Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله

Your conversion to Islam

Rate this topic

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 268
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Last week my 30+ year search for truth ended when I made the declaration of faith, first in private to Allah, then on the forum to inform others. At that point I opened a door to my future, one of man

Salaam uAlaikum Brothers and Sisters, I know this is a thread about conversions, but in order to understand my story fully I must give a brief description about my life and how I ended up converting

(bismillah) (bismillah) In the Name of Allah Most Gracious Most Merciful. Oh Allah I ask you to send peace and blessings to Mohammed and the progeny of Mohammed. I was around muslims since I wa

• Veteran Member

I have a friend who wants to convert to Islam. How can I assist him? and what steps does he need to take? Can anyone walk me through this please? I need good references and contacts.

(salam) please give him these online resources to learn more. It consists of books, articles, and online lectures.

Website to watch Islamic Lectures: Particularly Hassanain Rajabali or just search his name up on youtube

Books and Articles Regarding Every Single Subject Particularly Shia Islam's views

Want to ask a question? Looking for answers to particular questions regarding Islam? Click Here

http://www.sistani.org/index.php?lang=eng (Everything Islamic Law related. Rulings. This is a Shia Marja, Sistani's website)

Al-Hadi.us - Great website to see research done on Shia and Sunni Islam, and Christianity. If you are seeking to find the truth.

Edited by PureEthics
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

3alaykum as salaam,

My life is very boring too. I know some who still are on the party scene, I will not name names. I go to college and work a part time job. I only care about keeping myself straight with Allah.

Salaam alaykum!

If boring means straight with Allah (s.w.t.), I want to get as boring as possible, brother! :)

• Veteran Member

Boredom is rather subjective :). I understand that muslim activities don't match pretty well with how many people tend to entertain themselves, but being trained in social psychology may help you to be able to make any gathering entertaining and, more importantly, interesting and useful to get closer to Allah.

In my case, I come from a muslim family but wasn't raised as a muslim, like most of my siblings. Thus most of my life I have been an atheist, and I guess nobody at the time expected me to embrace Islam due to my lifestyle and ideas. I was very interested, though, in training my mental and spiritual part of my life, as well as my abilities. Before embracing Islam I used to meditate 2 hours a day during mornings and nights, as well as doing some introspection studying myself. Thus, when I started reading about Islam, I pretty much could understand the practices such as organized daily prayers, fasting, duas, etc. As the school of AhlulBayt was really interesting and new for me, I decided to give Islam an opportunity for some months. By the 6th month I was already extremely different though I couldn't notice immediately the benefits of Islam and its practices... Nowadays I thank God because truly it wasn't me who gave an opportunity to Islam, but God who gave someone like me an opportunity.

Boredom is rather subjective :). I understand that muslim activities don't match pretty well with how many people tend to entertain themselves, but being trained in social psychology may help you to be able to make any gathering entertaining and, more importantly, interesting and useful to get closer to Allah.

In my case, I come from a muslim family but wasn't raised as a muslim, like most of my siblings. Thus most of my life I have been an atheist, and I guess nobody at the time expected me to embrace Islam due to my lifestyle and ideas. I was very interested, though, in training my mental and spiritual part of my life, as well as my abilities. Before embracing Islam I used to meditate 2 hours a day during mornings and nights, as well as doing some introspection studying myself. Thus, when I started reading about Islam, I pretty much could understand the practices such as organized daily prayers, fasting, duas, etc. As the school of AhlulBayt was really interesting and new for me, I decided to give Islam an opportunity for some months. By the 6th month I was already extremely different though I couldn't notice immediately the benefits of Islam and its practices... Nowadays I thank God because truly it wasn't me who gave an opportunity to Islam, but God who gave someone like me an opportunity.

I wish I could have clicked "love" on this.  Mashallah what a great blessing!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • Basic Members

Assalamualaikum Wr. Wb.

I became interested in Shia Islam. Being born in non-muslim family in Indonesia (where majority muslim), I have little knowledge of it. After some reading, I became interested with Shia (AhlulBait Way), since the teaching offer more realistic point of view in Islam. I have no doubt about The Importance of Ahlul Bayt of Prophet,SAW to have faith in Islam. I should add here that I have interest in Islam through Sufi way. In this case, I found Shia have something in balance between Sharia as our living guide and Sufism aspect, which would answer the mystic sense of the teaching based on Al Quran ul-Kareem. Unlikely the more orthodox Sunni, where almost many traditions which not exist in Quran would be labelled as Haram, Bid'ah, Shirk, etc..

Unfortunately, the political situation made it uneasy to contact the local Ahlul Bait Community, as they became very discreet about everything . Hence I decide to learn my self and perhaps make my self conversion, or do a conversion in a local Sunni community, then start it in Ahlul Bait or travel somewhere else outside the country and perform conversion in the local Shia community there (I am not sure what do you think about this?). What I wonder if you can do a favor by answering some of these :

- What should I learn as basic knowledge about the Shia beside my common knowledge in Islam as live in muslim majority state, where Sunny-Shafi'i is the majority's ?  (I learned ; Five pillars of Islam, Pillars of faith, however I still learn about the 12 Imams and how the difference in Shia Schools, still reading the Nahjul Balagah as well, and finally I have memorized Surah Al-Fatiha and Surah Al-Ikhlas so far.. but need should find a teacher for more and even to teach me Shalat. However  I should be more careful in selecting teacher, as they are not so open mind to hear about "Ahmadis" or "Shia".

