and you be the judge of it.

[shakir 5:6] "O you who believe! when you rise up to prayer, wash your faces and your hands as far as the elbows, and wipe your heads and your feet to the ankles…"

[Yusuf Ali 5:6] "O ye who believe! when ye prepare for prayer, wash your faces, and your hands (and arms) to the elbows; Rub your heads (with water); and (wash) your feet to the ankles…"

[Pickthal 5:6] "O ye who believe! When ye rise up for prayer, wash you faces, and your hands up to the elbows, and lightly rub your heads and (wash) your feet up to the ankles…"

Then I went to on to read the rest of it. Off course I didn't finish the book at that night, but I was tired so I went to sleep.

Anyhow, this was only of the many things that surprised me. But what I fail to understand was that, if Allah, the most High, says in His Holy Book, which He did, that He tells Muhammad not to ask us (the Muslims) for any reward accept love for his (Muhammad)'s kin, then why only have the Shias follow and obeyed that verse? All Muslims, whether Sunni or Shia agree that if you anyone denies or pretends to ignore one verse of the Holy Quraan, he has denied Allah. So again, why have only the Shias loved and still do love the AhlulBayt of The Prophet (saww)?

Anyhow, the Hadith that trucked me the most was non other than the "Hadith of the Two Heavy Precious." I wonder at those Muslims, who try to destroy this Hadith and try their utmost try to hide it, but haven't they read the verse in Sura Al-Baqara, ayaa, 256? Indeed, the truth has become clear! The Prophet made it clear that He loved them so much and asked us the same, and that He left for us two precious things that if we hold tight to them, we shall never be misled. He instructed us to not be in front of them and not to teach them, for they know more than us; not to be behind them for then we will be misled; and always stay with them. That surely was a simple task!

The holy Prophet of Islam, Muhammad ibn Abdullah (saww) said in many hadiths that show the merits of Imam Ali (as). The last one and the most authentic is, when in Khadir Khum, He (the Prophet) delivered his last message, which still remains in the back of (all) Muslims and will always be remembered. After a very eloquent speech, the Prophet asked the people in a loud voice and heavenly tone, "O People! Who is your guide and guardian? Who is your leader and ruler? Am I not your leader and your guide? Am I not your guardian and ruler? They replied, "O Prophet of God, you are 6ur leader and ruler. You are our guide."

Then the Holy Prophet called for `Ali ibn Abi Talib and gave him a place next to himself. He took his hand and held it aloft, showing this to the people, and in his loudest voice and most glorious tones he commanded:

"Those whose guide and leader I am, after me, will be guided and led by `Ali O People! O Muslims! After me, `Ali is your guide and master".

Then he lifted his hands to the skies and said: `Lord! Be friendly with the friends of `Ali Be an enemy to the enemies of `Ali Lord! Help the helpers of `Ali, and humble those that wish evil of `Ali"

Subhanallah! What an honor! All we are told to do is follow him after the Rasul (saww), but instead we tend to follow his enemies. Yet, in another Hadith, the Prophet tell us, in a very accepted Hadith by the Shias and the Sunnis, that Ali is the Gate to the City of Knowledge. The Prophet said, "I am the city of Knowledge and Ali is its gate." Even if the Prophet said (only) this much about Amirul Mu'miniin, it is sufficient to follow the orders of the Prophet, that is to follow Ali because only He knows the true Islam, as the Hadith itself indicates. Again, our beloved Prophet (saww) in another Hadith said, "O Ali! You hold in relation to me the same position as Haroon held in relation to Moses, except that there shall be no prophet after me."

There are a lot more Ahadiths which I am not going to mention that only talks about the merits about the Great Imam Ali because this Hadith says it all, the Prophet (saww) said, "If all the oceans were ink, all the trees were pen, and all the jinn and humans came together to write down the merits of Ali, they would still not be done."

It is interesting how some people try their utmost to conceal all these hadiths, but do then not know that even their so called "khalifas" could not because they were forced to ask the Great Imam Ali for help. Here is one such incident, this is when Umar ibn Al-Khattab ordered a pregnant woman to be stoned to death and imam Ali's prevention. Here is how the story went taken from the book called "Peshawar Nights :

Imam Ahmad Bin Hanbal in his Musnad; Imamu'l-Haram, Ahmad Bin Abdullah Shafi'i in Dhakha'iru'l-Mawadda, chapter II, p.75, from Hasan Basri; Ibn Hajar in Fathu'l-Bari, vol.XII, P.101; Abu Dawud in Sunan, vol. II, p.227; Munadi in Faizu'l-Qadir, vol. IV, p. 257; Hakim Nishapuri in Mustadrak, vol.II, p.59; Qastalani in Irshadu's-Sari, vol.X, p. 9; Baihaqi in Sunan, vol.VIII, p. 164; Muhibu'd-din Tabari in Riyazu'n-Nazara, v.II, p.196; Khatib Khawarizmi in his Munaqab, p.48; Muhammad Ibn Talha Shafi'i in Matalibu's-Su'ul; Imamu'l-Haram in Dhakha'iru'l-'Uqba, p.80; Ibn Maja in his Sunan, v.II, p.227; Bukhari in his Sahih, chapter la yarjumu'l-majnun wa'l-majnuna and most of your other ulema have reported the following incident:

One day an insane woman was brought before Caliph Umar Bin Khattab. She had committed fornication and admitted her fault. Umar ordered her to be stoned. Amiru'l-Mu'minin was there. He said to Umar: "What are you doing? I have heard the Holy Prophet saying that three kinds of people are free from the hold of law: a sleeping man until he wakes; a lunatic until he recovers himself and regains consciousness; and the child until he comes of age." Hearing this, Umar acquitted the woman.

