Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله

Why did God create us?

Rate this topic

• Advanced Member

(salam)

The simpelest of answers would be...Allah through his infinate mercy and wisdom willed to create man

The question then ofcourse is, why He willed to do so, and there are many answers to that, which we don't "really" need to know...but theres nothing wrong to discuss that, i guess.

waslaam

• Advanced Member

Allah has honored humans by creating them to be His vicegerents on earth. He gave us free will, which makes us higher than the angels.

But our minds as human beings are limited to the boundaries of human perception. We should bear this in mind and never try to bother ourselves with things that fall outside of our scope of understanding. Allah did not need to create us, and therefore, we may never understand why He did.

Yes, Allah is perfect. Yes, He has no need of us; rather, we need Him. When He created us, He did not create us for His own benefit, but for ours. He created us for our advantage, not His.

Allah does not need to be worshiped; rather, we need to worship Him. Our need of God stems from our innate need of someone to help us and give us safety.

Our purpose of existence on earth is more meaningful than being slaves to worldly gains. There can be no meaningful life better than that prescribed by our Creator, Allah. Every act done according to Allah's way is an act of worship. Man is the beneficiary and Allah is in no need. The Qur’an says what means:

*{O mankind! It is you who stand in need of Allah, but Allah is Rich [Free of all wants and needs], Worthy of all praise.}* (Fatir 35:15)

We need Allah to feel our own being and to taste the happiness of life. Our need for Him is like the need of a baby for a supporting father and a merciful mother. We need to admit our powerlessness before Him and to trust Him to give us might and power, since He is the source of all might and power. A prophetic tradition reads:

“O Allah, I seek refuge in You for Your pleasure and against Your wrath and in Your forgiveness and against Your punishment and in You from You. I cannot praise You as You can praise Yourself.” (Reported by Muslim, Abu Dawud, At-Tirmidhi and Ibn Majah.)

Almighty Allah says what means:

*{Allah is He besides Whom there is no god, the Ever-Living, the Self-Subsisting by Whom all subsist; slumber does not overtake Him nor sleep; whatever is in the heavens and whatever is in the earth is His; who is he that can intercede with Him but by His permission? He knows what is before them and what is behind them, and they cannot comprehend anything out of His knowledge except what He pleases, His knowledge extends over the heavens and the earth, and the preservation of them both tires Him not, and He is the Most High, the Great.}* (Al-Baqarah 2:255)

I hope this helps :)

Edited by Kizilbash

• Advanced Member

Yes I clearly understand your statements. Yes he did create us out of his mercy if that's what you say, but in the end does he really need to create us. Does he really need us to go through the ordeals that we often do everyday. And yes i also realize that there are several happy moments in our lives that we tend to cherish, but what I think is that God never needed to create us. It wouldn't change his position. It's a baffling situation, or question that one often asks, but we all want some reassurence that we were created for a particular purpose. Was our creation necessary.

It brings up another point of discussion. If God is All-Knowing, and he knew that his creations would fall into the wrath of hell, then why would he create them to suffer the torment. It's not fair at the end of the day that one prevails over the other, and his destiny is already written. I feel in religion that I can't change my fate so it works against my inclination to be better. I'm at a middle way.

I appreciate and am very well fascinated by the knowledge that some of you brothers have put forth, and at the quickness of your replies to my topic.

Thank You

• Advanced Member

Basically...to re-phrase, Allah (SWT) created man not for his benefit, but for our own. For he the most gracious, most merciful. We are responsible for our own actions and based on our actions, we decide weather we choose Heaven or Hell in the afterlife. Allah (SWT) has made his will clear to us, and it is up to us to follow his will.

• Advanced Member
Basically...to re-phrase, Allah (SWT) created man not for his benefit, but for our own.

Oh! Do you Muslims believe that too? So do I. I was taught that God wanted to share something of Himself with us (Heaven). Of course, we have to earn that....hence comes the problem of evil, and why people suffer.... and sometimes make bad choices. I believe that too. Like you said, Kizilbash:

We are responsible for our own actions and based on our actions, we decide weather we choose Heaven or Hell in the afterlife.