-I would like to know how is the law regarding hidding our faith from family and colleagues without compromise to perform anything Haram according to Islam? I am not talking about Taqiyya here, but the case in Indonesia religion is labelled in citizen's ID card. I don't think I will change it in the near future. However, I will definitely for another purpose which this coloumn would be essential like marriage or going Umrah/Hajj.

-After I learn enough is it possible to arrange a conversion online with a Shia Mullah/Uztadz/Imam, like I saw some sites which offer this service ? However I am not sure the fiqh about this, as I read conversion requires witnesses.

Thank you very much for your attention or answer to my questions.

Wasalamualaikum Wr. Wb.

• Veteran Member

Assalamualaikum Wr. Wb.

I became interested in Shia Islam. Being born in non-muslim family in Indonesia (where majority muslim), I have little knowledge of it. After some reading, I became interested with Shia (AhlulBait Way), since the teaching offer more realistic point of view in Islam. I have no doubt about The Importance of Ahlul Bayt of Prophet,SAW to have faith in Islam. I should add here that I have interest in Islam through Sufi way. In this case, I found Shia have something in balance between Sharia as our living guide and Sufism aspect, which would answer the mystic sense of the teaching based on Al Quran ul-Kareem. Unlikely the more orthodox Sunni, where almost many traditions which not exist in Quran would be labelled as Haram, Bid'ah, Shirk, etc..

Unfortunately, the political situation made it uneasy to contact the local Ahlul Bait Community, as they became very discreet about everything . Hence I decide to learn my self and perhaps make my self conversion, or do a conversion in a local Sunni community, then start it in Ahlul Bait or travel somewhere else outside the country and perform conversion in the local Shia community there (I am not sure what do you think about this?). What I wonder if you can do a favor by answering some of these :

- What should I learn as basic knowledge about the Shia beside my common knowledge in Islam as live in muslim majority state, where Sunny-Shafi'i is the majority's ?  (I learned ; Five pillars of Islam, Pillars of faith, however I still learn about the 12 Imams and how the difference in Shia Schools, still reading the Nahjul Balagah as well, and finally I have memorized Surah Al-Fatiha and Surah Al-Ikhlas so far.. but need should find a teacher for more and even to teach me Shalat. However  I should be more careful in selecting teacher, as they are not so open mind to hear about "Ahmadis" or "Shia".

-I would like to know how is the law regarding hidding our faith from family and colleagues without compromise to perform anything Haram according to Islam? I am not talking about Taqiyya here, but the case in Indonesia religion is labelled in citizen's ID card. I don't think I will change it in the near future. However, I will definitely for another purpose which this coloumn would be essential like marriage or going Umrah/Hajj.

-After I learn enough is it possible to arrange a conversion online with a Shia Mullah/Uztadz/Imam, like I saw some sites which offer this service ? However I am not sure the fiqh about this, as I read conversion requires witnesses.

Wasalamualaikum Wr. Wb.

Your witness is Allah!

Congrats and welcome

• Veteran Member

Assalamualaikum Wr. Wb.

Wasalamualaikum Wr. Wb.

Salaam, brother/sister. MashAllah, welcome to the school of the ahlulbayt A.S. I honestly do not know what to tell you, reason being, I have never been in your situation. What I can tell you, is that if your life may be in danger, I suggest hiding that you are a Shia for now. Practice your faith in private, if you must. To become a Shia is very simple, you must accept the imamate of the 12 imams by your heart, and if you have not done so, recite the Shahada. MashAllah, keep trying to memorize the short surahs, because you need to recite them in your prayer. Also little by little, take your time to understand the religion, and learn the rituals and practices. There are Islamic Laws to abide by. You can check out these laws here: http://sistani.org To learn about Shia Islam, check out http://Al-Islam.org I suggest watching youtube lectures when you have time as well

Website to watch Islamic Lectures: Particularly Hassanain Rajabali or just search his name up on youtube. You learn about all sorts of topics. To learn how to pray the Shia way, since Shias have different adthan, and prayer time, and how to pray you can look at here.:

For Prayer Times, you must check with your local Shia Mosque near you. Or you can download an addon if you have firefox http://praytimes.org/ you put in your location and choose the Shia Ithna Ashari, Leva Research Institute, Qum method of calculating the time.

We still have 5 daily prayers of which we can combine the Zuhr+Asr Prayers, meaning praying Asr right after Zuhr prayer time, and same with praying Isha after Magrib prayer time.

Question: Why do Shias combine Zuhr and Asr prayers? Is it permissible?

Answer: It is permissible to combine Zuhr and Asr prayers and to perform them separately as it is permissible in both manners. It is narrated that the Holy Prophet of Islam (pbuh) offered his prayers in both combined as well separate manners. He combined his prayers without being in an urgent situation like war or storm.

We Shias pray on something called a Turbah (Earthly material). We Cannot put our foreheads on a prayer rug.

Question: Why do Shias use Turbah (Sajdagah) when doing Sajda?

Answer: Sajdah should be performed on earth, and on those things which are not edible nor worn, and on things which grow from earth (e.g. wood and leaves of trees). It is not permissible to perform Sajdah on things which are used as food or dress (e.g. wheat, barley and cotton etc.), or on things which are not considered to be parts of the earth (e.g. gold, silver, etc.). And in the situation of helplessness, asphalt and tar will have preference over other non-allowable things. Sajdah should not be performed on the vine leaves, when they are delicate and hence edible. Otherwise, there is no objection. It is in order to perform Sajdah on things which grow from the earth, and serve as fodder for animals (e.g. grass, hay etc.). It is in order to perform Sajdah on flowers which are not edible, and also on medicinal herbs which grow from the earth. Performing Sajdah on a grass which is eaten in some parts of the world, but not in the rest, but it is classified as edible.