Ibnu's-Saman in his Kitabu'l-Muwafiqa has recorded many such cases. There are some accounts which record about 100 erroneous and fallacious findings of Umar.

Anyway, I am thank to my Lord, who has guided me to the right path! I thank All-Mighty Allah for opening my eyes and helping me to see the truth. I pray to Allah, the All-Powerful, to guide all my sincerely beloved brothers and sisters to be guided also to the right path. Amiiin Ya Rabb!!!

I leave you all in the care of Allah

Salaam !

Well, lets see.. first of all..i would like to admit, that i had almost no knowledge about Islam. I was sunni becoz my parents were.

Well.. to make a long story, no too long hehe :P ...i'll try and make it short.

I met this guy on the net 6 yrs ago. We almost never discussed about religion. But I was suspecting that he was shia. I dindt wanna drag our beliefs into this, becoz...well yeah..since i had no knowledge about Islam in that sense, to discuss things..i'd rather ignore the topic.

But one day (i think after 2-3 yrs).. i took the guts to say "hey ure shia??" (hehe) .. and he said yes..then he ..for the first time asked if im sunni.. I said yes too ... And stupid as i was.. (hey..remember, i was young and didnt know better)...i said to him " but shias are not muslims". But he did not get angry... instead..he started explaining to me the basic beliefs of a shia. Such as, same Quran, beleiveing in the same last prophet pbuh , etc etc. And then i told him "but hey..u beleive in Hazrat Ali more than Prophet Muhammad pbuh". This was my biggest misconception about shi'ism. Since, everyone that i knew...had told me that shia beleive in Hazrat Ali more than Prophet pbuh. He explained in a calm way that this is not true etc etc.

However..we left the topic there. After a couple of months.. he started asking me how much knowledge i had about sunnism. And obviously, i had to give him an embarrassing answer "very little". Then he started to tell me which hadith books that were authentic for sunnis... etc etc.He started teaching me about sunnism ..haha... But he was never negative..he wanted me to get a good picture about my beliefs. We discussed for several hours and the more he explained to me about shi'ism... the more i was getting convinced that "hey..this guy really is muslim" B) hehe

BUT, not until 2 yrs ago.... we got into details. He started to tell me about islams history. And whenever he wanted to prove something, he gave me references from sunni's authentic books and hadith. He always told me to look into this myself, either on the internet or if i had the books at home. He never took for granted that i should beleive him, just becoz if was him. He also told me to talk to a imaam in sweden, or email any sunni imaam... to get answer to sertain questions. He never tried to prove that his beliefs were true and mine wrong. All he wanted, was for me to think about sertain things. To do the research. Becoz..after all..nobody is here to become a shia or sunni or whatever.... we are here to become the true muslims. So, if I would have good resasons and answers, he would definately welcome it and propbably learn things too.

But, I never got the "good" answers, reasons, or explainations. Slowly...slowly, the more i learnt about Islam itself and its history..the more intrested i got. In the beginning, i was so confused...becoz, things that i used to beleive my whole life.. such as the khalifas, and their good merits, ..suddenly i started to doubt them.. And considering my lack of knowledge and commitment to Islam... i was still feeling really bad and confused. After all...even if i was a "bad" muslim... i still loved my religion and Allah, and i would always haev guilty feelings, for being such a "bad" muslim.

I started doing research, reading books especially. Sometimes, i would get into these "anti-shia" sites on the internet, and whenever i read something bad as in, "shia has a different Quran" etc etc..i would panic. I would be like "whaatttt... noo, this guy cant beleive in another Quran, if he does..that means hes a kaafir" And I would try and get answers from him.. but again, calmly he would explain that these rumours are false. Once in a while, i would get these shocks by reading anti-shia stuff... I would panic everytime hehehe... So, this could go on for months.... becoz, i was still confused abou things and i was still doing my research ...

Today, i feel that these "shocks", were good.... becoz i learnt alot from that.

Yeah...so last yr.. maybe 10-11 months ago... i felt like a true shia... the follower of ahlul bait (as) ... I felt i was on the right path. Even before...i was convinced that shi'ism is the right path, but i still wanted to feel 100% sure in my heart. I didnt want to declare something, just for the sake of it...

Yeah..so here i am.. it took me 6 yrs to get this far hehe.... Im slow na? But, all credit goes to this guy...who showed me the true Islam. May Allah grant him with happiness and success in life. And as for me..im trying each and everyday, to become a better muslim. My research is still there... i dont think, you can ever stop studying Islam. There's always something new to learn.

Since, no one in my family or friends know that Im a shia, i dont get the chance to explore the practial stuff. Such as the prayers, wudhu, etc etc. I will InshaAllah go to a local Mosque and learn all those things, including the "cultural things"..

Oh well..my story got pretty long anyway hehehe B) ... I hope u guys didnt get too bored.

Remember me in your prayers,

(salam)

alhamdulillah. thank you for posting your story sis. like I said before, feel free to search this site and post questions. there's a lot to learn like you said, and we're all still doing it too.

welcome.