Middle Way, I don't think you're fated to go to Heaven or Hell without any choice in the matter.... or perhaps I misunderstand you... I think God, who knows the beginning or your life and the end of it, knows what you will choose. We're just the folks stuck with the mystery of knowing how it will all turn out for us in the end. It's not such an unhappy thing, though, all this wondering. Keeps life interesting.

• Advanced Member

Simple answer: Why would anyone build an antfarm or aquarium?

Being 'one' and omnipotent can get quite boring I'm sure, that's why he created us maybe. And maybe that's why there is so much conflict in the world, to keep us interesting. If the world was at peace, then why would he bother to let us exist?

Wouldn't you prefer to have an antfarm where all the ants would constantly fight each other? Or where the fish eat other fish?

• Advanced Member

Thanks a lot for all of your replies, yet i still find it quite mind baffling. I'm getting closer to the idea that God is truly merciful and he wanted to express his mercy, love, kindness by rewarding us with an afterlife, just be living a fixed short period in this life.

And Jonnyeh, your giving me the impression that God get's bored.

• Advanced Member

Allah created us out of His Love, but not in the sense of emotional affectation. According to the Islamic philosophers, love is the impression of a perfection on the soul. Actually Allah does not have a soul any more than He has a body, but He not only has but indeed *IS* Knowledge. Just as He is Knowledge He is every Perfection. Given the Absolute Simplicity of the Divine Essence, Allah's Essence, His Knowledge, His Perfection and the impression of His Perfection on His Knowledge are all One and the same. Insofar as Allah knows the Perfection of His own Essence, in this strictly philosophical and non-anthropomorphic sense Allah loves Himself and indeed *IS* His Love for Himself (i.e. "God is Love"). As His Perfections include all perfections - including, but not limited to, those of His creation - by virtue of Knowing His Perfection He already knows the perfections of all things. Hence in loving Himself He loves all things (but to varying degrees). Out of His love for His creatures He in turn created them to realize those perfections He so loved. For us, that perfection is worship of Allah SWT.

• Advanced Member

Salaam.

What was Allah (SWT)'s purpose for creating us?

There are thousands of things we do everyday that we have no purpose for doing, such as watching T.V. or chatting online. So why do we do it? because we can. I don't know why Allah created us and i won't pretend to know either. but you know what? you can ask him urself when u go to Jannat insha Allah. This is what i tell myself everytime i don't know something. I can find out in Jannat insha Allah. The only problem now is getting there. :D

Why is Allah (SWT) putting us through this torment, or so u call it, if he knows our faith already?

Think of it this way: A teacher knows which of his students will fail and which will pass. But he still has to give them a test because if he doesn't, then a student can say that he was unfairly given a bad grade. If Allah (SWT) doesn't give us a test, then some people can complain that they were unfairly put into hell. I know its a hard concept to grasp, but even though Allah (SWT) knows what ur about to do and everything about u, U still have a choice and everything u do is ultimately ur decision.

Wasalaam.

P.S. - i didn't have time to read all the other posts so i might be repeating some stuff other people said. If i do, Sorry.

• Advanced Member

(salam)

I have a purpose in living and that is to worship the Lord.

Through Islam, I learn what is good and bad, I have only one wish and that is to please the Lord. Alhamdullilah He created me with these five senses, how fortunate I am...

I am stil breathing thanks to Allah's mercy upon me.

This is my reason of living.

There are thousands of things we do everyday that we have no purpose for doing, such as watching T.V. or chatting online. So why do we do it? because we can. I don't know why Allah created us and i won't pretend to know either. but you know what? you can ask him urself when u go to Jannat insha Allah. This is what i tell myself everytime i don't know something. I can find out in Jannat insha Allah. The only problem now is getting there.

If you don't know, you should ask. Seek knowledge.