Our Wuthdu is different, we do not wash our feet for example, we wipe.

Ablution done before one prays (Wudthu):

242. In Wudhu, it is obligatory to wash the face and hands, and to wipe the front portion of the head and the upper part of two feet.

243. The length of the face should be washed from the upper part of the forehead, where hair grow, up to the farthest end of the chin, and its breadth should be washed to the part covered between the thumb and the middle finger. If even a small part of this area is left out, Wudhu will be void. Thus, in order to ensure that the prescribed part has been fully washed, one should also wash a bit of the adjacent parts.

329. Wudhu becomes void on account of the following seven things:

Passing of urine. Excretion. Passing wind from the rear. A sleep, deep enough to restrict sight and hearing. However, if the eyes do not see anything, but the ears can hear, Wudhu does not become void. Things on account of which a person loses his sensibility, like insanity, intoxication or unconsciousness. Istihaza which will be dealt with later. Janabat, and, as a recommended precaution, every state which requires Ghusl.

There are much more rules you should look at:

http://www.sistani.o...h/book/48/2153/

Here is an example done.

925. It is Mustahab (HIGHLY recommended) for man and woman to say Adhan and Iqamah before offering daily obligatory prayers, but for other Mustahab or obligatory prayers, they are not prescribed. But before prayers of Eid ul Fitr and Eid ul Adha, it is Mustahab to say "As-Salah" three times, provided that the prayers are going to be offered in congregation.

Adthan (Call for Prayer)

927. Adhan consists of the following 18 sentences:

Allahu Akbar - four times

(Allah is greater than any description)

Ash hadu an la ilaha illal lah - two times

(I testify that there is no god but Allah)

Ash hadu anna Muhammadan Rasu lul lah - two times

(I testify that Muhammad is Allah's Messenger)

Hayya'alas Salah - two times

(Hasten to prayers)

Hayya'alal Falah - two times

(Hasten to deliverance)

Hayya'ala Khayril 'Amal - two times

(Hasten to the best act)

Allahu Akbar - two times

La ilaha illal lah - two times

(There is no god but Allah)

Here is an beautiful recitation of the Shia adthan:

Iqamah (Done after Athan. Similar to Athan but a few changes):

As regard to Iqamah, it consists of 17 sentences. In Iqamah, Allahu Akbar is reduced in the beginning to twice, and at the end, La ilaha illal lah to once, and after Hayya 'ala Khayril 'Amal, Qadqa matis Salah (i.e. the prayers has certainly been established) must be added two times.

928. Ash hadu anna Amiral Mu'minina 'Aliyyan Waliyyullah ( I testify that the Commander of the faithful, Imam Ali (as) is the vicegerent of Allah) is not a part of either Adhan or Iqamah. But it is preferable that it is pronounced after Ash hadu anna Muhammadan Rasulul lah with the niyyat of Qurbat.

929. There should not be an unusual interval between the sentences of Adhan or Iqamah, and if an unusual gap is allowed between them, the Adhan or Iqamah will have to be repeated.

http://www.sistani.o...h/book/48/2216/

http://www.duas.org/calltoprayer.htm

For prayer, we do not put our hands to our chest, we keep them to our sides, nor do we say "ameen" after surah fatiha.

*Women have to cover their entire body including hair, but excluding the face, hands - to the wrists, and feet - to the ankles during prayer. They should do this even when they are alone.

* Are there any other requirements for the recitation?

- Yes, you must observe the correct pronunciation of the Arabic words, both individually and within the context of other words; when you stop on a word, you must always pronounce it with an ending tone (sukoon), i.e. you should ignore the accent on the last letter, be it fatha, kasrah, dhamma, etc. Conversely, you must pronounce the words with their full harakat (diacritical marks, such as shaddah, maddah, tanween, hamzatul wasl or hamzatul qat’, appearing above the characters or below them that denote and aid the proper pronunciation of the words, both independently and in relation to other words in the sentence), usually found in the print of the Holy Qur’an.

In a word, you should master the rules of correct recitation, in the same way, you are required to do when reciting the verses of the Holy Qur’an, such as idgham (amalgamation or doubling of certain letters - after noon sakinah), qalqalah (resonating the sound of such letters as, qaf, taa’, baa’, jeem, daal, especially when you are stopping on them). Some of these can be found at the end of the words of (Ahad, Assamad, Yelid, Youled in Chapter of al-Ikhlas).

Basically, try your utmost best to get the pronunciation down.

http://www.sistani.o...h/book/49/2406/

Guide to Praying the Shia way

http://iecoc.org/wp-...-the-Prayer.pdf

If you have any questions feel free to ask, or if you need specific help. I suggest practicing till you memorize it. inshAllah Allah will protect and guide you. No worries, just be patient, be safe most importantly, and always pray to Allah for help.

