Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله

Ribena and Lucozade are HARAM!

Rate this topic

• Advanced Member

Both Ribena and Lucozade are HARAM as they both contain traces of Alcohol.

This is a known fact and i have personally found it to be true, as both Ribena and Lucozade have replied by saying that their products do contain traces of Alcohol.

And for those who still don't believe this, please don't hesistate to find out for yourself by contacting the companies.

I now advise every Muslim to stop drinking these 2 drinks for their own sake and to forward this to all muslims.

• Advanced Member

(salam)

There is a certain limit in fiqh of the actual amount of alcohol you are allowed. It is a very minute amount, and it may well be the traces in ribena and lucozade are less than that.

I daresay it would take probably a truckload of ribena to actually get you drunk, however you would probably have collapsed before being able to take in that amount because that much sugar must certainly kill you.

(I personally advise everyone to not drink ribena anyway, cos percentage wise it has more sugar than coke)

• Advanced Member
yes a few small amount of alcohol is allowed

like u r allowed to eat those balck forest cakes which have 1 teaspoon os brandy in them

it this ribena that violet color grape juice ur talking bot

(salam)

Sis,

You are not allowed to knowlingly consume alcohol especially if it is from Brandy in a cake.

• Advanced Member

(salam)

I have never heard of Ribena or Lucozade, so I guess I'm safe. :)

But as for small amounts of alcohol being allowed, it depends on your marja. Some allow it, some don't.

Examples:

Sayyid Khamene'i: (doesn't allow small amount)

Question 317: There is a substance called 'kafeer' which is used in food and medical industries, and during fermentation 5% to 8% alcohol is produced in the final product, and this small quantity of alcohol does not cause any kind of intoxication. Is there any problem from the shar 'i viewpoint in using this substance?

A: The alcohol present in the product, if it is itself intoxicating, is najis and prohibited, even if it is not intoxicating for the consumer due to its presence in a small quantity and being mixed with the thing produced. But if there is a doubt as to its being intoxicant in itself or as to its being originally a liquid, the rule will differ.

Sayyid Fadlullah: (allows small amount)

Q: When is beer considered lawful to drink as non-alchoholic?

A: The percentage that makes the beer lawful to drink is the one that could be considered as virtually as non-existent and it is usually very much less than 1% according to the experts in this field. This percentage ranges between 0.05% and 0.03%.

WaSalaam, Hajar

What kind of a Muslim knowingly takes alcohol in their system, no matter what the amount?

This is when you are such into Taqlid and forgetting the actual rules of Islam. These marja-e-taqlid are ruining Islam with their own personal rules to suit their lifestlyes.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 8 years later...
  • Basic Members

We simply cannot avoid from consuming alcohol in many natural or process food, some in fruits, honey, vinegar.

Sorry but some of you are mistaken.  The Islamic scholar had ruled that naturally occuring alcohol is halal to muslim as long as it is below 0.5% percent and not intoxicating.  Additive alcohol is not halal, it should be naturally occuring due to natural fermentation or fermentation process that is a must in the food production. Alcohol that is added to cake is not halal sorry. Alcohol in vinegar is halal as the phrophet had said so. And the Quran promotes honey as medicine. It might contain a little alcohol due to natural fermentation of sugar.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Advanced Member

(salam)

I have never heard of Ribena or Lucozade, so I guess I'm safe. smile.gif

But as for small amounts of alcohol being allowed, it depends on your marja. Some allow it, some don't.

Examples:

Sayyid Khamene'i: (doesn't allow small amount)

Question 317: There is a substance called 'kafeer' which is used in food and medical industries, and during fermentation 5% to 8% alcohol is produced in the final product, and this small quantity of alcohol does not cause any kind of intoxication. Is there any problem from the shar 'i viewpoint in using this substance?

A: The alcohol present in the product, if it is itself intoxicating, is najis and prohibited, even if it is not intoxicating for the consumer due to its presence in a small quantity and being mixed with the thing produced. But if there is a doubt as to its being intoxicant in itself or as to its being originally a liquid, the rule will differ.

Sayyid Fadlullah: (allows small amount)

Q: When is beer considered lawful to drink as non-alchoholic?

A: The percentage that makes the beer lawful to drink is the one that could be considered as virtually as non-existent and it is usually very much less than 1% according to the experts in this field. This percentage ranges between 0.05% and 0.03%.

WaSalaam, Hajar

For a start, I think (Sayyid Khamene'i: (doesn't allow small amount)) is right when he says that if it is najasah, the quantity does not matter. We are wrong to discuss khamar in the light of its intoxicating abilities. But I have heard that khamar when cooked to 1/4 of its original size, it is permissable and in this context, no longer regarded as najasah.

As for naturally content of alcohol is not wrong to consume, as in vinegar. But what actually is the question, najasah or intoxicating characteristic that is issue in Fiqh?

Edited by wrangler