Don't be an ignorant, you might as well kill yourself and that's the fastest way to meet Him.

wassalam, Sarah

• Advanced Member

There are thousands of things we do everyday that we have no purpose for doing, such as watching T.V. or chatting online. So why do we do it? because we can. I don't know why Allah created us and i won't pretend to know either. but you know what? you can ask him urself when u go to Jannat insha Allah. This is what i tell myself everytime i don't know something. I can find out in Jannat insha Allah. The only problem now is getting there. 

If you don't know, you should ask. Seek knowledge.

Don't be an ignorant, you might as well kill yourself and that's the fastest way to meet Him.

wassalam, Sarah

Funny, very funny. but that is not what i meant. Allah created us to worship him. The purpose of us to live it to worship Allah. What is Allah (SWT)'s ultimate purpose for creating us? we can't know that unless we ask him now can we? its like asking, where did Allah come from? we don't know and we shouldn't think like that because the shaitaan in whispering this to us. U r right. if we don't know something, we should ask or study to gain knowledge. but asking or studying about this would be pointless now wouldn't it? Therefore think like i do. I worship Allah, do good deeds, go to jannat insha Allah and then ask Allah (SWT) his purpose for creating us. Get it? B)

Wasalaam.

• 15 years later...
  • Advanced Member

Salam.
The Aim of Human Creation
One of the great calamities of human life is the lack of insight about the purpose of human creation. So long as man has not come to know ‘the goal of life’ he shall always have to face difficulties. This universal law applies to the affluent too. Ask every wealthy person whether his money always keeps him happy, and his answer would be in the negative. The Holy Qur’ān as well the Ahlu’l Bayt (عليه السلام) have informed us that the aim behind human creation is to attain Allāh’s proximity and nearness. And the path that leads one to realize this aspiration is none other than ‘ibādah (obedience and worship). The following verse explains it:
In chapter 51, verse 56, Almighty Allāh says:
“And I have not created the jinn and men except that they should worship Me.”
Here, the aim is indicated as Allāh’s Worship. But is it the ‘final aim of creation?’ To answer this we should look at chapter 15, verse 99 of the Qur’ān, which says:
“And worship your Lord until conviction comes to you.”
Therefore, it is ma‘rifatullāh that is the end. And the closer one gets to his Lord the better his knowledge of his Creator.
Beautiful allusions are made in the following verses too about the ultimate goal of the human being:
1. Imām ‘Alī (عليه السلام) in his famous supplication of Kumayl cries:
“O the Ultimate Hope of the Gnostics.”
2. And in the prayer of ‘Arafah, Sayyid al-Shuhadā (عليه السلام) cries:
“O Allāh, Seek me by Your Mercy until I reach You.”
It is Allāh’s worship that raises the human being so high that he may witness God- of course in his own limitations as explained by some traditions of the Ahlu’l Bayt (عليه السلام).
Having known this, we should realize that since the human being resides in the world of matter and possesses a structure that is submissive to the laws of matter, he is in need of different necessities that may enable him to subsist and achieve his goal in life. Examples of such basic necessities, which we may also term as ‘the means of life’, are food, drink, clothing, a place of shelter, etc.
https://www.al-Islam.org/manifestations-all-merciful-Abu-Muhammad-zaynul-abidin
God’s Mercy is Infinite:
God’s mercy has no limit and does not accept any restriction. The only restriction is in our understanding and therefore we may not be able to grasp all aspects of His mercy. His mercy is all-embracing and all-inclusive; nothing falls out of it.
As Allah says in the Qur’an:
"My mercy has encompassed everything." (7: 156).
You cannot imagine anything not benefiting from His mercy; otherwise, nothing could have come to existence, and even if so, nothing could have survived.
Even the fact that Satan is able to continue his life is due to Allah’s mercy. When Satan insisted on his wrong behaviour and was cursed, he requested God to be given time until the day of Resurrection:
"My Lord. Respite me until the day they will be resurrected." (15:36)
Allah replied:
"You are indeed among the reprieved until the day of the known time." (15:37-38)
Thus, Satan has been given a chance to survive. Of course, this will not continue, as he requested, up to the Day of Resurrection. It will be up to “the day of the known time.” There will be a time before the Day of Resurrection when Satan will be stopped. In any case, even Satan benefits from Allah’s mercy.