(wasalam)

Edited by Ethics
  • 4 weeks later...
  • Basic Members

Assalamulaikum, 

I do apologize for not responding from my last discussion for long time. And thank you for sharing your answer and oppinion with me (yeah I have read them all), most thank for those who have shared guidance to perform Shalat. However since I am quite newbie to the group and the system, I suddenly read many of you have responded to my post. I thought I would get some kind of notification, but it was not like this

Finally I have converted to Islam, although I made my first Shahadah in a Sunni Mosque, but I still keep reading about The Ahlul Bayt, and have communicate with one of the trustable web in my country. However, it is not easy to join a community of Shia here, so the only way is to communicate by e-mail with one Ahlul Bayt Center in another city. In few days I can perform my Shalah alone, but I still should visit Mosque almost every nights to be able to read and learn more about Al-Qur'an. Since this is my beggining to learn about Islam, which I think what I learn "Islam is Islam", even the Imaam in the mosque told me to focus on my Shalah and reading Quran rather than to learn more about fiqh and tasawuf (even from many Sunni's schools) but it would lead me to astray as those are not pillars, which would be fundamental for begginer in Islam.

I will be more often to sharing and to try to answer you one by one as soon as possible. 

Salam Brother,

May you be always be under the mercy of Allah .

The brothers have given you great links regarding method of praying , wudhu , Azan etc.

I would like to share the reason and wisdom behind the words and actions of Salat with you , so you actually realize why you pray the way you are supposed to pray, Zikr etc:

These are amazing brief audio files which you will absolutely love, on the most important topics:

Azan- Salat

Zikr

Sincerity in praying

Wudhu

Etiquette of praying

https://www.dropbox....-namaz.mp3?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/7n3kpbyjznibsns/zikr.mp3?dl=0

https://www.dropbox....raying.mp3?dl=0

https://www.dropbox....-wudhu.mp3?dl=0

https://www.dropbox....prayer.mp3?dl=0

Now adays with the internet your home and your brain used properly can be your masjid :)

Enjoy the links !

Wasalam

Edited by tendersoul
  • Basic Members

Salaam, brother/sister. MashAllah, welcome to the school of the ahlulbayt A.S. I honestly do not know what to tell you, reason being, I have never been in your situation. What I can tell you, is that if your life may be in danger, I suggest hiding that you are a Shia for now. Practice your faith in private, if you must. To become a Shia is very simple, you must accept the imamate of the 12 imams by your heart, and if you have not done so, recite the Shahada. MashAllah, keep trying to memorize the short surahs, because you need to recite them in your prayer. Also little by little, take your time to understand the religion, and learn the rituals and practices. There are Islamic Laws to abide by. You can check out these laws here: http://sistani.org To learn about Shia Islam, check out http://Al-Islam.org I suggest watching youtube lectures when you have time as well

Website to watch Islamic Lectures: Particularly Hassanain Rajabali or just search his name up on youtube. You learn about all sorts of topics. To learn how to pray the Shia way, since Shias have different adthan, and prayer time, and how to pray you can look at here.:

For Prayer Times, you must check with your local Shia Mosque near you. Or you can download an addon if you have firefox http://praytimes.org/ you put in your location and choose the Shia Ithna Ashari, Leva Research Institute, Qum method of calculating the time.

We still have 5 daily prayers of which we can combine the Zuhr+Asr Prayers, meaning praying Asr right after Zuhr prayer time, and same with praying Isha after Magrib prayer time.

Question: Why do Shias combine Zuhr and Asr prayers? Is it permissible?

Answer: It is permissible to combine Zuhr and Asr prayers and to perform them separately as it is permissible in both manners. It is narrated that the Holy Prophet of Islam (pbuh) offered his prayers in both combined as well separate manners. He combined his prayers without being in an urgent situation like war or storm.

We Shias pray on something called a Turbah (Earthly material). We Cannot put our foreheads on a prayer rug.

Question: Why do Shias use Turbah (Sajdagah) when doing Sajda?

Answer: Sajdah should be performed on earth, and on those things which are not edible nor worn, and on things which grow from earth (e.g. wood and leaves of trees). It is not permissible to perform Sajdah on things which are used as food or dress (e.g. wheat, barley and cotton etc.), or on things which are not considered to be parts of the earth (e.g. gold, silver, etc.). And in the situation of helplessness, asphalt and tar will have preference over other non-allowable things. Sajdah should not be performed on the vine leaves, when they are delicate and hence edible. Otherwise, there is no objection. It is in order to perform Sajdah on things which grow from the earth, and serve as fodder for animals (e.g. grass, hay etc.). It is in order to perform Sajdah on flowers which are not edible, and also on medicinal herbs which grow from the earth. Performing Sajdah on a grass which is eaten in some parts of the world, but not in the rest, but it is classified as edible.

Our Wuthdu is different, we do not wash our feet for example, we wipe.

Ablution done before one prays (Wudthu):

242. In Wudhu, it is obligatory to wash the face and hands, and to wipe the front portion of the head and the upper part of two feet.

243. The length of the face should be washed from the upper part of the forehead, where hair grow, up to the farthest end of the chin, and its breadth should be washed to the part covered between the thumb and the middle finger. If even a small part of this area is left out, Wudhu will be void. Thus, in order to ensure that the prescribed part has been fully washed, one should also wash a bit of the adjacent parts.

329. Wudhu becomes void on account of the following seven things:

Passing of urine. Excretion. Passing wind from the rear. A sleep, deep enough to restrict sight and hearing. However, if the eyes do not see anything, but the ears can hear, Wudhu does not become void. Things on account of which a person loses his sensibility, like insanity, intoxication or unconsciousness. Istihaza which will be dealt with later. Janabat, and, as a recommended precaution, every state which requires Ghusl.

