Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله
Sign in to follow this  
SNaqvi1214

Chemical Henna

Rate this topic

(salam)

sisters!

does anyone know how to identify chemical henna? my aunt is visiting from pakistan and brought me some mehndi, which i happily applied taking for granted that it was natural mehndi- made of herbs. but recently i'm noticing that my skin seems to be peeling a bit and now i dont think the henna was natural... the dark peel gives way to orange-brown colored skin, what one would expect when the henna began to fade... :unsure:

please someone help, i heard you cant do wudhu with chemical henna applied, and if i cant do wudhu that means my salaat isnt accepted.

wasalam.

Edited by SNaqvi1214

(salam)

Most henna from pakistan or anywhere is probably not 100% pure as there is a pressure to obtain a rich colour so chemicals are usually added. I don't know how to test for purity, but pure or not it sounds like your skin is reacting to it.

As for wudhu, as far as I'm aware wudhu would not be allowed if the henna was creating a barrier on your skin. Does it stain your skin like a dye or does it apear to have a 'skin'?I'm pretty certain that a stain will be acceptable.

your sister

Syeda

it appears to be stained, like i can see the tiny lines of my hands and my fingerprints.

it interesting you say my skin is reacting to it, becuase i never had a reaction to mehndi before.

but my skin is supersensative, like last week i used a pinch of bath & body work's sweat pea (i love that scent!) and my hands first got really itchy, then i had small bumps all over my skin, which turned into tiny cuts. it burned even if i put on sensative-skin-formulated lotion.

but back to this henna....

Edited by SNaqvi1214

salaam alaikum

Maybe your hands are still recovering from last week and just reacted weird with something new on them. Inshallah it will get better. You might want to try PHISODERM brand they do soaps and lotions and I think they branched out into acne care as well. When I used to work at a pharmacy alot of people with really sensitive skin used tis brand. You can find it in just about any store.

wa salaam

Edited by lilacfatima

It's really nasty when the chemical mehndi starts to peel. The hand feels fluffy (not sure if this would be the adjective to use) when you touch something because of all the skin peeling off. THis didn't used to happen before. It used to fade away.

Does anyone know where to obtain a purer form of mehndi?

Edited by mz7eighty6

Salaam alaikum,

I wouldn't use any of the pre-mixed hennas. Get the ground leaves and mix it yourself, cause most of those pre-mixed ones seem to have metalic dyes added.

WaSalaam, Hajar

PS: Henna stains the skin and doesn't form a barrier. Even the ones with metalic dyes don't make a barrier. So your wudu wouldn't be effected.

WaSalaam, Hajar

Edited by Hajar

(salam)

When I first look at the title, I thought of chemical Ali :P .... ohh I didn't know there is such a thing as chemical in henna.. I always buy which comes in packets.

Can you put henna on your hair? Is there such a thing? :unsure:

salaamu alaikum

I recall awhile go here in the states 'colored mehendi" was very very popular and people couldnt understand why they were breaking out and even getting sick from repeated use from "natural black henna" or "natual blue henna" and noone understood that hello...henna is a ruddy color on the skin and in the hair, anything different from this isnt 100% natural and does contain oodles of chemicals.

sister, ive used the pakistani henna before and I never had that problem because the kind Ive used what still in the leaf kind and id hafta grind it up by hand (rare to find though) may i suggest not using Pakistani or Indian henna for awhile stick to stuff from the arab countries...and make sure its NOT imported from the subcontinent.

also...Ive noticed ALOt of Pakistani henna esp if its premixed, prepackaged and ready to use uses excessive amounts of Clove Oil and similar additives while naturally dirived are known to cause MAJOR allergic reactions. back when I did mehendi as a side Job in High School I had to ask the women what they were allergic too before I used Clove Oil in the mix. Even on me (who has almost 99.9% skin tolerance to like everything and almost never breaks out from anything)...alitle to much clove oil makes me break out. its very strong stuff

m'a salaa,a

bailey