God is even merciful to those who do not believe in Him or dare to fight against Him.
The Aim of creating Human Beings:
studying divine attributes and actions and studying the creation of man, guiding him by sending His messages through Prophets, and His generous rewards makes it very clear that everything is based on His mercy.
Indeed, the entire story of creation can be summarized in a few sentences:
The Most merciful God wanted to show His mercy. Therefore, He created this world. He gave His mercy to human beings so that they would become His vicegerents on Earth and become a means of His mercy.
However, many human beings unfortunately failed. They did not represent Him who is the Most merciful. Instead, many human beings represented the enemy of God. These are the devils from among humans1 who instead of being vicegerents of God, they choose to follow and work for Satan.
• 1. Refer to the verse 6:112.
Nevertheless, even if a single person actually becomes the vicegerent of the Most merciful God, this world would be very valuable and worthy of being created. One perfect man overweighs and is much greater than millions of immoral people.
As far as Allah is concerned, everyone can become a good person. He has given everyone this opportunity without any limit.
More importantly, it applies to the entire story of creation.
Undoubtedly there have been many who have become the vicegerents of God. Throughout history, there have been thousands of people who achieved this position. There have been at least one hundred and twenty four thousand Prophets. This is in addition to the infallible successors or holy people who have followed them.
In any case, God wants all mankind to be channels of His mercy to others, and has given them sufficient means and talents to do so. This not only includes people, but also animals, plants or indeed everything that exists, including water, air, and soil.
One important way of becoming merciful is to better understand divine mercy and all that He has done for us.
According to a divine saying (hadith-e Qudsi) which has been narrated in many sources and from different Imams, such as Imam Baqir (a), Imam Reza (a), and Imam Asqari (a), God set up a propagation strategy for Moses. For example, Imam Baqir (a) says that God told Moses:
Allah says: "Oh Moses! Love me and make my people love me. 2
• 2. Mishkat al-Anwar, Tabarsi, p. 332, (Najaf: Haydariyyah Library, 1385 l.A.H).
I believe this can be adopted as a general policy in our life. If a person is able to love Allah and make other people love Him, he will attain all that is good.
We should constantly evaluate our performance and progress in this regard. People should evaluate how much they love Allah and how much they have made their children, colleagues, neighbours, relatives, and friends love Allah.
The success of any person can be judged by this evaluation. The best people are those who love Allah the most and are able to make others feel the same way. Moses replied:
"My Lord. You know that there is no one more beloved to me than you. However, [tell me] how can I make your love the greatest thing in hearts of Your servants?"
At this point Allah told him:
"Remind My servants of My favours and My blessings for them."
In this way, God taught Moses that he did not need to do anything but to tell people about the good things that Allah has done for them. God wanted Moses to remind people of all the blessings they have received from Him.
Thus, Allah told Moses to remind people of the good things He does for them. Explaining why He wants Moses to do so, He says:
"Because they do not remember from Me except good."
Allah does not need anyone, but still, out of His mercy, He does not want even a single person to go astray.
Allah wants the sinners to repent and go back to Him.
In a divine saying, we read:
"If the people who have turned their back on Me knew how much I love them to come back they would have died out of joy."
God does not harm people and nothing bad has ever come to them from Him.
"Whatever good happens for you is from God and whatever bad occurs for you is from yourself." (4:79)
Source URL:
https://www.al-Islam.org/message-thaqalayn/vol11-n4-2011/understanding-God-s-mercy-part-1-Mohammed-Ali-shomali
Imam Sadiq (a) was asked by Abu Basir about the meaning of the verse 11:118-119 and Imam replied:
"God created man so that they do something to deserve His mercy and then He would give them His mercy." (Al-Tawhid by Saduq, p. 404)
Thus, God wanted to give opportunity to people to do good deeds so that they would deserve extra mercy from Him.
https://www.al-Islam.org/message-thaqalayn/vol-12-no-1-spring-2010/understanding-God-s-mercy-part-2-Mohammed-Ali-shomali