There are much more rules you should look at:

http://www.sistani.o...h/book/48/2153/

Here is an example done.

925. It is Mustahab (HIGHLY recommended) for man and woman to say Adhan and Iqamah before offering daily obligatory prayers, but for other Mustahab or obligatory prayers, they are not prescribed. But before prayers of Eid ul Fitr and Eid ul Adha, it is Mustahab to say "As-Salah" three times, provided that the prayers are going to be offered in congregation.

Adthan (Call for Prayer)

927. Adhan consists of the following 18 sentences:

Allahu Akbar - four times

Ash hadu an la ilaha illal lah - two times

(I testify that there is no god but Allah)

Ash hadu anna Muhammadan Rasu lul lah - two times

(I testify that Muhammad is Allah's Messenger)

Hayya'alas Salah - two times

(Hasten to prayers)

Hayya'alal Falah - two times

(Hasten to deliverance)

Hayya'ala Khayril 'Amal - two times

(Hasten to the best act)

Allahu Akbar - two times

La ilaha illal lah - two times

(There is no god but Allah)

Here is an beautiful recitation of the Shia adthan:

Iqamah (Done after Athan. Similar to Athan but a few changes):

As regard to Iqamah, it consists of 17 sentences. In Iqamah, Allahu Akbar is reduced in the beginning to twice, and at the end, La ilaha illal lah to once, and after Hayya 'ala Khayril 'Amal, Qadqa matis Salah (i.e. the prayers has certainly been established) must be added two times.

928. Ash hadu anna Amiral Mu'minina 'Aliyyan Waliyyullah ( I testify that the Commander of the faithful, Imam Ali (as) is the vicegerent of Allah) is not a part of either Adhan or Iqamah. But it is preferable that it is pronounced after Ash hadu anna Muhammadan Rasulul lah with the niyyat of Qurbat.

929. There should not be an unusual interval between the sentences of Adhan or Iqamah, and if an unusual gap is allowed between them, the Adhan or Iqamah will have to be repeated.

http://www.sistani.o...h/book/48/2216/

http://www.duas.org/calltoprayer.htm

For prayer, we do not put our hands to our chest, we keep them to our sides, nor do we say "ameen" after surah fatiha.

*Women have to cover their entire body including hair, but excluding the face, hands - to the wrists, and feet - to the ankles during prayer. They should do this even when they are alone.

* Are there any other requirements for the recitation?

- Yes, you must observe the correct pronunciation of the Arabic words, both individually and within the context of other words; when you stop on a word, you must always pronounce it with an ending tone (sukoon), i.e. you should ignore the accent on the last letter, be it fatha, kasrah, dhamma, etc. Conversely, you must pronounce the words with their full harakat (diacritical marks, such as shaddah, maddah, tanween, hamzatul wasl or hamzatul qat’, appearing above the characters or below them that denote and aid the proper pronunciation of the words, both independently and in relation to other words in the sentence), usually found in the print of the Holy Qur’an.

In a word, you should master the rules of correct recitation, in the same way, you are required to do when reciting the verses of the Holy Qur’an, such as idgham (amalgamation or doubling of certain letters - after noon sakinah), qalqalah (resonating the sound of such letters as, qaf, taa’, baa’, jeem, daal, especially when you are stopping on them). Some of these can be found at the end of the words of (Ahad, Assamad, Yelid, Youled in Chapter of al-Ikhlas).

Basically, try your utmost best to get the pronunciation down.

http://www.sistani.o...h/book/49/2406/

Guide to Praying the Shia way

http://iecoc.org/wp-...-the-Prayer.pdf

If you have any questions feel free to ask, or if you need specific help. I suggest practicing till you memorize it. inshAllah Allah will protect and guide you. No worries, just be patient, be safe most importantly, and always pray to Allah for help.

(wasalam)

Thank you very much for long sharing long brief with me... I will keep hiding practicing my faith. I heard about Taqqiya, but again, I should keep learn the laws of practicing Taqqiya in the daily life. But when I practice Salah my self, I guess, this is not a problem. If you live in my country, if you say you are muslim, that means you are following what the common muslims do (which mean Mazhab Syafi'i).  

Alhamdulillah, Wudu and Salah was not difficult for me to perform in few weeks. I could memorize 3 Surahs (Surah Al-Fateeha, Surah Tawheed, and Surah Al-Falaq) although I should learn from Sunni's perspective first. However I should find a group to correct my Arabic pronounciation, since this is not my native language that's why I joined the local group mosque. Hence since there is no Shia Mosque in my town, I will start lesson to read Qur'an start from next month. Talking about Salah, I found quite interesting source to read what nullify our Wudu : 

(a) Common between man and women:

1. Urine (and semen).

2. Stool.

3. Farting.

(b) In women only:

4. Menstruation.

5. Irregular bleeding.

6. Post-natal bleeding.

ii. The Mental Disability Factors:

7. Sound sleep (in which one cannot hear anything).

8. Drunkenness (from alcohol or drugs, etc.).

9. Unconsciousness.

10. Insanity.

Source : http://www.al-islam.org/ritual-and-spiritual-purity-sayyid-muhammad-rizvi/ii-wudu

But now I started to learn what you shared with me. I absolutely agree with what you told me about combining the Prayer eg: Dzuhur+Ashr and Maghrib+Isha. It is not that I try to make justification for myself, but this is what I believe. I should find Turbah for myself. 

Salam Brother,

May you be always be under the mercy of Allah .

The brothers have given you great links regarding method of praying , wudhu , Azan etc.

I would like to share the reason and wisdom behind the words and actions of Salat with you , so you actually realize why you pray the way you are supposed to pray, Zikr etc:

These are amazing brief audio files which you will absolutely love, on the most important topics:

Azan- Salat

Zikr

Sincerity in praying

Wudhu

Etiquette of praying

https://www.dropbox....-namaz.mp3?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/7n3kpbyjznibsns/zikr.mp3?dl=0

https://www.dropbox....raying.mp3?dl=0

https://www.dropbox....-wudhu.mp3?dl=0

https://www.dropbox....prayer.mp3?dl=0

Now adays with the internet your home and your brain used properly can be your masjid :)

Enjoy the links !

Wasalam

Salam Brother, 

More than just thanks for sharing with me. I start to keep learning and learning. Both of you guys have shared the amazing audio files to learn for me. I have downloaded the Android Apps as well.  I will try my best to learn more and more with the internet  :). However to pronounce the Arabic and Qur'an, I think we really need to find the teacher. Even if we have disagreement about their interpretation, but they can be good teacher on how to read it.,

Salam Brother,

The name of the Azan audio file link has been changed just incase you cannot access it . Below is the renewed link , also a brief talk about pronounciation, so you can take it a step at a time.

Wisdom of Azan and Salat:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/l8ly08gw0dmsve9/wisdom%20behind%20azan-salat.mp3?dl=0

Pronunciation

https://www.dropbox.com/s/sdf566crj27t4zb/pronounciation-deep%20thought%20in%20quran.mp3?dl=0

• 4 weeks later...
  • Veteran Member

Hello All,

This is my first post.

I am a recent "convert" to Islam. I was raised mostly as a Southern Baptist in a Catholic neighborhood. I have been on the path of Islam for a long time, although I did not know it. Over time I have put away more and more "distractions". In Islam, we call this "straightening the path".

I have been in the process of straightening this path that I am on for a long, long time and have found that Shi'a Islam is the best guide for keeping me on the straight path.

I hope to continue on this straight path and, Insha'Allah, I will.

:)

Wow mashAllah! I pray that inshAllah Allah helps you on this blessed journey. I pray for your protection and struggle. Keep us in your prayers.

• Advanced Member

Wow mashAllah! I pray that inshAllah Allah helps you on this blessed journey. I pray for your protection and struggle. Keep us in your prayers.

Thanks! We could all use some prayers! :)

I have never understood the concept of "forgiveness" until I began to study Islam and read the Qur'an. Compassiion, mercy and forgiveness are so intimately intertwined in Islam. Allah (SWT) forgives us and we ask for forgiveness each and every day, but Allah (SWT) also has the compassion necessary to show us the mercy that allows us to forgive ourselves as well. And it is through that compassion and mercy that we are able to be good to oursevles in order to be better human beings toward others. This is my rudimentary understanding of these concepts in Islam and how they interact with each other.

Another concept that I am learning more about is "punishment". This term is in many places throughout the Qur'an and I can see, in a way, what is meant by the use of the English word "punishment". My issue with that term is that it is my belief that Allah (SWT) does not punish, but, through the ultimate grace, compassion and mercy, gives us opportunites to decide whether or not to continue on the straight path. Instead of understanding the term "punishment" as something that is truly punitive, I understand it as letting us know what the consequences are for our behaviors and to provide the opportunity to make a decision on which we way to proceed.

I forget in which Sura I read this, but Allah (SWT) says to us something like, "I show you the path and you still go the other way?" I love that passage so much.

Happy Sunday everyone!

• Moderators

Salam, 

Punishment in the next life is only for those who persist in evil after they know it to be evil. In other words, Allah(s.w.a) only punishes after knowledge and many,many chances are given for someone to change their behaviour. If after all that, they still persist, then they are actually choosing to be punished. And Allah(s.w.a) is not actually punishing, i.e. doing something to someone that is horrible, He(s.w.a) is merely ceasing to shield the person from the natural consequences of their actions. 

Evil actions have a real objective existence, some of which can be seen, and some of which are unseen (in this world). Good actions also have a real objective existence. 

When someone repents and turns away from evil, Then Allah(s.w.a) cancels the effects of their previous bad actions, otherwise these bad actions would continue to punish the person. If the person persists in evil and does not repent, then Allah(s.w.a) does not cancel the bad effects of these actions and these bad effects come back to the person who committed the act. That is merely the natural consequence of the actions, and not something that Allah(s.w.a) did. 

Edited by Abu Hadi
  • Advanced Member

Thank you, Brother.

That was beautifully said.

The real "punishment" part comes in the afterlife. The "punishment" during this life time comes in the form of the negative consequences resulting from our behaviors. "Ceasing to shield" is an excellent way of thinking about it.

We have a saying here in The States...."some people never learn". This makes me wonder whether a person's struggles in life carry over from a previous life of hardship or regression or bad behavior.

------

The term "Insha'Allah" is another one that unearths its truth day by day. Sometimes I see it translated as "God willing" and sometimes I see it translated as "IF God wills". I am having trouble reconciling this. If God wills, then He wills. there is no "if". God either wills or He does not. I guess the "if"part comes in when we simply do not know what God wills, which is all the time. ;)

For a Westerner, like me, we have the saying "Let go and let God". This is similar to Insha'Allah. It may be different words, but it serves a similar function. "God willing" implies that there is a sort of pre-destiny or fate that is largely out of our control. Even when we make poor choices and suffer the consequences, it could still be argued that God willed that mistake.

"Let go and let God" is also a Western Christian's way of saying that much of life's happenings are out of our hands. So, instead of trying to assert our will, we are trained to let go and allow God to guide us. Very similar to asking Allah swa for His guidance on the clear path.

In North America we hold dear the idea of self-determination and the independent spirit and being self-sufficient. These were necessary skills and traits for suriving the settling of this massive land, but it is also causing massive disruption in our family structures.

Oh Brother! I could go on and on about this, but it is getting late and I have to go to work in the morning.

I am really enjoying this clear path and learning what it takes to remain on this path under the guidance The Holy Prophet pbuh and his Divinely Appointed Successor. I take all of this quite seriously, but I am also having a lot of fun!!

Salam!

• 3 weeks later...
  • Moderators

Thank you, Brother.

That was beautifully said.

The real "punishment" part comes in the afterlife. The "punishment" during this life time comes in the form of the negative consequences resulting from our behaviors. "Ceasing to shield" is an excellent way of thinking about it.

We have a saying here in The States...."some people never learn". This makes me wonder whether a person's struggles in life carry over from a previous life of hardship or regression or bad behavior.

------

The term "Insha'Allah" is another one that unearths its truth day by day. Sometimes I see it translated as "God willing" and sometimes I see it translated as "IF God wills". I am having trouble reconciling this. If God wills, then He wills. there is no "if". God either wills or He does not. I guess the "if"part comes in when we simply do not know what God wills, which is all the time. ;)

For a Westerner, like me, we have the saying "Let go and let God". This is similar to Insha'Allah. It may be different words, but it serves a similar function. "God willing" implies that there is a sort of pre-destiny or fate that is largely out of our control. Even when we make poor choices and suffer the consequences, it could still be argued that God willed that mistake.

"Let go and let God" is also a Western Christian's way of saying that much of life's happenings are out of our hands. So, instead of trying to assert our will, we are trained to let go and allow God to guide us. Very similar to asking Allah swa for His guidance on the clear path.

In North America we hold dear the idea of self-determination and the independent spirit and being self-sufficient. These were necessary skills and traits for suriving the settling of this massive land, but it is also causing massive disruption in our family structures.

Oh Brother! I could go on and on about this, but it is getting late and I have to go to work in the morning.

I am really enjoying this clear path and learning what it takes to remain on this path under the guidance The Holy Prophet pbuh and his Divinely Appointed Successor. I take all of this quite seriously, but I am also having a lot of fun!!

Salam!

This was hard for me to understand at first also. 'God willing' or 'If God wills'. 

In Islam, it is possible for God(s.w.a) to want something, and yet not to will it. If he wills it, then it will happen, but if he wants something, then wills that we have a choice in the matter, then we have a choice in the matter. For example, God(s.w.a) wants everyone to pray, but not everyone does. Because God gave us free will in this thing, whether to pray or not to pray. So some people do and some people don't. Some get the reward from God for praying, and some don't. 

God has absolute power over everything, but some of his wants superceed some others. For example because he wants us to have free will, he realizes that some of the things he wants are not going to happen, i.e. that everyone prays. This is attached to a long discussion about 'Qadr' and 'Qadaa', free will and predestination. But I won't get into that. 

From a practical, not a grammatical, perspective, 'God willing' and 'If God wills' mean approximately the same thing. It means that I intend to do something, and if it is Gods(s.w.a) will that it will happen, then it will happen. If it is not God's will, then it will not happen. Both are a reminder and an acknowledgement that Gods(s.w.a) will and God's(s.w.a) power is Greater than mine. 

• Advanced Member

This was hard for me to understand at first also. 'God willing' or 'If God wills'. 

In Islam, it is possible for God(s.w.a) to want something, and yet not to will it. If he wills it, then it will happen, but if he wants something, then wills that we have a choice in the matter, then we have a choice in the matter. For example, God(s.w.a) wants everyone to pray, but not everyone does. Because God gave us free will in this thing, whether to pray or not to pray. So some people do and some people don't. Some get the reward from God for praying, and some don't. 

God has absolute power over everything, but some of his wants superceed some others. For example because he wants us to have free will, he realizes that some of the things he wants are not going to happen, i.e. that everyone prays. This is attached to a long discussion about 'Qadr' and 'Qadaa', free will and predestination. But I won't get into that. 

From a practical, not a grammatical, perspective, 'God willing' and 'If God wills' mean approximately the same thing. It means that I intend to do something, and if it is Gods(s.w.a) will that it will happen, then it will happen. If it is not God's will, then it will not happen. Both are a reminder and an acknowledgement that Gods(s.w.a) will and God's(s.w.a) power is Greater than mine. 

Once He wills it and we have a choice in the matter, then we reach that choice point in the algortithm of life. So, if I understand correctly, Allah swa provides the path and THEN we get to choose. It makes sense.

---------

Something that I have been reading about lately is the Islamic perspective on what happens to the soul when we die. Shi'a funeral rites and customs have been high on my reading list lately. There are steps that must be observed and if anyone has some input regarding this, then that would be really appreciated.

The Day of Judgment is reckoning day. We will all remain at our gravesite, but the amount of space we will have in the hereafter will depend on how adherent to Islam we were during this life.

Am I basically correct on this?

Edited by Convertible
  • Moderators

The situation in the grave will one of three states

1) It will be a 'garden' from the gardens of Paradise. Meaning it will not be Paradise, the eternal Paradise, because it will have an ending (i.e. The Day of Judgement) but it will be very pleasant.

2) It will be a fire from the Fires of Hell. No need for more detail about that. 

3) It will simply be a sleep. It will be a state of unconsciousness, similar to when you are asleep in this world. 

The first state is for the good people, i.e the ones who died after having had all their sins forgiven by Allah(s.w.a). 

The second state is for the bad people. The ones who were truly and thoroughly bad, the extreme cases. 

The third state is for the ones who are neither really good or really bad. Their final outcome is being suspended till the Day of Judgement. 

That is a very simplified version, and there are many lectures on this subject which I would recommend. 

• Advanced Member (With Brothers Forum Membership)

Me i have a particular story i think.

Im born in France to an iranian father and french mother. My father is "non practicing shia muslim" and my mother a "non practicing catholic".

My parents never really learn me the basic teachings of these two religions but only the very basic things (jésus son of god , shia believes Ali (as) is the successor etc).

During a lot of years i was "religious without religion" because i was not christian or muslim because my parents dont raised me in these specifics religions maybe because they wanted  i chose myself later.

During a lot of time i was attracted to christian catholicism because its the religion of my family mother side , because its "more french" and also because at this time i had bad picture of islam because of western propagande and islamist terrorism.

So i bought a bible , i read a big part of the old testament (not all) and i read new testament. That was interrested but... i dont know there were good things and good morals but there were also many thing i found contradict the logic or stupid....

Like the "Trinity" or the fact that God must be "crucified for our sins", the contradictions in the different gospels... And the fact that many different editions of the bibles are very different among themselves etc...

After i tried to read quran... but i will be honest the first time i tried to read that i didnt really like that. I found that strange , not very good traduction and at this time i found that some sura or verses were violent (but now i know there are always a context or a specific interpretation).

So i tried to be atheist. I thought i was like that during approximately one year. But day by day i understood i must believe in God.

I saw that in France islam is rising very fast (approximately between 10 and 15% of french population now) , and i understood that this religion became very powerful and attractive , and i was more interrsted about the religion of my father family. So i tried again to read the quran. And... hamdoulilah i was impressive , that was a very powerful text , and i read the entire book in few days ( i found the bible a little boring to read lol).

And at this time there were many videos on internet about religion comparison between islam and christianity , and with many researches i found islam more logical and more attractive than christianity so i chose to become again muslim hamdoulilah !!

But at this time i didnt know very well the différences between sunni and shia. So i said i was "just muslim".

Later i saw many anti shiites video on the internet but that was the religion of my father so i tried to do more researches again about shia islam.

Finally now im shia muslim :) .

This is in very short part my story :D .

• 3 weeks later...
  • Advanced Member

@alidu78:

"Religious without religion" is a term that I have heard before. My Jordanian and Syrian-American friends have described the phenomena as being "Muslims without Islam". It had a lot to do with the secularization process in Jordan and Syria over decades and decades (centuries?). Over time, Jordanians and Syrians began to feel like they were just Muslims going through the motions. This is what my friends shared with me about the struggle between trying to be religious in a highly-pressurized secular society.

Growing up in a Christian culture, I understand the Bible. And what I came to understand is that, while most of the messaging is good, it is incomplete and has been over-translated to the point of oblivion of the original message. Also, the claim that Jesus' (pbuh) words were recorded by the Disciples in the Gospels of the New Testament is debateable.

With this said, when I first began to read the Holy Qur'an, I would laugh because it sounded so much like stories we heard in Sunday School. The stories and themes and morals presented were so similar to the Bible. Islam was a natural fit for me because it is an update of the Word of God. The Qur'an is a much-needed refreshening of the Message that has maintained the core of its integrity; the Arabic language. I don't know of anyone who has memorized the Christian Bible, but there are milliions of people who know the Qur'an forward and backward. So vibrant and poetic. It has rhythm.

Shi'a Islam was even more of a natural fit because of its intellectual integrity regarding the Hadith. I find Shi'a Islam to be far more progressive and adaptable than Sunni. I find Shi'a to be more adherent to the Qur'an itself, but also more flexible in culture than the Sunnis. But that is a debate for a different thread.

How it relates to my conversion is that I had a negative impression of Islam growing up. When I was a kid, we would watch the Revolution in Iran on our television and the journalist would say Shi'a, Shi'ite, Shi'a Shi'ite....over and over, with riots in the streets.

And then the hostage situation in Iran and more blaming of and rage against Shi'ites. And then Hezbollah and the Beirut barracks......on and on.

But I still found myself standing on the corner as an 11-year old shouting "Peace in the Middle East!!!" with a peace sign high in the air. The point is that I never really hated Islam at all. I was into punk rock music, which sang about world events and Western hegemony and stuff like that. I knew of the struggles for power and self-rule going on around the Middle East and the major impact that Great Britain, United States and France have had on the region. Luckily, I never hated Islam or had any real irrational fear about it. I was more curious than anything. My conversion was very natural and not a struggle.

Around this time my Mother and oldest brother converted to Baha'i. I began to read about the Baha'i faith and more about Iran and Shi'a Islam in general. I never fully took on the Baha'i faith, but I have read the Book of Certitude and a few other texts and it is good, but is really an affirmation of Islam and The Qur'an.

My conversion was all about guidance as I move into the second half of my life. I have always been spiritual, but not well-guided. Shi'a Islam is best suited to guide me on the path that I want and need to be on.

• 1 month later...